Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2014, 09:40   #7891
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
The issue is the Calicut - Ekm stretch. The regular one via Kuttypuram -Edappal-Kunnamkulam-Tricjur is good, but the Trichur town crossing is a pain .
The other route via Ponnani (NH 17) is not very good upto Ponnani.
As for your second route, the best practice is to leave NH 17 at Edappal and re-join it at Chavakkad. So the route would be the same as your first one till Kunnamkulam, from where you take the Guruvayur road, skip the temple town but proceed towards Chavakkad.

On the other hand, if you follow ranjitp1's excellent directions to pass through Thrissur, you wouldn't face much pain. I have linked that post from this one of mine (and have even plotted it on Google Maps) for you here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3401928

I have followed this route multiple times, and have never been overly inconvenienced. Coming from Kunnamkulam, you might have to detour a bit as I now see that there is a one-way in between.

Last edited by binand : 1st December 2014 at 09:42.
Old 1st December 2014, 10:41   #7892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The issue is the Calicut - Ekm stretch. The regular one via Kuttypuram -Edappal-Kunnamkulam-Tricjur is good, but the Trichur town crossing is a pain .
The other route via Ponnani (NH 17) is not very good upto Ponnani.
Actually the road from Calicut to Ponnani via Tirur-Tanur-Chamravattom bridge is very good, it's just that you would face traffic congestion at Tirur and Tanur + couple of other smaller towns like B.P.Angadi if you're travelling during the daytime. The alternate (the regular NH17) Edappal-Ponnani-Chavakkad is fine too, but traffic from Calicut to Edappal on NH17 is always on the higher side, much more than that on the Chamravattom alternate.

NH17 is actually quite good from Ponnani to Chavakkad as well, then broken for a few kms till Chettuva and then again good till Kodungallur. After you exit the Kodungallur bye-pass, the passage can be quite slow from thereon because the road is quite narrow - especially around Paravoor town.

As for crossing Trichur (the NH47 option), yes it can be a pain because traffic can be quite heavy from Kunnamkulam onwards. Taking the deviation from Akkikkavu to Kecheri can help a bit by avoiding Kunnamkulam, but there isn't much you can do to avoid touching Trichur town.
Old 1st December 2014, 11:02   #7893
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
As for crossing Trichur (the NH47 option), yes it can be a pain because traffic can be quite heavy from Kunnamkulam onwards. Taking the deviation from Akkikkavu to Kecheri can help a bit by avoiding Kunnamkulam, but there isn't much you can do to avoid touching Trichur town.
+1. Earlier I remember Ajitbr mention about SH69 exit from NH17 (at Edappal) towards Kunnamkulam being a much better option than NH17. Does this equation still hold good (from a traffic point of view)? Have there been anychanges on NH17?

Yes Kunnamkulam bypass via Akkikkavu helps a lot. I think its time they build a good all round Trichur bypass. (I know I am asking for a near impossible!)

Is this the best possible option:

Trichur Bypass from GVR Road to NH47

Or the regular road is better?

Last edited by ampere : 1st December 2014 at 11:06.
Old 1st December 2014, 12:09   #7894
BHPian

Folks, Need your suggestions for my travel to Kottayam from Thrissur on 29 December. I was told by my colleague to stay with NH47 untill Kalamaserry (Apollo Tyres) ~ Kakkanad (through Seaport / Airport road) ~ then onto NH45 until Thiruvankulam ~ Mulanthuruthy ~ Kanjiramattom Tahalayolaparambu road ~ Ettumanoor ~ Kottayam.

I've done Thrissur ~ Erenakulam many times but then that is a straigt one without much deviations. I'm doing this route for first time and this looks like I've to watch out for deviation at junctions quite often.
Is this the better option than Erenakulam ~ Cherthala ~ Kumarakom and Perumbavoor ~ Muvattupuzha ~ Koothatukulam?

Also appreciate if some one can point me to any other better alternates. My only priorities is good roads and I know I have to live with traffic on any part of Kerala so there isn't much option on that front I guess.

The trip is planned for a morning start and should be at the destination before 11:30 AM.

Suggested route link HERE
Cheers!
Old 1st December 2014, 22:03   #7895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Actually the road from Calicut to Ponnani via Tirur-Tanur-Chamravattom bridge is very good, it's just that you would face traffic congestion at Tirur and Tanur + couple of other smaller towns like B.P.Angadi if you're travelling during the daytime. The alternate (the regular NH17) Edappal-Ponnani-Chavakkad is fine too, but traffic from Calicut to Edappal on NH17 is always on the higher side, much more than that on the Chamravattom alternate.

NH17 is actually quite good from Ponnani to Chavakkad as well, then broken for a few kms till Chettuva and then again good till Kodungallur. After you exit the Kodungallur bye-pass, the passage can be quite slow from thereon because the road is quite narrow - especially around Paravoor town.

Thanks Binand and Kala !

A plan is now slowly emerging, to make the best of both the routes. How
about me bypassing Kunnamkulam (Akkikkavu-Eranelur) and then take a
right deviation at Puzhakkal , thro Ayyanthole, and take the SH75, to rejoin NH17 at Vadanappally ?? This way I avoid the broken bits at Chettuva etc.
Does this make sense ??
Old 1st December 2014, 22:53   #7896
BHPian

Not technically a route question - what's the latest around the Bird Flu situation around Kuttanad/Kumarakom ( sorry looked around didn't find the latest on this ) - does the official advisory state anything against traveling to these aprts ?

I'm heavily booked in this area (family + kids ) a week from now and at the moment am planning to stick to my original plan and not cancel. Does that sound prudent ?
Old 1st December 2014, 23:35   #7897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Folks, Need your suggestions for my travel to Kottayam from Thrissur on 29 December. I was told by my colleague to stay with NH47 untill Kalamaserry (Apollo Tyres) ~ Kakkanad (through Seaport / Airport road) ~ then onto NH45 until Thiruvankulam ~ Mulanthuruthy ~ Kanjiramattom Tahalayolaparambu road ~ Ettumanoor ~ Kottayam.

I've done Thrissur ~ Erenakulam many times but then that is a straigt one without much deviations. I'm doing this route for first time and this looks like I've to watch out for deviation at junctions quite often.
Is this the better option than Erenakulam ~ Cherthala ~ Kumarakom and Perumbavoor ~ Muvattupuzha ~ Koothatukulam?

Also appreciate if some one can point me to any other better alternates. My only priorities is good roads and I know I have to live with traffic on any part of Kerala so there isn't much option on that front I guess.

The trip is planned for a morning start and should be at the destination before 11:30 AM.

Suggested route link HERE
Cheers!
Yes, This route is now slowly becoming the standard option to reach Kottayam from northern side. Take SA road and reach Karingachira, turn left and reach Chottanikkara-Kanjiramattom to Kottayam. This is better than going through narrow road through Kumarakom to reach Kottayam.

MC road works are going on between Muvattupuzha and Ettumanur. Curves are being straightened. It's better to avoid MC road. Even Sabarimala pilgrims started Muvattupuzha-Thodupuzha-Erattupetta route now.
The alternate route through Koothattukulam-Uzhavur-Kidangur is a good option also.
See:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3520983
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3548515
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:40   #7898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Not technically a route question - what's the latest around the Bird Flu situation around Kuttanad/Kumarakom ( sorry looked around didn't find the latest on this ) - does the official advisory state anything against traveling to these aprts ?
I don't think there was any advice against travelling. But folks working close with these birds have been asked to take adequate protection (body suits etc.). And transport of poultry and meat has been banned in many parts of the state.
Old 2nd December 2014, 12:09   #7899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
MC road works are going on between Muvattupuzha and Ettumanur. Curves are being straightened. It's better to avoid MC road.
That's a bit of a bummer. I'm visiting Perumbavur in December around Christmas time and the wife has planned a day trip to Sreedhareeyam for a consultation. It the Muvattupuzha-Koothattukulam stretch unmotorable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
what's the latest around the Bird Flu situation around Kuttanad/Kumarakom - does the official advisory state anything against traveling to these aprts ?
It is H5N1. Just lay off chicken (and duck, and quail, and turkey, and emu...) and other poultry products; you should be fine. Kerala has a lot to offer to the true epicurean even if you exclude the birds. Start your research here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H5N1
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:21   #7900
BHPian

Quote:
take a
right deviation at Puzhakkal , thro Ayyanthole, and take the SH75, to rejoin NH17 at Vadanappally ?? This way I avoid the broken bits at Chettuva etc.
Does this make sense ??
Right turn at puzhakkal is fine, but i think rather than connecting back to Vadanappally, it's best to take ayyanthole-aranattukara-koorkkanchery -nedupuzha to connect to Kodungallur road.
From there, you can either go via kodungallur (this road is good can go smooth) and continue NH17-> This can be faster than the drive to vadanappally and further.

Or

connect to NH47 (4 lane) before or after the toll plaza.-> This will be the faster option to reach Cochin.
murajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 20:10   #7901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Folks, Need your suggestions for my travel to Kottayam from Thrissur on 29 December.
IMO, if the MC road is not very bad by end of December, take it. Please don't enter Kochi during evening hours. It takes a lot of time to cross SN Junction/Thiruvamkulam junctions these days during evenings.

Alwaye-Kalamassery: Slow traffic due to metro construction
Kalamassery-Kakkanad-Karingachira: Two lane, good surface, high traffic Karingachira Jn to Thiruvamkulam Jn: It may take 30 mins to cover this stretch during evening hours (Sabarimala/Chottanikkara traffic).
Thiruvamkulam-Mulanthuruthy-Kanjiramattom-Thalayolaparambu-Kaduthuruthy-Kottayam: Good

Btw, I went to Puthuppally two days back from Kochi. Vyttila-Nadakkavu-Arakkunnam-Velloor (New bridge)-Peruva-Kaduthuruthy-Ettumanoor-Kottayam-Puthuppally. Mostly good surface

The road to Manarcad from Ettumanoor via Thiruvanchoor is closed from Ettumanoor side and its very bad at several places due to widening work.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:56   #7902
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
IMO, if the MC road is not very bad by end of December, take it. Please don't enter Kochi during evening hours. It takes a lot of time to cross SN Junction/Thiruvamkulam junctions these days during evenings.
That tells a lot.

Quote:
The road to Manarcad from Ettumanoor via Thiruvanchoor is closed from Ettumanoor side and its very bad at several places due to widening work.
How does one then bypass Kottayam? Any other option esp, if one is driving from TVM to Trichur? I was assuming one uses: TVM-Kottakara-Adoor-Pathanamthitta-(Kottayam bypass) - Ettumanoor and on to MC road.
Old 3rd December 2014, 12:33   #7903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murajith View Post
Right turn at puzhakkal is fine, but i think rather than connecting back to Vadanappally, it's best to take ayyanthole-aranattukara-koorkkanchery -nedupuzha to connect to Kodungallur road.
From there, you can either go via kodungallur (this road is good can go smooth) and continue NH17-> This can be faster than the drive to vadanappally and further.

Or

connect to NH47 (4 lane) before or after the toll plaza.-> This will be the faster option to reach Cochin.
Once you're on the Trichur-Kodungallur road, the best way to connect to NH47 is to go till Irinjalakkuda and take a left there and join NH47 at Potta (SH61). The Trichur-Irinjalakkuda as well as Irinjalakkuda Potta roads are generally in good shape all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How does one then bypass Kottayam? Any other option esp, if one is driving from TVM to Trichur? I was assuming one uses: TVM-Kottakara-Adoor-Pathanamthitta-(Kottayam bypass) - Ettumanoor and on to MC road.
You don't need to touch Pathanamthitta. If you want to avoid the NH and prefer to take MC road, the best would be Tvm-Kottarakkara-Adoor-Chengannur-Thiruvalla-(Get off MC road a little while after this : before Changanacherry)-Thengana-Puthuppally-Manarcaud-Kidangoor-Marangattupally-Uzhavoor-Koothattukulam and from thereon MC road again to Muvattupuzha-Perumbavoor-Angamali-Trichur

I assume the roadwork that @coolclouds was referring to would probably be around the Thiruvanchoor-Eroor-Ettumanoor area, so shouldn't affect the Manarcaud-Ayarkkunnam-Kidangoor road. I'll be travelling that way in another 10 days or so, will update the conditions after that.
kala is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 00:02   #7904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That's a bit of a bummer. I'm visiting Perumbavur in December around Christmas time and the wife has planned a day trip to Sreedhareeyam for a consultation. It the Muvattupuzha-Koothattukulam stretch unmotorable?
Muvattupuzha-Kuthattukulam MC road has some bad sectors. But it is perfectly achievable. The works are between Vembilli(after Kuravilangad) till Pattithanam(Ettumanur). There are really bad ditches in these areas.

But, it is good news that KSTP is actually straightening hairpin bends and the work has finally showing some momentum.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 07:37   #7905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala
I assume the roadwork that @coolclouds was referring to would probably be around the Thiruvanchoor-Eroor-Ettumanoor area, so shouldn't affect the Manarcaud-Ayarkkunnam-Kidangoor road. I'll be travelling that way in another 10 days or so, will update the conditions after that.
Ettumanoor-Kidangoor-Ayarkunnam-Manarcad is perfectly fine. The route I mentioned is a short cut to Manarcad via Peroor.

Last edited by coolclouds : 4th December 2014 at 07:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks