Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2014, 21:25   #7786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Thanks Ranjit. I need to go towards Amala/Sobha city as my destination is Thrissur not Guruvayoor

How do I reach the Swaraj Round / M G Road from Aaryaas/Sobha city ?

Also, just in case I take the Vadakkencherry - Mannuthy route, how I get to the same place in Thrissur ? Want to be sure I know both routes so that I don't end up getting lost/asking around!

Why are you going tokecheri to reach thrissur?Keep straight on the thrissur road from Wadakancheri.

From kecheri after sobha,take a right after aryas towards Lulu convention centre and keep on the road and the road ends up on mg road

From Nh47,come straight into thrissur from mannuthy get onto the round and take the left onto mg road after navaratna restaurant
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 15:22   #7787
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats why I had said Kollengode-Vadakkacherry and not Alathur. No need for Alathur.
Yes sir - Now that I know both routes, I will not be a nervous first timer on that last mile when driving

I will mostly take Vadakkencherry-Mannuthy-Thrissur this time and probably try Alathur-Kecheri-Choondal for a Guruvayoor trip sometime later.

Just the fact that I have 2 options gives a more comfortable feeling, like a Plan B just in case I need to use it.
Old 31st October 2014, 16:17   #7788
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just the fact that I have 2 options gives a more comfortable feeling, like a Plan B just in case I need to use it.
The exit at Kollengode at Vadakkencherry is quite narrow. Many miss it. Another way to confirm the same, is ask for Nemmara.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 18:52   #7789
BHPian

Quote:
Yes sir - Now that I know both routes, I will not be a nervous first timer on that last mile when driving

I will mostly take Vadakkencherry-Mannuthy-Thrissur this time and probably try Alathur-Kecheri-Choondal for a Guruvayoor trip sometime later.

Just back from kerala and I came in through the Walayar check post. probably 10kms after this you come to a McDonalds on the left and immediately after that a flyover is being built as part of the 4 lane highway. if you go left you bypass palakkad town and if you take the right under the flyover you go through palakkad and then straight to Shornur and Thrissur via kolazhy.. This route I think is better and faster.
shashi63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 20:02   #7790
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
Just back from kerala and I came in through the Walayar check post. probably 10kms after this you come to a McDonalds on the left and immediately after that a flyover is being built as part of the 4 lane highway. if you go left you bypass palakkad town and if you take the right under the flyover you go through palakkad and then straight to Shornur and Thrissur via kolazhy.. This route I think is better and faster.
Thanks! The flyover construction and McDonalds you are referring to seems to be the one at Chandranagar, right ?

This time I plan to avoid Chengapalli-Coimbatore bypass-Walayar and take the 4 lane roads only upto Avinashi, then Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkencherry-Mannuthy-Trichur. Am quite familar with this route upto Pollachi and roads are good too. Planning an early start so should be in Pollachi before noon and at Thrissur in the afternoon.

Last edited by NPV : 31st October 2014 at 20:03.
Old 6th November 2014, 09:40   #7791

Dear members,

The ROB and the approach road works at Aryankavu on the NH 208 have been completed. This section will be re-opened to traffic from today evening onwards.
wanderlust09 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 11:33   #7792
BHPian

Expert opinion needed. I will be driving from Bangalore to Payyanur today. Will be taking the route Bangalore- Mandya-Srirangapattana- Hunsur-Gonikoppal- Vallithode- Payyavoor-Thaliparamba-Payyanur.

Between Gonikoppal and Vallithode, Heggala stretch forest area, I heard it is a restricted route and is time bound.
Between what time is this stretch restricted? We are starting from Bangalore at 14:00h.

-UB
Old 7th November 2014, 13:39   #7793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Expert opinion needed. I will be driving from Bangalore to Payyanur today. Will be taking the route Bangalore- Mandya-Srirangapattana- Hunsur-Gonikoppal- Vallithode- Payyavoor-Thaliparamba-Payyanur.

Between Gonikoppal and Vallithode, Heggala stretch forest area, I heard it is a restricted route and is time bound.
Between what time is this stretch restricted? We are starting from Bangalore at 14:00h.

-UB
There are no night time restrictions on the route if the route you are referring is Hunsur-gonikoppal-Virajpet(bypass) makkutta ghat- kuttupuzha- Vallithode
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 14:38   #7794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post

-UB

Don't take via Payyavoor, instead go straight and take Irikkur - Sreekantapuram route. Road is in excellent condition.
Old 7th November 2014, 16:16   #7795
BHPian

Anyone travelled from Bangalore to Kottayam via Theni-Cumbum-Kumily-Ettumaoor route recently, say in last 3-4 months. How is the general road condition from Theni to Etumanoor.

7-8 months back, while driving from Changnachery to Bangalore, I had taken the Kanjirapally - vandiperiyar-Kumily-Theni route. And if I remember correctly, the stretch between Kumily to Theni was not smooth and had a lot of pothole stretches. Hence always preferred the Thenkasi-Thenmala route.

However, this time I need to travel to Etumanoor and considering the pathetic condition of MC road from chengannur to Kottayam, thought I will take Theni-Etumanoor route. Also it would save me around 100kms. And if I start at around 3am from bangalore, will it be possible to make it to etumanoor by say 11-12pm, considering the following
- normal driving speeds that is neither too fast nor too slow
- saturday morning traffic conditions from Kumily to Etumanoor
- ghat roads
- anything else, I missed out

FundaG
Old 7th November 2014, 16:58   #7796
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quoting an old post of Ranjit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Drove Hyd-Blr-Thrissur-Blr-Hyd over the Onam weekend.
-Alathur-Wadakancheri excellent drive,but plenty of Highway Patrol interceptors.I dont know the logic behind having innova cars are patrol vehicles!
-Overall Bangalore-Thrissur took us 8.5hrs
Any idea what's the speed limit on the Alathur-Wadakancheri route ? Are there any posted speed limit signages ?

Onward Planning to take Pollachi-Alathur-Wadakkancheri-Thrissur with customary stop at SNR Chips
Return is planned via Thrissur-Mannuthy-Vadakkencherry-Nemmara-Kollengode-Pollachi

Questions:
1. Kollengode-Alathur-NH47 -> Is there any bridge(s) construction here as part of road widening work ?
I need to go over to the other side to Alathur town and then towards Pazhayannur so wondering if my landmarks from 2 years ago will still be valid.
2. Mannuthy-Vadkkencherry - how to spot this turn off ? Any landmark/signage ?

Last edited by NPV : 7th November 2014 at 17:05.
Old 7th November 2014, 17:34   #7797
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Look for the Veterinary college on to your left. That should be th turn off point.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 10:20   #7798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Return is planned via Thrissur-Mannuthy-Vadakkencherry-Nemmara-Kollengode-Pollachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Look for the Veterinary college on to your left. That should be th turn off point.
Not sure what turn-off point NPV is asking about. There is no left turn from the Vet college towards Nemmara. The turn off is at Vadakkenchery. From Thrissur, it is an almost straight road to Vadakkenchery. You will join NH just before Mannuthy, (Y junction, you will be coming from the lower arm of the Y . At this junction the left goes to Vadakkanchery and the right to Ernakulam)
Old 8th November 2014, 18:12   #7799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
. How is the general road condition from Theni to Etumanoor.

FundaG
Theni-Kumily route was quite good a few months back. However the few towns in between have no bypasses and are overcrowded. Same goes for the Kumily Kottayam stretch.

It will take you 13-14hrs to reach Kottayam from Bangalore.

If you want to save time do the entire Cumbum-Ettumanoor route at night so that you reach Mundakayam at around 5-6AM.
tomraven99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 18:20   #7800
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Not sure what turn-off point NPV is asking about. There is no left turn from the Vet college towards Nemmara. The turn off is at Vadakkenchery. From Thrissur, it is an almost straight road to Vadakkenchery. You will join NH just before Mannuthy, (Y junction, you will be coming from the lower arm of the Y . At this junction the left goes to Vadakkanchery and the right to Ernakulam)
I thought he was referring to a point to exit 47 for Trichur town. Hence my comment about the vet college.

Most Viewed