Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2015, 15:24   #8611
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Krish View Post
I am still concerned on which route to take back to bangalore from calicut. Any suggestions bhpians? I drive a VW Polo GT TDI. Can't take the bad roads like an SUV :(
The best route would be Calicut-Kalpetta-Manathavady-Kattikulam-Bavalli-Handpost-Mysore-Bangalore (This also passes through the Nagarhole forest but does not touch Kutta). Referred to as SH-33 in Google Maps.

Another option is to go via Bathery-Gundlepet-CHamrajnagar-T.Narsipura-Talakkad-Malavalli-Kanakpura-Bangalore. Great roads and less traffic. But not a family friendly route as there are very few places for a break.

The Bangalore-Calicut thread will have a lot more details.
Old 25th May 2015, 17:53   #8612
BHPian

Thank you Rajeevraj! I may be alone or with one other passenger. Trying to travel during broad daylight so I think the second option is what I would prefer. I did like the drive once long back when I chose that one. Have a doubt if there is some bridgework going on there presently? I should check Bangalore Calicut thread too I guess.
Old 25th May 2015, 20:08   #8613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am in the midst of a kerala trip from bangalore. Bangalore - Nagerhol wildlife park - Kutta - Calicut was the route. Decided to take this since I hated the Mysore road from Mysore to Gundlpet :banghead: and was hoping to see some wildlife as well. Saw some deer and a few wild boars (?)

Points to be noted:
Gates to Nagerhol sanct remain closed from 2100-0600.

I am still concerned on which route to take back to bangalore from calicut. Any suggestions bhpians? I drive a VW Polo GT TDI. Can't take the bad roads like an SUV :(
Roads on Mysore-Nagarhole-Bavali-Mananthavady route is in very good condition.
The sanctuary gates are closed from 1800 to 0600 not 2100 on either routes.

You could come back via Kalpetta(bypass)-Mananthavady-Bavali-HD kote-Mysore. make sure you cross the forest gate after bavali before 5.30 PM
Old 26th May 2015, 10:17   #8614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Rajeevraj! I may be alone or with one other passenger. Trying to travel during broad daylight so I think the second option is what I would prefer. I did like the drive once long back when I chose that one. Have a doubt if there is some bridgework going on there presently? I should check Bangalore Calicut thread too I guess.
The route mentioned bypasses the bridge work. It is the standard alternative route since the bridge work started. Google also now directs through this route.
Old 26th May 2015, 10:57   #8615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Roads on Mysore-Nagarhole-Bavali-Mananthavady route is in very good condition.
The sanctuary gates are closed from 1800 to 0600 not 2100 on either routes.

You could come back via Kalpetta(bypass)-Mananthavady-Bavali-HD kote-Mysore. make sure you cross the forest gate after bavali before 5.30 PM
After a drive on a rainy day through the Gundlupet-Chamarajanagar-Talakad-Malavalli route in the beginning of May (when the under construction stretches were very slushy) I had switched to the Bavali route temporarily. But 2 trips on the Bangalore-Mysore SH17 was enough to convince me that the Malavalli route is the better of the two devils !!

Roadwork is still on for about 5-6 kms in the Gundlupet-Forest entrance section, and then another 3-4 kms on the Chamarajanagar-T.Narsipur section (only on NH212 section closer to T.Narsipur). Road conditions aren't all that great on those diversions, but still better than the 3 hour torture of SH17 especially if you aren't travelling in the wee hours or late at night.

The collapsible barriers that have replaced the humps on SH17 are turning out to be huge traffic bottlenecks, and the normally unruly traffic on that road is becoming even more so with a lot of them trying to squeeze in to non-existent spaces in those traffic blocks - a royal pain in the butt.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 11:06   #8616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Malavalli route is the better of the two devils !!

Roadwork is still on for about 5-6 kms in the Gundlupet-Forest entrance
Any update on the bridge work in NH 209 and when the road will be opened?
Old 26th May 2015, 11:14   #8617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Came to know from Jungle lodges in-charge for K- Gudi (BR Hills) that bridge is planned to be opened by 28th of next month.

I had stopped near the bridge last weekend, they are just repairing the existing bridge. As of now only pillars and side railings are present. They have taken out the entire span of the bridge and are putting down iron mesh before pouring in concrete. Hope if not by next month end may be in couple of months bridge will be done factoring in the monsoon season.

Will post the pics and other route updates by evening.
mpksuhas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 11:17   #8618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Came to know from Jungle lodges in-charge for K- Gudi (BR Hills) that bridge is planned to be opened by 28th of next month.

I had stopped near the bridge last weekend, they are just repairing the existing bridge. As of now only pillars and side railings are present. They have taken out the entire span of the bridge and are putting down iron mesh before pouring in concrete. Hope if not by next month end may be in couple of months bridge will be done factoring in the monsoon season.

Will post the pics and other route updates by evening.
Any chance of the bridge getting widened?
Old 26th May 2015, 11:18   #8619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No direct information, but a friend who ended up at the bridge a week ago without knowing about the closure said the entry was still banned, and that he saw a few earth moving equipment stationed at that point blocking the road. He didn't go further to investigate how much the work has progressed, but the presence of equipment there would mean that some work must definitely be ongoing - which is encouraging.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 11:33   #8620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any chance of the bridge getting widened?
No. Unfortunately width remains the same. The same goes for NH 212 also, I was of the impression that it was converted to 4 lane. From the sections were work is completed it looks just a widened 2 lane road.
mpksuhas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 12:22   #8621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgginish View Post
According to Mathrubhumi daily, toll collection will start at Walayar from tomorrow, 22nd May. One way charge for car is Rs. 45 and for return trip, its 70.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
As I expected - they had to stop toll collection at Walayar within hours of starting it.
I crossed to Kerala on 22nd night and I was expecting this toll, and was pleasantly surprised to see open gates. While coming back yesterday, the toll booth employees were busy writing down the details of each vehicle passing through the single lane. Perhaps to document the "losses" that they are incurring.

On Friday I started by 3PM from Bangalore and there were horrible traffic jams at Attibelle, Krishnagiri toll booths. Lost 15-20 minutes each. Took the Omalur-Sankari detour and I am sure would have saved time at the two toll booths that got skipped. It was a breeze after Sankari, only to be bogged down at Kuthiran and inside Kochi due to the Metro work. Reached home at 11:30PM.

While coming back I took the Sankari-Omalur detour as well as the Palacode-Rayakkotai-Kedamangalam-Attibelle route. The Kedamangalam route is excellent throughout except for a few rough stretches, which is manageable. Started at 7:30AM from N Paravur and reached E.City at 4:30PM. Had a relaxed drive, skipped 4 tolls and got a better FE.
bejoy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 15:58   #8622
BHPian

We returned from a Kerala road trip last Monday. Last road trip we made to Kerala was during April, 2014. I'm very pleasantly surprised at the way the roads have turned around between Trichur and Walayar. Roughly 50 kms of road from Walayar have been converted to four lane, with proper marking, lighting, bus bays, bus shelters, and turn lanes. It's great to see such a dramatic change. From the Kerala I know, I was of the feeling that the four laning work will take some real good time to show good results. But, this was a real pleasant surprise. Thanks to NHAI and the contractors for the great job.

One thing which has to improve is the awareness of the people who live around the highways and who use the roads. If you're not very careful, you'll be in for unpleasant surprises like, somebody getting onto the road with a very slow moving vehicle and sticking to the speed lane, people crossing the straight stretch of the highway in a careless jolly mood and in no hurry. They don't realize vehicles come very fast on good roads and how dangerous such actions could be to them and to the people in those vehicles.

Regards
Rex

Last edited by rex_varghese : 28th May 2015 at 16:09.
Old 28th May 2015, 18:54   #8623
BHPian

I am driving to Nileshwaram tomorrow with family, please let me know the best route From Bangalore. Hows the road condition? Google map shows me the best route as Bangalore-Hunsur-Madikeri-Irrity-Nileshwaram. Has anybody travelled on this route recently? Thanks in advance.
Old 28th May 2015, 19:21   #8624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post

One thing which has to improve is the awareness of the people who live around the highways and who use the roads. If you're not very careful, you'll be in for unpleasant surprises like, somebody getting onto the road with a very slow moving vehicle and sticking to the speed lane, people crossing the straight stretch of the highway in a careless jolly mood and in no hurry.

Regards
Rex
Invariably during night time, one has to drive with headlights on bright, otherwise you cannot see the cycles or pedestrians. it is more dangerous during dusk hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Hi all am going to Athirapalli from Coimbatore tomorrow. The next day will be driving to kumarakom and the day after will be back to Coimbatore via Cochin. How are the roads in these sections? I'll be driving a XUV with RE70 films. Will that be a problem once am inside Kerala?
The Kerala police were more or less successful in their drive to get rid of dark films and hence have stopped that drive. But they may be happy to come across a prey once in a while. It is better to be careful around Cochin are, especially on highways during day time..

Last edited by aah78 : 29th May 2015 at 01:15. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when replying to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 28th May 2015, 22:15   #8625
Senior - BHPian

There's an accident in the L&T bypass after the first toll booth(Tipu Sultan travels bus and a NP truck). Then there was another block and as i neared the spot it was a marriage hall's entry/exit that is holding up traffic!

Palladam road(more marriage halls) were was not free either. Seems the entire India's demographic dividend is getting married.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks