Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2015, 10:59   #8776
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Friends, need a help!

Planning to go to Parambikkulam via Nenmara, Kollengode, Vettaikkaranpudur. Google maps shows 2 routes, i.e., one via Chammanampathy and another via Ambarampalayam, the latter being a bit lengthy.

Which one should I choose? The only consideration is good roads.

Thanks.
The route via Chammanampathy is good, though not a highway. This will also help avoid Anamalai town area. Drive will be through a bit of lonely countryside
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:33   #8777
Senior - BHPian

Any very recent update on the condition of the Tirur-Ernakulam NH17 via Ponnani-Kodungallur-N.Paravur-Container road-high court? Will be driving on this stretch this Sunday.
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:39   #8778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
The route via Chammanampathy is good, though not a highway. This will also help avoid Anamalai town area. Drive will be through a bit of lonely countryside
Hi Praveen: If I am not wrong, you commute to work daily from palakkad to coimbatore. Can you please tell something about the road condition of the Walayar - Madukkarai stretch. The last update that I got was the road has gone from bad to worse. I have no clue about the recent conditions. Planning for a KL home visit may be in the first week of August 2015.

Thanks!
Old 23rd July 2015, 11:55   #8779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Can you please tell something about the road condition of the Walayar - Madukkarai stretch. The last update that I got was the road has gone from bad to worse.
The stretch remains worse! But nothing unmanageable. Work is going on and there are a few small stretches (lanes) that have been tarred.

Be very careful while overtaking at a few stretches particularly after KK chavadi towards Palakkad and also near Walayar - you have huge axle breaking craters right in the middle of the road

Quote:
Hi Praveen: If I am not wrong, you commute to work daily from palakkad to coimbatore.
You are right - but how did you know being a newbie?
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:03   #8780
BHPian

Quote:
The stretch remains worse! But nothing unmanageable. Work is going on and there are a few small stretches (lanes) that have been tarred.

Be very careful while overtaking at a few stretches particularly after KK chavadi towards Palakkad and also near Walayar - you have huge axle breaking craters right in the middle of the road

.. I used to watch and search this forum for all car related queries. Many times I attempted for registration here but I was rejected and recently I got the membership.
I know you are from palakkad (relocated as you like the forest..etc). All these information from: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...ad-kerala.html

I have also read your travelogue to Nelliampathy .
I am also from Palakkad but working in Coimbatore just like you. I was wondering how you commute daily from PLK to CBE.
deemash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:23   #8781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How is the speed of work. What I could understand is that the new route bypasses some towns and it's not the same route that is being widened. Is it true?
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:31   #8782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
How is the speed of work. What I could understand is that the new route bypasses some towns and it's not the same route that is being widened. Is it true?
Only 1 bypass is planned at KG Chavadi. It is a small town. The bypass starts at Ettimadai and ends after the KG Chavadi town.
Major part of the work is concentrated in this part as of now.
They have started tarring at some parts by diverting the traffic thru newly laid service roads. There are 4 flyovers planned and work has started around these flyovers. There is lot of dust and smoke on this road as of now and sometimes crawling traffic.
To cross the 12km Madukkarai - Walayar stretch it takes approx 25 to 30 minutes.

With the recent rains I thought they will stop the work but (un)fortunately the rain stopped and work resumed. However, the pace of the work is too slow. One of the RTO checkpost they have shifted and other one near Walayar is yet to shift. No work is happening at Walayar near border as Praveen told above and we have huge potholes in that area. It's a risky attempt to drive with KSRTC/TNSTC buses attempting to overtake all small vehicles.

The deadline is to finish the complete work by end of December.
deemash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 12:36   #8783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
As per news reports the targeted completion date is December this year. But I don't see that happening. The Flyover at Madukkarai itself would take another 8 months at least for completion. Then they have another yet-to-start bridge work at Navakkarai. The Flyover at chavadi is also there.

Work is going on - but not as fast as that of KNRCL's Walayar-Wadakkenchery section.

And there are no towns to bypass in this section. It bypasses Chavadi - but that has been the alignment from the beginning. No changes

@deemash : I commute by train/car/bus as per my state of mind on the previous night
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 14:46   #8784
BHPian

Guys,

Need help on route info from Bangalore to alleppey. I'm planning to start by 4AM in the morning, so please let me know some decent place for breakfast around 8-9AM. And another one at around 11-12pm. Travelling with wife and kids so need stops with decent toilets for loo breaks.

Also, I'm planning 3N/4D stay at alleppey, so pls let me know what are the must visit places in and around alleppey.

Regards
SE
Old 24th July 2015, 14:49   #8785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
Need help on route info from Bangalore to alleppey. I'm planning to start by 4AM in the morning, so please let me know some decent place for breakfast around 8-9AM.
You can try the Saravana Bhavan at Vaikuntam, which is around 15-18 kms beyond Salem city towards Coimbatore. It has a large parking lot, umpteen number of clean toilets and the food quality is consistent and good.

Quote:
And another one at around 11-12pm. Travelling with wife and kids so need stops with decent toilets for loo breaks.
You would be in Kerala state by this time. There is "Hotel Malabar", a few kilometers after Walayar check post. Then there are also a couple of hotels (including KFC and McD) at Chandra Nagar byepass at Palghat/Palakkad.
Old 24th July 2015, 15:48   #8786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
You can try the Saravana Bhavan at Vaikuntam, which is around 15-18 kms beyond Salem city towards Coimbatore. It has a large parking lot, umpteen number of clean toilets and the food quality is consistent and good.

You would be in Kerala state by this time. There is "Hotel Malabar", a few kilometers after Walayar check post. Then there are also a couple of hotels (including KFC and McD) at Chandra Nagar byepass at Palghat/Palakkad.
Thanks, this for sure will help. I see that google shows two parallel roads from Salem to Alleppey. Not sure which one should I take. The default one is okay?
Old 24th July 2015, 16:15   #8787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, this for sure will help. I see that google shows two parallel roads from Salem to Alleppey. Not sure which one should I take. The default one is okay?
The main route from Bangalore to Alleppey via salem are full-fledged tolled highways. From Bangalore till Kochi (in Kerala), you should be on these kind of highways only. So I don't know which parrallel roads you mean. May be google is showing to parallel roads to depict a four lane, tolled highway?
Old 24th July 2015, 16:20   #8788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Also, I'm planning 3N/4D stay at alleppey, so pls let me know what are the must visit places in and around alleppey.

Regards
SE
Not sure about a 4 day stay at Alleppey - the kids may get bored. Not much to see or do apart from the backwaters for which one day (and night, if you prefer) is enough

Quote:
Then there are also a couple of hotels (including KFC and McD) at Chandra Nagar byepass at Palghat/Palakkad.
If you want to reach KFC/McD/Sre Aryas - Do not take the flyover at Pollachi road junction. Instead take the service road
Old 24th July 2015, 16:31   #8789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about a 4 day stay at Alleppey - the kids may get bored. Not much to see or do apart from the backwaters for which one day (and night, if you prefer) is enough
I tend to agree with you. 4 Day stay in Alleppey alone would be an over-kill. Other than the backwaters there is nothing much out there. Perhaps the trip can be clubbed with a hill station like Munnar or Thekkady.
Old 24th July 2015, 16:32   #8790
BHPian

Quote:
The main route from Bangalore to Alleppey via salem are full-fledged tolled highways. From Bangalore till Kochi (in Kerala), you should be on these kind of highways only. So I don't know which parrallel roads you mean. May be google is showing to parallel roads to depict a four lane, tolled highway?
In pics below, blue line is going in parallel with grey one in google map.
Attached Images

Last edited by speed_edge : 24th July 2015 at 16:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks