Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2015, 09:45   #9091
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_SYZ View Post
A friend suggested Cochin > Thrissur > Valanchery > Manjeri > Areekode > Mukkam > Manathavadi. Doesn't know if this info will help you Naveen.

BTW, Does anybody have latest status about this route? All advises are welcome. My final destination is Nagarhole. I am looking for some scenic route. It's a holiday trip!
This seems to be a strange routing. From Valanchery, it would make more sense to continue on NH17 via Chelari-University-Ramanatukara-Calicut Byepass-Thamarassery-Adivaram-Kalpetta-Manthanvady-Nagarhole.

Even if you deviate via Manjeri from Valanchery, you still will join the above route back at Thamarassery (or close to Adivaram) and go via Kalpetta. There is no other way from Mukkam to Manathavady (atleast to my knowledge). Manjeri-Areekode-Mukkam-Thamarassery is relatively narrower and hence you will not see any time benefit. Don't think it is worth it.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 10:49   #9092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This seems to be a strange routing.
=======
Manjeri-Areekode-Mukkam-Thamarassery is relatively narrower and hence you will not see any time benefit. Don't think it is worth it.
Thanks, You should be right. I am totally ignorant about the route so I would have got it wrong . Have you driven suggested route recently? What is the condition of the road? Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:06   #9093
BHPian

Quote:
This seems to be a strange routing.
my two cents.
This route helps avoid the congested traffic while crossing through calicut. Though there is a bypass, the 3kms into the bypass and out of the bypass (after the signal till vellimadam kunnu) can be notorious.
second advantage - you avoid thamarassery completely and join near adivaram. During prayer times, the 2kms into and out of Thamarassery (near sanam mall) can get crowded as well.
FuelInjector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:33   #9094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
my two cents.
This route helps avoid the congested traffic while crossing through calicut. Though there is a bypass, the 3kms into the bypass and out of the bypass (after the signal till vellimadam kunnu) can be notorious.
second advantage - you avoid thamarassery completely and join near adivaram. During prayer times, the 2kms into and out of Thamarassery (near sanam mall) can get crowded as well.
Don't think either of these adequately compensate for the overall narrowness and traffic density of the route through Arekkode. Also does Manjeri town have a bypass now? In my opinion, all said and done, if you are in Kerala sticking the national highways is always better than searching for alternate routes via much smaller towns.

Second, if you are coming from NH 17 or NH 213 from the south and want to exit onto NH 212 towards the north, you don't go all the way till Malapparamba on the bypass because of the reason you mention. You exit the bypass at Thondayad towards Calicut Medical College and join NH 212 at Karanthur near Kunnamangalam.

Edit: I now realise that you are suggesting joining back on NH 212 at Adivaram and not at Thamarassery. That could be useful, but then one could exit NH 212 at Kunnamangalam towards REC (NIT) and join your suggested route at Mukkam.

Edit2: Looking at Google Maps, you can exit NH 212 at Koduvally and join it back at Adivaram to avoid Thamarassery. Seems a better option with not much extra driving to do. Only if you are worried about jams in Thamarassery.

Last edited by binand : 3rd December 2015 at 11:40.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 10:36   #9095
Senior - BHPian

Toll collection in national highways in Tamil Nadu suspended till Dec 11th.

Link
Old 4th December 2015, 13:03   #9096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_SYZ View Post
A friend suggested Cochin > Thrissur > Valanchery > Manjeri > Areekode > Mukkam > Manathavadi. Doesn't know if this info will help you Naveen.

BTW, Does anybody have latest status about this route? All advises are welcome. My final destination is Nagarhole. I am looking for some scenic route. It's a holiday trip!
Quote:
my two cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Edit: I now realise that you are suggesting joining back on NH 212 at Adivaram and not at Thamarassery. That could be useful, but then one could exit NH 212 at Kunnamangalam towards REC (NIT) and join your suggested route at Mukkam.

Edit2: Looking at Google Maps, you can exit NH 212 at Koduvally and join it back at Adivaram to avoid Thamarassery. Seems a better option with not much extra driving to do. Only if you are worried about jams in Thamarassery.
Manjeri-Mukkam road is broken at a few places with crater like potholes. Though overall it is a typical average Kerala state highway. The bypass to Manjeri coming from Valanchery is a huge detour and it would be easier to go through Manjeri town.

Technically the advantages mentioned by Fuelinjector exists - and the traffic is very less compared to the highway. But in terms of speed, you will not get any advantage due to the narrow roads and the conditions of the road.

Decide based on the time you will reach these sections. Peak time, Manjeri Mukkam -Adivaram may make sense. Else stick to the NH
mallumowgli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 17:43   #9097

Quote:
Don't think it is worth it.
Quote:
my two cents.
This route helps avoid the congested traffic while crossing through calicut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Don't think either of these adequately compensate for the overall narrowness...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Manjeri-Mukkam road is broken at a few places with crater like potholes... Decide based on the time you will reach these sections. Peak time, Manjeri Mukkam -Adivaram may make sense. Else stick to the NH
Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. We are travelling on a Sunday. Does that make any difference? We would be passing this area by noon (if possible.)
Old 7th December 2015, 12:21   #9098
BHPian

Dear Friends,

I'm starting from Trivandrum to Ooty later this month..which would be the best route to pick?

Also please suggest the best route to take from Ooty to Wayanad and later from Wayanad to Kochi....
Old 8th December 2015, 13:37   #9099
BHPian

Any update about the condition of BLR -> Salem -> Kumily -> Ranny route. I have to travel from Bangalore to Pandalam on 22nd Dec. With the new toll roads at Walayar, is it better to stick to NH47 ?

Regards, MB.
Old 8th December 2015, 14:58   #9100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
Any update about the condition of BLR -> Salem -> Kumily -> Ranny route. I have to travel from Bangalore to Pandalam on 22nd Dec. With the new toll roads at Walayar, is it better to stick to NH47 ?
Beautiful roads once you cross into KL from Walayar. Horrible roads from the LT junction near ettimadai till Walayar. but that stretch is just a few kms. still worth taking NH47.
Old 9th December 2015, 11:11   #9101
jp1
BHPian

Anyone recently travelled between Bangalore and Munnar via Pollachi->Udumulpet? If so how is the road overall condition?
Old 9th December 2015, 11:42   #9102
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Anyone recently travelled between Bangalore and Munnar via Pollachi->Udumulpet? If so how is the road overall condition?
You can take Bangalore-Coimbatore L&T bypass-turn left towards Pollachi, should be the fastest option as you have 4 lane Tolled roads upto the Coimbatore L&T bypass and then 2 laned L&T tolled road and then the state highway to Pollachi and Udumalaipet.

Alternate options are (will be slower but more scenic):
Bangalore-Pedundurai (4 lane till here)-Kangayam-Dharapuram-Udumalaipet-Marayoor-Munnar
OR
Bangalore-Avinashi bypass (4 lane till here)-Mangalam-Palladam-Udumalaipet-Marayoor-Munnar

*These route will take you to Munnar town directly from Marayoor and Eravikulam national park is en route.

From Udumalaipet, the forest road via Chinnar is narrow and was patchy/broken at some places upto Marayoor. Don't know current status after rains.

Also decide based on where you're heading to in Munnar - if it is towards Chinnakanal where Sterling, Mahindra and other resorts are located, you can take Bangalore-Dindigul (NH7 till here)-Batlagundu-Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal. From Chinnakanal, Munnar town is about 20+ Km and can take an hour on the hilly roads.

Last edited by NPV : 9th December 2015 at 11:43.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 17:36   #9103
BHPian

Hi All,
I am planning to travel from Balussery to kuzhalmannam near palakkad. Google is suggesting different options ( https://goo.gl/maps/ajZhxFAn1oM2) and i am confused on which one to take. Please provide your valuable suggestions.
-Need to reach the destination by 10am on Monday morning.
-Prefer decent roads even if distance is bit more.
Also what time should i start considering the distance is around 150kms and monday morning ?
Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 17:59   #9104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoojl View Post
Hi All,
Also what time should i start considering the distance is around 150kms and monday morning ?
All roads provided by google are valid ones. Since you would be travelling most of your drive early hours of morning, it ideally doesnt matter which one you take. Only catch is @perinthalmana route you might encounter a railway gate closure.
So, if i were you, i would take Manjeri-mannarkad route and leave by 5:30am.
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 18:18   #9105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only catch is @perinthalmana route you might encounter a railway gate closure.
On the contrary, all the routes have to cross the Shoranur-Nilambur railway line. The one via Manjeri-Mannarkkad has a railway crossing near Melattur.

In fact, the Calicut-Malappuram-Perinthalmanna-Mannarkkad route (not suggested by Google Maps) might be best because it is national highways throughout and *I think* there is a ROB to cross this railway line at Angadippuram (twin town of Perinthalmanna). Distance-wise, this could be a few kms extra.

In all routes you'll have to cross Shoranur-Palakkad main line via level crossings unless you go through Palakkad town. I don't think there are ROBs between Palakkad and Ottapalam.

My info is slightly outdated (regarding ROBs/level crossings).

To the OP: Calicut-Palakkad private buses take about 3-3.5 hours to cover this distance. You I hope will drive a lot more sensibly, so my suggestion would be to start at 5 AM. You'll hit heavy commuter traffic into Palakkad as your timing coincides with morning rush hour.

Last edited by binand : 9th December 2015 at 18:21.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed