Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2014, 11:42   #7231
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Why not the Theni/Dindigul/Trichy option? Should work out much much better in my opinion. The only hitch is the best option to reach Theni.

Either : Ernakulam-MVPA-Kothamangalam-Adimali-Rajakkad-Bodi-Theni (ghats)

or Ernakulam-MVPA-Thodupuzha-Iddukki-Kattapana-Cumbum-Theni. Once past Theni you are on the fast track.
Not sure Idukki route is good now. Anyways, am driving to Idukki tomorrow so can decide whether to take this route or not. How is Bodi - Theni route?
Old 13th August 2014, 11:45   #7232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Not sure Idukki route is good now. Anyways, am driving to Idukki tomorrow so can decide whether to take this route or not. How is Bodi - Theni route?
Bodi-Theni is decent. The problem I thought was Bodi-Munnar (which anyway you wont need). But dont know how is Adimali-Rajakkad-Bodi.
I thought (not sure) Iddukki-Kattapana-Cumbum was good. Some rough edges around Kumily. Would be good to confirm. But on the whole worth a try, given the pathetic state of Trichy-Palakkad-Walayar.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 13:56   #7233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why not the Theni/Dindigul/Trichy option? Should work out much much better in my opinion. The only hitch is the best option to reach Theni.

Either : Ernakulam-MVPA-Kothamangalam-Adimali-Rajakkad-Bodi-Theni (ghats)

or Ernakulam-MVPA-Thodupuzha-Iddukki-Kattapana-Cumbum-Theni. Once past Theni you are on the fast track.
I am driving to Vaikom tomorrow. I have never taken the Cumbum Theni route as it is longer by around 50 - 60 KMs than the regulare Palakkad route. But since the Aluva - Kalamassery section is bad due to Metro work, thinking of taking this.
How is the condition of the road? Where do I exit NH 7 at Dindigul?
Old 13th August 2014, 14:22   #7234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
IWhere do I exit NH 7 at Dindigul?
Thats very easy. You must have noticed when you continued towards TVM on the Dindigul bypass. Its the second exit on the bypass (first is for Palani/Udumalpet). You should easily spot it
Old 13th August 2014, 20:04   #7235
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the current status of the following route?

Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Mannarkkad

Should I be prepared for any bad stretches, delays, etc.? How much driving time (excluding breaks) should I plan for?
Old 13th August 2014, 20:11   #7236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

Should I be prepared for any bad stretches, delays, etc.? How much driving time (excluding breaks) should I plan for?
The whole thread is on that! And the texture changes by the day and by the page!

CBE-Walayar-Palakkad is not that great these days. So you should do :

Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad-Mannarkad. A slight detour, but definitely worth it.

The 4-lane till Avinashi is perfect.
Old 13th August 2014, 20:48   #7237
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad-Mannarkad. A slight detour, but definitely worth it.
OR
Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad-Mannarkad. Enjoy excellent 2 laned roads after 4 laned section upto Perundurai
Old 13th August 2014, 21:48   #7238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
OR
Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad-Mannarkad. Enjoy excellent 2 laned roads after 4 laned section upto Perundurai
I think with the Mangalam work almost done, getting into Perundurai does not make sense any more. Mangalam-Palladam is a straight option. Earlier it was difficult with the railway over bridge. I think its almost done. Would be good to know the latest on that work.
Old 14th August 2014, 07:44   #7239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I am driving to Vaikom tomorrow. I have never taken the Cumbum Theni route as it is longer by around 50 - 60 KMs than the regulare Palakkad route. But since the Aluva - Kalamassery section is bad due to Metro work, thinking of taking this.
How is the condition of the road? Where do I exit NH 7 at Dindigul?
Pramod, Aluva-Kalamassery-Edappally is in bad condition. It took me more than one hour to do the Kalamassery-Edappally stretch yesterday. Even if you are taking NH47, avoid this section. You may try Aluva-Kalamassery-Seaport-Airport road-Tripunithura (or Thiruvamkulam-Puthiyakavu) -Vaikom route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

You can do Bangalore-L&T exit in 5-6 hours. L&T exit till Palakkad may take 1-1.5 hours time and road is not smooth. You may consider Pollachi route for a smooth surface.

Quote:
I think with the Mangalam work almost done, getting into Perundurai does not make sense any more. Mangalam-Palladam is a straight option. Earlier it was difficult with the railway over bridge. I think its almost done. Would be good to know the latest on that work.
Mangalam bridge is completed and road is in good condition.
coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 09:04   #7240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Thats news indeed! Thanks for sharing. That saves the Perundurai-Kangeyam detour. One can be on 4-lane for longer too.
Old 14th August 2014, 09:51   #7241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Did that route in July. The Mangalam overbridge is done now. Saves distance and time, as there are not as many busy towns on this stretch as the Kangeyam route.

Quote:
You can do Bangalore-L&T exit in 5-6 hours. L&T exit till Palakkad may take 1-1.5 hours time and road is not smooth. You may consider Pollachi route for a smooth surface.
Jain, don't you think B'lore to L&T exit in 5 hours is a little optimistic, unless we're travelling at odd hours? The road maintenance going on somewhere near Dharmapuri (IIRC) where the traffic is allowed on only side of the median, Salem town and the truck traffic on L&T bypass road - all slow us down considerably.

Last edited by silversteed : 14th August 2014 at 09:53.
Old 14th August 2014, 10:48   #7242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The whole thread is on that! And the texture changes by the day and by the page!

CBE-Walayar-Palakkad is not that great these days. So you should do :

The 4-lane till Avinashi is perfect.
I have to go to Aluva this weekend. As per Google maps, from Pollachi I can join NH47 at Vadakanchery. Is this the correct route to go to Aluva? Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 10:51   #7243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have to go to Aluva this weekend. As per Google maps, from Pollachi I can join NH47 at Vadakanchery. Is this the correct route to go to Aluva? Thanks
Yes thats is correct.

Pollachi-Meenakshipuram-Kollengode-Vadakkenchery.
Old 14th August 2014, 16:48   #7244
BHPian

Folks, Need advice on road from Bangalore to Kolagappara (Wayanad). I will be visiting Wayanad tomorrow and planning to return on Sunday evening. I would like to explore both Gundulpet ~ Sulthanbathery and Mananthavady ~ Handpost routes. Please help me which one to use during to and fro travel. Appreciate your help in naming few tourist spots as well that can be covered in two days.
Thank you in advance.
Cheers!
Old 14th August 2014, 16:53   #7245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Folks, Need advice on road from Bangalore to Kolagappara (Wayanad). I will be visiting Wayanad tomorrow and planning to return on Sunday evening. I would like to explore both Gundulpet ~ Sulthanbathery and Mananthavady ~ Handpost routes. Please help me which one to use during to and fro travel. Appreciate your help in naming few tourist spots as well that can be covered in two days.
Thank you in advance.
Cheers!
For 2 days stay in Wayanad, you can cover Kuruva dweep, Banasurasagar dam and lakkidi view point on day 1 and for day 2, Edakkal caves and soojippara falls. Will be hectic though.

Most Viewed