Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 12:23   #7771
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Can any one share the exact GPS coordinates of the Vijayamangalam toll->Perundurai->Kangeyam->Palladam route? The unfinished highway between Vijayamangalam and Avanasahi (random speed humps, uneven surfaces etc.) thought of trying out the Perundurai route.
Don't have the GPS coordinates but if you take the turn off near the toll, it would take you via Uthukuli to Kangeyan. Then on to Palladam, Pollachi and Kollengode/Palakkad depending on where in Kerala you want to reach.

When going from Bangalore, at Perundurai itself there is a turn off towards Kangeyam before Annalakshmi hotel. If you go further about 10Km or so you get the vijayamangalam toll and the turn off there would take you to Kangeyam via Uthukuli.
Old 27th October 2014, 12:28   #7772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Don't have the GPS coordinates but if you take the turn off near the toll, it would take you via Uthukuli to Kangeyan.
Ayyo!!! I am scared of Uthukuli and Tiruppur towns after my first botched trip via this route. Will take the land marks you have given, and try getting the GPS coordinates. If there are routes which byepasses Uthukuli town etc., that I feel would be much better.
Old 27th October 2014, 12:34   #7773
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Ayyo!!! I am scared of Uthukuli and Tiruppur towns after my first botched trip via this route. Will take the land marks you have given, and try getting the GPS coordinates. If there are routes which byepasses Uthukuli town etc., that I feel would be much better.
Just take the turn off to Kangeyam at Perundurai itself, no need to touch Uthukuli on this route! The roads from Perundurai and Uthukuli go on either side of the Kangeyam bus stand and merge at the signal there.
Old 27th October 2014, 12:39   #7774
BHPian

Hi!
Am thinking of doing Kanakapura - Chamarajnagar - Gundlupet - Nilambur - Guruvayur route in a couple of days. Latest update on the road conditions of following stretches will be appreciated.
  1. Chamarajnagar - Gundlupet
  2. Gudalur - Nilambur
Old 27th October 2014, 13:00   #7775
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariwar View Post
Hi!
Am thinking of doing Kanakapura - Chamarajnagar - Gundlupet - Nilambur - Guruvayur route in a couple of days. Latest update on the road conditions of following stretches will be appreciated.
  2. Gudalur - Nilambur
From the latest posts here, Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet is little rough in some places like Terakanambi and near the place it joins back the road from Nanjangud but this should still be manageable if you start early from Bangalore.
From Gundlupet, road is good till Mudumalai and after Theppakadu there are some bad sections till Gudalur, in fact lots of rough road with potholes splattered generously
Nilambur stretch - not sure about current conditions. I don't expect it to be great given the rains.

You can also consider
Pollachi-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shornur-Guruvayoor
Or
Pollachi-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-Guruvayoor
Or
Pollachi-Vadakkencherry-Mannuthy-Thrissur-Guruvayoor ?

Should be a much better drive overall albeit more distance wise.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 13:17   #7776
BHPian

Quote:

You can also consider
Pollachi-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shornur-Guruvayoor
Or
Pollachi-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur-Guruvayoor
Or
Pollachi-Vadakkencherry-Mannuthy-Thrissur-Guruvayoor ?

Should be a much better drive overall albeit more distance wise.
Thanks. Usually do NH209 - Annur -Coimbatore Bye-pass - Palakkad - Ottapalam - Guruvayur, but thought of going on the shorter route if the sections are not too bad. Will wait for really adverse comments if any and if so, choose Pollachi - Alathur - Wadakkanchery - Guruvayur routing.
Old 28th October 2014, 10:21   #7777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi!
  2. Gudalur - Nilambur
Considering the forest route and the narrow roads in kerala, I would suggest you a relatively faster route to Guruvayur
Via Hosur,Krishnagiri,Salem,Perundurai,Kangeyam,Pallad am,Pollachi,Kollengode,Alathur,Kecheri.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 17:00   #7778
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Usually do NH209 - Annur -Coimbatore Bye-pass - Palakkad - Ottapalam - Guruvayur, but thought of going on the shorter route if the sections are not too bad. Will wait for really adverse comments if any and if so, choose Pollachi - Alathur - Wadakkanchery - Guruvayur routing.
If you are not opting for Gudalur ~ Nilambur route, I would suggest to skip your usual Palakkad ~ Ottapalam ~ Guruvayur stretch.
Pollachi ~ Alathur ~ Pazhayanur ~ Chelakara ~ Wadakkanchery ~ Parlikad ~ Kechery ~ Guruvayur will be the best alternate. NH 209 combination with the above will ensure a scenic and sedate drive all along. Else if you wont get bored with the 4 lane straight lines you can stick to NH 47 anywhere between Perundurai and Karumathampatti.
Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 12:07   #7779
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I would say stick to Wadakancheri route still.Less traffic and less truck traffic to negotiate.
Can you please give me landmarks/guidance for this route ? Places where there can be potential confusion on which fork to take, etc ?
Route:
Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakara-Wadakancheri-Thrissur

*From Pollachi, I will take the Alathur exit to NH 47 and then turn towards Kavasseri. Till the Parakkat Bhagavathi temple in Kavasseri I'm familiar with the route, not beyond.
Old 30th October 2014, 12:16   #7780
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
*From Pollachi, I will take the Alathur exit to NH 47 and then turn towards Kavasseri. Till the Parakkat Bhagavathi temple in Kavasseri I'm familiar with the route, not beyond.
- At Kollengode, ensure you turn to Alathur and not to Vadakkencherry
- Then road till Wadakancherry is good (Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakancherry)
- And then your choice: Kecheri or Kunnamkulam
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 12:29   #7781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please give me landmarks/guidance for this route ? Places where there can be potential confusion on which fork to take, etc ?
Route:
Alathur-Pazhayannur-Chelakara-Wadakancheri-Thrissur

No confusion,from Alathur its one straight road all the way to Thrissur,you cant go wrong anywhere because there are hardly any turns anywhere

You can buy up banana chips from SNR at Alathur bus stand.park the car a little away and walk back as parking in front of the shop is chaotic and the cops might spot fine you.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 13:28   #7782
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No confusion,from Alathur its one straight road all the way to Thrissur,you cant go wrong anywhere because there are hardly any turns anywhere

You can buy up banana chips from SNR at Alathur bus stand.park the car a little away and walk back as parking in front of the shop is chaotic and the cops might spot fine you.
Will I reach the Kecheri road directly from Wadakkanchery - based on your guidance for an earlier trip I'd taken this road when going from Calicut to Mannuthy enroute Valparai and this helped me avoid Kunnamkulam town.

So if I understood correctly, now I will join the same road at the other end when going from Wadakkancheri and then I will merge onto NH47 and turn left towards Amala Hospital/Sobha City - correct ?

My favourite parking spot for SNR is on the cross road near the shop - there is a big tree and shops around it and usually you can find a parking spot there

Last edited by NPV : 30th October 2014 at 13:30.
Old 30th October 2014, 18:49   #7783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will I reach the Kecheri road directly from Wadakkanchery - based on your guidance for an earlier trip I'd taken this road when going from Calicut to Mannuthy enroute Valparai and this helped me avoid Kunnamkulam town.

So if I understood correctly, now I will join the same road at the other end when going from Wadakkancheri and then I will merge onto NH47 and turn left towards Amala Hospital/Sobha City - correct ?

My favourite parking spot for SNR is on the cross road near the shop - there is a big tree and shops around it and usually you can find a parking spot there
Coming from Wadakancheri-take the railway overbridge at WKI,cross the wki railway station on your right,the road climbs and heads straight towards thrissur.After that you hit a patch of open paddy fields on both side for approx 500-600mts followed by a blind curve .Where the curve ends,it is a bus stop and you would see a well laid out road going to the right from the bus stop.Take the road and the road crosses the railway track via an overbridge.Keep on the road and the road takes you all the way to Kecheri.

Yes you are correct,at Kecheri you would join the road coming from Amala.Left would take you to thrissur (amala,sobha city etc) and right at the junction would take you to guruvayur via choondal.Take left at Choondal(well marked).

Map fyr

https://goo.gl/maps/JE0t8
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 20:58   #7784
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes you are correct,at Kecheri you would join the road coming from Amala.Left would take you to thrissur (amala,sobha city etc) and right at the junction would take you to guruvayur via choondal.Take left at Choondal(well marked).
Thanks Ranjit. I need to go towards Amala/Sobha city as my destination is Thrissur not Guruvayoor

How do I reach the Swaraj Round / M G Road from Aaryaas/Sobha city ?

Also, just in case I take the Vadakkencherry - Mannuthy route, how I get to the same place in Thrissur ? Want to be sure I know both routes so that I don't end up getting lost/asking around!

Last edited by NPV : 30th October 2014 at 21:01.
Old 30th October 2014, 21:03   #7785
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ranjit. I need to go towards Amala/Sobha city as my destination is Thrissur not Guruvayoor

How do I reach the Swaraj Round / M G Road from Aaryaas/Sobha city ?

Also, just in case I take the Vadakkencherry - Mannuthy route, how I get to the same place in Thrissur ? Want to be sure I know both routes so that I don't end up getting lost/asking around!
Thats why I had said Kollengode-Vadakkacherry and not Alathur. No need for Alathur.

Most Viewed