Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2015, 15:18   #8911
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
2 palaghat, coimbatore, salem
This roads are good on this route except for few diversions on the Palakkad-Alathur-Vadakkencherry stretch and some rough sections between L&T Coimbatore bypass and Walayar. And it is excellent all the way from Salem to L&T coimbatore bypass, Chennai-Ulundurpet is also good, just a few diversions due to widening. In this route, NH47 can slow you down after Vadakkencherry (unless you choose a non-peak traffic time) so comparatively the Kumily route may be faster.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 15:39   #8912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I am planning to drive from Coimbatore to Kannur. I was thinking of the Palakkad-Malapurram-Kozhikode route
I second the suggestion from Rajeevraj. Mankara-Cherpulassery is decent, and saves you from the maniac private buses plying between Palakkad and Kozhikkode.

How's the condition of the Valanchery-Chelary route?

Quote:
palaghat, coimbatore, salem
Salem-CBE is excellent, until Neelambur. Neelambur-Madukkarai on the L&T bypass road is so-so. Madukkarai-Walayar is mostly work-in-progress. Walayar till Vadakkenchery is mostly 4-laned, with just a few under-construction stretches. Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy is in bad shape, with the Palakkad-Thrissur private buses making it all the more "exciting". This is the update from a friend who did Irinjalakkuda-Bangalore yesterday.
Old 14th September 2015, 15:56   #8913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
How's the condition of the Valanchery-Chelary route?
Road condition is very good. But the high traffic and mostly twisty road makes it a nightmare drive.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 16:23   #8914
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone taken the Hosur -Bagalore - Sarjapur road? Any changes to the entry to this route while coming from Salem after flyovers at Hosur are completed. Read in "On BYpassing Bangalore" thread that the Sarjapur bypass is done.
Old 14th September 2015, 17:42   #8915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Has anyone taken the Hosur -Bagalore - Sarjapur road?
I frequently use this route to bypass traffic/tolls latest being 2 weeks back. It is in good condition overall.

Sarjapur bypass is done. It's wide and very convenient (you dont have to drive through that narrow streets any more )

Also, all the flyovers from hosur side is done. you just need to take the service road of hosur bus stand flyover. Bagalur road is bang opposite to the bus stand.

Road condition:
Hosur-Bagalur-Sarjapur: very good roads.
Sarjapur- Varthur turn junction - Whitefield: some bad roads in between, with some nasty potholes but manageable.
Varthur turn Jn - ORR (via Sarjapur main road): Good roads.
nfsfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 18:36   #8916
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Folks!

I'm going to drive to Chennai from Thiruvalla

My two route options are:
1 kumliy, theni, dindugal
2 palaghat, coimbatore, salem

would like inputs on the condition of the roads. esp the Kumliy route.
good roads are my only concern.
When you are driving ? I will be taking the Chennai, Dindugal, Kottayam route by September last week (27 or 28th). I can update if you are planning after this.

Palaghat, Coimbatore, Chennai route is really in good condition except for a small stretch between Valayar and L&T by-pass but may have to travel 60-70 KM extra if you take this route.
Old 15th September 2015, 20:05   #8917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
When you are driving ?
Vinu, I leave later tonite (16th early morning) I'm going via Kumily. Heard that Kutticanam would be quite foggy!
Wwill update the road conditions here asap!
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
so comparatively the Kumily route may be faster.
Yes NPV
I'm taking that route also considering where I'm placed on the map, this is the most practical route especially because I can head to the KK road in 20mins from my place. I was concerned about the roads.
If I was driving solo (which it was when I started off) I would do Salem Erode Vellor etc!
But now my family is boarding so quickest options are priority!
Wwill update road conditions here!

Note from Support: Post edited. "esp", "coz"

Last edited by aah78 : 15th September 2015 at 23:47. Reason: Posts merged. Please use MULTI-QUOTE/QUOTE+. Post edited for grammar & spell-check.
Old 16th September 2015, 11:24   #8918
BANNED

Heard from the NHAI director (who handles Kuthiran section ) that the tentative date of completion is March 2017 including the tunnel. He also indicates that patch repairs have been done on the route in the last 4-5 days so the road is motorable. However folks who travel on that route often say the route is quite bad. Anyone been on this route in the last 4-5 days and if so what is the road condition ?
Old 16th September 2015, 23:11   #8919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Anyone been on this route in the last 4-5 days and if so what is the road condition ?
Had been on this route a day back and was travelling around 4 AM . It was raining heavily and was difficult , the roads were pretty bad and not visible due to rains and more over heavy vehicles from opposite direction will blind you .

Avoid night travel on this route
sandeep3in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 00:20   #8920
BHPian

Quote:
Vinu, I leave later tonite (16th early morning) I'm going via Kumily. Heard that Kutticanam would be quite foggy!
Wwill update the road conditions here asap!
Cheers!

Reached chennai safe and sound! Was a nice drive. Left at 3:30am from Thiruvalla. Got on the KK road via Tengana. Amazing roads all the way to kumily. There were 2 or 3 spots of road repairs on the way. We had no hold ups as it was that early. Kuttikkanam had heavy fog and needed extra caution. Crossed over to TN and the roads were overall brilliant but sadly every town section was bad. Some more worse than the other, the road till Dundigal has no divider, from Dundigal it's good road 4 lane all the way to chennai.

Trichy had some diversions to get to the bypass due to flyover construction. Due to the chennai bound traffic I avoided getting in through Tambaram and used the chennai bypass instead to get to Kilpauk. We reached the bypass by about 4:00pm. Which included 1.5hrs of stoppage time for breakfast and lunch. There are tolls from Dindugal but only happy to pay if the roads are good.

General opinion on road condition is that it's Good (7 on 10). With the exemption of every town sections being a drag!

Last edited by ampere : 17th September 2015 at 06:48. Reason: Formatted Post
Old 17th September 2015, 08:51   #8921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I am planning to drive from Coimbatore to Kannur. I was thinking of the Palakkad-Malapurram-Kozhikode route. Any pointers to a better road? The Anakatti-Mannarkad road was not that great the last time I gave it a try. Thank you!
Hope am not late in posting. An alternate you can consider is Palakkad-Mannarkad-Kumaranputhur-Pandikkad-Manjeri-Areekode-Mukkam-Tamarassery-Balussery-Koyilandy-Vadakara-Kannur

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/10...11.8744775!3e0

Road work was going on in the Areekode-Mukkam stretch, when I took this road just before Onam. But heard that this has been completed and the stretch is good.

The advantage is that you can totally avoid the traffic jam prone Perintalmanna-Angadippuram stretch and Ramanattukara-Eranhikkal bypass and also the Korapuzha bridge (Elathur) mess! Traffic is also considerably less with only smaller towns all the way till Koyilandy

Early morning start from Coimbatore will mean you will hit Ramanattukara at the peak hour - best avoided
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 10:42   #8922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
However folks who travel on that route often say the route is quite bad. Anyone been on this route in the last 4-5 days and if so what is the road condition ?
Travelled through this area few days back. Its better to use Shoranur-Palakkad stretch than Kuthiran. As the roads on both side became 4 lane, this short stretch now looks so congested and you have to drive like a convoy model for most of that part.
mykal shoemaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 12:01   #8923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Hope am not late in posting. An alternate you can consider is Palakkad-Mannarkad-Kumaranputhur-Pandikkad-Manjeri-Areekode-Mukkam-Tamarassery-Balussery-Koyilandy-Vadakara-Kannur

Road work was going on in the Areekode-Mukkam stretch, when I took this road just before Onam. But heard that this has been completed and the stretch is good.
My nephew who travelled that way (from Wayanad to Palghat) a couple of weeks ago reported that even the Mukkam-Thamarassery stretch wasn't too great. Not sure if that also was part of the area that had roadwork ongoing which you say has been completed now.
Old 18th September 2015, 16:00   #8924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyRider View Post
1. Most of the hotels in Dindigul are bit inside and you have to drive 4-5 KM one-side from the highway. You may try Hotel Parsons Court at Dindigul Town. I usually take an overnight stay @ Hotel Western Gatz ( 1300 Rs), Theni during my drive to Kerala.
2. There are some culvert constructions happening between Vatlagund (35 KM from Dindigul) and Lowercamp(10 KM before Kumily). Apart from that , Road condition is good. I did this route during August 26.

Hello,

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Kerala in October and would be taking the Dindigul-Theni-Kumbum-Kumily route. I am planning to stop-over at Kumily and stay overnight there. Is anybody here aware of any good/ reasonable/ safe-for-family hotels/ homestays in Kumily? My budget is around 1500/-. Have anybody tried this option?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Thanks,
Sunil.
Old 18th September 2015, 16:17   #8925
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
I am planning to stop-over at Kumily and stay overnight there. Is anybody here aware of any good/ reasonable/ safe-for-family hotels/ homestays in Kumily? My budget is around 1500/-. Have anybody tried this option?
If it's a stop over for the night, you may be better off staying at Theni - Western Gatz is a good place, but not sure about tariffs, you can check online.
The hotel is on the highway and you will not waste time going around.

I do not have an idea about home stays/hotels in Kumily.

Most Viewed