Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:03   #8191
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Guys, driving to Kovalam from Cochin next weekend. Which route should i take?

1) NH-47 all the way
2) Reach Alleppey, take AC road - Changanassery - Thiruvalla - Adoor - Kottarakara and join after Kollam

I had taken the normal NH-47 route couple of months back and the traffic was horrible. Being Saturday and long weekend, I feel the traffic will be high.

Looking for smooth roads with less traffic. Suggestions please.
I drove via MC road and NH 47 to Trivandrum from Vaikom.
I think your should take the NH 47. The road is good (some bad patches near Chavara). If you start early in the morning, NH 47 should be faster.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:03   #8192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
Hi all, need to do a Rameswaram temple visit tomorrow that is planned just today. Planning to include Madurai as well in the trip. I am travelling from Alappuzha (Cherthala) and the Google maps shows the below route. Cherthala - Kottayam - Kanjirappally - Vandiperiyar - Kumali - Cumbam - Theni - Madurai - Rameswaram.
How is this route - traffic / road conditions? Is there any better route than this one? My plan is -
A bit rough till Kumily from Vandeperiyar. Theni-Madurai is decent. Maduai-Rameshwaram is again decent. But all 2-lane roads only.

Quote:
I know it is off topic for this thread, but any recommendations on stay at both Madurai and Rameswaram? I would like a stay near the temple itself. Also what are the parking options in Rameswaram? Thanks.
Madurai has umpteen hotels. But be specific to check for car park. Many dont have, but the hotel themselves are good. One is Metropole.

For Rameshwaram the best is Daiwik.
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:06   #8193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
IMO, NH47 is good except for Kollam where there was a diversion when I did last time. Also, take the bypass after Technopark.

Traffic on MC road also will be high. Plan an early morning start irrespective of route, if possible.

I'm not regular on this route. Wait for others opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I traveled to Trivandrum in a Force Traveller today. Started at 0630 Hrs from Vazhakkala and reached Kazhakkoottam by 1100 Hrs, with a 30 minutes break for breakfast. Beyond Kayamkulam Traffic started building up very fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblecr View Post
Take NH 47 completely, it is in good condition now except a few patches near Chavara. Avoid taking shortcuts. Remember there is NO bye-pass road in Alleppey or Kollam. Taking shortcuts will save a maximum of 2-3 minutes but on the other hand it may lead you to wrong routes or loops.

Need to take a small diversion at Chinnakada roundabout, Kollam due to the construction of a road underpass but proper signboards are there all the way.

Start early (around 4-4.30 AM) you could reach Kazhakuttom in 4 hours max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I drove via MC road and NH 47 to Trivandrum from Vaikom.
I think your should take the NH 47. The road is good (some bad patches near Chavara). If you start early in the morning, NH 47 should be faster.
Thanks guys. I am planning to stick with NH-47 all the way. Just worried about the traffic in Kollam. Anyways, I am not in a hurry so can tolerate the traffic . Planning to leave Cochin at 7am. Shall update once I reach Kovalam.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:07   #8194
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cherthala - Kottayam - Kanjirappally - Vandiperiyar - Kumali - Cumbam - Theni - Madurai - Rameswaram.
How is this route - traffic / road conditions? Is there any better route than this one? My plan is -....
I know it is off topic for this thread, but any recommendations on stay at both Madurai and Rameswaram? I would like a stay near the temple itself. Also what are the parking options in Rameswaram?
You can post in the Madurai, Rameshwaram thread for more details.

Route - I'm not aware of the conditions on the Kerala side, but Madurai-Rameshwaram is very good from what I know.

Hotels:
Rameshwaram - Daiwik (excellent, expensive) or Queen Palace (decent)
Madurai - Hotel Metropole is good and very close to the Rameshwaram highway so no need to get into the town
Some hotels closer to the temple are Hotel Supreme (Parking opposite to the hotel in an open space) and New College House.

Some more points:
1. Having gone upto Rameshwaram, do try to visit Dhanushkodi also, it's worth it.
2. At Madurai, better to park the car in the hotel and take an auto/taxi to the temple, finding parking in the narrow streets around the temple is a challenge.
3. If you like south indian veg. food, don't miss Sabari near New College House.

Last edited by NPV : 22nd January 2015 at 12:10.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:09   #8195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I know it is off topic for this thread, but any recommendations on stay at both Madurai and Rameswaram? I would like a stay near the temple itself. Also what are the parking options in Rameswaram? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A bit rough till Kumily from Vandeperiyar. Theni-Madurai is decent. Maduai-Rameshwaram is again decent. But all 2-lane roads only.

Madurai has umpteen hotels. But be specific to check for car park. Many dont have, but the hotel themselves are good. One is Metropole.

For Rameshwaram the best is Daiwik.
In Madurai, you can try Hotel North gate. Decent hotel with car parking. I stayed there in Dec 2013. Safe car parking was my requirement.

In Rameshwaram, you can also check - Hotel Queen Palace. Daiwik is good but I feel it is bit overpriced for what they provide.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:11   #8196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. I am planning to stick with NH-47 all the way. Just worried about the traffic in Kollam. Anyways, I am not in a hurry so can tolerate the traffic . Planning to leave Cochin at 7am. Shall update once I reach Kovalam.
There is a diversion in Chengannur on MC road due to some bridge construction. I lost around 10 minutes due to it. Stick to NH 47.
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:40   #8197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Actually the High Range roads were in pretty good condition all through when I travelled that way last month (including the Vandiperiyar-Kumily stretch that was bad earlier). The only issue would be the inability to overtake due to the winding roads and high traffic, but I guess the traffic would have eased by now since the Sabarimala season is over.

There are short bad stretches off and on between Kumily and Theni - better to be on the lookout for these because they come up suddenly after fairly long smooth stretches. Also the roads are generally rough within most towns / villages in that sector (Gudalur, Cumbum, Uthamapalayam, Theni)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
There is a diversion in Chengannur on MC road due to some bridge construction. I lost around 10 minutes due to it. Stick to NH 47.
Any merit in taking NH47 upto Kayamkulam and then switching to MC road via the Kayamkulam-Adoor connecting road ? I'll be driving from Ernakulam to Trivandrum on 26th and I'm also wary of the traffic around Kollam.

Last edited by kala : 22nd January 2015 at 14:01. Reason: Add query about Ernakulam-Trivandrum drive
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:23   #8198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

Any merit in taking NH47 upto Kayamkulam and then switching to MC road via the Kayamkulam-Adoor connecting road ? I'll be driving from Ernakulam to Trivandrum on 26th and I'm also wary of the traffic around Kollam.
I have no idea. Haven't taken the Kayamkulam - Adoor route recently. But, in general it does not make sense to take a longer route in Kerala as all routes are congested. Better to take the shortest route if the road is good.
Old 22nd January 2015, 15:09   #8199
Senior - BHPian

Drove back from Irinjalakuda to Bangalore yesterday. Took the usual Irinjalakuda - thalore - mannuthy - palakkad - valayar - Coimbatore - Salem - Hosur - Bangalore route.
Irinjalakuda - Talore - Mannuthy - good roads.

mannuthy - palakkad - If you want to hone your skill in playing chicken, this is the place. Be very careful if you are driving early morning.There is no markings when the few good four lane stretches start or end, so if you are not on a constant look out, you will end up hitting the ridges hard.

Palakkad - Walayar - with sparse traffic, this stretch have become a 15 minute affair. Again, watch out for incoming traffic in both lanes.

Walayar - Coimbatore - Nothing new to update. as usual, pothole filled roads, till you enter L&T bypass.

Coimbatore - Bangalore - Nothing new to update.

OT: Read in the paper that the six lane work between vadakkanchery and mannuthy is completely stopped now.

--Anoop
Old 22nd January 2015, 16:23   #8200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Take the Trivandrum bypass from Kazhakkuttam which will take you directly to Kovalam; though narrow beyond the city limits, road surfaces are good and conducive for a spirited drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
From Kayamkulam NH47 is the best to Trivandrum.. Kollam will not bog you down as there are other routes to avoid Chinnakkada where the bridge work is going on.

Last edited by rajeev k : 22nd January 2015 at 16:30.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 17:24   #8201
Senior - BHPian

naveen.raju / kala, as others mentioned, better to stick to NH47. Some stretches near Karunagapally/Chavara have some bad craters, but overall road is OK as far as condition goes.
Road is narrow and traffic is crazy during the day (I do KYLM - QLN atleast twice a week), but if you leave early it should be not that bad.
There are a few speed-cams on this route - so stick to the speed-limit.

The Chinnakada overbridge has been pulled down, so you would have to go via Kadappakada - enough diversion-boards in place that you would not miss.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 17:32   #8202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Some stretches near Karunagapally/Chavara have some bad craters, but overall road is OK as far as condition goes.
Add the Thottappally - Haripad stretch too to the list; where the top layer, done during the early phase of the last monsoon, had totally gone off.

Last edited by rajeev k : 22nd January 2015 at 17:36.
Old 22nd January 2015, 22:56   #8203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Ernakulam-Piravom-Thirumaradi-Palakkuzha-Thodupuzha is in good condition. The bad stretch between Palakkuzha and Thodupuzha is relaid. Thodupuzha bypass from Nediyasala is dug up as on yesterday.
There is a new link coming from Thodupuzha to connect to Choondi(NH49) or directly to Thiruvankulam. This is through Thodupuzha-Pandappilly-Aaroor-Mannathoor-Pampakkuda-Choondi. This route is has 1-2kms more distance to reach Choondi than through NH49. This is realizing, as I've seen the road is being widened from Manakkad to Pandappilly. Only few kms between Pandappilly and Manakkad needs to be completed. When completed, this will help travellers from Thodupuzha to bypass Muvattupuzha-Kolenchery stretch.

Another route which is taken from Thodupuzha is through reaching Arakuzha either through Vazhakulam-Nadukkara-Moozhy route which is not in very good condition or through Thodupuzha-Manakkad-Pandappilly-Arakuzha and there after turning right to East Marady (MC road) and take the Marady-Peruvammuzhy(NH49) route.
Old 23rd January 2015, 00:46   #8204
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, driving to Kovalam from Cochin next weekend. Which route should i take?

1) NH-47 all the way
2) Reach Alleppey, take AC road - Changanassery - Thiruvalla - Adoor - Kottarakara and join after Kollam

I had taken the normal NH-47 route couple of months back and the traffic was horrible. Being Saturday and long weekend, I feel the traffic will be high.

Looking for smooth roads with less traffic. Suggestions please.

I did this route in the opposite direction during last week of December wherein it took 7 hours for 200 plus Kms. It was a 10am start and there was traffic everywhere. Doubt whether 7am start would be enough. Suggest you start by 5am, if possible. Few stretches were having average roads only.
Old 23rd January 2015, 05:49   #8205
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Drove back from Irinjalakuda to Bangalore yesterday. Took the usual Irinjalakuda - thalore - mannuthy - palakkad - valayar - Coimbatore - Salem - Hosur - Bangalore route.
Irinjalakuda - Talore - Mannuthy - good roads.
After Mannuthy, you could have taken Vadakkencherry - Nemmara - Kollengode - Pollachi - Palladam - Avinashi and then NH 47 upto Salem, then NH 7 back to Bangalore (from Avinashi it would have been the same route you took).
I felt the same about the Palakkad - Alathur stretch, quite dangerous given that the complete and incomplete sections suddenly alternate without warnings/signages

Last edited by NPV : 23rd January 2015 at 05:51.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks