Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2014, 23:17   #7036
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL07 View Post
Are there any speed cams on the MC Road and would it be advisable to use the Kuthattukulam-Uzhavoor-Thengana-Thiruvalla route ?
If you know the way, the Uzhavoor-Marangattupally-Manarkad-Thengana route is a much better option. Traffic on MC road between Muvattupuzha and Thiruvalla is heavy to very heavy at most times and this alternate route is much more stress-free and will probably save you some time as well.

But "knowing the way" is the key here. There are several junctions on the way which don't have proper direction boards, so make sure you chart out the route in advance and use a GPS device to make sure you're following the correct route.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 12:48   #7037
BHPian

Hi All,
I will be travelling to Thodupuzha, Kerala this weekend from Bangalaore. This will be the first road trip to Kerala although i have done several to Chennai, Mysore, Hyderabad, Coorg...
Any pointers with best route all highly appreciated.
I was thinking of taking the road via Salem-Coimbatore-Thrissur-Thodupuzha...Is this route a good route?
Old 7th July 2014, 15:46   #7038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anugrahlall View Post
Hi All,
I will be travelling to Thodupuzha, Kerala this weekend from Bangalaore. This will be the first road trip to Kerala although i have done several to Chennai, Mysore, Hyderabad, Coorg...
Any pointers with best route all highly appreciated.
I was thinking of taking the road via Salem-Coimbatore-Thrissur-Thodupuzha...Is this route a good route?
Salem-Cbe-Thrissur-Angamaly-MC Road-Perumbavoor-Thodupuzha is the best option.

To avoid CBE and the bad sections of Walayar you can take the Perundurai-Kangayam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakencheri-Mannuthi route.This is assuming Kuthiran and NH47 between Vadakencheri and Mannuthy is still holding good.
Old 8th July 2014, 08:53   #7039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Salem-Cbe-Thrissur-Angamaly-MC Road-Perumbavoor-Thodupuzha is the best option.

To avoid CBE and the bad sections of Walayar you can take the Perundurai-Kangayam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakencheri-Mannuthi route.This is assuming Kuthiran and NH47 between Vadakencheri and Mannuthy is still holding good.
What about the route through Thodupuzha-Vannappuram-Vellathooval-Rajakkad-Pooppara-Theni to reach Dindigul-Salem-Bangalore? Google maps shows the distance is 582kms which is 30kms more than conventional route through Thrissur-Palakkad route.
Old 8th July 2014, 12:39   #7040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is assuming Kuthiran and NH47 between Vadakencheri and Mannuthy is still holding good.
I had travelled on the NH between Thrissur and Palakkad about 10 days back. The road is in good shape in most places. There are big potholes in some places where flyover construction is taking place.
Old 8th July 2014, 15:10   #7041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
What about the route through Thodupuzha-Vannappuram-Vellathooval-Rajakkad-Pooppara-Theni to reach Dindigul-Salem-Bangalore? Google maps shows the distance is 582kms which is 30kms more than conventional route through Thrissur-Palakkad route.
The ghat sections would slow you down plus there was a lot of road work in progress before theni.
Old 8th July 2014, 17:51   #7042
Senior - BHPian

Now you dont have to worry much about the speedcams, seat belt rules etc in Kerala as Mr Rishiraj Singh is no longer the transport commissioner. I am sure almost all of the changes brought about by him will be dismantled over the next few months. Already heard news that private bus owners have started removing speed governors and started re-installing TVs and audio systems. Also some of the speed cams in many NH sections have already stopped working and many of the roadside traffic police inspection posts have been removed. Back to the square one... :(
Old 8th July 2014, 20:14   #7043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Now you dont have to worry much about the speedcams, seat belt rules etc in Kerala as Mr Rishiraj Singh is no longer the transport commissioner. I am sure almost all of the changes brought about by him will be dismantled over the next few months. Already heard news that private bus owners have started removing speed governors and started re-installing TVs and audio systems. Also some of the speed cams in many NH sections have already stopped working and many of the roadside traffic police inspection posts have been removed. Back to the square one... :(

Just goes onto show how powerful the private bus lobby is in Kerala.Else imagine with the amount of Keralites in Bangalore there is still just a handful of trains from bangalore to kerala.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 22:25   #7044
BHPian

Hi ,

Am planning a Bangalore - Kochi trip on Friday . The planned route is as follows:
(have broken it into sectors, to facilitate discussion and seek advice)

* Bangalore -Hosur-Palakode-Dharmapuri-Omalur
* Omalur-Sankari-Bhavani-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkencherry
* Vadakkencherry - Mannuthy- Ernakulam.

I could use some help on the following queries :

1. On approaching Omalur, is there a landmark for turning away from NH7, into
Sankari ?
2. In earlier trips, have not seen any board at Avinashi for turning into Palldam/Pollachi.
is there a landmark for this turning ?
3. Pollachi is expected to be chaos(major junction). Any landmark for the turning to
Vadakkencherry ?

The main reason for asking is that I will be starting in the afternoon, hence will be
reaching the above junctions in the evening/night.
Any help will be appreciated.

Venu
Old 8th July 2014, 23:00   #7045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Hi ,

Am planning a Bangalore - Kochi trip on Friday . The planned route is as follows:
(have broken it into sectors, to facilitate discussion and seek advice)

* Bangalore -Hosur-Palakode-Dharmapuri-Omalur
* Omalur-Sankari-Bhavani-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkencherry
* Vadakkencherry - Mannuthy- Ernakulam.

I could use some help on the following queries :

1. On approaching Omalur, is there a landmark for turning away from NH7, into
Sankari ?
2. In earlier trips, have not seen any board at Avinashi for turning into Palldam/Pollachi.
is there a landmark for this turning ?
3. Pollachi is expected to be chaos(major junction). Any landmark for the turning to
Vadakkencherry ?

The main reason for asking is that I will be starting in the afternoon, hence will be
reaching the above junctions in the evening/night.
Any help will be appreciated.

Venu
Firstly with an afternoon start going via Palacode to Omalur isnt a great idea imho-I am sure you have your own reasons for it.

You would see Salem Airport board very prominently to your left,the first median break after that you would see Omalur Town iirc,take the right and go through Omalur town to rejoin NH7 at Sankagiri via Tharamangalam.

I wouldnt suggest that you take the route from Avinashi via Mangalam to Palladam considering the fact that you would be doing it closer to dusk.The railway overbridge construction over Mangalam RS would leave you in a mess.Instead I would suggest you go via Perundurai-Kangayam-Palladam.

Coming from Palladam,go straight till the end of Palladam Road at Pollachi,take a right and proceed towards the signal junction at dead end with the Pollachi bus stand to your left.At the junction take a slight right followed by a left onto Palakkad Road.Proceed for three kilometers till you encounter a Forest Checkpost.At the CP,take a left and keep straight for approx 2kms and the road ends on the Kollengode road.Landmark:Axis Bank ATM in front of you where the road ends dead.Take right at the junction.Left takes you back to Pollachi via Zamin Uthukuli.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 00:39   #7046
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly with an afternoon start going via Palacode to Omalur isnt a great idea imho-I am sure you have your own reasons for it.

Coming from Palladam,go straight till the end of Palladam Road at Pollachi,take a right and proceed towards the signal junction at dead end with the Pollachi bus stand to your left.At the junction take a slight right followed by a left onto Palakkad Road.Proceed for three kilometers till you encounter a Forest Checkpost.At the CP,take a left and keep straight for approx 2kms and the road ends on the Kollengode road.Landmark:Axis Bank ATM in front of you where the road ends dead.Take right at the junction.Left takes you back to Pollachi via Zamin Uthukuli.
Thanks a bunch . Starting in the afternoon is a compulsion, so can't help it. I hope the route chosen (especially after Pollachi) is not very lonely !
Instead of taking the Palakkad road, is there directions to directly hop onto Kollengode road at Pollachi itself (or is it too complicated ??) .
Again, on the Kollengode road, is it OK to head straight to Vadakkencherry thro Nemmara , instead of deviating to Alathur ?
Old 9th July 2014, 01:03   #7047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Thanks a bunch . Starting in the afternoon is a compulsion, so can't help it. I hope the route chosen (especially after Pollachi) is not very lonely !
Instead of taking the Palakkad road, is there directions to directly hop onto Kollengode road at Pollachi itself (or is it too complicated ??) .
Again, on the Kollengode road, is it OK to head straight to Vadakkencherry thro Nemmara , instead of deviating to Alathur ?
You can take this road to directly get onto the Kollengode road.However it runs via the market for some distance.

https://goo.gl/maps/zMCN9

Kollengode to Vadakkencheri take this route https://goo.gl/maps/yGh32 At Kollengode keep on the main road coming from Pollachi and you would reach a small temple on the road where the right fork is the Alathur road via pallassana.Take the left fork which is the road to Nemmara-Vadakkencheri.There is a worn out board with distances to Kochi and Gurvayur at that point,Kollengode onwards till you reach the NH47 if its late night,you are not going to find a soul on the road.

Go to Alathur if only you intend to take the Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-Kochi route,else no point back pedalling to Alathur and then coming back to Vadakkencheri.
Old 9th July 2014, 02:24   #7048
BHPian

Route query :

I will be driving down from bangalore to GAVI and then to Munnar before heading backto bangalore. Which is the best route to take and how are the road conditions there?

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th July 2014, 02:32   #7049
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Route query :

I will be driving down from bangalore to GAVI and then to Munnar before heading backto bangalore. Which is the best route to take and how are the road conditions there?

Thanks in advance.
The route to Gavi is via Dindigul Theni Vandiperiyar.
Gavi to Munnar is via Kattapana Poppara.
Munnar to Bangalore is again a standard route either via Theni Dindigul or Udumalpet Dharapuram.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 02:33   #7050
BHPian

Quote:
You can take this road to directly get onto the Kollengode road.However it runs via the market for some distance.

https://goo.gl/maps/zMCN9

Kollengode to Vadakkencheri take this route https://goo.gl/maps/yGh32 At Kollengode keep on the main road coming from Pollachi and you would reach a small temple on the road where the right fork is the Alathur road via pallassana.Take the left fork which is the road to Nemmara-Vadakkencheri.There is a worn out board with distances to Kochi and Gurvayur at that point,Kollengode onwards till you reach the NH47 if its late night,you are not going to find a soul on the road.

Go to Alathur if only you intend to take the Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-Kochi route,else no point back pedalling to Alathur and then coming back to Vadakkencheri.
Thanks Ranjith, for the details.

Most Viewed