Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2014, 12:06   #6751
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
You can try this detour also:
Pollachi - Kollenode - Alathur - Chelekkara - Wadakancherry - Thrissur. I have been on this stretch before. Very Good roads but narrow.
Roads are good, but longer, and traffic is almost the same as it is on the NH47. The latter has good surface, so the longer route does not offer any advantage in terms of comfort or time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistakenguy View Post
This is the only curse with Kuthiran. This stretch has two or three notorious points where trucks break down all the time. I am eagerly waiting for the 4 laning of this section to be completed at the earliest.
Actually, trucks can break down just about anywhere on that gradient. And regardless of the location, it causes kilometres and kilometres long snarls on either side. There were rumours that it's going to be 6 lanes, no idea if it's true!.
Old 25th April 2014, 14:31   #6752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman
Thanks for your detailed update .Can we assume that you took the NH47 for this ~100km stretch? Are there alternate routes that may be faster? Would it be faster driving the extra 30km through Pollachi (route)
IMO, Pollachi route is faster after 9pm. Its best for those who are looking for butter smooth surface.
I did Pollachi route 4 times within last two months and the local traffic was high all the way. At the same time, traffic flow on NH47 is faster, though its crowded.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 17:41   #6753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
Thanks for your detailed update .Can we assume that you took the NH47 for this ~100km stretch? Are there alternate routes that may be faster? Would it be faster driving the extra 30km through Pollachi (route)

Yes, I took NH47 through and through. Alternate routes may be faster, but NH47 is not bad considering you can keep moving. Others may have answered your queries on Pollachi (and other alternative) routes.

From the end of L&T Bypass to Walayar checkpost, the roads are bad. After Walayar, lots of constructions and diversions but nothing that you can not negotiate during day time. My strong advise is to avoid night-time driving on this road. After crossing Palghat, the roads are average but you wont be cursing anyone like you may do after L&T bypass.

If you have an SUV kind of a vehicle, all these stretches are a breeze. If you have a low ceiling sedan, your drive will be a slow one.

Between April 6th and now, I expect a lot of changes for the better.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 19:43   #6754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Y...My strong advise is to avoid night-time driving on this road. ..
I am planning a night time drive, as I find driving through Kerala during the day very difficult due to traffic congestion. Driving through the short Alathur to Vandakancherry stretch was like driving on the surface of the moon. Huge potholes! And blinding headlights from oncoming heavy vehicles who would do anything to avoid the potholes even if it meant driving on the wrong side of the road. That 10km took me 30 minutes. This was last year.
Old 26th April 2014, 14:31   #6755
Senior - BHPian

Did Kochi-Bangalore yesterday.

Kochi-Trichur-Coimbatore City - Mettuppalayam-Kottagiri-Ooty-Masinagudi-Mysore-Bidadi-NICE Road-E.City.

Kochi-Coimbatore ia already discussed here in detail.

Coimbatore-Mettuppalayam: Road surface is smooth with a very short four lane stretch. Traffic is very thick and at some point of time I thought even Perinthalmanna-Ooty could be stress free. Traffic was thick from Mannuthy till Mettuppalayam with a lorry broke down in Kuthiran.

Mettuppalam-Kothagiri-Ooty: I prefer this route over traditional one. The surface is butter smooth with sparse traffic. Advantage of a Chief minister staying there.

We left Kochi at 7am and reached Ooty by 1.30pm with breakfast break and another break at Kothagiri.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140426_141647.png
Views: 998
Size:  307.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20140426_141756.png
Views: 1017
Size:  424.8 KB

Ooty-Masinagudi-Mysore: The cops diverted all traffic through longer Gudallur route. We managed to use some local contacts and finally he allowed us. Road condition is excellent except for the narrow stretch after Masinagudi.

Left Ooty at 4.15 pm and reached Mysore near Vikram Hospital at 8pm. A very relaxed drive with 30 mins break at Gundlupet CCD.

Mysore-Bangalore: Left Mysore at 10.20pm and reached E.City via NICE road at 1.10am with 50 mins breat at Hotel Empire Maddur for dinner.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 14:52   #6756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Did Kochi-Bangalore yesterday.
How frequently you drive b/w BGLR and Cochin? All in your Lancer?
Old 26th April 2014, 22:42   #6757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
I am planning a night time drive, as I find driving through Kerala during the day very difficult due to traffic congestion. Driving through the short Alathur to Vandakancherry stretch was like driving on the surface of the moon. Huge potholes! And blinding headlights from oncoming heavy vehicles who would do anything to avoid the potholes even if it meant driving on the wrong side of the road. That 10km took me 30 minutes. This was last year.
I've had to do few night drives from Coimbatore to Thrissur in my Linea recently. Not that I enjoy these very much..
The road is bad on the TN side, okayish from Walayar to Vadakkanchery though you will likely hit the occasional deep pothole if you drive at night thanks to the blinding reckless long distance buses that abound on this route. From Vadakkanchery to Mannuthy, the road is good but narrow. Overall much improved compared to last year. Takes less than three hours in moderate traffic.

The Alathur-Chelakara route will add another half an hour, with no advantage, as you'll already have passed the bad stretches by the time you reach Alathur. Pollachi route can help avoid the bad stretches but is considerably longer.

Last edited by one-77 : 26th April 2014 at 22:47.
Old 27th April 2014, 01:08   #6758
BHPian

Hi all
I wish to drive from Kottayam to Bangalore and back with my wife some time soon. What are the route options available? Will the route through Kumaly - Cumbum be too long? Veterans please do suggest your opinions. Since this would be my first long drive (>350 km) what are the preparations I need to take?
Old 27th April 2014, 08:23   #6759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin

How frequently you drive b/w BGLR and Cochin? All in your Lancer?
I usually do one or two round trips in a month, depending on family needs. Some trips are on an Ertiga diesel.

@Anilagdr: I think you should consider Kumily route over NH47, if you are comfortable with little ghat driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr
Since this would be my first long drive (>350 km) what are the preparations I need to take?
The roads are good, straight and tempting to do high speeds. Do keep in mind your safe braking distance

Keep your documents ready including a valid PUC and insurance. Retain toll receipts, it will help you in case of a RTO check. Its a very relaxed drive once you exit Kerala.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th April 2014 at 12:51. Reason: merging consecutive posts
Old 27th April 2014, 10:51   #6760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post

There were rumours that it's going to be 6 lanes, no idea if it's true!.
Yes silversteed. NHAI is developing Wadakkancheri-Mannuthy section as a 6 lane highway with a 1.5KM tunnel at Kuthiran. They started the work 2 years back, but got stopped due to land acquisition problems. Seems the land is fully acquired now and work will restart any time now.
Old 27th April 2014, 12:34   #6761
BHPian

Need help on driving directions Bangalore to Pothencode, yet to decide since there is an option to stay over at uncles place at Irinjalakuda or drive straight through via Salem -Namakkal- Madurai-Rajapalyam- Tenkasi and come back to uncles place on return.
Old 27th April 2014, 12:41   #6762
BHPian

Quote:
@Anilagdr: I think you should consider Kumily route over NH47, if you are comfortable with little ghat driving.
Thanks coolclouds, could you give me the full route? How long will the journey take?

Quote:
The roads are good, straight and tempting to do high speeds. Do keep in mind your safe braking distance

Keep your documents ready including a valid PUC and insurance. Retain toll receipts, it will help you in case of a RTO check. Its a very relaxed drive once you exit Kerala.
Again thanks a bunch. I will keep your advice in mind.
Old 27th April 2014, 17:23   #6763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
Hi all
I wish to drive from Kottayam to Bangalore and back with my wife some time soon. What are the route options available? Will the route through Kumaly - Cumbum be too long? Veterans please do suggest your opinions. Since this would be my first long drive (>350 km) what are the preparations I need to take?
I have driven on this route (Bangalore-Hosur-krishnagiri-Salem-karur-dindigul-Vathlagundu-Theni-Cumbum-kumily) before. I believe toll will be collected on the Dindigul-Vathlagundu stretch. Till Dindigul, it is NH7 and then onwards extended 2 lane roads till the kumily ghat.
Take appropriate breaks while driving and leave early.

Happy journey
Old 27th April 2014, 19:11   #6764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Till Dindigul, it is NH7 and then onwards extended 2 lane roads till the kumily ghat.
Take appropriate breaks while driving and leave early.

Happy journey
OK, great. That was nice of you. Would yo be in a position to tell me how long it could take. Also I suppose this is the route that gives less strain to the driver, since I am OK with ghat roads to Kumaly.
Old 27th April 2014, 21:00   #6765
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any update on Kochi-Munnar section? Is the road good now?

Most Viewed