Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2015, 21:29   #8176
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Thanks Rajeev. Staying at Kollur on second day makes sense. I would probably get time to visit Kudajadri too. Any idea on accommodation options at Kollur?
There are a couple of hotels. Mookambika Palace and Adigas are the prominent ones. There are some others too. But not many.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 22:11   #8177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There are a couple of hotels. Mookambika Palace and Adigas are the prominent ones. There are some others too. But not many.
Don't recall seeing an Adiga's hotel in Kollur. Mookambika Palace has a "Vasudeva Adigas" restaurant attached to it though.

The other hotel you're referring to must be Abimon Residency - it has the best reviews on TripAdvisor even though it isn't as close to the temple as Mookambika Palace is. I have stayed in the latter about a year or so back and the rooms were decent, but parking was in an open ground about 50 meters away in those days. Abimon has better parking facilities from what I've heard.

There's also another one named Beena Residency close to the temple. It used to be the best in Kollur till these two came up - but wasn't too well maintained in those days. Not sure if they have improved now since there's more competitiion - Tripadvisor has good ratings for it even now.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 22:15   #8178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Don't recall seeing an Adiga's hotel in Kollur. Mookambika Palace has a "Vasudeva Adigas" restaurant attached to it though.

Sorry my mistake. Yes Mookambika has Adigas as hotel. And other one I did refer to was Abhimon. Thanks for correcting.
Old 12th January 2015, 23:02   #8179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Thanks Rajeev. Staying at Kollur on second day makes sense. I would probably get time to visit Kudajadri too. Any idea on accommodation options at Kollur?
Usually pilgrims from Kerala stay at Hotel Devaprabha, but I prefer Hotel Beena Residency, though rooms are a bit smaller than those in Hotel Swadeshi Heritage of Udipi. The former doesn't have a Restaurant while the latter has a small limited food sort of Restaurant.
Recent new addition to the Hotels is the Mookambika Palace , which had a good restaurant.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 05:17   #8180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Hotel Mookambika Palace is owned by an Adiga. The Adigas are connected to the Temple.
Old 13th January 2015, 07:04   #8181
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Hotel Mookambika Palace is owned by an Adiga. The Adigas are connected to the Temple.
Mookambika Palace is owned by the Vasudev Adiga's group. They have a restaurant on the ground floor in their new branding style much like the ones in Bangalore.
Old 13th January 2015, 07:44   #8182
Team-BHP Support

Thats what was my original thought regarding Mookambika. But since I have not stayed, I was not sure about this fact.
Old 15th January 2015, 15:53   #8183
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, driving to Kovalam from Cochin next weekend. Which route should i take?

1) NH-47 all the way
2) Reach Alleppey, take AC road - Changanassery - Thiruvalla - Adoor - Kottarakara and join after Kollam

I had taken the normal NH-47 route couple of months back and the traffic was horrible. Being Saturday and long weekend, I feel the traffic will be high.

Looking for smooth roads with less traffic. Suggestions please.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 15th January 2015 at 15:55.
Old 15th January 2015, 17:17   #8184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

1) NH-47 all the way
2) Reach Alleppey, take AC road - Changanassery - Thiruvalla - Adoor - Kottarakara and join after Kollam

I had taken the normal NH-47 route couple of months back and the traffic was horrible. Being Saturday and long weekend, I feel the traffic will be high.

Looking for smooth roads with less traffic. Suggestions please.
IMO, NH47 is good except for Kollam where there was a diversion when I did last time. Also, take the bypass after Technopark.

Traffic on MC road also will be high. Plan an early morning start irrespective of route, if possible.

I'm not regular on this route. Wait for others opinion.

Last edited by coolclouds : 15th January 2015 at 17:22.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 17:33   #8185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it is evening or day time driving the MC Road would also be congested.
In NM 47, Kollam town can be bypassed for which turn left towards KSRTC Bus station and traverse the same road, which after a couple of KMs will cut across the Punalur/Kottarakkara road, joining NH 47 avoiding heart of Kollam. Instead of cutting across if you proceed towards Kottarakkara a couple of more KMs you can get to the Kollam bypass part and join NH near to Kottiyam. For an early morning drive NH is preferable.

Last edited by rajeev k : 15th January 2015 at 17:36.
Old 16th January 2015, 22:19   #8186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I traveled to Trivandrum in a Force Traveller today. Started at 0630 Hrs from Vazhakkala and reached Kazhakkoottam by 1100 Hrs, with a 30 minutes break for breakfast. Beyond Kayamkulam Traffic started building up very fast.
Old 17th January 2015, 02:08   #8187
Senior - BHPian

Muvattupuzha-Ernakulam travellers can use Kuzhikkad-Varikoli road again as it is now re-tarred and usable. This road helps in bypassing Thiruvankulam-Thrippunithura. There is constant traffic blocks between Thiruvankulam and Karingachira after the SA road traffic entering NH49.

Google Maps also suggest Kuzhikkad-Varikoli route as the default choice.
http://goo.gl/nGL6hs
deepclutch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 17:08   #8188
BHPian

Quote:
Take NH 47 completely, it is in good condition now except a few patches near Chavara. Avoid taking shortcuts. Remember there is NO bye-pass road in Alleppey or Kollam. Taking shortcuts will save a maximum of 2-3 minutes but on the other hand it may lead you to wrong routes or loops.

Need to take a small diversion at Chinnakada roundabout, Kollam due to the construction of a road underpass but proper signboards are there all the way.

Start early (around 4-4.30 AM) you could reach Kazhakuttom in 4 hours max.
noblecr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 21:51   #8189
Senior - BHPian

Ernakulam-Piravom-Thirumaradi-Palakkuzha-Thodupuzha is in good condition. The bad stretch between Palakkuzha and Thodupuzha is relaid. Thodupuzha bypass from Nediyasala is dug up as on yesterday.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:48   #8190
BHPian

Hi all, need to do a Rameswaram temple visit tomorrow that is planned just today. Planning to include Madurai as well in the trip. I am travelling from Alappuzha (Cherthala) and the Google maps shows the below route. Cherthala - Kottayam - Kanjirappally - Vandiperiyar - Kumali - Cumbam - Theni - Madurai - Rameswaram.
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ch...2d9.288114!3e0

How is this route - traffic / road conditions? Is there any better route than this one? My plan is -

1) Start 5 am on day 1. Drive straight to Rameswaram. Halt there at night.
2) Visit Rameswaram temple on Day 2. Drive to Madurai in the evening. Stay at Madurai on day 2 night.
3) Visit Madurai temple on day 3 and drive back home.

I know it is off topic for this thread, but any recommendations on stay at both Madurai and Rameswaram? I would like a stay near the temple itself. Also what are the parking options in Rameswaram? Thanks.

Most Viewed