Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2015, 15:42   #8941
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyRider View Post
Planning for a trip to Pathanamthitta via Salem, Dindigul, Theni, Kumily. Anyone aware of the latest status of the culvert constructions between Vatlagundu and Lower camp?
Passed through that route a couple of weeks back. Except for some rough patches, it is OK. The culvert work is going on, but there is no obstruction.
reji22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 17:19   #8942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
Hello,
I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Kerala in October and would be taking the Dindigul-Theni-Kumbum-Kumily route. I am planning to stop-over at Kumily and stay overnight there. Is anybody here aware of any good/ reasonable/ safe-for-family hotels/ homestays in Kumily? My budget is around 1500/-. Have anybody tried this option?
Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Thanks,
Sunil.
Sunil, I jus did this route, roads in the town areas is terrible with pot holes and broken roads, which you wont complain about since the rest of the journey is a song. This bad patch is also only from Dindigul.
We stayed in Cumbum in a hotel after the Cumbum bus stand, where the main road takes a bend to the right, there is a small lane to the left and the hotel is there, I'm sorry I cant remember the name but it had safe parking and A/C rooms for about 1200/- my kids loved the place the bathrooms were clean and the place was safe for a family. we decided not to stay in kumily coz the rates were not realistic esp since we jus needed a bed for 6 hrs!
In my opinion the roads are good and we did chennai - thiruvalla is 12hrs with breakfast and lunch stops.
Pls update this thread in October after your drive, since i would be using this route again then.
Old 28th September 2015, 18:48   #8943
BANNED

Did the Kuthiran stretch a couple of days back. Points to keep in mind while traversing Kuthiran in its present state:

1. There are craters at certain places that have the potential to bend your wheel disc / crack your tyres if taken at speed.

2. Since the craters are at odd places after a stretch of okay road, you could be caught out in the potholes unawares. Keep a reasonably safe and slow speed throughout the sector even if the road is clear and appears to have no potholes / traffic.

3. Do not use this stretch during rains - use the Shoranur section.

4. Get a sweeper car driven reasonably sedately and follow him at a safe distance to (a) warn you of potholes and (b) safeguard against buses.

5. Use the section only during non peak hours or you could be caught in a convoy which can considerably slow you down.

With these precautions you can drive through Kuthiran in its present state.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 20:06   #8944
BHPian

Drove through Bangalore- Thirumangalam- Rajapalayam- Shengottai- Thenmala stretch last week. Road near Aryankavi-Thenmalai stretch is going back to potholes. Unless there are some repair works soon, it may get back to bad state due to the heavy rains at Kerala. Other stretches are good, but the NH 7 glory is deteriorating fast.
mykal shoemaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 10:54   #8945
Senior - BHPian

Planning for a Palani trip on 24th Oct from Kozhikode ( Chathamangalam to be precise) via the Palakkad - Pollachi - Palani route.

To reach palakkad, there are 2 options (Link)
1. Mukkam- Areekode - Manjeri - Pandikkad - Mannarkad - Palakkad
2. Kondotty - Perinthalmanna - Mannarkad - Palakkad

For a start of 4 AM, which road will be better? Any idea of the current road conditions?
Old 3rd October 2015, 11:16   #8946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post

For a start of 4 AM, which road will be better? Any idea of the current road conditions?
For 4 am start, Option 2 will be better without a doubt. You can reach Palakkad by 6:30-7:00 am. And don't take the Perintalmanna bypass - drive through the town. At 6 am roads will be free and the bypass is also not in a good condition

Option 1 - Not NH, wavy road, narrower and full of blind curves. Better option during peak time, since the traffic is relatively less
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 08:28   #8947
BHPian

Would someone have updates for this route, Pathanamthitta - Ranni - Erumely - Mundakkayam - Kuttikkanam - Nedumkandam - Udumbanchola - Chinnakkanal? Hows the road condition post monsoon.
Old 6th October 2015, 10:36   #8948
Senior - BHPian

There is a new speed camera/radar installed in Muvattupuzha-Thodupuzha road. It is located near Thekkummala Kavala, Kadalikkad. This is a straight stretch infamous for high speeds. There may be more radars being installed. The speed limit is 80 kilometers.
deepclutch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 18:55   #8949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Would someone have updates for this route, Pathanamthitta - Ranni - Erumely - Mundakkayam - Kuttikkanam - Nedumkandam - Udumbanchola - Chinnakkanal? Hows the road condition post monsoon.
I had done this route during August from Pathanamthitta till Nedumkandam. Roads are not so good, some potholes which can be manageable, will take time thanks to the ghat sections.
Old 8th October 2015, 15:38   #8950
BHPian

Folks, planning to hit Ashtamudi on Saturday morning. I would be starting at Friday night from Bangalore around 11 PM.

Is the below route best to take and how is the road condition.

BLR -> SALEM -> MADURAI -> TIRUNELVELI -> SHENGHOTTAI/CHENKOTTAI -> PUNALUR -> KOTTARAKKARA -> SASTHAMKOTTA -> ASHTAMUDI.
Old 8th October 2015, 16:24   #8951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Folks, planning to hit Ashtamudi on Saturday morning. I would be starting at Friday night from Bangalore around 11 PM.

Is the below route best to take and how is the road condition.

BLR -> SALEM -> MADURAI -> TIRUNELVELI -> SHENGHOTTAI/CHENKOTTAI -> PUNALUR -> KOTTARAKKARA -> SASTHAMKOTTA -> ASHTAMUDI.
I would suggest BLR->Salem->Thirumangalam->Chenkottai->Punalur->Kottarakkara->Kollam/Sasthamkotta->Ashtamudi

Take Kollam/Sasthamkotta depending on where your stay is and when you reach Kottarakkara. If its early morining or late night, take kollam route.

Per an earlier update, the stretch from Aryankavu to Punalur has developed potholes again, so drive safe and extra alert. Potholes in this stretch are known to be pretty bad.
Old 8th October 2015, 17:14   #8952
Senior - BHPian

Since the long week end is coming up (22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th Oct) was checking on a destination for one day outing. The outing trip has to start from Thrissur, and end at Thrissur. The trip, I am not expecting any thing really great or extra ordinary. It is just for a good leisure drive, plus one evening & night away from the hustle & bustle.

1. I did find a couple of lake side resorts in Varkala side. Google Maps shows a total distance of around 234kms and running time of 6hrs. Are these figures correct? Or would it take more time? For just a trip for around 24 hours max, around 12 hours is going on travel itself.
2. My next option was a hill station, Munnar was what came to my mind. Google shows a total distance of around 151kms and running time of 4hrs. Google is also showing an alternate route from Munnar to Thrissur via Kanthaloor, Chinnar, Udumalpet with distance of 203kms and running time of 4 hours again. This got me excited as this is one good "round trip" to take. But wanted to know the road condition (and general safety) on the Kanthaloor, Chinnar route as I am travelling as a family with a small girl.
3. Is Vagamon worth a visit (and stay for a night)?

Please share your thoughts, and if you have any other alternate locations/homestays etc do let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th October 2015, 18:14   #8953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Since the long week end is coming up (22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th Oct) was checking on a destination for one day outing. The outing trip has to start from Thrissur, and end at Thrissur. The trip, I am not expecting any thing really great or extra ordinary. It is just for a good leisure drive, plus one evening & night away from the hustle & bustle.

Thanks in advance.
How about a trip to valparai via athirapally falls and ( sholayar reserve forest and dam, I think?). Beautiful drive, easy access from thrissur and valparai is a good place to relax and do nothing. I personally am also thinking of a valparai trip.

There is a recent travelogue ( by bhpian jacs I think) which started from Cochin.
Old 8th October 2015, 20:12   #8954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
How about a trip to valparai via athirapally falls and ( sholayar reserve forest and dam, I think?). Beautiful drive, easy access from thrissur and valparai is a good place to relax and do nothing.
I have done that circuit twice. Once as part of a bachelor gang, and then with family as well. And that is why I was a bit interested to take the bigger circuit (via Munnar-Chinnar-Udumalpet etc.) .
Old 8th October 2015, 21:29   #8955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
3. Is Vagamon worth a visit (and stay for a night)?
Wagamon or Peerumedu is a good option if you love the hills. I am also planning this during the coming holidays.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed