Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2015, 18:33   #9106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoojl View Post
Hi All,
I am planning to travel from Balussery to kuzhalmannam near palakkad. Google is suggesting different options ( https://goo.gl/maps/ajZhxFAn1oM2) and i am confused on which one to take. Please provide your valuable suggestions.
-Need to reach the destination by 10am on Monday morning.
-Prefer decent roads even if distance is bit more.
Also what time should i start considering the distance is around 150kms and monday morning ?
Thanks
All routes pretty much take the same time. One other option I can recommend

Balussery-Calicut Bypass- Chelari-Valancheri-Koppam-Pattambi-Ottapalam-Mankara-Kottayi-Kuzhalmannam
(Route Link

I usually take part of this route when I drive Bangalore -Tirur (Palakkad-Kuzhalmannam-Kottayi-Mankara-Ottapalam-Pattambi-Valanchery-Tirur)

A 5.30 am start from Balussery should be good enough. Valanchery-Koppam may be a little rough. Rest all should be pretty good (But I last drove the section in June)

On the railway crossing, with this route you cross the the Nilambur Shornur line at Vaniyambadi (between Pattambi and Shornur) and the Palakkad Shornur line once you deviate from Mankara towards Kuzhalmannam (It is easy to miss this right turn from the Ottapalam-Palakkad Highway, so keep google maps handy for this turn), this is a low traffic road and even if the gate is closed, it will not cause any delays.

The malappuram-Perinthalmanna-Cherupplassery-Ottapalam route is also good. Downsides: I think Perinthalmanna-Cherupplassery-Ottapalam is relatively narrow and twisty. In addition, Angadippuram-Perinthalmanna can get crowded at the time you pass.

In general I feel NH 213 will be higher on traffic. with a lot o maniac private buses.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 9th December 2015 at 18:41.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 18:54   #9107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
I am planning to travel from Balussery to kuzhalmannam near palakkad. Google is suggesting different options ( https://goo.gl/maps/ajZhxFAn1oM2) and i am confused on which one to take. Please provide your valuable suggestions.
Also what time should i start considering the distance is around 150kms and monday morning ?
Thanks
You can budget around 4 hours (give or take 30mins, based on the route you choose and the prevailing traffic conditions). I'd done Kuzhalmannam-Kozhikkode in around that time a couple of months ago, along Ottappalam-Shornur-Kottakkal-Ramanattukara. The return was via Malappuram-Perinthalmanna-Cherpulassery-Mundur-Parali-Pirayiri to Palakkad (Had some business on that route, hence the slightly circuitous one). IIRC the return trip took about 5 hours, including a refreshment break at Perinthalmanna, sometime in the evening. Roads were decent in either direction.

As a tip, better to avoid the NH213, as you'll be at the mercy of maniac private buses.

@Rajeevraj has given you a more detailed feedback

Last edited by silversteed : 9th December 2015 at 18:58.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 19:13   #9108
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
Thanks
Among the ones given by G maps, the 3rd option (via Melattur-Mannarkkad Rd - 3 h 39 min without traffic) is the one I would recommend, as it will less crowded than the others, even if it given that you are starting relatively early in the morning. I "assume" the roads are average and not THAT bad at all.
Level crossing between Angadippuram & Perinthalmanna is a heavy bottleneck these days given that the ROB work is nowhere near completion and you will be reaching the spot not THAT early to avoid rush hour. So avoid it at all cost. Next one in my list will be the suggestion to take route via Shornur-Pattambi for the same reason that it has lighter traffic comparatively.
Thanks
ThePunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 20:30   #9109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Among the ones given by G maps, the 3rd option (via Melattur-Mannarkkad Rd - 3 h 39 min without traffic) is the one I would recommend, as it will less crowded than the others, even if it given that you are starting relatively early in the morning. I "assume" the roads are average and not THAT bad at all.
Edit to my previous update. I keep forgetting that Calicut-Palakkad route is not just the NH213 one. The one suggested above: Kondotty-Manjeri-Pandikkad-Melattur-Mannarkkad is a good one. I took this route October end. Roads are great and traffic is relatively less. But you will hit NH213 from Mannarkkad and then need to go up to Mundur and deviate to Parali. A little round about maybe.

So would still recommend the Shornur route followed by this one.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 09:47   #9110
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Coimbatore experts please help with this query:
When coming from Palakkad what is the best route to reach the Agricultural college and proceed towards Vadavalli ?
One route I know of is to take the exit to old highway towards Kovai Pudur, then go via Ukkadam, Oppanakara street, Thadagam and Agri college. Are there any better alternatives ?

Last edited by NPV : 10th December 2015 at 10:10.
Old 10th December 2015, 09:58   #9111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Coimbatore experts please help with this query:
When coming from Palakkad what is the best route to reach the Agricultural college and proceed towards Vadavalli ?
At the kovaipudur junction take a left. Drive for ~6 kms and you reach Perur junction. Take a right there. after ~500mts you take a left in front of the legendary Perur temple. This is the vedapatti road. (its a small board, so dont miss it). Drive for ~8 kms and you will join Thondamuthur road intersection. take a Right there and you reach vadavalli bust stop in ~1km.
i always take this route. Roads are good. Traffic is less.
FuelInjector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 11:08   #9112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
i always take this route. Roads are good. Traffic is less.
Coming from Palakkad, this may be the best route to take for Marudamalai, right? Thanks for the info - never knew about the Vedappatti Road
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 11:17   #9113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Coming from Palakkad, this may be the best route to take for Marudamalai, right? Thanks for the info - never knew about the Vedappatti Road
Yes. This is the best route. definitely better than driving though ukkadam/oppanakara street.
The Perur junction is Siruvani road. So if one takes a left at this junction, it would take the person all the way to kovai kutrallam or Isha yoga center.
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 17:58   #9114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Yes. This is the best route. definitely better than driving though ukkadam/oppanakara street.
The Perur junction is Siruvani road. So if one takes a left at this junction, it would take the person all the way to kovai kutrallam or Isha yoga center.
Is the road from Coimbatore through Selvapuram-Perur-Alandurai-Nallurvayal(Karunya)-Sadival to Siruvani extends beyond Siruvani to any Kerala towns? Don't know the authenticity, but this road actually was connecting Kozhikode to Coimbatore before. Now, this road is not allowed for private vehicles beyond Sadivayal checkpost?
Old 14th December 2015, 11:01   #9115
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Some queries for a day visit to Parambikulam:
1. Top Slip check post - is this at Anappady ? Asking since the Kerala forest department website mentions that the safari buses start from Anappady.

2. As per the website, day safari is available between 7 am-3 pm, but any idea what the frequency of safari buses are ? Every hour ?

Parambikulam safari - Link
Old 14th December 2015, 11:52   #9116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Is the road from Coimbatore through Selvapuram-Perur-Alandurai-Nallurvayal(Karunya)-Sadival to Siruvani extends beyond Siruvani to any Kerala towns? Don't know the authenticity, but this road actually was connecting Kozhikode to Coimbatore before. Now, this road is not allowed for private vehicles beyond Sadivayal checkpost?
Thats correct. The checkpost is the end point.
Old 14th December 2015, 15:50   #9117
Senior - BHPian

Iam planning to visit Alappuzha from Chennai via Kumily. Will be staying couple of days in Alappuza before I move to Coutrallam. From Kumily to Alappuza, which route is suggested out of these three. Prefer to have less traffic and good road option, as I will be covering the entire distance on Day-1. Any tentative timings to cover this distance? (Kumily to Alappuza) https://goo.gl/maps/J3V5hPPP56n

Also there are two routes from Alappuzha to Coutralla, one via Changanassery and other via Kayankulam. The route via Changanassery is around 30 kms extra. Which route has better road condition, less traffic & more scenic? Tentatively how long it would take to cover these distances starting 1000am from Alappuzha (5-6 hrs?)

Edit - https://goo.gl/maps/ZEWVqRKmaWR2

Last edited by Surprise : 14th December 2015 at 16:14.
Old 15th December 2015, 09:13   #9118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Iam planning to visit Alappuzha from Chennai via Kumily. Will be staying couple of days in Alappuza before I move to Coutrallam. From Kumily to Alappuza, which route is suggested out of these three. Prefer to have less traffic and good road option, as I will be covering the entire distance on Day-1. Any tentative timings to cover this distance? (Kumily to Alappuza) https://goo.gl/maps/J3V5hPPP56n

Also there are two routes from Alappuzha to Coutralla, one via Changanassery and other via Kayankulam. The route via Changanassery is around 30 kms extra. Which route has better road condition, less traffic & more scenic? Tentatively how long it would take to cover these distances starting 1000am from Alappuzha (5-6 hrs?)

From Kumily to Alappuzha, the best and shortest route is via Mundakkayam, Pulikkal Kavala, Karukachal and Chenganassery.

On your return, I would suggest go either via Kayamkulam, Adoor, Pathanapuram as MC Road has some work is being carried out.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 10:50   #9119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post

I would agree with JohnnyBoss's route suggestion.

I usually drive Kumily Changanacherry stretch which take aprox 4 hours for me. You can easily cover Kumily Alleppy by 4.5 hours. Please note - there are many dangerous curves between Kumily and Peruvanthanam.

Alleppy Tenkasi via Kayamkulam can easily cover by 3.5 hours. You may visit Thenmala Eco tourism and Palaruvi on your way to Tenkasi.

http://thenmalaecotourism.com/home.php
https://www.keralatourism.org/shooti...ns/palaruvi/16
JohnyRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 19:22   #9120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Some queries for a day visit to Parambikulam:
1. Top Slip check post - is this at Anappady ? Asking since the Kerala forest department website mentions that the safari buses start from Anappady.

2. As per the website, day safari is available between 7 am-3 pm, but any idea what the frequency of safari buses are ? Every hour ?

Parambikulam safari - Link
1. As far as my memories go, this should start after top slip. At top slip there is an office and a little further the check post of Kerala.

2. No clue, mostly they stick to the published timings. From Top slip to go see and come back, on a leisurely ride it will take at least 2 hours. So if only 1 bus is running....
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed