Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2014, 23:08   #7741
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post

I will be driving back to Bangalore from Vaikom on October 26th, Sunday. Since it is the end of long weekend, does it make sense to take the Bhavani - Mettur - Mecheri - Pennagaram - Palacode - Attibele route? I would be reaching Salem by 12:00 noon. I want to avoid the Thoppur - Krishnagiri and Attibele toll booths. I have taken the Mettur route to Join Thoppur and the Palacode route to Join Hosur long back but haven't taken the above route.
Is it easy to find directions? I do not have a GPS device.
Try Karumathampatti - Sathi - Kollegal - Bangalore. Road conditions are good and no tolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post

Edit: Can anybody let me know the best route from Kochi to Mananthavady? I'm starting tomorrow at 11 am.
Whatever route you choose, you are going to have fun

An 11 AM start from Kochi means 3 PM @ CLT and ~5.15 PM @ Mananthavadi. I suggest sticking to the regular route - COK - TCR - Kunnamkulam bypass (if traffic is heavy) - Kuttippuram - CLT - Kalpetta - Manathavadi.

I did Chalakudy - Kalpetta 3 weeks back in this route and roads are good (except for the last 3 km on top of churam)

Last edited by arjithin : 23rd October 2014 at 23:17.
arjithin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 02:17   #7742
Senior - BHPian

Finally, the Kerala govt seems to have made up its mind on the NH development in Kerala. The govt seems to have realised that it will miss the bus on NH development if it drags its feet any longer. The govt has decided to immediately start land acquisition for NH development. The NH will be 45m in width. Manorama report here.
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 08:59   #7743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Did Bangalore-Kochi yesterday.

Attibelle-Kelamangalam-Rayakottai-Palacode is mostly good, no issues.

I will be driving back to Bangalore from Vaikom on October 26th, Sunday. Since it is the end of long weekend, does it make sense to take the Bhavani - Mettur - Mecheri - Pennagaram - Palacode - Attibele route? I would be reaching Salem by 12:00 noon. I want to avoid the Thoppur - Krishnagiri and Attibele toll booths. I have taken the Mettur route to Join Thoppur and the Palacode route to Join Hosur long back but haven't taken the above route.
Is it easy to find directions? I do not have a GPS device.
No need for GPS. If you reach salem by 12 PM, i dont think you need to go via Mecheri-Pennagaram. You can stick to Thoppur, Palacode by pass and Rayakottai route.

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th October 2014 at 02:08. Reason: fixed quotes, thanks
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 09:46   #7744
BHPian

Would suggest everyone to stay away from NH 209 between Chamarajnagar and Sathyamangalam.
Road blockades were reported yesterday by Tamil Nadu people in lieu of an encounter of a poacher from Salem by Karnataka Forrest officials. Villagers had also ransacked the forest office at Chamarajnagar.
Given the fact that there are no alternate options once you are held at Dhimbam it is wise to stay away form this stretch for a while.
Cheers!
treadmark is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 09:50   #7745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Traffic will be more around Hosur. If you are ok with Attibelle toll, following route will avoid Hosur town:

While coming from Rayakottai, take left immediately after Arunachala lorry service parking (Hosur inner ring road) and continue straight. It will end at NH 7 near TN RTO check post. Traffic on inner ring road is sparse and its a straight road. As on last week, some 50 meters tarring is to be completed.

During long weekend, Attibelle toll queue goes till flyover. Kelamangalam route is good then even though its longer by some 3 kms.

Its pretty easy. You take the main right below Attibelle flyover and after one km, take left (Y fork, Right goes to Anekkal and left to TVS factory-Rayakottai). Follow only straight roads from here and at the end you will reach Hosur-Rayakottai road near Rayakottai vegetable market. Its well marked to Salem from there.

Its not advised for those who are looking for butter smooth roads/120kmph speeds. Its scenic and give it a try when you are bored with 4 lane highways.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/12...e50c9a!1m0!3e0
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Try Karumathampatti - Sathi - Kollegal - Bangalore. Road conditions are good and no tolls.
Don't want to try this route this time because of rains and Deepawali rush. Also, it is a pain to drive from Kanakpura to Whitefield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
No need for GPS. If you reach salem by 12 PM, i dont think you need to go via Mecheri-Pennagaram. You can stick to Thoppur, Palacode by pass and Rayakottai route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Why not take the Dharmapuri bypass and on to Palacode. Thats the standard route.
Ok. I will take the Rayakotta - Palacode route.
Could you please let me know how to avoid the Attibele toll booth. Also, I want to take the Attibele - Sarjapur - Varthur route.

My usual route these days is via Hosur - Bagalur - Sarjapur but since the Sarjapur bypass is closed for road work, this route cannot be taken during the return journey. Want to avoid Krishnagiri toll booth and the traffic near Hosur.

Also, is the Rayakottah diversion after the A2B Thoppur? Is it the road that goes straight when the NH 7 curves to the right?

Last edited by pramodpk : 25th October 2014 at 09:52.
Old 25th October 2014, 10:29   #7746
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok. I will take the Rayakotta - Palacode route.
Could you please let me know how to avoid the Attibele toll booth. Also, I want to take the Attibele - Sarjapur - Varthur route.
Go below the Attibele fly over and keep on that road. That would take you straight to Sarjapur. It would take you to the front part of the town.

Quote:
Also, is the Rayakottah diversion after the A2B Thoppur? Is it the road that goes straight when the NH 7 curves to the right?
Yes. After A2B and Raja Bhojanam, you hit Dharmapuri bypass. One the left you should see road to Palacode. I think the board is mentioned for Palacode.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 12:31   #7747

Dear members,

There are reports in certain regional dailies that to fecilitate the construction of new ROB at Aryankavu, the NH 208 section will remain closed for a period of 2 weeks from October 29.

Hopefully they complete the works before the start of Sabarimala season. This bridge has been a bottleneck for long.
wanderlust09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 13:53   #7748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Would suggest everyone to stay away from NH 209 between Chamarajnagar and Sathyamangalam.............................. it is wise to stay away form this stretch for a while.
Cheers!
Dinamalar(tamil) newspaper says that forest dwellers rioted at the KA checkpost; don't know at which section of the border problem exists. If anyone has more info, kindly update.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 14:05   #7749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't want to try this route this time because of rains and Deepawali rush. Also, it is a pain to drive from Kanakpura to Whitefield.
Agree about Kanakpura whitefield part. Everytime I come from CLT, I see this pain; I too live in Whitefield. I take NICE road to Ecity then depending on the time and traffic decide a route to reach Whitefield.

This section alone makes me plan either to start too early from CLT or very late (around 4PM).

Until the Peripheral ring road becomes a reality, we will have fun reaching Whitefield from Kanakpura
arjithin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 14:52   #7750
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Dinamalar(tamil) newspaper says that forest dwellers rioted at the KA checkpost; don't know at which section of the border problem exists. If anyone has more info, kindly update.
The report in Indian Express Bangalore, today's edition says near Palar, Karnataka - don't know where exactly this place is. From the report, I think it is somewhere near the Karnataka-Tamil Nadu border close to Mysore.
Link

Last edited by NPV : 25th October 2014 at 14:59.
Old 25th October 2014, 14:58   #7751
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The report in Indian Express Bangalore, today's edition says near Palar, Karnataka - don't know where exactly this place. From the report, I think it is somewhere near the Karnataka-Tamil Nadu border close to Mysore.
Link
This Palar is close to MM hills down the road to Mettur. This is the place where you turn to Gopinattam. (Home town of the famous Sandalwood Man).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 21:27   #7752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Govindapadi, near Mettur on the way to MM Hills. One person was shoot dead mistaking him to be a poacher! Better to avoid any route in and around Mettur for next two to three days!
Old 26th October 2014, 19:58   #7753
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Which of these would these be good routes to take for Bangalore-Thrissur ? (Want to avoid Coimbatore bypass-Walayar-Palakkad-Alathur)
Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkencherry-Thrissur

OR
Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakara-Wadakancheri-Thrissur
Old 26th October 2014, 21:31   #7754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Which of these would these be good routes to take for Bangalore-Thrissur ? (Want to avoid Coimbatore bypass-Walayar-Palakkad-Alathur)
Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkencherry-Thrissur

OR
Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakara-Wadakancheri-Thrissur
Both are fine. Depending on what time you reach Pollachi and your destination @TCR, you can choose the route.

Vadakkencherry- Pattikad - Mannuthi is in good shape. If you are reaching there around noon, its fine to take that route; not worth of the additional 18km (35 mts) drive.

By the way, you can take Avinashi - Mangalam - Palladam too. Road is good and you can drive in 4 lane till Avinashi
arjithin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2014, 21:38   #7755
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
By the way, you can take Avinashi - Mangalam - Palladam too. Road is good and you can drive in 4 lane till Avinashi
Haven't tried this. Any landmarks to spot this turn off ?

Planning 4am start so should be in Pollachi around noon or bit earlier.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks