Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2015, 13:58   #9136
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
Did you contemplate Chelari - Parappanangadi - Tirur - Chamravattom - Ponnani? Any idea how the road condition of this route? This used to be shorter and more importantly, less traffic.
Not sure about the latest state of the roads, but a month or so ago, the stretch took more or less the same time to cover, compared to the alternate routes. The roads are narrow and twisty as you approach Chamravattom bridge, then there were rough patches after Chamravattom, and Tirur-Parappanangadi-Chelari was not so easy on traffic. Especially the towns. I covered this stretch at around 11 o'clock on a weekend.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 15:13   #9137
BHPian

Hai Kerala Bhpians,
My second and third legs of my South India Road trip covers Kerala and Tamilnadu.
Kindly update on drive conditions on Guruvayoor- TVM route. Please do indicate if the average speed /time is accurate.

All Roads to Kerala-image.jpeg

Leg 3 is where I need more inputs, as it's the first time on this stretch. In particular the night drive conditions,as Kanyakumari to Rameshwaram sector would be post sunset. I have factored speed of 40 km/hr on this leg. Would that be fair?

All Roads to Kerala-image.jpeg

Last edited by ampere : 17th December 2015 at 16:21. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 17th December 2015, 15:40   #9138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
Hai Kerala Bhpians,
My second and third legs of my South India Road trip covers Kerala and Tamilnadu.
Kindly update on drive conditions on Guruvayoor- TVM route. Please do indicate if the average speed /time is accurate.
What time of the day are you planning to drive from Guruvayur to Trivandrum?
Better to start early. A 5:00 AM start can take you to Trivandrum in 6 hours but an 8:00 AM start can take as long as 8 hours.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 16:17   #9139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
What time of the day are you planning to drive from Guruvayur to Trivandrum?
Better to start early. A 5:00 AM start can take you to Trivandrum in 6 hours but an 8:00 AM start can take as long as 8 hours.
Thanks for the input. It would be most likely post 8, as we reach Guruvayoor around midnight. Temple visit with a few hours rest would easily be post 8.
Old 17th December 2015, 16:19   #9140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the input. It would be most likely post 8, as we reach Guruvayoor around midnight. Temple visit with a few hours rest would easily be post 8.
Not a good time to start. Expect an average speed between 30 - 40 KM/H.
Old 17th December 2015, 16:26   #9141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guruvayur is a very crowded temple; people queue up for hours to have a darshan. I think average queue time is about 3-4 hours nowadays.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 17:29   #9142
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Guruvayur is a very crowded temple; people queue up for hours to have a darshan. I think average queue time is about 3-4 hours nowadays.
As Binand mentioned nowadays you need to spend 3 hours for dharshan even on weekdays. Suggest to reach Guruvayoor before 8PM and make it for Athazha seeveli at 9 PM when the queue will be relatively less.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 18:41   #9143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you contemplate Chelari - Parappanangadi - Tirur - Chamravattom - Ponnani? Any idea how the road condition of this route? This used to be shorter and more importantly, less traffic.
That used to be the route I had been taking at most times in the past couple of years. But as @silversteed mentioned, passing the towns like Tirur, Tanur, Parappanangadi etc is quite a pain during the day time since the roads are narrow - and the traffic also has increased considerably these days. Also the roads were quite rough around Chamravattom the last time I passed through - that's why I thought of trying the Kottakkal route this time.

But then traffic on the Calicut-Kuttippuram stretch is also quite high during the day, and quite unruly as well - so not much to choose between the two really.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 19:31   #9144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Traversing the towns in this route - Parappanangadi, Tanur, Tirur - is extremely taxing. Plus there is at least one railway level crossing at Chettipadi (the other two probably have overbridges now).
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 12:13   #9145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Since you are starting by morning, taking NH all the way is the best option as Pramod suggested.

For return trip, you can come via MC road till Chengannur -> Tiruvalla -> Changanacherry bypass -> Putupally -> Ettumanoor (outer) -> Talayolaparambu -> Tripunithura -> Seaport airport road ->Irinjalakuda.

This can be done more or less in predictable time and also will help to avoid:
1) Construction work in Changanacherry - Kotttayam section of MC road
2) traffic jams inside Kottayam town
3) traffic jams in Ettumanoor
4) traffic jams inside Cochin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Instead of coming to Tripunithura from Thalayaloparambu, proceed straight via Mulanthuruthy, Chottanikkara (bypass) and Karingachira to enter A-S Road. this way you can avoid Tripunithura traffic also. Traffic at Karingachira Jn. may be a bit high during evening hours, though.
Thank you B103 and Johnny for the inputs - I will stick to the route mentioned by you both and will update after the travel.

--Anoop
Old 18th December 2015, 18:37   #9146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Thank you B103 and Johnny for the inputs - I will stick to the route mentioned by you both and will update after the travel.
For the onward journey I would suggest Irinjalakuda-Kodungallur-Paravur-Edappally and then NH47 from thereon instead of NH47 all thw way (via Potta). The Alwaye-Edappally section of NH47 is very very messy with the metro construction - I got stuck for about half an hour at a diversion near Kalamassery at 5:30 AM yesterday morning. NH17 should be relatively better to get to Edappally early in the morning.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 18:45   #9147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
For the onward journey I would suggest Irinjalakuda-Kodungallur-Paravur-Edappally and then NH47 from thereon instead of NH47 all thw way (via Potta). The Alwaye-Edappally section of NH47 is very very messy with the metro construction - I got stuck for about half an hour at a diversion near Kalamassery at 5:30 AM yesterday morning. NH17 should be relatively better to get to Edappally early in the morning.
Thank you! This is the same advice I got from everyone, so I am sticking with the Kodungallur - Paravoor route.

--Anoop
Old 18th December 2015, 22:19   #9148
BHPian

Dear Friends,

I am traveling from Vythiri(Wayanad) to Kochi. Which is the best possible route to take?
Old 19th December 2015, 08:16   #9149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyman_46 View Post
Dear Friends,

I am traveling from Vythiri(Wayanad) to Kochi. Which is the best possible route to take?
Please scroll a few pages back to see recent conversations. Kochi to Wayanad and back were discussed at least twice in the last 15-20 days.

This query, and the discussion that followed:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3859042

This trip report:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3871706
Old 19th December 2015, 12:10   #9150
Senior - BHPian

Route query, but not road

Planning for a boat ride. Looks like there are options like Alappuzha-Kollam-Alappuza, Alappuzha-Kumarakom-Alappuzha, Alapppuzha-Thathampally lake etc. Which would be the most scenic and ideal for clicking pictures

Quote:
From Kumily to Alappuzha, the best and shortest route is via Mundakkayam, Pulikkal Kavala, Karukachal and Chenganassery.

Quote:

On your return, I would suggest go either via Kayamkulam, Adoor, Pathanapuram as MC Road has some work is being carried out

https://goo.gl/maps/BXf21PxCDjx

https://goo.gl/maps/KJiRLXrdx1p

Thanks. As suggested I will be taking those routes....just to reconfirm on correctness, I have attached the maps above

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyRider View Post

You can easily cover Kumily Alleppy by 4.5 hours. Please note - there are many dangerous curves between Kumily and Peruvanthanam.

Alleppy Tenkasi via Kayamkulam can easily cover by 3.5 hours. You may visit Thenmala Eco tourism and Palaruvi on your way to Tenkasi.

http://thenmalaecotourism.com/home.php
https://www.keralatourism.org/shooti...ns/palaruvi/16
Thanks for those links...will cover minimum the Palaruvi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks