Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:07   #7141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
You could also consider the Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-NH47.I prefer this one over the vadekkencheri route as its more peace of mind on this route
Hello sir
Quoting you for your kind attention.
I am leaving for a road trip to Kerela from Mumbai on the 14th of August. Planning to take the NH4 highway and halt at Bangalore at hotel KEYS then next day carry on through Coimbatore and enter Kerela through Walayar checkpost. I am going to Kodungallur in Kerela.
Had done this route recently in June but since it's been raining will I be able to reach Bangalore in 15 hours ?Also is there any other entry point besides Walayar since Walayar has a lot of truck traffic.
Thanks A lot.
Ampere sir pls help me out a bit.
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:28   #7142
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Also is there any other entry point besides Walayar since Walayar has a lot of truck traffic.
From Bangalore to Kodungallur, you could try entering Kerala via the Vazhikkadavu check post. The route is beautiful and you might spot some wild animals in Bandipura/Muthumalai. :-) It will work out to be a bit shorter too (60-80 km, I'd say). Cons are:

- The forest crossings are closed between 9 PM and 6 AM.
- The route is mostly single carriageway (if you go via Mysore then Bangalore-Mysore is dual carriageway).
- The road is bad in patches between Thepakadu and Gudalur.

Approximately, Bangalore-(Chamarajanagar or Mysore)-Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-(Kuttipuram or Pattambi)-Chavakkad-Kodungallur.

Edit: Google Maps shows 547 km for Nelamangala-Kodungallur via GQ and 450 km via Bandipura. Time estimates are similar at about 9 hours.

Last edited by binand : 2nd August 2014 at 09:30.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:33   #7143
BHPian

Quote:
Hello sir
I am leaving for a road trip to Kerela from Mumbai on the 14th of August. Planning to take the NH4 highway and halt at Bangalore at hotel KEYS then next day carry on through Coimbatore and enter Kerela through Walayar checkpost. I am going to Kodungallur in Kerela.
Had done this route recently in June but since it's been raining will I be able to reach Bangalore in 15 hours ?Also is there any other entry point besides Walayar since Walayar has a lot of truck traffic.
Thanks A lot.
Having recently done the Coimbatore - Palakkad route through Walayar I wouldn't recommend that due to traffic, state of roads, ongoing road work, active monsoon etc. You can do Bangalore - Salem - Avinashi - Mangalam - Palladam - Pollachi - Kollengode - Vadakkenchery - Mannuthy - Chalakkudy - Irinjalakkuda - Kodungallur. Vadakkenchery to Mannuthy had good road surface till a month or so back but not sure how it has held up against the monsoon. Alternately, you can try ... Pollachi - Kollengode - Alathur - Wadakkanchery (not Vadakkenchery) - Thrissur (town) - Irinjalakuda - Kodungallur. Thrissur - Irinjalakkuda - Kodungallur stretch in this route would have a decent amount of local traffic and roads are not wide enough (good surface though) to zip through.
Mnjdnght is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 10:41   #7144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
Edit: Google Maps shows 547 km for Nelamangala-Kodungallur via GQ and 450 km via Bandipura. Time estimates are similar at about 9 hours.
Since you are coming via Tumkur, directly go to Mysore instead of coming to Bangalore. It saves time, toll and distance.

Last edited by coolclouds : 2nd August 2014 at 10:44.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 13:46   #7145
Senior - BHPian

All Roads to Kerala

If you have booked at Keys then go via bangalore.if yoy havent then divert off hiriyur to go to mysore via nelligere pandavapura srirangapatna mysore

Next day you can do mysore gudalur nilambur kottakal nh17 kodungallur.mysore kodungallur can be done in 8-9hrs of drive time.

If you are going to take the blr route then do blr avinashi mangalam palladam pollachi kollengode alathur pazhayanannur wadakancheri thrissur cherpu irinjalakuda nadavarambu kodungallur.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Quote:
Hello sir
Thanks A lot.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 2nd August 2014 at 13:47.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 14:56   #7146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Since you are coming via Tumkur, directly go to Mysore instead of coming to Bangalore. It saves time, toll and distance.
The OP indicated he has overnight stay booked in Bangalore.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 18:05   #7147
BHPian

Thanks Alot guys for your response am out now so will update about the route after coming home.
Thanks Alot once again.
Old 2nd August 2014, 21:43   #7148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The OP indicated he has overnight stay booked in Bangalore.
Quote:
If you have booked at Keys then go via bangalore.if yoy havent then divert off hiriyur to go to mysore via nelligere pandavapura srirangapatna mysore

Next day you can do mysore gudalur nilambur kottakal nh17 kodungallur.mysore kodungallur can be done in 8-9hrs of drive time.

If you are going to take the blr route then do blr avinashi mangalam palladam pollachi kollengode alathur pazhayanannur wadakancheri thrissur cherpu irinjalakuda nadavarambu kodungallur.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
From Bangalore to Kodungallur, you could try entering Kerala via the Vazhikkadavu check post. The route is beautiful and you might spot some wild animals in Bandipura/Muthumalai. :-) It will work out to be a bit shorter too (60-80 km, I'd say). Cons are:

- The forest crossings are closed between 9 PM and 6 AM.
- The route is mostly single carriageway (if you go via Mysore then Bangalore-Mysore is dual carriageway).
- The road is bad in patches between Thepakadu and Gudalur.

Approximately, Bangalore-(Chamarajanagar or Mysore)-Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-(Kuttipuram or Pattambi)-Chavakkad-Kodungallur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
Having recently done the Coimbatore - Palakkad route through Walayar I wouldn't recommend that due to traffic, state of roads, ongoing road work, active monsoon etc. You can do Bangalore - Salem - Avinashi - Mangalam - Palladam - Pollachi - Kollengode - Vadakkenchery - Mannuthy - Chalakkudy - Irinjalakkuda - Kodungallur. Vadakkenchery to Mannuthy had good road surface till a month or so back but not sure how it has held up against the monsoon. Alternately, you can try ... Pollachi - Kollengode - Alathur - Wadakkanchery (not Vadakkenchery) - Thrissur (town) - Irinjalakuda - Kodungallur. Thrissur - Irinjalakkuda - Kodungallur stretch in this route would have a decent amount of local traffic and roads are not wide enough (good surface though) to zip through.
Sorry for not being clear I haven't done any bookings yet I said KEYS hotel because I liked the rooms very much when I travelled last month. But as you guys say I guess I will be better off going directly on Mysore road without entering Bangalore. But is there any KEYS equivalent hotel on that route. I need a decent hotel as my father is very picky when it comes to Hotel rooms.

So if I find a decen hotel in Tumkur or a bit later (our capacity for that given day is 1000km) then the route would go as follows:
Mumbai-Kolhapur-Hiriyur-Nelligere-Pandavapura-NICE Road-Bandipur-Vazhikkadavu-Nilambur-Kodungallur. I guess its not possible to do this route at one shot since the Bandipur forest entry closes at 9.00pm, so will have to take a halt.
Old 2nd August 2014, 22:23   #7149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mumbai-Kolhapur-Hiriyur-Nelligere-Pandavapura-NICE Road-Bandipur-Vazhikkadavu-Nilambur-Kodungallur. I guess its not possible to do this route at one shot since the Bandipur forest entry closes at 9.00pm, so will have to take a halt.
Avoid Bandipur route if you are
1. entering Kerala in day time traffic.Bandipur- Vazhikadavu to Kodungallur - Your average speed could be well below 45kmph during day time. if you are lucky and got rain to accompany you, this could be even lower. You may not want to really go through this at the end of 2 full day driving.

Dont trust the 9hr estimate Gmaps is giving. It typically takes 10.5 hrs for me to reach Chalakudy even when covering inside Kerala stretch in night time.

2. If you plan to cross over Bangalore early morning (before 7 AM) - Then It wont take much time.

My suggestion - take overnight stay just before Bangalore. Start at 5 AM from Bangalore so that you are in Walayar around 11-12 and crossing Walayar shouldnt be that bad. Roads are good from Vadakkumcheri. You can take Chalakudy -Mala _ Kodungallor route to save time.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 01:38   #7150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for not being clear I haven't done any bookings yet I said KEYS hotel because I liked the rooms very much when I travelled last month. But as you guys say I guess I will be better off going directly on Mysore road without entering Bangalore. But is there any KEYS equivalent hotel on that route. I need a decent hotel as my father is very picky when it comes to Hotel rooms.

So if I find a decen hotel in Tumkur or a bit later (our capacity for that given day is 1000km) then the route would go as follows:
You have got the route all wrong.

-This is the route if you are taking Salem-Kodungallur route:

https://goo.gl/maps/mJdix

-This is the route if you are taking Hiriyur-Mysore-Kdngllr route:

https://goo.gl/maps/NCGKB

-If taking the Hiriyur diversion,you can stay the night at Mysore.

http://www.staymango.com/hotels/co20...ore-india.html

http://www.countryinns.com/mysore-hotel-in/indcxms

-Panvel-Mysore is approx 1000kms.

Panvel-Pune:1.5hrs
Pune-Hubli:6hrs
Hubli-Hiryur:2.5hrs
Hiriyur-Mysore:3.5-4hrs

-You are better off staying in Keys than in Tumkur.Tumkur only has a Naveen Regency and it is at best avoided.Dont go by the website pics.
http://www.naveenregency.com/tum-overview.php

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 3rd August 2014 at 01:43.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:51   #7151
BHPian

Quote:
https://goo.gl/maps/mJdix

-This is the route if you are taking Hiriyur-Mysore-Kdngllr route:

https://goo.gl/maps/NCGKB

-If taking the Hiriyur diversion,you can stay the night at Mysore.

http://www.staymango.com/hotels/co20...ore-india.html

http://www.countryinns.com/mysore-hotel-in/indcxms

-Panvel-Mysore is approx 1000kms.

Panvel-Pune:1.5hrs
Pune-Hubli:6hrs
Hubli-Hiryur:2.5hrs
Hiriyur-Mysore:3.5-4hrs
Oops,
Thanks alot for jotting down all the points for me.
I have decided to take a halt at Mysore and then continue next day. However I have some queries, How are the road conditions on the Mysore-Kodungallur stretch? Like how is it compared to AH-47? What about the weather conditions?
Thanks alot once again!
Old 3rd August 2014, 11:16   #7152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oops,
Thanks alot for jotting down all the points for me.
I have decided to take a halt at Mysore and then continue next day. However I have some queries, How are the road conditions on the Mysore-Kodungallur stretch? Like how is it compared to AH-47? What about the weather conditions?
Thanks alot once again!

Mysore-Gudalur: Very good,except for a few rough patches between Thepekadu and Gudalur.

Gudalur-Nadugani-Vazhikadavu:Good roads and the ghats are in good shape

Vazhikadavu-Kottakal:Normal kerala roads with good amount of traffic

Kottakal-Kodungallurarts of nh17 and parts of state roads,but wider than the Vazhikadavu kottakal road

NH7-NH47:4 laned till Avinashi,then single lane till Kodungallur.Roads are all in good condition

BLR-Salem: 3hrs
Salem-Avinashi:1.5-2hrs
Avinashi-Pollachi:1.5hrs
Pollachi-Alathur:1-1.5hrs
Alathur-Thrissur:1.5hrs
Thrissur-Kdngllr:1-1.5hrs

Irrespective of the route,your drive time is going to be more or less the same.I do Mysore-Thrissur in about 7.5hrs with stops for lunch and breakfast in a figo.

I do blr-thrissur in about 8-9hrs with stops for breakfast and lunch

Road condition wise:both are good,once you enter kerala you are going to experience dense traffic.

if you are confused,you can take one for your onward drive and the other for your return.Either ways make sure you depart on day one very early.Earlier the better so as to hit the expressway entry by daybreak.I usually leave home at IC Colony,Borivali around 4am and reach Bangalore Ecity by 6pm and its the same timings for Mysore as well,just ensure that you do Hiriyur-Mysore when there is sufficient daylight as at the end of any drive you just want to reach your destination and all of us tend to loosen up on our concentration.you can afford to start a little late after breakfast to kodungallur next day as its a short drive.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 11:31   #7153
BHPian

Quote:

if you are confused,you can take one for your onward drive and the other for your return.Either ways make sure you depart on day one very early.Earlier the better so as to hit the expressway entry by daybreak.I usually leave home at IC Colony,Borivali around 4am and reach Bangalore Ecity by 6pm and its the same timings for Mysore as well,just ensure that you do Hiriyur-Mysore when there is sufficient daylight as at the end of any drive you just want to reach your destination and all of us tend to loosen up on our concentration.you can afford to start a little late after breakfast to kodungallur next day as its a short drive.
All Roads to Kerala-001-small.jpg
Last month we left our house in orlem malad at 5am and reached Bangalore by 8pm. Will try and leave by 4.00 am this time.
Thanks alot!
Old 3rd August 2014, 13:11   #7154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Vazhikadavu-Kottakal:Normal kerala roads with good amount of traffic

Kottakal-Kodungallurarts of nh17 and parts of state roads,but wider than the Vazhikadavu kottakal road

One can take Nilambur - perinthalmanna- pattabi - thrissur also. Travel time will be almost same but with less kilometers. This is my normal route. 3hrs to vazhikadavu from Chalakudy for a 4am start.
As Ranjit suggested rake the Salem route for onward journey and Mysore rt for return.
Old 3rd August 2014, 14:11   #7155
BHPian

Anybody has information on the condition of Bangalore -> HD Kote -> Mananthavadi route? Road conditions were quite bad 3-4 years back and I am uncomfortable trying this again in a car with low ground clearance. The good thing about this route is that it is only 279 kms in Google maps.

The other route I consider is Bangalore -> Gundulpet -> Sulthan Bathery -> Mananthavadi. This road was in good condition an year back. Hopefully now also. It is a roundabout way compared to HD Kote route and involves an additional 60 kms (approx) from Google maps.

Any advice/suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks