Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2015, 12:59   #8491
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This is the route. Wanted to know how good this stretch is and whether this is the recommended route?

Attachment 1362551
Route shown is Moolamattom to Vagamon. There are two routes to Vagamon from this side, via Kanjar and the other one via Moolamattom. I have been through both these routes with my Honda City (low GC!) and found Moolamattom route is better. With your Ecosport, feel you will have no problems!

BTW, have you dropped Kulamavu from the route? If you want to include Kulamavu, then you will have to go up to Kattappana then to Vagamon-Kuttikkanam, then to Kumily-Thekkady.

Eating places:
Off Thodupuzha: Ripples Drive In Restaurant, about 4 Kms on Thodupuzha-Moolamattom Rd.

On the Idukki route, there are not many good restaurants and the only okay one which I could find was "Pappans Family Restaurant" at Cheruthoni town (about 100 Meters away on Cheruthoni-Neriyamangalam Rd).
Other option is the Restaurant at the Greenberg Resort at Nadukani (Kulamavu), where an advance telephone food order is recommended. Resort is located about 2 Kms off from the Main Road. Their tel no: 0486 2259984/86.

At Vagamon; Adrak Summer Sand Hill Resort Restaurant. Advance Tel. food order recommended and located next to Pine valley at Kolahalamedu.
philgrac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 13:07   #8492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrac View Post
BTW, have you dropped Kulamavu from the route? If you want to include Kulamavu, then you will have to go up to Kattappana then to Vagamon-Kuttikkanam, then to Kumily-Thekkady.

Eating places:
Off Thodupuzha: Ripples Drive In Restaurant, about 4 Kms on Thodupuzha-Moolamattom Rd.

On the Idukki route, there are not many good restaurants and the only okay one which I could find was "Pappans Family Restaurant" at Cheruthoni town (about 100 Meters away on Cheruthoni-Neriyamangalam Rd).
Other option is the Restaurant at the Greenberg Resort at Nadukani (Kulamavu), where an advance telephone food order is recommended. Resort is located about 2 Kms off from the Main Road. Their tel no: 0486 2259984/86.

At Vagamon; Adrak Summer Sand Hill Resort Restaurant. Advance Tel. food order recommended and located next to Pine valley at Kolahalamedu.
I had no route in mind and I thought Kulamavu was enroute. This is as per the route given in google. So planning to stick with it. So looks like, vagamon will be the lunch stop.

I do remember Pappans restaurant. I used this place many times as I had taken this route for official purpose. It's a kind of basement type restaurant right wherein you need to go down to access the restaurant? Anyways, I shall stick to this route and see if I can reach vagamon for lunch.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 15:54   #8493
BHPian

Please help in planning route for Bangalore - Thekkady - Munnar - Bangalore trip. From suggestion in another thread (thanks to ever helpful Ampere !), I have almost finalized Bangalore -Thekkady route which is this. I need help in finalizing Thekkady to Munnar ( tentative route )and Munnar to Bangalore route (tentative route ). I'll be driving a small hatch (Ritz petrol), so roads with better conditions are preferred. Also, My plan is to visit Top station, Eravikulam national park, Mattupetty dam, Rajamalai (is it same as Eraviklulam?), Kundala lake. Can I visit all these places in my car? Also, please suggest duration of Thekkady stay (2 nights or 1 night ?) and Munnar stay (2 nights?).
Old 20th April 2015, 18:11   #8494
BHPian

Quote:
I had no route in mind and I thought Kulamavu was enroute. This is as per the route given in google. So planning to stick with it. So looks like, vagamon will be the lunch stop.

I do remember Pappans restaurant. I used this place many times as I had taken this route for official purpose. It's a kind of basement type restaurant right wherein you need to go down to access the restaurant? Anyways, I shall stick to this route and see if I can reach vagamon for lunch.
Naveen, you are very correct. Restaurant is at the basement and is very heavily crowded. There is a A/C hall in the restaurant with its own wash and rest room. Attaching a recent photo of the restaurant, just to refresh your memory.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-pappans-cheruthoni.jpg  

Old 20th April 2015, 19:34   #8495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Can I visit all these places in my car? Also, please suggest duration of Thekkady stay (2 nights or 1 night ?) and Munnar stay (2 nights?).
Your onward route looks fine, there were few conflicting reports last year when I checked regarding route from Nh 7 till Batalagundu though. If to take the route you mentioned or drive further south on NH 7 and take right. I had taken the second option and road condition was good.

For Thekkady I would suggest you book stay in any of the KSTDC resorts. This will help you in getting boating tickets without any fuss, also since it is located inside the park, it will be easier for you to reach.

I dont think more than a nights stay is required in Thekkady, based on the time you reach you can opt for either the evening or morning boat ride and start off to Munnar.

Thekkady - Munnar route again is correct, the same way Munnar - Bangalore route too. You can take a small detour to visit Marayoor Muniyara during return.

All places you mentioned can be done easily in your Ritz, I had done the same in my Alto.

Yes, Rajamalai and Eravikulam are the same.

You can check my travelogue which has almost the same route.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 19:40   #8496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please help in planning route for Bangalore - Thekkady - Munnar - Bangalore trip. From suggestion in another thread (thanks to ever helpful Ampere !), I have almost finalized Bangalore -Thekkady route which is this. I need help in finalizing Thekkady to Munnar ( tentative route )and Munnar to Bangalore route (tentative route ). I'll be driving a small hatch (Ritz petrol), so roads with better conditions are preferred. Also, My plan is to visit Top station, Eravikulam national park, Mattupetty dam, Rajamalai (is it same as Eraviklulam?), Kundala lake. Can I visit all these places in my car? Also, please suggest duration of Thekkady stay (2 nights or 1 night ?) and Munnar stay (2 nights?).
About your Bangalore-Thekkady route :

Not sure why the route you have shown shows a deviation from the regular NH220 just before Uthamapalayam (onto SH102) and joining back at Cumbum. I've always travelled on the NH itself, and other than the fact that roads are a bit rough around the small towns (and a bit crowded) the road surface was quite good. Is the SH102 diversion a suggestion from Google Maps or something that someone else suggested ?

Also I have never taken the Theni byepass - always gone through the town itself. There again the road inside the town is a bit rough and trafficky - so the byepass may perhaps help in that regard.

Haven't done the Thekkady-Munnar trip for a very long time - so can't offer concrete suggestions. Whenever I've gone on that route went I've always gone via Vandanmedu-Puliyanmala-Nedumkandom and not Anavilasom-Kattappana-Nedumkandom. Those roads were quite good then. May be things have changed now ?

For the return trip, you have the two options - one via Bodimettu-Theni-Dindigul-NH7 and the other one via Marayoor-Udumalpettai-Palladam-Avinashi-NH47/NH7. Both roads are reportedly in reasonably good condition except probably the stretch through Chinnar sanctuary which may be rough in patches. The former may be a little bit faster (especially if your stay is in the Chinnakanal area), but you'd be retracing your forward route from Theni onwards. So if you want a change take the one via Udumalpettai - It's a pretty scenic drive.

As for duration my pick would be for more nights in Munnar than Thekkady because the weather tends to be much more pleasant there than in Thekkady. Not sure if there's enough to see in and around Thekkady for a 2 night stay but then I could be wrong since I haven't really spent too much of time there.

Yes - all the places you mentioned are reachable in a small hatch also. Not sure if they allow you to take your car into the Eravikulam sanctuary now - They used to allow it a long time back, but remember someone mentioning that you have to park your car the near the entrance and go up the hill in forest dept vehicles nowadays. (And yes - Rajamalai is mountain peak around which the Eravikulam NP is situated - I believe there are treks possible to the peak, but may be quite hectic for "normal" tourists)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 06:27   #8497
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please help in planning route for Bangalore - Thekkady - Munnar - Bangalore trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Not sure why the route you have shown shows a deviation from the regular NH220 just before Uthamapalayam (onto SH102) and joining back at Cumbum. I've always travelled on the NH itself, and other than the fact that roads are a bit rough around the small towns (and a bit crowded) the road surface was quite good. Is the SH102 diversion a suggestion from Google Maps or something that someone else suggested ?
I think thats a Google suggestion (typo from my side). The NH is the preferred one. Dont know why it suggested it when I posted that link. I did not even realize till you pointed it out!

Quote:
Also I have never taken the Theni byepass - always gone through the town itself. There again the road inside the town is a bit rough and trafficky - so the byepass may perhaps help in that regard.
Would prefer the bypass unless one needs to enter the town for break related purposes.

Ankan please note:
In case you need a hotel in Theni here is one:

http://www.hotelwesterngatz.com/

Quote:
May be things have changed now ?
The only reason I had suggested Kattapana was because it goes via nice rubber plantations as per what I remember last.

Quote:
For the return trip, you have the two options - one via Bodimettu-Theni-Dindigul-NH7 and the other one via Marayoor-Udumalpettai-Palladam-Avinashi-NH47/NH7. Both roads are reportedly in reasonably good condition except probably the stretch through Chinnar sanctuary which may be rough in patches. The former may be a little bit faster (especially if your stay is in the Chinnakanal area), but you'd be retracing your forward route from Theni onwards. So if you want a change take the one via Udumalpettai - It's a pretty scenic drive.
Udumalpet any day for the return drive just for the scenery. That was a hard lesson learnt for me quite some years back!

Quote:
As for duration my pick would be for more nights in Munnar than Thekkady because the weather tends to be much more pleasant there than in Thekkady.
Makes sense. I think Ankan's plan was to head to Thekkady and the drive back via Munnar. To actually enjoy Munnar, I would say a 3 night stay of which one day is thrown in for visiting places and rest just for lazing out. Chinnakanal area has a good view of the Anayirakanal Dam.

Last edited by ampere : 21st April 2015 at 06:30.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 10:00   #8498
BHPian

Hi Folks,

Please help with the best route to reach Kollam(Kerala) from Bangalore.

We are a husband and wife team, please do suggest the best time to start, as well as places to make a pit stop.

Posting this query so as to get the latest update on the road conditions as well.

Approximately how long does it take? Google says around 11 hrs!

Regards
Shailesh
Old 21st April 2015, 10:39   #8499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Hi Folks,

We are a husband and wife team, please do suggest the best time to start, as well as places to make a pit stop.

Posting this query so as to get the latest update on the road conditions as well.

Regards
Shailesh
Take the first route that turns up in Google Maps, NH7 all the way up to Thirumangalam and turn off to Thenkasi > Punalur > Kollam. the road condition is decent as far as I know. Going through Kerala (NH47) will take at least 2 hours extra, even through the distance is shorter. Bangalore to Madurai can be done in less than 7 hours for an early morning start, including breaks. The rest may take anywhere between 3 to 5 hours, depending on traffic and road condition.

Last edited by vasoo : 21st April 2015 at 10:42.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 11:24   #8500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Hi Folks,

Regards
Shailesh
Try to cover the Bangalore Madurai stretch in the shortest possible time as you have the luxury of NH7. For this try to leave Bangalore early say before 6 AM.
Once you enter 2 lane roads / Kerala post Madurai, your average speed drops down increasing your travel time.
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:16   #8501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Basically you get into Omalur town. The exit which points to Omalur town from the 4-lane.
This is while proceeding from Bangalore to Coimbatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
IF you are coming from CBE, the straightforward way to get into the Sankari-Tharamangalam-Omalur road is to take the entry into the sankari town at the end of bypass , follow the road into the town and take a right at the first major junction. This way you will not need to go too far into the town. Map below
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Here is how I normally take this route
While coming from CBE towards Salem -
In the Sankari bypass look for signboards of a TATA/Maruti service center; signboards are well placed. Turn left at that junction. Turn first right towards the single lane road about 1 km ahead. This single lane road is well laid and after around 6 km reaches the Sankari - Tharamangalam road. Turn left here and proceed towards Tharamangalam. Turn right at Tharamangalam town. Turn left at Omalur town and join NH7 2 km after.
Are both of you talking about the same exit or is it different?
Old 22nd April 2015, 17:42   #8502
BHPian

Quote:
Here is how I normally take this route
While coming from CBE towards Salem -
In the Sankari bypass look for signboards of a TATA/Maruti service center; signboards are well placed. Turn left at that junction. Turn first right towards the single lane road about 1 km ahead. This single lane road is well laid and after around 6 km reaches the Sankari - Tharamangalam road. Turn left here and proceed towards Tharamangalam. Turn right at Tharamangalam town. Turn left at Omalur town and join NH7 2 km after.
Thanks for the spot on directions. I followed this route and the first right into the single lane road is likely to be missed if not paying attention. It is a narrow road with lots if twists and turns, and surprisingly maintained very well. Each turn has the warning sign boards.

Quote:
While coming from Bagalore towards Salem:
You will see Salem airport on left side, turn left at Omalur turn off around 2-3 km from the aiport, turn right at Omalur town, turn left at Tharamangalam town, keep going until you see a '6km to Sankari' milestone. On the left side you will find a small hill as well. Turn right there to the single lane road, after 6 km, turn left and then turn right to NH47.
I guess you meant 'right'. Is it at the same junction where we join back while coming towards BLR? Somehow I missed the Selam Airport signage and this turn. I will try it next time.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 19:24   #8503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the route. Wanted to know how good this stretch is and whether this is the recommended route?
Yes I could get some information for you.
From Vagamon you can get to Kulamavu through the road to Kanjar and get to Arakkulam
One of my friends did this route two weeks ago and said that roads are OK. Up to Kanjar roads are good but narrow and there would be fog late in the evening. So better to start from Vagamon soon after lunch.
He also told that the route is quite scenic and the drive would be entertaining. Your planned route is a recommended one.

Last edited by rajeev k : 22nd April 2015 at 19:42.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 20:35   #8504
Senior - BHPian

New cameras are being installed between Kariyad and Athani (Both sides). This one is fixed on a bar across the road and looks like an interceptor type speed radar.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 22:36   #8505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
This is while proceeding from Bangalore to Coimbatore

Are both of you talking about the same exit or is it different?
No, they are different. The route I suggest is to bypass Sankari town, where as the other one is to go via Sankari town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post

I guess you meant 'right'. Is it at the same junction where we join back while coming towards BLR? Somehow I missed the Selam Airport signage and this turn. I will try it next time.
You are right. I remember correcting this typo within 30 mts of posting it; looks like its still there. let me flag the post and get it corrected by the mods.
Yes its the same junction where we join back while coming towards BLR.

Last edited by arjithin : 22nd April 2015 at 22:38.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks