Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2015, 10:26   #9166
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
What are the current petrol prices in Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Karnataka?
Any significant differences?
Karnataka and Kerala are almost same and TN will have 1-2 rupees less ( in general )

Exact price depends on the district you fill. For an indicative price refer this site
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:21   #9167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Karnataka and Kerala are almost same and TN will have 1-2 rupees less ( in general )

Exact price depends on the district you fill. For an indicative price refer this site
Between Bangalore, Salem & Trichur, I have always found Trichur to be cheaper of the three. Though Trichur & Salem will have a diff of only a rupee or less, the difference between Trichur & Bangalore is generally 3-4 rupees.
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:29   #9168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
What are the current petrol prices in Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Karnataka?
Any significant differences?

Edit: in TN, it is currently INR 60.3/ lit for petrol.
As you go further down south in TN like in Madurai, Tuticorin, the price of petrol will be lesser compared to that of the places in north TN.
I believe petrol price in KL is slightly higher than that of KA.
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:31   #9169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADAS View Post
Between Bangalore, Salem & Trichur, I have always found Trichur to be cheaper of the three. Though Trichur & Salem will have a diff of only a rupee or less, the difference between Trichur & Bangalore is generally 3-4 rupees.
That used to be the case; but few months back there was a tax hike in Kerala and as a result prices went up.

for eg on Oct 12th Diesel price in TCR was around 48.8 (IOCL), and in Bangalore 48.2 (Shell) - (this data is from my Pooja holidays trip log)
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:44   #9170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
In my experience, KA and KL are more or less the same. Depending on location, one of them might be a bit higher than the other by maybe a rupee at max.

On the other hand, TN usually is much lower (between Rs. 3 to 5).

Once you enter big cities there is a further increase in price. Between Bangalore (city) and Calicut (city) the difference could be up to Rs. 2.

AP usually is a little bit higher than KA.
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:48   #9171
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADAS View Post
Drove Bangalore to Thrissur today. Took Whitefield -> Bagalur -> Hosur -> Salem -> Coimbatore bypass -> Palakkad -> Thrissur route. Excellent to good roads through out, except for a small stretch around Chavadymukku just before Walayar. 4 lane work complete until just after Alathur in Kerala. Potholes are patched around Kuthiran. Overall drive was a breeze.

i am planning to go to Alappuzha from Bangalore tomorrow and i wanted to check if i can take the same thrissur route. I have been advised to avoid Palakkad-Thrissur and instead go via Ottapalam ->Shoranur -> Wadakkenchery, however i believe the advise was based on the bad road conditions in the past. I would rather depend on advise because you have traveled recently. Please suggest.

Note: I drive a sedan with low ground clearance
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:58   #9172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
i am planning to go to Alappuzha from Bangalore tomorrow and i wanted to check if i can take the same thrissur route. I have been advised to avoid Palakkad-Thrissur and instead go via Ottapalam ->Shoranur -> Wadakkenchery, however i believe the advise was based on the bad road conditions in the past. I would rather depend on advise because you have traveled recently. Please suggest.

If you are reaching Palakad during day time, better to stay in NH47 itself. The shoranur road is not worth the additional time and traffic (imo). Add minimum 1 hour extra travel time in normal day time traffic if you take Shoranur road.

I see you have a Verna from your signature; it shouldn't be that bad if you drive carefully in the 50-60 kmph range in the Mannuthy- Wadakkenchery stretch.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:44   #9173
Senior - BHPian

I have been hearing about a road block planned by TN at Kerala borders on 27th Dec, I was planning to cross to Kerala from Theni on that day after a Rameshwaram trip. Any updates on this will be helpful
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:47   #9174
BHPian

Planning for a Cochin- Wayanad trip next week. From Wayanad, return will be via Thaliparambu. Some queries on the route as,

1. Onward route will be Cochin- Thrissur- Kuttippuram- Ramanattukara- Thamarassery churam. How is the condition of the churam now? Heard that road work is going on in that ghat section. Do I have to avoid the churam section?

2. Mananthawadi- Thaliparambu will be through the boys town- Kottiyoor route. Hope that Ghat section is not difficult , as some members have reported very steep gradient.

3. Return will be from Thaliparambu - Calicut - Thrissur -Cochin.
Old 22nd December 2015, 15:20   #9175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i am planning to go to Alappuzha from Bangalore tomorrow and i wanted to check if i can take the same thrissur route. I have been advised to avoid Palakkad-Thrissur and instead go via Ottapalam ->Shoranur -> Wadakkenchery
The route via Ottappalam is circuitous, compared to the NH47 - it'll easily add 20km and an extra 1 hour if not more. Though Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy is not at its best, it's manageable even after dusk. This is one of the most dangerous sections when it comes to mad private buses, hence be prepared to drive slower and more cautiously.

There are people who drive much lower slung cars, so your Verna can easily handle these roads
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:17   #9176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
Planning for a Cochin- Wayanad trip next week. From Wayanad, return will be via Thaliparambu. Some queries on the route as,

1. Onward route will be Cochin- Thrissur- Kuttippuram- Ramanattukara- Thamarassery churam. How is the condition of the churam now? Heard that road work is going on in that ghat section. Do I have to avoid the churam section?

2. Mananthawadi- Thaliparambu will be through the boys town- Kottiyoor route. Hope that Ghat section is not difficult , as some members have reported very steep gradient.

3. Return will be from Thaliparambu - Calicut - Thrissur -Cochin.
As per reports, the road repair works on the Thamarassery Churam will start from 21st. Due to this all heavy vehicles apart from buses will be redirected via kuttiadi ghats.

Overall the churam is still in good condition. The work is mostly focused on few hair pins which are bad. So no issues driving. But due to the work, there can be small delays. There are few folks headed to Calicut from Bangalore on 23rd. Expect updates in the Bangalore-Calicut thread. 23rd/24th.

Kuttiadi churam is easily doable, but if heavy vehicles are directed via that route, the potential of jams/delay can be higher as the road is narrower.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:26   #9177
BHPian

Quote:

As arjithin and silversteed mentioned, stay on NH-47. A couple of months ago I did Mannuthy-Vadakkenchery (It starts with a "V" ) in about 35 minutes in a sedan with a slightly higher clearance than the Verna. And once past Mannuthy, towards Alapuzha, it is nice roads but considerable traffic and lots of traffic signals. If going to Kerala after a long time, don't miss the excellent road between Walayar and Vadakkenchery. You should be more worried as you approach Kochi, the metro work is quite a nightmare.

And this was the toll tariffs from NICE Road Bannerghatta to Thrissur:

No -- Toll -- Rate
1 NICE Road -33
2 KA-Exit -25
3 Krishnagiri -60
4 Thoppur -86
5 Salem -69
6 Vaiguntam -54
7 Perundurai -49
8 Chengapalli -80
9 L&T -31
10 Walayar -45

Total: INR 532

Last edited by sun_king : 22nd December 2015 at 16:31.
sun_king is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 18:15   #9178
BHPian

Today i took blr-salem-dindugul-kumily-ranni-chengannur. Started from Banaswadi at 5.10 and reached chengannur at 4.40 with 3 brakes and a fuel stop. Hosur dindugul is excellent condition. Many rough patches are there between dindugul and kumily, but overall manageable. Towns teni, cumbum, periakulam are congested and takes time. Kerala side roads are good. But so many sabarimala return vehicles coming too fast on the twisty roads and pushing helpless sedans out of the road. Return I will stick to NH47.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th January 2016 at 14:28. Reason: Typos.
motor_breathing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 19:53   #9179
Distinguished - BHPian

As arjithin pointed out, many of the fuel stations are out of stock (especially diesel). I tried two pumps to top up but got lucky the third time. And I heard BP pumps are mostly affected. Anyways, I would suggest everyone to top up well in advance.

Current diesel rate in Cochin (think few members were asking) - 49.58/lt
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:33   #9180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post

Churam seems to be closed from Dec 21 and only buses are allowed. Check this link - https://goo.gl/zJ1GcR

Most Viewed