Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2014, 20:38   #7861
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Just read in another forum where someone reported that the Cauvery bridge between Malavalli and Kollegala on NH 209, near Shivanasamudra is closed. Is this true? anyone travelled recently could please confirm?
Old 27th November 2014, 22:16   #7862
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to drive down from Chennai to Perumbavoor for Xmas. Would like to know about road conditions between Ulundurpet and Salem (status of 4 laning). Also do we have to pay the full 75 bucks at the Ulundurpet toll or is there some other slab for those taking the Salem route? I believe the turn off to the Salem route is around 1-1.5 kms after this toll. The last time I did this drive was through the Krishnagiri route back in Dec 2010.
Old 27th November 2014, 22:18   #7863
BHPian

Guys,
I am planning a Kochi to Hyderabad drive during Christmas week. The plan is to start on Dec 23rd morning from Kochi and return by 28th evening. Can someone help on the following queries.
1. Fastest route and approx. travel time. Will be travelling with wife and a 4yr old kid.

2. Where to break the journey? Considering the distance, I think the drive will take 2 days and I don't want to drive at night.

3. Planning to stay at Hyderabad for 3 nights - 24th, 25th and 26th and return on 27th morning taking the same route back. Any suggestions on which part of the city/hotel to stay and some good places which can be covered on 25th and 26th. I would mostly park the car in Hotel and hire a cab for all local commute.
4. How would be the climate during December. I have never been to Hyderabad before and have absolutely no idea about the city/climate.
Old 27th November 2014, 22:30   #7864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Just read in another forum where someone reported that the Cauvery bridge between Malavalli and Kollegala on NH 209, near Shivanasamudra is closed. Is this true? anyone travelled recently could please confirm?
I haven't that way for about 3-4 weeks now - but the bridge was open for LMVs when I went that way last - around the 1st/ 2nd of this month.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 00:51   #7865
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
3. Planning to stay at Hyderabad for 3 nights - 24th, 25th and 26th and return on 27th morning taking the same route back.
You plan cover Kochi to Hyd in one go? That would be difficult. Though possible, but its extremely tiring drive. Its about 7-8 hours from Bangalore Hyd. And another 7-8 hours from Kochi to Bangalore.
Old 28th November 2014, 07:18   #7866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You plan cover Kochi to Hyd in one go? That would be difficult. Though possible, but its extremely tiring drive. Its about 7-8 hours from Bangalore Hyd. And another 7-8 hours from Kochi to Bangalore.
Not at all. Planning to start on 23rd morning from Kochi and stay near Bangalore on day one. Wanted to know the best route/where to stay etc.
Old 28th November 2014, 08:22   #7867
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Not at all. Planning to start on 23rd morning from Kochi and stay near Bangalore on day one. Wanted to know the best route/where to stay etc.
Sorry my bad! Some how did not register. There is nothing to say about the route. Day 1: Kochi-Angamaly-Vadekkenchery-Kollengode-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinasi-Salem-Bangalore.

Day2 : Bangalore-HYD.

Day 2 is sheer bliss of an empty 4-lane.

Kochi-Bangalore has its share of rough patches, but nothing to worry about. Beyond Avinashi its 4-lane all the way to Bangalore. The detour mentioned is to overcome Walayar-Palakkad-CBE.
Old 28th November 2014, 13:23   #7868
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry my bad! Some how did not register. There is nothing to say about the route. Day 1: Kochi-Angamaly-Vadekkenchery-Kollengode-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinasi-Salem-Bangalore.

Day2 : Bangalore-HYD.

Day 2 is sheer bliss of an empty 4-lane.

Kochi-Bangalore has its share of rough patches, but nothing to worry about. Beyond Avinashi its 4-lane all the way to Bangalore. The detour mentioned is to overcome Walayar-Palakkad-CBE.
Sir, if DieselLover can reach Bangalore by 1.00 p.m, I don't think it is difficult for him to reach Hyderabad on the same day. Since the stretch is empty most of the times, I think he can reach the destination without any issues. BHPian josepeter did this stretch in one day. The following is the link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ta-safari.html.

Of course, the car DieselLover uses for this trip also matters.
Old 28th November 2014, 13:34   #7869
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Since the stretch is empty most of the times, I think he can reach the destination without any issues. BHPian josepeter did this stretch in one day.
Thats why I mentioned its possible, but tiring. Taking a break in between works much better.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 13:41   #7870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I'm planning to drive down from Chennai to Perumbavoor for Xmas. Would like to know about road conditions between Ulundurpet and Salem (status of 4 laning). Also do we have to pay the full 75 bucks at the Ulundurpet toll or is there some other slab for those taking the Salem route? I believe the turn off to the Salem route is around 1-1.5 kms after this toll. The last time I did this drive was through the Krishnagiri route back in Dec 2010.
There are still few sections where it's 2 lane road but roads are good. Also, they have revised the toll rates from Sept 1st. I did cochin - chennai in august and the details can be seen here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3515988
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 13:53   #7871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Uh oh... I hope this is not true. I am planning my Christmas trip to Perumbavur via Chamarajanagar-Satyamangalam-Pollachi-Angamali. Please try to verify. Which forum is this, can you please share the link?
Old 28th November 2014, 22:00   #7872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Sir, if DieselLover can reach Bangalore by 1.00 p.m, I don't think it is difficult for him to reach Hyderabad on the same day. Since the stretch is empty most of the times, I think he can reach the destination without any issues. BHPian josepeter did this stretch in one day. The following is the link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ta-safari.html.

Of course, the car DieselLover uses for this trip also matters.
I am driving a Duster 85. I don't want to push it all the way on same day as I am travelling with a kid. It's going to be a 18-20hr journey which will be very tiring.
Old 29th November 2014, 11:22   #7873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Uh oh... I hope this is not true. I am planning my Christmas trip to Perumbavur via Chamarajanagar-Satyamangalam-Pollachi-Angamali. Please try to verify. Which forum is this, can you please share the link?
I saw the same update in the HVK Forum in FB. What's funny is, somebody posted NPV's pic from a few months ago and claimed that the bridge is open - only to be proved wrong by another gentleman who passed the route a few days ago.

There's an alternate route via T.Narsipur, from Malavalli to Chamarajnagar, along a SH. This route appears shorter by 7-8km, but no idea about the road conditions. Might give it a shot on the coming weekend.

Last edited by silversteed : 29th November 2014 at 11:26.
Old 29th November 2014, 11:50   #7874
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
There's an alternate route via T.Narsipur, from Malavalli to Chamarajnagar, along a SH. This route appears shorter by 7-8km, but no idea about the road conditions. Might give it a shot on the coming weekend.
Thats the Bannur road which you take form Malavalli. Midway you take left and head to T-Narasipura where you cross the bridge. There on to the road via Muguru to the Yelandur turn off is decent. Once while coming back from Chamarajanagar I started driving onto this assuming it was 209. Checked in time and returned. But the road seemed quite good. It may be worth an option.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 12:45   #7875
Senior - BHPian

Need suggestions on the alternate route options from Hyderabad to Calicut. The route that I've driven in the past is the default route: Hyderabad-Bangalore-Mysore-Gundelpet-Wayanad-Calicut, which works well for the Calicut-Hyderabad trip but is a little complicated when going to Calicut.

The problem I faced with this route last time was that it was difficult reach the forest check-post before they closed if there are any additional time lost en route or in crossing Bangalore. This forced me to take a break in journey at Mysore last time, though I might not have the same luxury this time.

In case it is unlikely that I'll reach the forest check-post in time, is there any other alternate routes available where I can reach Calicut on same day by 10-11pm or so?

Most Viewed