Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2014, 14:06   #7126
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Thanks all for the inputs. We are starting from Vijayanagara at 5 AM. Will decide on the routes based on the destination which is still not decided Mostly we will be halting at Kalpetta for the night. Will update here once we return.
Old 26th July 2014, 18:29   #7127
BHPian

We came via Walayar yesterday night; the traffic jam in Walayar costed us 2hours in the middle of night
Old 26th July 2014, 18:49   #7128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
We came via Walayar yesterday night; the traffic jam in Walayar costed us 2hours in the middle of night
I guess the effect of an extended week end (Tuesday being holiday) is already showing on the NH
Old 26th July 2014, 19:31   #7129
M35
BHPian

Did Palakkad-Munnar via Udumalpet. Not so pleasant and bumpy after Udumalpet in the Forest. Will be taking my regular route, via Perumbavur-Adimaly hereafter.
Old 26th July 2014, 22:41   #7130
Senior - BHPian

There was a vigilance raid at Walayar checkpost, and they recovered a lot of unaccounted money. This raid resulted in more stringent checking of vehicles and caused a longer jam, the long weekend only made things worse. Things are fine today, but there were an unusually high number of excise, RTO and police personnel at the checkpost area.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 22:57   #7131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I would suggest you to drive to salem and then deviate towards perundurai,kangeyam,palladam,pollachi and alathur before you hit NH47 again.
A minor ammendment. Instead of touching Alathur, from Pollachi you can drive directly to Vadakkencherry to reach NH47 (bypassing Alathur also).
Old 29th July 2014, 07:41   #7132
BHPian

I second this idea. The road from Coimbatore right upto Vadakancherry is patchy at best. Last night we came from Vadakancherry to Pollachi and then to Coimbatore. Took us 3hrs 15 mins from Manuthy to Coimbatore but the roads were smooth.
Old 29th July 2014, 19:01   #7133
Senior - BHPian

The Madukkarai-Walayar stretch has gone worse after the rains, and I would suggest everyone headed to Thrissur and beyond, to take Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkenchery route to bypass the mess.

Road widening is going on in full swing beyond Walayar in Kerala territory, a couple of flyovers are already completed and opened to traffic. But the diversions are confusing and you'd find traffic flowing in both directions on either side of the median.
Old 29th July 2014, 21:57   #7134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The Madukkarai-Walayar stretch has gone worse after the rains, and I would suggest everyone headed to Thrissur and beyond, to take Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkenchery route to bypass the mess.

Road widening is going on in full swing beyond Walayar in Kerala territory, a couple of flyovers are already completed and opened to traffic. But the diversions are confusing and you'd find traffic flowing in both directions on either side of the median.
How about the diversion to Velanthavalam?. Is the road in this stretch bad too??
Old 30th July 2014, 22:17   #7135
BHPian

How is Coimbatore - Pollachi strech? Is it safe to drive after dark to Vadakkenchery from Pollachi?
Old 30th July 2014, 22:42   #7136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
How is Coimbatore - Pollachi strech? Is it safe to drive after dark to Vadakkenchery from Pollachi?
Absolutely safe-no problems whatsoever.CBE-Pollachi road is good and you would find its heavily trafficked even after sunset.
Old 30th July 2014, 22:48   #7137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Absolutely safe-no problems whatsoever.CBE-Pollachi road is good and you would find its heavily trafficked even after sunset.
Thanks Ranjit for the prompt response. I was thinking to take this alternate route as coming via Walayar is a nightmare now a days.
Old 30th July 2014, 23:21   #7138
BHPian

Quote:
CBE-Pollachi has heavy traffic through the night - no safety issues. Single lane and you will be able to do 70-80kmph only in stretches. But the road is good. Pollachi to Vadakkenchery is less crowded. Didn't see anything unsafe. Couple of short stretches through thickly forested areas - but the stretches are really short like 1-2 km. Again single lane, it goes through villages / towns in spots and my son counted a couple of dozen toddy shops on the roadside (I guess Kerala is incomplete without them) but no "waterbodies" at least in the early evening hours 7-8pm.
ananth_iy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 08:23   #7139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
How about the diversion to Velanthavalam?. Is the road in this stretch bad too??
No idea how it is at present. Used to be good before the onset of rains.
Quote:
It is safe. Excellent, well-marked 2-lane road. I've never felt unsafe in the Pollachi-Vadakkenchery route even in the dead of the night. However, it need not be the same feeling for everyone, as you won't find even a soul in sight for quite a long distance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
...and my son counted a couple of dozen toddy shops on the roadside (I guess Kerala is incomplete without them) but no "waterbodies" at least in the early evening hours 7-8pm.
You were lucky! You'll find the highest density of "reptilian" population in the 6-10pm hours, enjoying the "waterbodies" after a hard day's work.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 11:39   #7140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ranjit for the prompt response. I was thinking to take this alternate route as coming via Walayar is a nightmare now a days.
You could also consider the Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-NH47.I prefer this one over the vadekkencheri route as its more peace of mind on this route
ranjitp1 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed