Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 10:27   #7351
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Looks like the kuthiran stretch is far better comapred to CBE-Walayar stretch. Of course traffic seems to be on the higher side courtesy the lorries.
Kuthiran stretch is good and survived the rains. It's in the same condition when I drove to bangalore in April. The traffic you see in the video is because of a breakdown (you can see the truck that caused the traffic hold up)
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 10:36   #7352
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this. The route via Athani was the preferred route in my childhood - I think there is another approach from Chamravattam too?
You are welcome.

You're right. But the road from there to CV junction is bad. Poonani road isn't well maintained.

The route I mentioned is the fastest.

Regarding the rabbit, I really didn't know. No wonder I don't see them in the market these days.
Old 28th August 2014, 11:01   #7353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Walayar - Palghat (You can see the cops doing a random check. Luckily I wasnt caught for speeding)
This most probably would be a police party from Palakkad Kasaba PS or Walayar PS. They are out there focusing on document checks and checking if seat belts etc. are worn. They do NOT have speed radars etc. What you need to watch out are for the Interceptor vehicles and a few red & white vehicles (which are the RTO folks). Interceptors focus purely on speed violations. Highway Police teams in Kerala also do NOT have speed radars. They have alco-meters though..
Old 28th August 2014, 11:16   #7354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
This most probably would be a police party from Palakkad Kasaba PS or Walayar PS. They are out there focusing on document checks and checking if seat belts etc. are worn. They do NOT have speed radars etc. What you need to watch out are for the Interceptor vehicles and a few red & white vehicles (which are the RTO folks). Interceptors focus purely on speed violations. Highway Police teams in Kerala also do NOT have speed radars. They have alco-meters though..
Yes, these guys didnt have speed radars. This was a random check and didnt see my wife sleeping. Thought I was alone so they stopped my car. They checked our luggage.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th August 2014 at 09:46. Reason: Removed alcohol related line. Just to avoid reports. :)
Old 28th August 2014, 11:22   #7355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kuthiran stretch is good and survived the rains. It's in the same condition when I drove to bangalore in April. The traffic you see in the video is because of a breakdown (you can see the truck that caused the traffic hold up)
When I drove 2 weeks back, found that Kuthiran has already developed 2 - 3 craters. I also found lot of small potholes in the vadakkencherry Mannuthy stretch. Are they already filled?
Old 28th August 2014, 11:26   #7356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
When I drove 2 weeks back, found that Kuthiran has already developed 2 - 3 craters. I also found lot of small potholes in the vadakkencherry Mannuthy stretch. Are they already filled?
There are few potholes in the Kuthiran stretch (didnt notice it as the traffic movement was slow). They are filling up few sections but all are temporary. Guess they dont want to improve the roads now since it's going to be a 4 lane highway soon. (so corruption in the making - Promise to patch the entire road but will temporarily fill it. That's what I saw in few sections)
Old 28th August 2014, 17:29   #7357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, these guys didnt have speed radars. This was a random check and didnt see my wife sleeping. Thought I was alone so they stopped my car. They checked our luggage.
I find that the Kerala Police squads are generally mild in their manners especially if we have women and children in the cars. In two to three occasions I have seen them first asking me to pull over, and then immediately giving me the green signal . But if the squad is to catch over-speeders they generally do not spare any vehicle - but they continue to be mild mannered.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th August 2014 at 08:06. Reason: Original quote edited. Mention of alcohol part removed.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 19:18   #7358
Senior - BHPian

Did Attibelle-Kelamangalam-Rayakottai-Palacode-Dharmapuri-Salem route today. Road is in good to excellent condition all over once you get into TN. KA side till TVS factory is narrow but not very bad.

Last picture is one of the worst sections and traffic is much lower than Hosur-Rayakottai route. Its a good alternative during peak hours to avoid Attibelle toll mess and Hosur traffic.

Coming this Onam weekend, traffic towards Kerala will be high and it may take more time to cross toll booths. IMO, its better to take Bangalore-Attibelle-Kelamangalam-Rayakottai-Palacode-Dharmapuri-Salem/Omallur route during peak hours.

Also, at BETL, look for Phase 2 exit and rejoin NH, if traffic at main toll is high.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-1.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-2.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-3.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-4.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-5.jpg  

coolclouds is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 07:49   #7359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Did Attibelle-Kelamangalam-Rayakottai-Palacode-Dharmapuri-Salem route today. Road is in good to excellent condition all over once you get into TN. KA side till TVS factory is narrow but not very bad.

Last picture is one of the worst sections and traffic is much lower than Hosur-Rayakottai route. Its a good alternative during peak hours to avoid Attibelle toll mess and Hosur traffic.

Coming this Onam weekend, traffic towards Kerala will be high and it may take more time to cross toll booths. IMO, its better to take Bangalore-Attibelle-Kelamangalam-Rayakottai-Palacode-Dharmapuri-Salem/Omallur route during peak hours.

Also, at BETL, look for Phase 2 exit and rejoin NH, if traffic at main toll is high.
I suppose the last snap show the road leading to TVS factory. This has never been good. Instead of taking atiibele-kelamangalam route, i would endorse taking hosur-rayakottai route. This is much better compared to the former.

After crossing TVS factory, proceed further till you reach the check post. From here again proceed straight till you reach a 4 junction road. From this junction, the left takes you to hosur railway station, right takes you to denkanikottai, straight takes you to kelamangalam.
Take the left road till you see the railway station on your right. From here take the right road till you cross the level crossing and proceed further till you see a Murugan temple. From here take a right turn till you intersect the rayakottai road.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 08:25   #7360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This most probably would be a police party from Palakkad Kasaba PS or Walayar PS. They are out there focusing on document checks and checking if seat belts etc. are worn.
It is not specific to NH 47 - I have been stopped after other ingress checkposts to Kerala too (Muthanga, Vazhikkadavu...). There are document checkers, DUI checkers, and then there are the ones with the toughest job of them all - spirit smuggling checkers. This last lot will check your vehicle thoroughly and also question you looking for inconsistencies in your story. It has been reported in Kerala several times that spirit smuggling operations nowadays use private vehicles.

Quote:
Quote:
Instead of taking atiibele-kelamangalam route, i would endorse taking hosur-rayakottai route. This is much better compared to the former.
I am on the road to Ernakulam for Puja holidays this year; thanks for this update. Taking this route from Hosur beats half its purpose, that of skipping the toll mess at Attibele. :-)
Old 30th August 2014, 08:53   #7361
BHPian

Quote:
How is the Mettur route nowadays? Used to take this route long back and used to be excellent. Bhavani town can slow down a bit though.

EDIT: BTW, any toll booths which are unavoidable?

Last edited by bejoy : 30th August 2014 at 08:57.
Old 30th August 2014, 09:30   #7362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
EDIT: BTW, any toll booths which are unavoidable?
Completely toll free route towards kerala is present but road conditions will be a hit or miss and it will take longer.
Bangalore->attibele->rayakottai->palacode->pennagaram->mecheri->mettur->ammapettai->anthiyur->athani->sathy->annur

I have done this many times couple of years ago. Roads then were pretty decent but narrow at points. 2 lane road all the way. Traffic sparse between pennagaram and mecheri. Right now it takes me around 5:30 to get to CBE from bangalore if I take the regular route. This route will take you 6 to 6:30 hours.

https://goo.gl/maps/5NVEP

You can take the route towards avinashi at annur and go towards pollachi.
etrast75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 14:08   #7363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds
Dear sir.. if it is not a major hassle, can you give me the GPS coordinates for this route? I can then set it in MapMyIndia and give it a try. Travelling with family so really cannot affort to lose my way. Plan is to drive down to Kerala this Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
It is not specific to NH 47 - I have been stopped after other ingress checkposts to Kerala too (Muthanga, Vazhikkadavu...).
To be quite honest, I have not seen such aggressive vehicle checking in any other South Indian state. Karnataka does not have a highway police itself. Very rarely you find police vehicles focusing on MV Act violations. Tamil Nadu have good police presence in the highways. But they too seem to be generally parked on the sides, with the driver dozing off and the navigator reading a news paper (and listening to the wireless). But in Kerala we can see various police squads all across the roads. Highway Police vehicles and the various police station "mobiles" are there pretty much on the roads at all times.
Old 30th August 2014, 16:30   #7364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suppose the last snap show the road leading to TVS factory. This has never been good. Instead of taking atiibele-kelamangalam route, i would endorse taking hosur-rayakottai route. This is much better compared to the former.
Traffic will be more around Hosur. If you are ok with Attibelle toll, following route will avoid Hosur town:

While coming from Rayakottai, take left immediately after Arunachala lorry service parking (Hosur inner ring road) and continue straight. It will end at NH 7 near TN RTO check post. Traffic on inner ring road is sparse and its a straight road. As on last week, some 50 meters tarring is to be completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I am on the road to Ernakulam for Puja holidays this year; thanks for this update. Taking this route from Hosur beats half its purpose, that of skipping the toll mess at Attibele. :-)
During long weekend, Attibelle toll queue goes till flyover. Kelamangalam route is good then even though its longer by some 3 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
How is the Mettur route nowadays? Used to take this route long back and used to be excellent. Bhavani town can slow down a bit though.
When I did Mettur route last year, road surface was good. Local traffic during evening hours is high and there are some unexpected humps. I may take it again during night time.

Quote:
...can you give me the GPS coordinates for this route? I can then set it in MapMyIndia and give it a try. Travelling with family so really cannot affort to lose my way. Plan is to drive down to Kerala this Friday.
Its pretty easy. You take the main right below Attibelle flyover and after one km, take left (Y fork, Right goes to Anekkal and left to TVS factory-Rayakottai). Follow only straight roads from here and at the end you will reach Hosur-Rayakottai road near Rayakottai vegetable market. Its well marked to Salem from there.

Its not advised for those who are looking for butter smooth roads/120kmph speeds. Its scenic and give it a try when you are bored with 4 lane highways.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/12...e50c9a!1m0!3e0
coolclouds is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 21:36   #7365
Senior - BHPian

Guys I have a few queries with an impending Kerala trip nearing

1. Chennai - Palakkad
Presume its prudent to take the Perundurai-Kangayam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad route ?

2. Palakkad - Vagamon - Pls advise a suitable route. Will start by morning and plan to reach by noon at Vagamon. Pls advise a few b'fast ( veg ) options en route

Thanks !

Most Viewed