Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2015, 22:58   #8506
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
New cameras are being installed between Kariyad and Athani (Both sides). This one is fixed on a bar across the road and looks like an interceptor type speed radar.
Hmmm. So the new ones probably have a longer range. I welcome it, as in the current state of affairs, many folks overtake you very fast and abruptly brake just near the speed cam on the median. It's kind of reality irritating, and sometimes they slow down to 70-60kmph from 100+ on the speed lane when one should be driving at 90.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 15:43   #8507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Hmmm. So the new ones probably have a longer range. I welcome it, as in the current state of affairs, many folks overtake you very fast and abruptly brake just near the speed cam on the median.
When Rishiraj Singh IPS was the MV Dept. chief had invented many good schemes to trap speeders. This was when applications like Waze gained popularity as it had provisions to mark speed cameras. RS Singh started placing or no functional cameras at places. Net result was that people had to become more cautious as they can't figure out which one works and which one does'nt.

Another of his scheme was to have non-official looking vehicles placed near highways with radars concealed inside. The officers manning these vehicles would not flag down the vehicle, but just record the violation. My understanding was that it was piloted in MC Road, but don't know if it is true. People only started thinking about "suspicious vehicles parked on the side" when they got a notice from the MV Dept .
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:01   #8508
BHPian

I am planning for a Bangalore-Trivandrum trip (Night trip -starting Bangalore from 5PM). last time when I traveled, the roads from kavalkinar-kaliyikkavila was in broken condition. any latest update on the route ?
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:08   #8509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Another of his scheme was to have non-official looking vehicles placed near highways with radars concealed inside. The officers manning these vehicles would not flag down the vehicle, but just record the violation.
My view is that if this is true, it is highly irresponsible and reduces my respect for Rishiraj Singh a notch. What if the vehicle it just recorded killed a pedestrian a few km down the road? A life could have been saved had the interceptor indeed intercepted the speeding vehicle.

My point is that any police force must not be treated as a revenue generating mechanism - their primary responsibility must be protection of life and possessions. Collecting a fine several weeks subsequently does not adequately compensate for the fact that the interceptor let the public down on its core responsibility - of making the roads safe for everyone.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:43   #8510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My view is that if this is true, it is highly irresponsible and reduces my respect for Rishiraj Singh a notch. What if the vehicle it just recorded killed a pedestrian a few km down the road? A life could have been saved had the interceptor indeed intercepted the speeding vehicle.

My point is that any police force must not be treated as a revenue generating mechanism - their primary responsibility must be protection of life and possessions. Collecting a fine several weeks subsequently does not adequately compensate for the fact that the interceptor let the public down on its core responsibility - of making the roads safe for everyone.
None of the usual speed cameras installed on highways actually catch the speeders on the spot. They just record them and send a challan to home address. So I don't know how having disguised cars recording speed makes it irresponsible.
Old 23rd April 2015, 19:15   #8511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Another of his scheme was to have non-official looking vehicles placed near highways with radars concealed inside. The officers manning these vehicles would not flag down the vehicle, but just record the violation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
None of the usual speed cameras installed on highways actually catch the speeders on the spot. They just record them and send a challan to home address. So I don't know how having disguised cars recording speed makes it irresponsible.
I was responding to the specific part of Sachin's post (I quoted only that much). It clearly mentions that there are officers inside these vehicles, which I have highlighted now.
Old 23rd April 2015, 22:50   #8512
BHPian

Light Metro: Rs 850 cr for Road Widening
Quote:
“In the first phase road widening would be carried out for the light metro. An 8-km stretch from Kazhakoottam to Kesavadasapuram in Thiruvananthapuram would be widened at an estimated cost of Rs 500 crore while in Kozhikode a 6-km stretch from Mananchira to Meenchantha would be widened. For this, an estimated cost of Rs 350 crore is expected.

“It was decided to issue administrative sanction of Rs 850 crore and construction will start immediately,” Oommen Chandy said.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...cle2778343.ece
Old 24th April 2015, 09:59   #8513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Perhaps I did not articulate it well, apologies. For one, this is just a story I have heard, so I don't know if he actually tried out the scheme. But we need not assume that if the crew inside the vehicle actually saw a motor vehicle accident they would just stay put in the vehicle and ignore it. We need to assume that at least as being human beings (and as common citizens as well) the MVD officials would step in, put up a chase in case they actually see a motor vehicle doing a "hit & run".

The idea of using cars in mufti is some thing new. I know that in US, many police units use "civilian looking" cars for running the radar *. For them most of the vehicles used would be the ones which they seize during drug raids etc. Again the idea is simple, that speed cameras mounted on the post is fixed and people (regular users) would soon know their locations by heart. If police/MVD official vehicles are used, it acts as a deterrence, but soon the surprise factor gets lost. So using unmarked vehicles covers all the above points. It can pop up any where, and no one will know it was there as well . So a speeder would have to be extra-extra cautious, look for camera locations, then for marked MVD/police vehicles, and now also "suspicious vehicles parked on the road side" . Finally he will find out speeding to be a stressful business.

* In the US, many of these unmarked police vehicles are identified by a simple thing. The number of antennas which is there on the car. Where as a normal civilian car may have just one (for FM/AM radio), the police vehicles would have 2 or 3 (for the various wireless sets they have inside).
Old 24th April 2015, 12:54   #8514
BHPian

On the upcoming long weekend, I'm planning to see the Kerala backwaters. So, now all my fellow Keralite friends, please suggest which is the best destination to go for? How would the drive from Bangalore be? What would be the best drive timings and stay options - House Boats or Resorts or Hotels?

Looking forward to hear from you all!

Regards
Saurav
Old 24th April 2015, 13:01   #8515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
On the upcoming long weekend, I'm planning to see the Kerala backwaters. So, now all my fellow Keralite friends, please suggest which is the best destination to go for? How would the drive from Bangalore be? What would be the best drive timings and stay options - House Boats or Resorts or Hotels?

Regards
Saurav
How about Alleppey. It is famous for back waters. I would suggest you to look out for boat house.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 13:08   #8516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards
Saurav
House boat stay in Alleppey backwaters and Munnar preferred in any itinerary.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 13:37   #8517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
How about Alleppey. It is famous for back waters. I would suggest you to look out for boat house.
Quote:
House boat stay in Alleppey backwaters and Munnar preferred in any itinerary.
Thanks for your response guys.

Even i was planning for Alleppy. The next more important question is the route to take and what should be a good start time from Bangalore.
Old 24th April 2015, 13:56   #8518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Even i was planning for Alleppy. The next more important question is the route to take and what should be a good start time from Bangalore.
The best route would be via NH7 and NH47 . In case you wish to avoid tolls and enjoy driving on SH, you can try the Hosur-Rayakottai road, Omalur-Tharamangalam-Sankagiri road.
Early morning (say 5 AM) start would be ideal as you will avoid bangalore traffic. Plus the weather will be relatively cool.
Old 24th April 2015, 16:18   #8519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If you are not familiar with pollachi route, it's better to take NH-7 and NH-47. It's good all the way except coimbatore - walayar. 4 lane work going on between Palghat - vadakkanchery but it's pretty good. If you are not planning to stop over at Cochin, it's better to avoid cochin metro route by taking seaport-airport road and join vytilla. Start at 5 and the journey will be comfortable and as for tolls, there are 10 tolls till Alleppey with a trail toll happening after walayar.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 16:58   #8520
BHPian

Quote:
New cameras are being installed between Kariyad and Athani (Both sides). This one is fixed on a bar across the road and looks like an interceptor type speed radar.
Todays (26th April)Malayalam Newspaper Mathrubhumi reports that 94 cameras are being installed in the Trichur-Manjeswaram sections. Of these except the 21 in Trichur district and one in Kannur, the others in the northern Districts of Kazargodu, Kannur , Kozhikode and Malappuram are already functioning.

http://www.mathrubhumi.com/story.php?id=540839

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks