Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2014, 10:44   #7096
Senior - BHPian

I will be driving down to Thrissur this week from Chennai.

Heard there was a huge road block near Walayar? How is the situation now?

Which route will be good?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th July 2014, 11:18   #7097
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
All clear, as per TV reports. Next episode in this saga would be around 20/7.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 11:51   #7098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My suggestion would be to avoid Walayar, instead use Avinashi - Palladam - Pollachi - Vadakkenchery - Mannuthy route. You get to avoid the mess between Madukkarai and Walayar, as well as pre-empt any traffic hold-ups that can occur anytime, thanks to the construction of a new bridge over the Walayar lake.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 12:36   #7099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
My suggestion would be to avoid Walayar, instead use Avinashi - Palladam - Pollachi - Vadakkenchery - Mannuthy route. You get to avoid the mess between Madukkarai and Walayar, as well as pre-empt any traffic hold-ups that can occur anytime, thanks to the construction of a new bridge over the Walayar lake.
I would go with Steed's recco as well and avoid Walayar completely.The roads are anyways a mess till Palakkad.I would go via Pollachi any day till this NH47 widening is complete,its a never ending migraine headache this NH47 between Mannuthy and Walayar.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 13:18   #7100
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Travelled through Walayar at around 6PM yesterday (14-7-2014), the situation is back to normal, there was no traffic block. However, as mentioned above, the roads are a mess till Palakkad and the rains make it even worse.
TheInterceptor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 13:22   #7101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Thanks coolclouds for the info, would you be able to tell, where from NH47 (coming from Salem) i need to take a deviation to go to Palladam. Any land marks that can give me a hint.
While coming from Salem,as soon as you enter the Avinashi Bypass,take the first flyover,and keep below the second flyover to the left lane and go left onto the Vanjipalayam-Mangalam-Palladam road.

https://goo.gl/maps/bk2IR

The turnoff is approximately around 6-7kms from Maharaja College of Engineering busstop on NH47.
Old 15th July 2014, 18:57   #7102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I would suggest you to drive to salem and then deviate towards perundurai,kangeyam,palladam,pollachi and alathur before you hit NH47 again.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 00:40   #7103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
All clear, as per TV reports. Next episode in this saga would be around 20/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I would go with Steed's recco as well and avoid Walayar completely.The roads are anyways a mess till Palakkad.I would go via Pollachi any day till this NH47 widening is complete,its a never ending migraine headache this NH47 between Mannuthy and Walayar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Travelled through Walayar at around 6PM yesterday (14-7-2014), the situation is back to normal, there was no traffic block. However, as mentioned above, the roads are a mess till Palakkad and the rains make it even worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
While coming from Salem,as soon as you enter the Avinashi Bypass,take the first flyover,and keep below the second flyover to the left lane and go left onto the Vanjipalayam-Mangalam-Palladam road.

https://goo.gl/maps/bk2IR

The turnoff is approximately around 6-7kms from Maharaja College of Engineering busstop on NH47.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I would suggest you to drive to salem and then deviate towards perundurai,kangeyam,palladam,pollachi and alathur before you hit NH47 again.
Wow, thanks a ton guys.

Will take the Palladam - Pollachi route.
Old 18th July 2014, 19:58   #7104
BHPian

Any update on the Nadugani-Perinthalmanna-Guruvayur route?
How are the roads, owing to the kerala monsoons? Anyone traveled on this route off-late?
Old 18th July 2014, 22:58   #7105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
How are the roads, owing to the kerala monsoons? Anyone traveled on this route off-late?
Route is ok.no major problems anywhere,the usual rough surfaces here and there but nothing alarming yet.Update as of two weeks earlier to now.
Old 20th July 2014, 20:50   #7106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Nadugani-Vazhikadavu was relaid few months back.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 22:53   #7107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Ranjit/Coolclouds - Thanks a lot , any idea about the route from Kollengode via Chittilancheri, the last time i heard the road was in a bad shape and the recommendation was to go to Alathur.

Can you also throw your suggestion on Avinashi/Manglam /Paladam route
Hi Sandeep,

The Pollachi - Kollengode-Nenmara-Chittilencheri-Vadakkencherry route is in good condition. Took that route last week (both ways) , to avoid Walayar and Palghat bypass.
Close to Nenmara, there is a nice hotel ( (some) International) which can be used for clean toilets and a break ( left of the road while going from Pollachi to Vadakkencherry).
SAPVEN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 00:06   #7108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Hi Sandeep,

The Pollachi - Kollengode-Nenmara-Chittilencheri-Vadakkencherry route is in good condition. Took that route last week (both ways) , to avoid Walayar and Palghat bypass.
Close to Nenmara, there is a nice hotel ( (some) International) which can be used for clean toilets and a break ( left of the road while going from Pollachi to Vadakkencherry).
Thats Hotel Host International(nothing international about the hotel though)
Old 21st July 2014, 09:06   #7109
Senior - BHPian

Expect traffic blocks as E Declaration process restarts today at Kerala check posts.
Old 21st July 2014, 10:57   #7110
BHPian

I had to do a quick trip from Bangalore to Cherppulassery (near Ottappalam) and back over the weekend. Here's a quick update:

Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Avinashi - Coimbatore - Walayar - Palakkad - Ottappalam - Cherppulassery - same route back - Bangalore

It was a breeze until Coimbatore (well, the Avinashi - Coimbatore stretch is as documented by several others already). L&T bypass is ok, but traffic makes it painful to enjoy the drive (maybe to do with timing). End of L&T bypass to Kerala border is pathetic. There are several deep ditches, especially near the deviations, that traffic gets backed up while waiting to get to the less dangerous side of those ditches. Traffic, rains and rain water in ditches add to the adventure. Also, TN police has set up a couple of check points that adds to traffic backing up quite a bit. Walayar to Palakkad is relatively better and 4-laning is happening at a decent pace. Palakkad - Ottappalam - Cherppulassery is a breeze. Journey back was easy except the Hosur - Bangalore stretch.

I normally take the Chengapalli - Palladam - Pollachi - Vadakkenchery detour to avoid the Coimbatore - Thrissur mess but this time had no option but to go through it. It however has confirmed that the detour is any day better till work is complete on that stretch. Based on other posts, Avinashi - Palladam - Pollachi - Vadakkenchery may be the best alternative.
Mnjdnght is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed