Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2015, 10:41   #8476
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
While going towards palghat from thrissur, you will notice a huge area just before kuthrian being excavated. Chances for a tunnel work?
I did see the deep excavation site when we passed that area on sunday last, and also another one near the Irumbupaalam, as coolclouds mentioned.

But I'm not able to dig out the news item where I read that they've hit a road block with the tunnel because of shortage of funds. This one below hints at that, but I remember reading/watching something more informative.
http://english.manoramaonline.com/ne...velopment.html
Old 17th April 2015, 10:46   #8477
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, going to Thekkady from Cochin sometime in May. Please suggest the best route. Starting at 8am and also need suggestions regarding lunch stop enroute.
Old 17th April 2015, 11:44   #8478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I did see the deep excavation site when we passed that area on sunday last, and also another one near the Irumbupaalam, as coolclouds mentioned.

But I'm not able to dig out the news item where I read that they've hit a road block with the tunnel because of shortage of funds. This one below hints at that, but I remember reading/watching something more informative.
Actually I am also a bit confused. Around three months back Mathrubhumi Malayalam had come up with a 4 column news which was all happy to read. It clearly said that all show-stoppers on road widening has now been cleared. The banks are okay to lend the funds (they were hesitant, it seems earlier). And even mentioned that tunnelling would start at the earliest.

Now for the past two days, the news is the opposite. That nothing has been progressing.
Old 17th April 2015, 12:48   #8479
BHPian

Re: Reliable Petrol Pumps in tamil nadu near Kerala Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Since fuel is now cheaper in Tamil Nadu than Kerala, it makes sense to fill up in TN. Which are the reliable petrol pumps in TN near Kerala border ( Bangalore - Wayalar & Walayar - Bangalore sides)

thanks.
I usually go for the COCO BPCL outlet before L&T byepass while coming from Walayar.

THIS is in Ettimadai and here are the co-ordinates "10°53'30.4"N 76°55'20.9"E"

Cheers!

Last edited by treadmark : 17th April 2015 at 12:49.
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 12:50   #8480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Now for the past two days, the news is the opposite. That nothing has been progressing.
I see the recent developments as positive, because something is happening, than nothing. At least there is some public awareness on what's happening.

Also once the Vadakkancherry - Walayar stretch is completed, there will be a lot of public focus at this stretch - from Mannuthy to Vadakkancherry. Then naturally there will be a public outcry to complete it which fuels the government to move quickly.
sunil8089 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 14:39   #8481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Road work stopped since banks have not cleared the loan - say they cannot extend credit to company with poor balance sheet. Company says they can come into black only if they execute the project. So basically a chicken and egg story

The permission from forest department for the tunnel work has also lapsed and they have not bothered renewing it

Source : Mathrubhumi print edition
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 19:18   #8482
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, going to Thekkady from Cochin sometime in May. Please suggest the best route. Starting at 8am and also need suggestions regarding lunch stop enroute.
Well, shortest routes to Thekkady from Cochin (Kadavanthra Jn) are through Vagamon etc (Ghat Roads) which comes to about 145~150 Kms.

A) Making maximum through National Highways 47 & 220 is my favourite one which comes to about 196 Kms. Vytilla-Aleppey-Perunna(Changanacherry)-Vazhoor(Joins NH 220)-Ponkunnam-Mundakkayam-Peermedu-Thekkady Jn.

B) Another preferred shorter route is via Kanjiramattom-Kuravilangad-Pala-Ponkunnam(Joins NH220)-Thekkady Jn: 160 Kms

Now preferred eating places

along route A: Travancore Palace (Cherthala), KTDC Restaurant(Aleppey), Contour Backwaters (AC Road, Changanassery),
Avees Puttu House (AC Road, Changanassery), Hotel Elegance (NH220, between Ponkunnam and Kanjirappally), Thrisanku Haven (Kuttikkanam), The Plantation Restaurant (NH 220, between Peermedu & Vandiperiyar)

along route B: Varsha International(Kaduthuruthy) then same as route A.

Further, please remember to do advance boat booking on site of Periyar Tiger Reserve, try for the first trip in the morning (better chances of seeing some wild animals) and after the boat trip have breakfast at KTDC Aranya Niwas at the Boat landing place itself.

philgrac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 22:10   #8483
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reliable Petrol Pumps in tamil nadu near Kerala Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Since fuel is now cheaper in Tamil Nadu than Kerala, it makes sense to fill up in TN. Which are the reliable petrol pumps in TN near Kerala border ( Bangalore - Wayalar & Walayar - Bangalore sides)

thanks.
Back in 2011, the difference in petrol price between Kerala and KA used to be close to Rs 6. Looks like Kerala has overtaken KA.
Old 17th April 2015, 22:23   #8484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had taken two routes from Muvattupuzha to Club Mahindra, Thekkady. While going to Thekkady, took Thodupuzha-Idukki-Kattappana-Thekkadi route which was a very nice experience. In Kulamavu, you may even spot some elephants also. On return, we took Kumily-Kanjirappilly-Thodupuzha-Muvattupuzha road. There is a shortcut through Kappad to bypass Kanjirappilly. Time taken was almost the same. If in the day time, I will choose Thodupuzha-Kattappana-Kumily-Thekkady highway.

Recently, Muvattupuzha-Pothanicaud-Chelachuvadu-Idukki route is increasingly being used by private cars as the route seems shorter and faster. But, I've heard there are ghat sections which are tough for many vehicles as well as the deserted roads which presently may not be in good condition.

From Ernakulam, you have the option, Vyttila-Thalayolaparambe-Pala-Erattupetta road also.

Last edited by deepclutch : 17th April 2015 at 22:32.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 23:32   #8485
BHPian

Quote:
There are several routes.

1. Kochi - Muvattupuzha - Thodupuzha - Kanjar - Vagamon - Elappara - Kuttikkanam - Kumily - Thekady.

2. Kochi - Kaduthuruthy - Pala - Erattupetta - Vagamon - Elappara - Kuttikkanam - Kumily - Thekady.

3. Kochi - Kaduthuruthy - Pala - Erattupetta - Kanjirappally - Kumily - Thekady.

4. Kochi - Kottayam - Kanjirappally - Kumily - Thekady.

5. Kochi - Piravom - Koothattukulam - Ramapuram - Pala - Thekady.

Distances are almost similar. Roads are good. The first 2 would give some nice scenic drive.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2015, 09:01   #8486
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrac View Post
Well, shortest routes to Thekkady from Cochin (Kadavanthra Jn) are through Vagamon etc (Ghat Roads) which comes to about 145~150 Kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I had taken two routes from Muvattupuzha to Club Mahindra, Thekkady. While going to Thekkady, took Thodupuzha-Idukki-Kattappana-Thekkadi route which was a very nice experience. In Kulamavu, you may even spot some elephants also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
There are several routes.
1. Kochi - Muvattupuzha - Thodupuzha - Kanjar - Vagamon - Elappara - Kuttikkanam - Kumily - Thekady.
I am planning to take Kadavanthara - Vytilla - Muvattupuzha - Thodupuzha - Kulamavu - Vagamon - Thekkady. I want to know the stretch between Kulamavu - Vagamon. Is it advisable to take this route? Also, would like to know the best lunch stop enroute. Leaving at 7.30 - 8am.
Old 18th April 2015, 09:04   #8487
Senior - BHPian

My pick would be Vyttila-Muvattupuzha-Thodupuzha-Muttom-Moolamattom-Kanjar-Vagamon-Elappara-Kuttikkanam-Vandiperiyar-Peermedu-Thekkady.

Good and scenic road. Narrow and few patches here and there (as on 45 days back) but nothing to worry.
coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 21:28   #8488
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to take Kadavanthara - Vytilla - Muvattupuzha - Thodupuzha - Kulamavu - Vagamon - Thekkady. I want to know the stretch between Kulamavu - Vagamon. Is it advisable to take this route? Also, would like to know the best lunch stop enroute. Leaving at 7.30 - 8am.
AFAIK, there is no direct route to Vagamon from Kulamavu. You'll have to drive back and go either via Kanjar or Moolamattom.

It'll take 4-5 hours from Kochi to Thekady, so if you're driving without much breaks, you'll be at Kumily by lunch time. Or Vagamon, Kuttikkanam etc. have decent eateries but I'd recommend Kumily for lunch.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 23:26   #8489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why not go to Thekkady from Kulamavu, and then return via Vagamon.

Last edited by rajeev k : 19th April 2015 at 23:29.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 09:37   #8490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
AFAIK, there is no direct route to Vagamon from Kulamavu. You'll have to drive back and go either via Kanjar or Moolamattom.

It'll take 4-5 hours from Kochi to Thekady, so if you're driving without much breaks, you'll be at Kumily by lunch time. Or Vagamon, Kuttikkanam etc. have decent eateries but I'd recommend Kumily for lunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Why not go to Thekkady from Kulamavu, and then return via Vagamon.
This is the route. Wanted to know how good this stretch is and whether this is the recommended route?

All Roads to Kerala-screenshot_3.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks