Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2015, 12:55   #8461
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post
But the work from Vadakkancherry to Walayar is being done by a different company, which is in progress right now.
I saw some road building activity at Kuthiran (near the place known as Irumbupalam). And was under the impression that all is fine from Chandranagar to Mannuthi. So are you saying that even NOW, only the Walayar->Vadakkanchery (i.e in Pgt Dt.) that every thing is finalised? And the short stretch in Thrissur Dt (Kuthiran to Mannuthi) is still undecided??
Old 16th April 2015, 13:07   #8462
Senior - BHPian

Update as on a recent trip:

Mannuthy-Vadakkancherry: Good surface
Vadakkancherry-Palakkad: Four lane completed except for last 3-4 kms
Chandra Nagar overbridge open and its towards Palakkad
Palakkad-Walayar: Excellent, expect toll collection soon
Walayar-L&T: Bumpy
L&T-Salem-Dharmapuri-Bangalore: Good as always

All bumps from Avinashi side removed till Karumathampatti and its a smooth sailing. Karumathampatti-L&T tarring work is going on and hope it gets over in a weeks time.

First image is on Vadakkancherry-Palakkad stretch and remaining at Walayar.
Looks like parking at RTO is improved a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-vchrypgt.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-pgtwalayar.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-walayar-toll.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-rto.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-parking.jpg  

coolclouds is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 16:34   #8463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
So are you saying that even NOW, only the Walayar->Vadakkanchery (i.e in Pgt Dt.) that every thing is finalised? And the short stretch in Thrissur Dt (Kuthiran to Mannuthi) is still undecided??
Yes, The Palakkad-Thrissur stretch of the National Highway (NH47) was being executed in two stretches -
1 the four laning of the 54-km Walayar-Vadakkencherry (45 meter)
2 six laning of the 29-km Vadakkencherry-Mannuthy (60 meter)

Since both these were awarded to two different companies, the work could have been completed simultaneously. Unfortunately the work for the second stretch was halted long time back. Thereby even though the Walayar-Vadakkencherry stretch is completed, we may have to wait some more time for a continuous 4/6 lane track from Cochin to Palakkad. But the good side of this delay is that, it seems the government got some plans to straighten the road in this stretch by tunneling the hills, which substantially reduces the distance, fuel requirements as well as the time.

Last edited by sunil8089 : 16th April 2015 at 16:48. Reason: Spelling Mistake corrected
Old 16th April 2015, 17:25   #8464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the good side of this delay is that, it seems the government got some plans to straighten the road in this stretch by tunneling the hills, which substantially reduces the distance, fuel requirements as well as the time.
Yes. Because I remember reading a very optimistic (for a change!) report in Mathrubhumi which says that all hurdles for the four-laning between Walayar and Mannuthi are now over. The contractors have got their bank loans sanctioned. It was reported that initial part of the tunnel (at Kuthiran) would get bored before the monsoon sets in Kerala. It seems if the tunnel is bored in for some distance (5-10 mts??), then it does not matter if it is raining outside, tunnelling can go on.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 17:57   #8465
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post

All bumps from Avinashi side removed till Karumathampatti and its a smooth sailing. Karumathampatti-L&T tarring work is going on and hope it gets over in a weeks time.
when you say "all bumps" , are you referring to the 'so-bad-it-seems-like-a-gorilla-did-the-civil-work' humps on the small flyovers; the existence of which are warned through 30kmph boards and/or shivalingam shaped signage ?
Old 16th April 2015, 18:46   #8466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
when you say "all bumps" , are you referring to the 'so-bad-it-seems-like-a-gorilla-did-the-civil-work' humps on the small flyovers; the existence of which are warned through 30kmph boards and/or shivalingam shaped signage ?
Yes, I mean those humps over flyover. I could easily maintain a steady 100kmph all through without a gear change

Regarding the tunnel at Kuthiran, I'm totally against. Its a small ghat section and they could have easily widened it. Lets wait and see how bad its going to hit us in terms of toll.
Old 16th April 2015, 19:45   #8467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Mannuthy-Vadakkancherry: Good surface
Vadakkancherry-Palakkad: Four lane completed except for last 3-4 kms
Chandra Nagar overbridge open and its towards Palakkad
Palakkad-Walayar: Excellent, expect toll collection soon
Walayar-L&T: Bumpy
L&T-Salem-Dharmapuri-Bangalore: Good as always

First image is on Vadakkancherry-Palakkad stretch and remaining at Walayar.
Looks like parking at RTO is improved a lot!
That is great news. Planning to drive to Thrissur, Ekm and Kottayam over next weekend. Based on the reports here, it looks like I can go by the standard NH47 route between Sankari and Thrissur. I might still opt for Attibele > Palacode > Omallur > Sankari route to avoid the traffic and tolls between Bangalore and Salem.
Old 16th April 2015, 20:37   #8468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Palakkad-Thrissur stretch of the National Highway (NH47) was being executed in two stretches ...
IIRC, the tunnel plan was conceived long before the NHAI tendering the 4-laning of Walayar-Mannuthy stretch. I vaguely remember reading about the tunnel-boring hitting a road block recently
Quote:
Regarding the tunnel at Kuthiran, I'm totally against. Its a small ghat section and they could have easily widened it. Lets wait and see how bad its going to hit us in terms of toll.
+1, Jain
Old 16th April 2015, 22:57   #8469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, The Palakkad-Thrissur stretch of the National Highway (NH47) was being executed in two stretches -
1 the four laning of the 54-km Walayar-Vadakkencherry (45 meter)
2 six laning of the 29-km Vadakkencherry-Mannuthy (60 meter)
This doesn't make any sense. If anything, it should have been the other way round. 6 lane from Walayar to Vadakkenchery and 4 lane thereafter.
Old 17th April 2015, 08:17   #8470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
This doesn't make any sense. If anything, it should have been the other way round. 6 lane from Walayar to Vadakkenchery and 4 lane thereafter.
Vadakkenchery to Mannuthy has the Kuthiran gradient and a few other smaller ones, in addition to some turns. It's on the gradients that the overloaded trucks try to overtake one another at single digit speeds and hold up traffic very badly. 6 lanes is logical in this stretch. If/when the tunnel comes into existence (wishful thinking), this is a good move to preempt any traffic jams when some vehicle gets stranded in the tunnel.

Walayar-Vadakkenchery is like the Mannuthy-Angamaly stretch - more or less the same density of traffic and similar terrain - makes it difficult to acquire more land to have the highway any wider.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 09:08   #8471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Vadakkenchery to Mannuthy has the Kuthiran gradient and a few other smaller ones, in addition to some turns. It's on the gradients that the overloaded trucks try to overtake one another at single digit speeds and hold up traffic very badly. 6 lanes is logical in this stretch. If/when the tunnel comes into existence (wishful thinking), this is a good move to preempt any traffic jams when some vehicle gets stranded in the tunnel.
While going towards palghat from thrissur, you will notice a huge area just before kuthrian being excavated. Chances for a tunnel work?
Old 17th April 2015, 09:30   #8472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju
While going towards palghat from thrissur, you will notice a huge area just before kuthrian being excavated. Chances for a tunnel work?
Kuthiran @ Wikimapia. At this area (in the map), even I could see some major earth moving activity going on. My understanding is that it is for the road widening (and perhaps tunnelling). When the four laning happens, at Kuthiran I feel the road may not take the existing alignment at all. May be they would try to get a more straighter route. The existing route can be a backup route, if there are any major accidents etc. in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo
That is great news. Planning to drive to Thrissur, Ekm and Kottayam over next weekend. Based on the reports here, it looks like I can go by the standard NH47 route between Sankari and Thrissur.
During the last two trips towards Thrissur, I have used the NH47. A bit irritating at times with slow moving trucks and private buses going a bit recklessly. But the time saved is worth the effort. The Palakkad->Ottapalam->Shornur stretch seems to be a bit of an arduous task for the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere
the existence of which are warned through 30kmph boards and/or shivalingam shaped signage ?
Yes. I see that there is some fast paced re-tarring work going on, and the roads are getting smoothed. Most likely the putting of the line markings also would be getting completed soon. And then the toll collection would also start. But there are still some minor stretches where the 30kmph caution boards warning for humps out there. Last time when we took this route, wifey was at the wheels. I was like the assistant engine driver on the train looking out for signals and caution boards. "30kmph board..." I shout, and wifey acknowledges and reduce the speed. She took some time to figure out the connection between 30kmph board and the uneven road surface/humps.

Gentlemen, before I forget. What is the future plans for the L&T byepass?? When they opened this up, this was the best part of the whole highway. Now it is the worst and a possible bottle neck as well. L&T seems to be least bit bothered about any road widening, building of fly overs etc.
Old 17th April 2015, 09:48   #8473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Yes, this is one end and other end you can see near the iron bridge.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 09:58   #8474
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I mean those humps over flyover. I could easily maintain a steady 100kmph all through without a gear change

Looking forward for my drive to Thrissur from Bangalore next weekend!

About the tunnel, wasn't it because the family owning the temple in Kuthiran refusing to budge and thus making the widening impossible?
Old 17th April 2015, 10:23   #8475
Senior - BHPian

Reliable Petrol Pumps in tamil nadu near Kerala Border

Since fuel is now cheaper in Tamil Nadu than Kerala, it makes sense to fill up in TN. Which are the reliable petrol pumps in TN near Kerala border ( Bangalore - Wayalar & Walayar - Bangalore sides)

thanks.

Most Viewed