Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2014, 11:40   #7201
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
There was another route suggested - but here we take a deviation at Perundurai. Would that be a better approach? I understand that if I go through Perundurai, then I need to pass Kangeyam as well. My idea was to skip the entire stretch of highway where construction is going on. So if I have to take a detour at Avanashi, I would have to go through a stretch of "being built" highway, right?
The stretch between Perundurai bypass and Avinashi is "being built", if you were to go by the book - no lane markings, no standard signage, and above all, no toll. However, the tarmac is excellent. The diversion towards Kangeyam would unnecessarily add distance and time, while the divided highway till Avinashi would allow a much higher average speed, compared to the Kangeyam route.

If you want to explore and lose your way, then you may as well consider Attibele-TVS-Kelamangalam-Rayakottai-Palacode-Dharmapuri-Mettur-Bhavani-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad.

Last edited by silversteed : 11th August 2014 at 11:47.
Old 11th August 2014, 12:10   #7202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From Palakkad I would take the Ottapalam, Shornur route to Thrissur.
If you want to experiment some route, why don't you try some forest routes via Satyamangalam or Nilambur?
Old 11th August 2014, 12:27   #7203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed
However, the tarmac is excellent. The diversion towards Kangeyam would unnecessarily add distance and time, while the divided highway till Avinashi would allow a much higher average speed, compared to the Kangeyam route.
Okay. Then I would try the Avanashi route. Will be reaching this area by day break, so the visibility would be certainly better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds
If you want to experiment some route, why don't you try some forest routes via Satyamangalam or Nilambur?
Have tried the Sathyamangalam route already (through Chamrajanagar, Dimbam etc.). Have gone through Nilambur and Nadukani, Gudallur route as well. But perhaps I will try the Nilambur route on my way back.

And off course, hope the trip goes as per the plan. I have this bit of luck with me, where I do too much planning chances of the trip itself getting cancelled are high. So touchwood!!
Old 11th August 2014, 12:53   #7204
BHPian

Just wanted to bump some queries again from the previous page , as i did not get much luck.

Even if someone can help respond to the query on return route from Kochi>Athirappally to Bangalore and the Munnar/Thekkedy to Varkala route suggestions / conditions, will be a huge help.
Old 11th August 2014, 13:01   #7205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
Just wanted to bump some queries again from the previous page , as i did not get much luck.

Even if someone can help respond to the query on return route from Kochi>Athirappally to Bangalore and the Munnar/Thekkedy to Varkala route suggestions / conditions, will be a huge help.
IMO,

Munnar - 2 nights
Thekkady - 1 night
Varkala - 1 night
Alleppey house boat - 1 night
Kochi - 1 night

I don't think you will require two nights for Alleppey. If you still want to spend some more time, plan for Mararikulam or spend more time at Athirappally and night halt at Valparai.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 13:14   #7206
BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted to bump some queries again from the previous page , as i did not get much luck. Even if someone can help respond to the query on return route from Kochi>Athirappally to Bangalore and the Munnar/Thekkedy to Varkala route suggestions / conditions, will be a huge help.
I think the best scenic route will be Bangalore-Salem-pollachi-valparai-athirappilly-kochi(spend one night) next day you can do vagamon and spend the evening for some shopping or sight seeing in fort kochi again night halt at kochi and go to thekkady next day n stay there. From thekkady u can go to munnar and stay for one night(one night at munnar is enough)next day you can take munnar-udumelpet-Palladam-Salem-Bangalore route.
bhunu AMG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 13:39   #7207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Quote:
Have tried the Sathyamangalam route already (through Chamrajanagar, Dimbam etc.). Have gone through Nilambur and Nadukani, Gudallur route as well. But perhaps I will try the Nilambur route on my way back.
Did the trip via Nilambur - Gudalur yesterday (form Perinthalmanna) and it wasn't too pleasant a drive. The stretch from Perinthalmanna to Gundlupet took me almost 4 hours (142 kms) - the main problem spots being :

1) Narrow roads and heavy traffic all the way upto Vazhikkadavu. You'd be lucky to average more than 40kmph.

2) Nadugani ghats section has potholed sections off and on - especially after you cross over into Tamilnadu. Nothing too bad, but still a pain because you need to be watchful and slow.

3) The roads in Gudalur town as well as the stretch between Gudalur and Theppekkadu are absolutely horrible to drive. A 200 meter stretch in front of the forest quarters (?) buildings in Mudumalai is only potholes and no road. And even though the road is quite wide, portions through which you can drive a sedan without damage is very narrow or even non-existent at places, so you need to stop at every place when a vehicle comes opposite you and is occupying that width.

So overall I don't think it would be worth it to take the Nilambur route just for experimentation. If the purpose is to just explore a new route, why don't you try the one through Silent Valley ? (Mannrkad-Agali-Anaikatti-Karamadai-Bhavanisagar-Bannari-Dimbam-Chamarajnagar) . That's one route I'd like to try out when I have time.
kala is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 14:00   #7208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
2) Nadugani ghats section has potholed sections off and on - especially after you cross over into Tamilnadu. Nothing too bad, but still a pain because you need to be watchful and slow.
Nadugani ghat was relaid and in good condition when I did it some 4 months back. How is the road condition on Kerala side?
Old 11th August 2014, 14:00   #7209
BHPian

Quote:
Munnar - 2 nights
Thekkady - 1 night
Varkala - 1 night
Alleppey house boat - 1 night
Kochi - 1 night

I don't think you will require two nights for Alleppey. If you still want to spend some more time, plan for Mararikulam or spend more time at Athirappally and night halt at Valparai.
Thanks for the suggestion on Mararikulam. Will look it up.

Looking at the schedule, Thekkedy to Varkala seems like a long arduous drive (8am-2pm). Keeping just 1 night in hand, will give me room just about to enjoy a sunset and sunrise by the beach. Is that enough to get from Varkala and then head to Alleppey by 1pm?

And then, park o/n at Alleppey and next day do the boathouse ride for half-day and head to Fort Kochi by 3pm-ish. Is this timing doable and close to what you are suggesting?
Does look like it will save a day or two this way for me. Will surely re-look at it this way as well.

With the night halt at Valparai, any idea how much time it would take to reach out to Pollachi with all the ghat section driving? Just wondering if the scenic drive will turn into a long way back home to Bangalore on the last day.
Old 11th August 2014, 14:18   #7210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nadugani ghat was relaid and in good condition when I did it some 4 months back. How is the road condition on Kerala side?
A lot of the portions have very good road surface, and that makes the occasional pothole that is present really dangerous - because you aren't expecting it. But overall the surface is still pretty good.

By the way I also did the Thamarassery ghats (from Kalpetta to Calicut) on Saturday afternoon. The ghat section is holding up pretty well in spite of the heavy monsoon, but the section between Chundale and Lakkidi (The last 10-12 kms before you start the climb down) has become very patchy now - Lot of potholes that are really deep, so one needs to be very careful negotiating those sections.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 15:18   #7211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

With the night halt at Valparai, any idea how much time it would take to reach out to Pollachi with all the ghat section driving? Just wondering if the scenic drive will turn into a long way back home to Bangalore on the last day.
It is difficult to decide these for you - Based on your preference you can take a call which to include and which to leave out (You can check out the innumerable logs available here and elsewhere)

1. Munnar : Hill station with Tea Plantation. Ideally needs 2 nights.

2. Tekkady : One Boat safari. A night halt, just to shake off the tiredness of the long drives from Munnar and to Varkala

3. Varkala : Beach by the side of cliffs. If you take your trip as a round trip starting from Munnar and ending at Athirappally/Valparai, then Varkala would be falling outside the circle. So it is your call, whether you need to include Varkala in this trip

4. Alleppey / Kumarakom : Backwaters and boat rides. Depending on your interest one or two nights. Mind you, if it is a house boat, there is not much to do and kids may get bored after the initial thrill. Check out Laluks's wonderful log for more details on Kumarakom

5. Kochi : City with a few historical sights. One night max

6. Drive through Athirappally/Vazhachal ending at Valparai : A full day and a night halt at Valparai

From Valparai to Pollachi is an easy drive. Will take one to one and a half hours if you drive non stop. Even if it is a slow drive with many stops you will not take more than three hours to reach Pollachi

If you have specific queries on the above locations - please post here. Will try the best to answer you
mallumowgli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 20:18   #7212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Hey guys,

Planning a trip from Ernakulam to Rameshwaram this Friday (15th). Never travelled to this place before so completely clueless of the route to take.

A quick search on google maps shows Ernakulam - Alapuzha - Changanassery - Punalur - Tenkasi - Thirunelveli - Rameshwaram.
Is this the best route?

The ride would be a Honda City (previous gen) with 4 people on board. So a bit worried about underbelly scraping issues, a route with smooth roads would be nice.

Please advice.
Quoting myself.

An alternative route shown by google maps is Ernakulam - Perumbavoor - Kothamangalam - Neriamangalam - Rajakkad - Pooppara - Bodinayakanur - Theni - Madurai - Rameswaram

Anybody familiar with the current condition of this route?

This route seems more interesting due to the scenic drive, but is it sedan friendly?
Old 11th August 2014, 22:30   #7213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But am also starting to feel it to be rushed. So my queries are -
Here is my take:

- Leave out Athirapally and Valparai. Keep it for another day. You have already done Munnar why do another estate on the same trip?
- From Varkala/Allepey/Kochi, head to Kanyakumari. Spend some time there a drive back via Madurai. Good 4-lane road as well.
- Add some temples as well!

Quote:
Ernakulam - Perumbavoor - Kothamangalam - Neriamangalam - Rajakkad - Pooppara - Bodinayakanur - Theni - Madurai - Rameswaram
Its a known route. Any reasons why you want to take this route? I would still vote for Punalur option to Thenmala. On this route via Theni you also do a big detour via Thirumangalam to get on to the road to Rameshwaram.

Quote:
No specific reason, just curious to know other options. If Punalur route is the best bet, will stick to it.
May be try both of them! One while going the other while coming back. You can visit Madurai too. But wont advice the Rajakkad option at night.

Last edited by ampere : 11th August 2014 at 22:43.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 22:38   #7214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Its a known route. Any reasons why you want to take this route? I would still vote for Punalur option to Thenmala. On this route via Theni you also a big detour via Thirumangalam to get on to the road to Rameshwaram.
No specific reason, just curious to know other options. If Punalur route is the best bet, will stick to it.

Thanks a lot for the prompt replies
Old 12th August 2014, 13:07   #7215
Senior - BHPian

How is the route via Theni-Kumily to Pathanamthitta? I am hearing news about Kumily route shut down due to heavy rain and landslides around Kumily. Please let me know guys!

Most Viewed