Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2015, 13:06   #9121
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

A question to the Eranakulam-Thiruvanthapuram regulars - I need to drive down from Irinjalakuda to Thiruvananthapuram on this month 26th to attend a wedding. Which will be better route to take - NH47 all the way, or take the Airport-Seaport road and then take the MC road? Which one will save time?

I am planning to start by 5 AM and have to reach TVM by 11 AM, and most probably will start back by 2 PM.

--Anoop
Old 16th December 2015, 13:11   #9122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
A question to the Eranakulam-Thiruvanthapuram regulars - I need to drive down from Irinjalakuda to Thiruvananthapuram on this month 26th to attend a wedding. Which will be better route to take - NH47 all the way, or take the Airport-Seaport road and then take the MC road? Which one will save time?

I am planning to start by 5 AM and have to reach TVM by 11 AM, and most probably will start back by 2 PM.

--Anoop
I think it will be faster to take the NH47 all the way at 5:00 AM in the morning as you get 4 lane roads till Cherthala. The other one will give full advantage of an early morning start.
pramodpk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 14:09   #9123
BHPian

Planning a drive from Ekm to Palakad. Those who have done this stretch, please share about roads condition after Mannuthy?
Old 16th December 2015, 14:12   #9124
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaluJ View Post
Planning a drive from Ekm to Palakad. Those who have done this stretch, please share about roads condition after Mannuthy?
After Mannuthy you may see some slow moving traffic in Kuthiran ghats but after that you have 4 laned roads so shouldn't be a problem. Watch out for cops around Kuthiran checking overtaking and speeding
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 14:48   #9125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
After Mannuthy you may see some slow moving traffic in Kuthiran ghats but after that you have 4 laned roads so shouldn't be a problem. Watch out for cops around Kuthiran checking overtaking and speeding
What is the limit these days? 80, 90 or 100?
Old 16th December 2015, 14:49   #9126
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I think it is 80 (from the earlier 70) kmph on the 4 laned sections, not so sure about the 2 laned sections.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 15:10   #9127
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback Is the road work till palakad complete? last time i traveled it was still in progress.
Old 16th December 2015, 15:35   #9128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaluJ View Post
Thanks for your feedback Is the road work till palakad complete? last time i traveled it was still in progress.
Vadakkenchery - Walayar 4 laning is complete.

Watch our for potholes on the Mannuthy-Vadakkenchery section

Speed limit on 4 lane is 90kmph
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 15:37   #9129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Quote:
I think it is 80 (from the earlier 70) kmph on the 4 laned sections, not so sure about the 2 laned sections.
Speed limit for cars.

4 lane national highways - 90 KM/H
2 Lane National highways - 85 KM/H
State Highways - 80 KM/H
All other roads - 70 KM/H
pramodpk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 17:52   #9130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I vaguely remember seeing the speed limit of 80 kmph on some stretches on Old Madras Road.
Old 17th December 2015, 00:45   #9131
Senior - BHPian

Did a Kalpetta-Calicut bypass-Kottakkal-Kuttippuram-Ponnani-Kodungallor-Cherai-Vypeen-Cochin trip last Sunday. All the roadwork on the new NH17 section between Kuttippuram and Ponnani seems complete now, and NH17 is now in excellent condition from Kuttippuram to Kodungallur except for the somewhat narrow stretches between Chavakkad and Chettuva.

Instead of going via Paravoor to Edappally, I took the Vypin road (Right turn about 4 kms past Kodungallur at Moothakunnam towards Cherai Beach and then a left turn at Pallippuram to take the Munambam-Vypin road till Vypin and then the Gosree bridge(s) to Ernakulam. Other than 2 or 3 bridges which are still quite narrow, this road seemed considerably better than the narrow NH17 section through Paravur. May be because it was a Sunday, the traffic was also quite low. Worth experimenting if one is travelling on NH17 towards Cochin.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 07:53   #9132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I think it will be faster to take the NH47 all the way at 5:00 AM in the morning as you get 4 lane roads till Cherthala. The other one will give full advantage of an early morning start.
Since you are starting by morning, taking NH all the way is the best option as Pramod suggested.

For return trip, you can come via MC road till Chengannur -> Tiruvalla -> Changanacherry bypass -> Putupally -> Ettumanoor (outer) -> Talayolaparambu -> Tripunithura -> Seaport airport road ->Irinjalakuda.

This can be done more or less in predictable time and also will help to avoid:
1) Construction work in Changanacherry - Kotttayam section of MC road
2) traffic jams inside Kottayam town
3) traffic jams in Ettumanoor
4) traffic jams inside Cochin
B103 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 11:18   #9133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post

For return trip, you can come via MC road till Chengannur -> Tiruvalla -> Changanacherry bypass -> Putupally -> Ettumanoor (outer) -> Talayolaparambu -> Tripunithura -> Seaport airport road ->Irinjalakuda.

Instead of coming to Tripunithura from Thalayaloparambu, proceed straight via Mulanthuruthy, Chottanikkara (bypass) and Karingachira to enter A-S Road. this way you can avoid Tripunithura traffic also. Traffic at Karingachira Jn. may be a bit high during evening hours, though.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 11:36   #9134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Please be careful if you're taking the Changanasseri - Puthupalli - Ettumanoor route. Roads are two lane, surface is excellent, local traffic is dangerous! They still haven't gotten used to the fact that the roads are being used by many long distance travellers and that the surface is really good! Maybe not as lunatic as the local population along rural TN state highways, but do exercise caution.
Geo_Ipe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 11:44   #9135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Did a Kalpetta-Calicut bypass-Kottakkal-Kuttippuram-Ponnani-Kodungallor-Cherai-Vypeen-Cochin trip last Sunday. All the roadwork on the new NH17 section between Kuttippuram and Ponnani seems complete now, and NH17 is now in excellent condition from Kuttippuram to Kodungallur except for the somewhat narrow stretches between Chavakkad and Chettuva.
Did you contemplate Chelari - Parappanangadi - Tirur - Chamravattom - Ponnani? Any idea how the road condition of this route? This used to be shorter and more importantly, less traffic.

Last edited by ampere : 17th December 2015 at 13:31. Reason: Fixed quotes

Most Viewed