Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2015, 15:31   #8806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
At Walayar, lane towards Palakkad gets blocked due to trucks parking so take opposite lane as we used to do during earlier days (Now its four lane, be careful!)
This is really pathetic. There is no sign board or a warning that vehicles ply in both directions at Walayar. I have seen many cars sticking to the left-side lanes towards palakkad and they stuck behind some lorries. By the time you realize your mistake, your lane will be filled with lorries. You cannot reverse as well or come out of it until the lorry traffic is cleared.

Since people go on wrong right-side lanes I have seen 2-3 accidents (a tipper lorry and an Alto collided). People from far away may not know vehicles come in wrong lanes as there is no warning. So please be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
mallumowgli ette, we have one more guy to have a meet, the next time I'm around ;-)
Sure! Let me know when you come down from Utopia . We will meet.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th July 2015 at 21:54. Reason: Posts merged. Please use MULTI-QUOTE/QUOTE+ when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
deemash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 18:13   #8807
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
.... There is no sign board or a warning that vehicles ply in both directions at Walayar....l.
In fact, there is a "Compulsory Left" sign while coming from Coimbatore and you may end up in the queue if you follow rule. Better, ignore this sign and change to right lane and drive very carefully. Other than this, Walayar is perfectly alright.
coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 20:13   #8808
BHPian

Quick update from my recent trip to Edappally from Bangalore

Bangalore - Edappally: 24th July 2015
Route: Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Coimbatore-Walayar-Palakkad (bypass)-Thrissur-Edappally
Start time: 5:30 AM
Reached Edappally at 2:15 PM
Comments:
  • I've been taking the Pollachi route for a while now so was delighted by the Chengappally - Coimbatore section.
  • L&T bypass at Coimbatore will soon be the main bottleneck on this route since it is way too inadequate for the traffic density. Though the surface is good, repeated stoppages at toll gates and traffic doesn't make it fun to drive.
  • After L&T bypass up to Walayar is patchy with a few craters that are manageable. I hadn't read about the lane confusion at Walayar in this thread before the trip so kept to the left lane but didn't face any hold up. Got lucky I guess.
  • Walayar - Vadakkenchery stretch is 4-lane except for a few KM at the start of Palakkad bypass and very nice to drive on. No cameras yet on the stretch from Walayar till Vadakkencherry so you can drive at your pace but watch out for interceptors.
  • Vadakkencherry - Mannuthi through Kuthiran had fairly heavy traffic, rash local traffic, a few serious craters and several moderate ones. So a stretch to watch out for. Had several hold ups on this stretch to negotiate the craters.
  • Aluva - Edappally stretch is also tricky with traffic, metro work and decent sized potholes. Faced some hold ups.

Edappally - Bangalore: 29th July 2015
Route: Same route as onward journey
Start time: 5:00 AM
Reached home at 1:30 PM
Comments:
  • Edappally - Aluva: Metro work is in full gear during night (till 6 AM) with several traffic diversions and blockages. Got held up in this stretch for around 45 minutes which is otherwise a 15 - 20 minute stretch at that time. It is better to avoid the stretch and take the slightly longer one through Edayar joining the highway at Paravur kavala (as is known locally).
  • Mannuthi - Vadakkencherry: Had only light to moderate traffic.
  • L&T bypass at Coimbatore: Pain repeated.
  • From thereon it was a pleasant and quick drive back.
Mnjdnght is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 14:42   #8809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
In fact, there is a "Compulsory Left" sign while coming from Coimbatore and you may end up in the queue if you follow rule. Better, ignore this sign and change to right lane and drive very carefully. Other than this, Walayar is perfectly alright.
Hi coolclouds, i will be doing BLR-Kochi in Sept, but will take NH47 only in return route to Bangalore. In that case will this lane problem be there? I understand from previous discussions, that this problem is only for people who travel onward from Blr to Kochi. So for Walayar-Coimbatore I need not change any lane and will keep to the left, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
Quick update from my recent trip to Edappally from Bangalore
....[*]I've been taking the Pollachi route for a while now so was delighted by the Chengappally - Coimbatore section.
@ Mnjdnght, how is this road compared to the Coimbatore road? I.e. if i take Kochi-Polachi-Dharapuram-Karur and NH 7 thereon?
Old 30th July 2015, 15:14   #8810
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
how is this road compared to the Coimbatore road? I.e. if i take Kochi-Polachi-Dharapuram-Karur and NH 7 thereon?
If you wish to take Pollachi route, no need to go to Dharapuram and Karur.
Do this:
Kochi-Vadakkencherry on NH47-turn right at the Mangalam bridge (over the Mangalam River), then Nenmara-Kollengode-Meenakshipuram-Pollachi-Palladam-Mangalam-turn right onto NH 47 at Avinashi bypass-Salem-NH 7 all the way to Bangalore via Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri-Hosur.
Excellent roads, 2 laned from Vadakkencherry to Avinashi bypass but great condition.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 16:31   #8811
BHPian

Quote:
@ Mnjdnght, how is this road compared to the Coimbatore road? I.e. if i take Kochi-Polachi-Dharapuram-Karur and NH 7 thereon?
The route mentioned by NPV is the alternate route via Pollachi that I used to take before to avoid NH47 issues between Chengappally - Thrissur (road-work-inprogress/ traffic/ broken roads etc.)

Now having taken the regular NH47, I am inclined to prefer this over the Pollachi detour. Only about 20 KMs of Walayar - Marapalayam (start of L&T bypass) section is the factor to be considered. The Vadakkencherry - Thrissur section is common for both routes since 4 lane section of Vadakkencherry - Walayar section starts just (maybe a KM or two) after the turn off to Pollachi.

The problems written about Walayar as mentioned in this thread applies while coming from Coimbatore side. But overall Walayar woes may have dependency on time.

NH47 scores high on availability of stopping options while travelling with family which are relatively lesser on the Pollachi route.

Pollachi route trumps over NH47 in terms of scenic value. For all other reasons, my pick now would be NH47.
Mnjdnght is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 19:11   #8812
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

pollachi route v/s NH47

points against NH47 earlier:
1) chengapally - L&T strech filled with suspension breaking humps/bumps - crawl in 1st/2nd over them.
2) madukkarai to walayar is a pain
3) walayar to vadakkanchery 2L
4) vadakkanchery to mannuthi 2L

points against NH47 now :
only 2) and 4) remain now, each slightly worse than before.

Hence, for faster travel, still prefer NH47
Old 31st July 2015, 09:43   #8813
Senior - BHPian

Some road updates in Central Kerala:
Did a round trip from Tirur to Kumarakom via Mannarashala.Details below.
Tirur(vattathani)- BP Angadi- Chamravattom bridge-Ponnani: Good roads but few very bad potholes near Tirur town. a couple of them are very bad. Again, bad stretch of a few meters near Chamravattom bridge.

Ponnani-Chavakkad: Excellent roads, wide enough at most places. No damage to the surface yet.

Chavakkad-Kodungallur: Good roads, but very narrow at many stretches.
Kodungallur bypass: Good condition, 4 laned, but dotted with many intersection with signals.

Bypass end -N Paravur-Varapuzha : Good road surface, but very narrow at most stretches. On weekdays, this stretch could take a lot of time. Toll of 5 rs (one side) on varapuzha bridge still being levied. No other tolls.

Container road-Kochi (Kaloor) via Goshree bridge- High court - Kacheripady: The contained road is very scenic, fully 4 laned. Toll plaza construction is underway. as of now, no tolls. The expansion joints are very bumpy in all the flyovers in the stretch. Will really get a big jolt if you do high speeds on this stretch. Be very careful!

Kochi(kaloor) - Cherthala- Alapuzha - Mannarashala temple (formerly NH 47, now 66) : Excellent 4 laned roads with toll at Aroor (Rs 15 one side). Few signals with cameras. There are few rough patches around Alapuzha. Crossing Alapuzha town was a real pain and took lot of time. After Alapuzha, road is top notch up till Haripad.

Harippad (Mannarashala temple)- Alapuzha - AC road - Changanasherry-Kottayam-Kumarakom: Excellent upto Changanasherry. AC road is very scenic. I had done this road a few years ago, and the road condition is same as it was then - Good. Found plenty of seemingly good (from outside) eateries on this road.

Changanasherry- Kottayam is undergoing widening and is not in good condition with diversions and rough patches all the way. Crossing Kottayam town was easy. Kottayam- Kumarakom, road is narrow but excellent.

Kumarakom-Cherthala: excellent for a few kms, then on rough. Some giant potholes near Thannermukkam bund.

Cherthala-Edapally-Aluva-Angamaly-Thrissur town: Metro work hampers smooth movement til Aluva, then on road is good, but as many know here already, plenty of intersections with signals and speed cameras. The speed limit is 90 kmph but I rarely crossed 80-85 kmph on this stretch.

Trichur-Kecheri-Kunnamkulam bypass via akathiyoor: Excellent roads upto Kecheri. 4 laned at most places. We had evening tea from Aryas, near the shobha city. Neat hotel but needs bigger restrooms. Kunnamkulam bypass is decent- road is wide, is little uneven and has a few bad patches but still pretty much doable. Traffic was also light. This road joins the Thrissur-Kuttipuram road a couple of kms before Perumpilavu.

Perumpilvu-Edappal-Kuttipuram-Thirunavaya-Tirur: Excellent wide roads but plenty of speed cameras. Speed limit is 80 kmph. A couple of giant potholes near Kuttipuram bridge.
Tirur-Kuttipuram has few surprise potholes.

Google maps link: http://bit.ly/1MALisZ

Total distance covered was 552 kms according to car odometer.
Thanks for reading. Any further info, I will be more than happy to clarify.
sandsun7 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 18:15   #8814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... return route to Bangalore. In that case will this lane problem be there?...
No lane change/confusion while going towards Coimbatore
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:24   #8815
M35
BHPian

Update: Mysore - Bandipur - Nilambur -Kongad/Palakkad

Was driving back to Palakkad from Hyderabad the other day. Thought of taking a break at Mysore and then proceed via Bandipur for a change.
  • Mysore-Nanjangud – Gundalpet
The ongoing road work meant multiple diversions + rough patches + bumpy ride = No fun to drive at all
  • Gundalpet- Bandipur [ Karnataka section]
Absolute beauty, both the road surface and the scenic beauty
  • Bandipur [Tamilnadu section] – Gudallur
In absolute shambles, especially beyond Masinagudi/Ooty cross; No road and totally undriveable. Cursed myself for not taking the Masinagudi-ooty-Coimbatore-Palakkad instead.
  • Gudallur – Nadukani-Nilambur
Good roads which get excellent after the Kerala border. Twisty but less traffic.
  • Nilambur- Vandoor-Pandikkad-Alanallur-Mannarkad-Kongad/Palakkad
Great surface all the way and fun to drive in spite of having to negotiate multiple small town traffic.

Last edited by M35 : 2nd August 2015 at 08:25.
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 09:23   #8816
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Update: Mysore - Bandipur - Nilambur -Kongad/Palakkad
And sorry for not suggesting this:

Hyd - Devanahalli - Doddadballapur - Nelamangala - Neligere - Srirangapatna - Bannur - T Narasipur - Muguru - Chamarajanagar - CBE - Palakkad

Awesome roads in most cases. And for a break you may have to goto Mysore. But other wise this avoids both Mysore and Bangalore.
Old 4th August 2015, 20:39   #8817
BHPian

Mysore to Nileshwar

Hi,

Which is the best route to Nileshwar from Mysore?

Based on a few threads there seem to be three options:

1. Mysore-Madikeri-Bhagamandala-Panathur-Kanhangad-Nileshwar
(Passing thru the exciting narrow forest b/w Bhagamandala-Panathur)

2. Mysore-Gonikoppa-Thaliparamba-Payyanur-Nileshwar

3. Mysore-Madikeri-Sullia-Cherkala-Nileshwar

Would be driving a Honda City.

Also, has anyone done the 24hr or half day houseboat cruise in Bekal? What was your experience.

Thanks,

Prasad
Old 4th August 2015, 22:03   #8818
Senior - BHPian

Latest update on the stretch between Palakkad and Avinashi:

Chandranagar flyover - the left most lane leads to Palakkad town (if you turn left) or to Koottupatha junction (on turning right) to proceed to Pollachi SH

All Roads to Kerala-20150802_141415_chandranagar_flyover.jpg

View from the top of Chandranagar flyover. The lane towards Thrissur from CBE side can be seen going at ground level

All Roads to Kerala-20150802_141515_chandranagar_flyover.jpg

Walayar Toll booth

All Roads to Kerala-20150802_142442_walayar_toll.jpg

Walayar Border. You can feel it the moment you are out of KL territory. Fortunately, this is the roughest patch between Walayar and Madukkarai

All Roads to Kerala-20150802_143139_walayar_border.jpg

Construction galore soon after the border area. The diversions have a decent surface

All Roads to Kerala-20150802_143439_construction_in_progress.jpg

Ettimadai, where a flyover construction is in progress

All Roads to Kerala-20150802_145125_ettimadai.jpg

As soon as you're done with the L&T bypass mess at Neelambur, you're greeted with this:

All Roads to Kerala-20150802_152617_neelamburnh.jpg

Somewhere near Avinashi. All the back-breaker humps are properly smoothened

All Roads to Kerala-20150802_153308_nh47.jpg
silversteed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 10:09   #8819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Latest update on the stretch between Palakkad and Avinashi:
How is the progress of the work between Walayar and Madukkarai? The current road seems to be patched up. Also, is the flyover after Coimbatore bypass while going towards Avinashi done?
Old 5th August 2015, 11:07   #8820
BHPian

conoor to thrissur

Guys, I'm planning a trip to Conoor next week, after spending a few days there, I'll be driving down to Thrissur. I need help in deciding the route; my current options are :

(1) Conoor-Metupalayam-Karamadai-Anaikatti-Kottathara-Mannarkkad-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Thrissur
(2) Conoor-Ooty-Nadugani-Edakkara-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Thrissur
(3) Conoor-Metupalayam-Annur-Karumathampatti-NH47-Thrissur (The old tried and tested route)

Time taken isn't an issue for me but, I'll be driving down in my Polo with my family (includes my 2yr old daughter and my pet dog) so I cant get too adventurous as well ( that's why I didn't mention the Manjoor-Mulli route )

Any feedback and road conditions would be appreciated

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks