Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 10:04   #7321
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I suppose L&T is still collecting Rs 31 as toll fare for that so called NH47
Still collecting and it is still 31- wherever you enter and wherever you exit.
Old 25th August 2014, 10:56   #7322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Are you sure? I thought they charge different amounts based on where you enter/exit. I remember paying Rs.11 for the stretch between Trichy road signal and the subsequent one towards Madukkarai, 2 years ago. The end to end toll amount was Rs.31 then too.

That crappy road is not worth calling a tolled highway - wobbly surface, signals instead of underpass/flyovers, dysfunctional toll-booths, dangerous village-road crossings - everything that a highway with similar/lower toll-per-km does not have.
Old 25th August 2014, 11:21   #7323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Are you sure? I thought they charge different amounts based on where you enter/exit.
It was a WOW road about a decade back when it was opened. Now standards have gone up, but not that of this road.

When i enter at Trichy road and get off at NH209, i am asked to pay 31.
Old 25th August 2014, 16:56   #7324
Senior - BHPian

The stretch of NH47 between Kayamkulam and Kollam is in a bad condition and deteriorating badly given the incessant rains. At some places near Karunagapalli / Chavara, there are really big/deep craters (potholes would be a mild term for them) and if you are biking and fall into one of these, it can be bad. Could even bend/break a car's rim. Just an FYI for anyone going through this route.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 21:41   #7325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys

Rs. 31 is from end to end. There is one more rate (Rs. 11 IIRC) for some exits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
The stretch of NH47 between Kayamkulam and Kollam is in a bad condition and deteriorating badly given the incessant rains. At some places near Karunagapalli / Chavara, there are really big/deep craters (potholes would be a mild term for them) and if you are biking and fall into one of these, it can be bad. Could even bend/break a car's rim. Just an FYI for anyone going through this route.
There are few of them which are small and deep but not anything really big. My assumption may be wrong as I'm used to big ones between Trichur-Walayar
Old 26th August 2014, 04:06   #7326
BHPian

I am planning to drive with my family from Bangalore to Cochin and back around the middle of next month. I am going there to attend a function on Saturday evening. My constraint is that I have only 2 days. So have to start very early on Saturday morning, attend the function late afternoon/evening, stay at Cochin overnight and return to Bangalore on Sunday before nightfall.

Considering the hectic schedule, would like to know which route would be easier to take. There are 3 options as per Google Maps. The priority is safety.
Old 26th August 2014, 08:32   #7327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
I am planning to drive with my family from Bangalore to Cochin and back around the middle of next month... to attend a function on Saturday evening. My constraint is that I have only 2 days. So have to start very early on Saturday morning, attend the function late afternoon/evening, stay at Cochin overnight and return to Bangalore on Sunday before nightfall.
Since you mentioned that you are travelling with family, it's got to be Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakkenchery-Nadathara-Aluva-Kochi

Route link
Trace the same route on your return.

The surface is tricky (read, unexpected potholes) on the highway between Alathur and Mannuthy, is what I heard. Hence suggesting the Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakkanchery route till Thrissur.

Last edited by silversteed : 26th August 2014 at 08:34.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 08:58   #7328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..... So have to start very early on Saturday morning, attend the function late afternoon/evening, stay at Cochin overnight and return to Bangalore on Sunday before nightfall.....
Quote:
Since you mentioned that you are travelling with family, it's got to be Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakkenchery-Nadathara-Aluva-Kochi

Route link
Trace the same route on your return.

The surface is tricky (read, unexpected potholes) on the highway between Alathur and Mannuthy, is what I heard. Hence suggesting the Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakkanchery route till Thrissur.
Since he is traveling during day time, my take would be:
Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-(NH47) Mannuthy-Aluva-Kochi.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 10:46   #7329
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to drive with my family from Bangalore to Cochin and back around the middle of next month. I am going there to attend a function on Saturday evening. My constraint is that I have only 2 days. So have to start very early on Saturday morning, attend the function late afternoon/evening, stay at Cochin overnight and return to Bangalore on Sunday before nightfall.

Considering the hectic schedule, would like to know which route would be easier to take. There are 3 options as per Google Maps. The priority is safety.

I travelled last Friday and followed Bangalore-Selam-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad(halt)-Trissur-Ernakulam. Roads were excellent except Palakkad-Vadakkencherry where there are lot of diversions and potholes. You could take the Alathur route and byepass Palakkad. All were good till Aluva from where the trouble started. Took me 1.5hrs from Aluva till Kadavanthra. Now there were some diversions I knew, but I didn't take them because I thought we were off peak hours, how wrong!. Because of the Metro construction, the bad condition of the roads and heavy rains, there were heavy traffic jams. I was stuck at Palarivattom bye pass junction for 20 mins, and at many junctions preceding it.

Now regardless of the time, you need to take the Container-Terminal Road from Kalamassery, if you need to go towards the city. Even at Desom, Aluva, you can take a right and get on to Container terminal road, bye-passing Aluva. I returned by flight and my cab driver took this road; it is a bit crowded, but surely worth taking. This is the official detour route as I could see the signboards kept by Kochi-Metro in all junctions.

This is the map link:
http://goo.gl/maps/xuXAa

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Since he is traveling during day time, my take would be:
Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Alathur-(NH47) Mannuthy-Aluva-Kochi.
Best route! I reached Avinashi at 7PM and it was my first attempt on this route and it was worth the try. Only wish that it was during the day time, as the road is very scenic. I reached Palakkad at 9PM. It was raining throughout from Palladam. There are a few unexpected pot holes while approaching Pollachi, but there would be no issues during day time.

Also, to save time, better take detour from Aluva.

Quote:
I did not try the Wadakkanchery route because it tends to be slow during day time because of towns. The NH47 is manageable from Alathur.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 11:21   #7330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Now regardless of the time, you need to take the Container-Terminal Road from Kalamassery, if you need to go towards the city. Even at Desom, Aluva, you can take a right and get on to Container terminal road, bye-passing Aluva. I returned by flight and my cab driver took this road; it is a bit crowded, but surely worth taking. This is the official detour route as I could see the signboards kept by Kochi-Metro in all junctions.

This is the map link:
http://goo.gl/maps/xuXAa

This is a good alternative. I sometimes take it to get out of city.

Anybody going beyond Kochi during peak hours may also try Kalamassery-Seaport-Airport road-Irumpanam-SN Junction-Petta-Kundannoor-NH47. It saves major part of metro work and crowd at Lulu mall,Palarivattom-Vyttila signals.

Last edited by coolclouds : 26th August 2014 at 11:23.
coolclouds is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 12:35   #7331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Quote:
I remember paying Rs.11 for the stretch between Trichy road signal and the subsequent one towards Madukkarai, 2 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
There is one more rate (Rs. 11 IIRC) for some exits.
Rs. 11/- still exists. Yesterday, my sister paid Rs. 11/- for Trichy road entry to Avinashi road and the same amount for vice-versa.
Arun.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 18:19   #7332
Senior - BHPian

Any idea on roads between Thenkasi to Ranni. I am planning to do Chennai-Manimala via Madurai
Old 26th August 2014, 19:57   #7333
BHPian

Muvattupuzha-Kottayam MC road is in pathetic condition with huge potholes where even SUVs get scrapped.

Take the Muvattupuzha-Koothattukulam-Uzhavoor-Kidangoor-Manarcad-Kottayam route.Excellent roads throughout except few bad patches near Koothattukulam

Note from Support. Post edited for grammar & spell-check. Please leave a space after every full stop for better readability. Thanks!
Old 26th August 2014, 20:16   #7334
BHPian

I did Kottakal-kozhikode-kannur-kasargod-Mangalore and back twice in past 15 days.

The stretch beyond Thalassery all the way upto Mangalore in bad condition.

Driving through Kannur is total mess. I was stuck in a traffic jam near Caltex junction.

In Kasargod there are few sections where there is no road now, but huge potholes

The minute you cross into Karnataka, the misery only increases.

Beyond Thokote junction, there was terrible jam. The 4 lane work seems to be going on for the past 5years now.

I did the return trip early morning, so fortunately skipped the traffic.
Old 27th August 2014, 10:05   #7335
BHPian

Hi all

Planning to go to Kerala for the long weekend.
On the return trip I am planning to take the Adoor -> Ranni ->Cumbam -> Theni ->Dindigul -> Bangalore route.

I read in a previous post that landslides have blocked this route. Any update on whether this route is cleared?

Most Viewed