Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2014, 03:35   #7051
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The route to Gavi is via Dindigul Theni Vandiperiyar.
Gavi to Munnar is via Kattapana Poppara.
Munnar to Bangalore is again a standard route either via Theni Dindigul or Udumalpet Dharapuram.
Thanks ampere. Any idea how the roads are between these places?
Old 9th July 2014, 06:49   #7052
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Bangalore-Dindigul is NH7 all the way and is excellent, just some diversions on Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch for 6 laning work.
Dindigul-Vathlagundu-Theni is also good with the earlier widening works almost complete.
I'm not sure about stretches beyond Theni.

Alternate route:Bangalore-Salem on NH7-Turn off to Nh47 at Salem-Perundurai-Turn off to Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalaipet is also is good condition. From Udumalaipet you need to go via Marayoor to Munnar, not too sure about conditions it's a forest section from Marayoor.

Last edited by NPV : 9th July 2014 at 06:52.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 07:49   #7053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
- Bangalore-Dindigal : 4-lane all the way.
- Dindigul-Theni : Wide 2-lane
- Theni-Kumily-Vandiperiyar : A bit rough, but decent.
- I dont know about the last stretch from Vandiperiyar to Gavi.

Please note the regions around Idukki district would tend to get heavy rainfall.
So please check that part while driving from Gavi to Munnar. Roads around Idukki are in general decent and nice meander along rubber plantations. From Poppara its the regular NH49 (Theni Munnar road). This road is narrrow at some places. It was quite bad recently. They had closed it for repairs. Need to check whats the latest for that stretch.

Also as NPV mentioned, for the last leg (Munnar-Bangalore) you should come via Udumalpet. Gives you nice views along 90km of hilly road.

That would mean you need to take Munnar-Udumalpet-Dharapuram-Kangeyam-Perundurai-Salem-Krishnagiri-Bangalore route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Alternate route:Bangalore-Salem on NH7-Turn off to Nh47 at Salem-Perundurai-Turn off to Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalaipet is also is good condition. From Udumalaipet you need to go via Marayoor to Munnar, not too sure about conditions it's a forest section from Marayoor.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 09:53   #7054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Hi ,

Am planning a Bangalore - Kochi trip on Friday . The planned route is as follows:
(have broken it into sectors, to facilitate discussion and seek advice)

* Bangalore -Hosur-Palakode-Dharmapuri-Omalur
* Omalur-Sankari-Bhavani-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkencherry
* Vadakkencherry - Mannuthy- Ernakulam.

I could use some help on the following queries :

1. On approaching Omalur, is there a landmark for turning away from NH7, into
Sankari ?
2. In earlier trips, have not seen any board at Avinashi for turning into Palldam/Pollachi.
is there a landmark for this turning ?
3. Pollachi is expected to be chaos(major junction). Any landmark for the turning to
Vadakkencherry ?

The main reason for asking is that I will be starting in the afternoon, hence will be
reaching the above junctions in the evening/night.
Any help will be appreciated.

Venu
While nearing salem airport board(left side on the NH), stick to the right side of the road till you see a board showing the direction to omalur town. This passes through tharamangalam and konganapuram before you meet the NH47 after sankagiri toll.
By this you avoid paying toll at Omalur and Sankagiri. I have been on this stretch twice. You can expect traffic at tharamangalam town but apart from this nothing to worry.

Instead of touching avinashi, i would suggest proceed on NH47 till you touch perundurai. Then go via kangeyam, palladam and pollachi.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 16:26   #7055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
While nearing salem airport board(left side on the NH), stick to the right side of the road till you see a board showing the direction to omalur town. This passes through tharamangalam and konganapuram before you meet the NH47 after sankagiri toll.
By this you avoid paying toll at Omalur and Sankagiri. I have been on this stretch twice. You can expect traffic at tharamangalam town but apart from this nothing to worry.

Instead of touching avinashi, i would suggest proceed on NH47 till you touch perundurai. Then go via kangeyam, palladam and pollachi.
Thanks Suresh !

At Perundurai (NH47) , is there a clear sign for the turn off to Kangeyam ? Or, does the board show Pollachi ?
Old 9th July 2014, 16:53   #7056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Suresh !

At Perundurai (NH47) , is there a clear sign for the turn off to Kangeyam ? Or, does the board show Pollachi ?
From NH47 deviation to perundurai is clearly marked. Then you touch kangeyam , palladam and pollachi.

From Kangeyam kindly ask the locals the way to pollachi. Infact when i went on this route , from omalur onwards i went via Tharamangalam, sankagiri, erode, kangeyam,palladam to pollachi. But once you enter Erode city, you have to ask the locals for direction to Kangeyam.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 16:53   #7057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Suresh !

Past 2 consecutive weekends i did Bangalore Coimbatore trips and the 4 lane till L&T bypass is almost complete; now i am planning to take 4 lane all the way till L&T bypass if i am going to Pollachi(Rs.47+31 adds to the toll).

Perundurai / Palladam deviations add length and time, along with the hassle of facing traffic at the intermediate towns.

Alternative roads like the Omalur-Sankari road and Perundurai-Pollachi roads are suggested to be taken in the 11 PM-4 AM timings; during the rest of the time 2 wheelers(in Omalur road) and trucks(Kangeyam-Palladam)adds to the frustration.

Last edited by ramzsys : 9th July 2014 at 16:55.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 17:05   #7058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Past 2 consecutive weekends i did Bangalore Coimbatore trips and the 4 lane till L&T bypass is almost complete; now i am planning to take 4 lane all the way till L&T bypass if i am going to Pollachi(Rs.47+31 adds to the toll).

Perundurai / Palladam deviations add length and time, along with the hassle of facing traffic at the intermediate towns.

Alternative roads like the Omalur-Sankari road and Perundurai-Pollachi roads are suggested to be taken in the 11 PM-4 AM timings; during the rest of the time 2 wheelers(in Omalur road) and trucks(Kangeyam-Palladam)adds to the frustration.
Thanks Ramzys, for the detailed inputs. I may definitely take your advice on the NH47 upto L&T bypass, and then turn left (NH209) to Pollachi (makes sense).
Only one question- AVINASHI- is the bypass fully functional, with the highway brushing past the town, without the hassle of its traffic ?

Rgds,
Old 9th July 2014, 19:00   #7059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ramzys, for the detailed inputs. I may definitely take your advice on the NH47 upto L&T bypass, and then turn left (NH209) to Pollachi (makes sense).
Only one question- AVINASHI- is the bypass fully functional, with the highway brushing past the town, without the hassle of its traffic ?

Rgds,
Avinashi bypass has been long completed.Almost a year back.

Quote:
Thanks Suresh !

Its straight forward,once you enter Perundurai, from the SIPCOT side (Hotel Chennis to your left)its the first major junction as soon as you enter the busy town and you take a right onto the Kangayam road.Continue on the road till it hits a dead end at Kangayam immediately after the Kangayam bus stand to your right.At the dead end,take a right towards Palladam .Heres the entire map: https://goo.gl/maps/iJ3Qn

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 9th July 2014 at 19:07.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 08:08   #7060
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats a very good point. On thing I wanted to know is, does one tend to lose time beyond Avinashi because of city traffic? How much can we budget from Avinashi to NH209 exit on the L&T bypass? Is it a fast moving section? Because if yes, then we can surely come down this far on the 4-lane and then exit to Pollachi to beat the Walayar traffic.

Quote:
If you just see in google the distance from Perundurai to Pollachi its the same either via L&T Bypass or Kangayam/Palladam.

Last edited by ampere : 10th July 2014 at 08:11.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 09:32   #7061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats a very good point. On thing I wanted to know is, does one tend to lose time beyond Avinashi because of city traffic?
There's no traffic in the road at all as it is now a wide 3 lane road each side and easy to get average speed of 65+ kmpl with 80-90 kmph top speeds.

It takes 45 minutes for me from Chengapalli toll gate to reach Hope's college; i presume one can reach the end of L&T bypass by that time!

Most of the flyover speed-HUMPS are flattened; for the rest always watch out for the lead car's brake lights at a distance.

Also, the ~100m rough road at the end of Chengapalli section can come as a rude shock; watch out for this.

Regarding proceeding to further to Kerala, i suppose the Chavadi-Velanthavalam road(or further down to Alathur, to skip Palakkad) can be taken to avoid the Walayar mess. Regular travelers can update on this.

For those who want to experiment(silversteed!), i can confirm that except for the narrow 1 lane road for a few km between B and C, A to B is smooth tarmac with very less traffic.

http://goo.gl/maps/Qv5VZ
ramzsys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 12:25   #7062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding proceeding to further to Kerala, i suppose the Chavadi-Velanthavalam road(or further down to Alathur, to skip Palakkad) can be taken to avoid the Walayar mess. Regular travelers can update on this.
Both Walayar and Velanthavalam are totally jammed as of now. The situation may continue for another day or two. Shall update here. Better take Pollachi route
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 13:38   #7063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the flyover speed-HUMPS are flattened; for the rest always watch out for the lead car's brake lights at a distance.
Those humps that are not flattened, have a signboard placed about 100m or so behind. But, there are places where the signboards remain but the humps flattened out. Can be tricky while driving late at night, because there may not be any lead cars - I've seen these stretches empty many times.
Quote:
Also, the ~100m rough road at the end of Chengapalli section can come as a rude shock; watch out for this.
I've seen many cars overtake trucks and buses before this stretch, and then brake hard on seeing the rough patch - the slow-pokes that were overtaken earlier, coolly drive over the mess, while those who were rushing would be taking it in 1st or 2nd. This, many times includes the overambitious Dusters and Ecosports

Quote:
For those who want to experiment(silversteed!), i can confirm that except for the narrow 1 lane road for a few km between B and C, A to B is smooth tarmac with very less traffic.

http://goo.gl/maps/Qv5VZ
Thanks. Will try the next time, depending on the time of the day. Been a very long time since I've been to that side
Old 10th July 2014, 13:49   #7064
BHPian

Quote:
Thats a very good point. On thing I wanted to know is, does one tend to lose time beyond Avinashi because of city traffic? How much can we budget from Avinashi to NH209 exit on the L&T bypass? Is it a fast moving section? Because if yes, then we can surely come down this far on the 4-lane and then exit to Pollachi to beat the Walayar traffic.

If you just see in google the distance from Perundurai to Pollachi its the same either via L&T Bypass or Kangayam/Palladam.
Yes, Ampere....I did notice the same (117 vs 116 km), but the 4 lane, and absence of traffic (NH47) can make a significant difference.
Old 10th July 2014, 14:37   #7065
BHPian

KOCHI - BANGALORE (VIA SATHYAMANGALAM)

Dear friends,

On my return leg, plan to take the Sathyalamnagalam route , back to Blr.
The tentative route is (in sectors )

1. Ekm - Vadakkencherry-Pollachi -L&T bypass (to avoid Walayar/Coimb)
2. L&T bypass-Karumathampatti-Annur-Sathyamangalam
3. Sathyamangalam - Hassanur-Dimbam-Kollegal (avoiding Chamarajnagar)
4. Kollegal-Malavalli-Kanakpura-Bangalore

Now, only questions are :

1. Is it worth going around Coimb to Annur, or would a more direct plan ( L&T-
Kurichi-Coimb-Sathy Road-Annur ) would be advisable ?

2. The deviation at Hassanur (via Dimbam- SH 38) upto Kollegal - is the forest
road currently good ? (have heard that it is a fabulously scenic, traffic free route).

Rgds,

Last edited by SAPVEN : 10th July 2014 at 15:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks