Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2014, 12:01   #7501
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Bangalore > Athibele > Hosur IR road > Rayakottai > Palakode > Dharmapuri > Thoppur > Mettur > Bhavani > Avanashi > Palladam > Pollachi > Vadakkencherry > Thrissur...
You plan on an end to end 2-lane? (well almost!)

For breakfast I can only of road side places. For lunch you have Annalakshmi at Perundurai bypass.
Old 16th September 2014, 12:15   #7502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to drive to Kerala (Thrissur and Pala) on 27th Sept, early morning at about 5AM. I am looking to do the following route.

http://goo.gl/maps/wKfX3

The route is made up by putting together many suggestions in this thread. Would like to know your suggestions or any concerns. The idea is to avoid tolls and crowded/boring 4 lane roads. I have already tried NH209 route through Sathy and not planning to do it this time. Btw, both routes indicate almost similar distance of 419 kms until Vadakkencherry. I have also given below a textual version below.

Bangalore > Athibele > Hosur IR road > Rayakottai > Palakode > Dharmapuri > Thoppur > Mettur > Bhavani > Avanashi > Palladam > Pollachi > Vadakkencherry > Thrissur...

For a 5AM start, what would be the good options for breakfast and lunch in this route?
I would suggest one more alternative instead of mettur-bhavanai road as this has more lorry traffic

Via Hosur-Rayakottai-Palacode by pass-Thoppur-Omalur-Sankagiri-Erode-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencherry-Thrissur. You will find good options to break for food at Sankagiri /Erode and Pollachi.
Old 16th September 2014, 16:49   #7503
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to drive to Kerala (Thrissur and Pala) on 27th Sept, early morning at about 5AM. I am looking to do the following route.
I'm also planning to do Bangalore Thrissur on the same day but then at 3 ~ 3:30 AM. Also I haven't decided on the route yet, most of the time I stick to NH 209 through Sathiyamangalam but this time around thought of using Nilambur since it is more than a year I did through Nilambur. Looking at your option I would like to explore this since I haven't been on this part of SH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You plan on an end to end 2-lane? (well almost!)

For breakfast I can only of road side places. For lunch you have Annalakshmi at Perundurai bypass.
For a 5AM start won't Perundurai be too early for lunch?
Appreciate if you can share the road condition between Athibele and Perundurai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I would suggest one more alternative instead of mettur-bhavanai road as this has more lorry traffic

Via Hosur-Rayakottai-Palacode by pass-Thoppur-Omalur-Sankagiri-Erode-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencherry-Thrissur. You will find good options to break for food at Sankagiri /Erode and Pollachi.
Is this alternate good in road conditions all along?

Thank you in advance.
Cheers!
Old 16th September 2014, 16:53   #7504
Senior - BHPian

My entry point into Kerala will be Punalur. I need to go towards Manimala which is close to Ranny. Which is the best route to take, considering road conditions? Few additional kms is ok.
Old 16th September 2014, 17:20   #7505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
My entry point into Kerala will be Punalur. I need to go towards Manimala which is close to Ranny. Which is the best route to take, considering road conditions? Few additional kms is ok.
Punalur-Kottarakkara is decent, and MC road from Kottarakkara to Adoor and the route from Adoor to Pathanamthitta is in excellent condition. Pathanamthitta - Ranni - Manimala is in tatters. I traveled this route a week back saw a JCB filling potholes, so you can imagine how bad it is. I'm not sure about the condition of Punalur-Pathanapuram-Pathanamthitta road though.
Horizon81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 17:41   #7506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
I'm also planning to do Bangalore Thrissur on the same day but then at 3 ~ 3:30 AM.
May have to drive down to Thrissur itself during the upcoming Pooja long week end. Yet to finalise on the trip start time and the route. I am expecting major road blocks at Attibele and Krishnagiri. So now actively checking this thread to decide on a possible route.

Perhaps I may try the Rayacottai, Palakkode route. Earlier plan was to travel via Chamarajanagar & Sathyamangalam, but I feel it may take much more time. Plan is to have a "run through" with minimum halts only for food and bio-breaks.
Old 16th September 2014, 21:09   #7507
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove from Kochi to Goa on 11 Sep 14.
State of road as follows:

1) Kochi to Kannur- Smooth surface. but as expected, traffic will slow you down.
2) Kannur- Kasaragod- The tarmac is broken in between. However can be negotiated with a little bit of meandering through the width of highway.
3) Kasargod- Mangalore- Not good. I could hack it with a high GC vehicle. A sedan or a hatch back would find it difficult.
4) Mangalore- Kundapura- Broken stretches in between. But mostly navigable. Not much of problem.
5) Kundapura- Bhatkal (for around 40 Kms)- I cursed my decision to drive. Even with a high GC vehicle. Complete Offroad territory.
That 40 Kms have shaped my decision to return to Kochi via Bangalore, even at the cost of 300 extra kms!!!
6) Bhatkal - Goa- The last stretch is a breeze. Wonderful tarmac and not much traffic too.

The roads in the state of Goa are particularly good.
I have travelled the length and breadth of the state and am yet to see broken stretches in the state. (On after thought, one 50 m stretch is there near Cortalim bridge)
I wish the PWD engineers in Kerala took a glance to this state.
dhanushmenon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 22:39   #7508
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I wish the PWD engineers in Kerala took a glance to this state.
Thanks for the detailed update on the road conditions.
We need to extend that wish to the "powers that be" in Karnataka as well, hope they're reading this.

During my trip in 2011 the Mangalore-Udupi stretch had work in progress is that complete now ?
Also, remembered a drive between Kumta-Goa-Kumta-Mangalore on the NH17 way back in 2000 and the same road was in excellent condition, we're going into the future with worse roads
Old 17th September 2014, 09:09   #7509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Is this alternate good in road conditions all along?

Thank you in advance.
Cheers!
From Hosur till Palacode by pass, very good 2 lane roads. Then you rejoin the NH7 and proceed towards the thoppur toll plaza.
Then while proceeding on NH7 you will see a landmark saying SALEM AIRPORT on the left side. At this stage stick to the right most lane till you see a divertion towards Omalur town. You can expect traffic in Omalur and Tharamangalam. Proceed on this this route till you reach Sankagiri below the NH47 flyover.
From here if you turn right, you will proceed towards Avinashi and beyond on NH47. Instead proceed straight from Sankagiri via Pallipalayam till you reach Erode.
Again you can expect some traffic in Erode city. From here ask directions for Kangeyam. The Kangeyam-Palladam stretch is a bliss to drive. Very good broad 2 lane roads.
Palladam-Pollachi stretch is full of wind mills making it a scenic route. You can take a break in Pollachi at Sakthi Hotels. This is a famous landmark in Pollachi.
Post Pollachi as you enter Kerala, roads will be narrow but good. From Vadakkencherry onwards it is NH47 all the way.
Hope this helps.
Old 17th September 2014, 09:57   #7510
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Kochi to Bangalore via Palakkad-Coimbatore-Ooty-Mysore. Vadakkancherry to Kuzhalmandam is manageable, Kuzhalmandam to Walayar is really bad.

Return via Kanakpura -Satyamangalam-Chamarajnagar-Annur-L&T-NH47-Kochi.
Fine roads throughout, Chamarajnagar to Satyamangalam is excellent and real fun.

Had food at "Amigo", just before Kuthiran while coming from Palakkad. Good food and clean place. Recommended.

I couldn't take Pollachi route due to some reasons. Anybody, please take Pollachi-Avniashi road, its much much better.

Last edited by coolclouds : 17th September 2014 at 09:59.
coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 12:02   #7511
BHPian

Quote:
Drove from Kochi to Goa on 11 Sep 14.
State of road as follows:

1) Kochi to Kannur- Smooth surface. but as expected, traffic will slow you down.
2) Kannur- Kasaragod- The tarmac is broken in between. However can be negotiated with a little bit of meandering through the width of highway.
Thanks for the update. I hope it was NH17 from Edappally. What were the timings when you covered this section and how long it took?

I am planning a Bangalore-Madikeri-Sullia-Bekal-Kannur-Kochi trip next weekend, so would be taking this route.
Old 17th September 2014, 13:02   #7512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

http://goo.gl/maps/wKfX3

The route is made up by putting together many suggestions in this thread. Would like to know your suggestions or any concerns. The idea is to avoid tolls and crowded/boring 4 lane roads. I have already tried NH209 route through Sathy and not planning to do it this time. Btw, both routes indicate almost similar distance of 419 kms until Vadakkencherry. I have also given below a textual version below.

For a 5AM start, what would be the good options for breakfast and lunch in this route?
I too will be taking the same route on same day around same time. I plan to start @ 3 am. Planning via toll road till Omallur, then turn right to Sankari.
Destination - Chalakudy.
Old 17th September 2014, 14:29   #7513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Thanks for the update. I hope it was NH17 from Edappally. What were the timings when you covered this section and how long it took?.

No. It was NH 47 after Edappally.
I went through Thrissur- Calicut- Kannur.
It's always better to take NH 47 and route via Thrissur rather than the two lane roads of NH 17.
And, it's recommended to take the ICT than the metro work ridden highway till Kalamassery

I started at 0600 from kochi.
After Kannur, the pace came down drastically.

More so after Mangalore.

It took me 18 hours of driving including food and tea breaks to reach Goa.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 20:05   #7514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Drove from Kochi to Bangalore via Palakkad-Coimbatore-Ooty-Mysore. Vadakkancherry to Kuzhalmandam is manageable, Kuzhalmandam to Walayar is really bad.
Hey Jain,
How is Mysore to Coimbatore?
How much time would it take if I start at around 0700 hrs?

Would you suggest
1) Mysore- Gundlupet- Ooty- Coimbatore- Kochi;
2) Mysore- Gundlupet- Nilambur- Kochi; OR
3) Mysore- Gundlupet- Sulthan Bathery- Calicut- Kochi?

Travelling with wife and kids.
Vehicle is XUV.
Starting before 0700 not feasible.
Old 17th September 2014, 21:49   #7515
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would you suggest
1) Mysore- Gundlupet- Ooty- Coimbatore- Kochi;
2) Mysore- Gundlupet- Nilambur- Kochi; OR
3) Mysore- Gundlupet- Sulthan Bathery- Calicut- Kochi?
Have you considered Mysore-Chamrajanagar-Sathyamangalam-Coimbatore-Kochi ? That may be a better option I think.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks