Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2015, 16:10   #9211
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Traveled on Thursday last week to Erumeli via Banglore- Dindigul -Cumbum -Katappana-Kuttikanam-Mundakayam-Erumeli.

Roads conditions already updated in the previous 3 - 4 posts.

Was diverted by police at Cumbum to take this route via Kattappana and Kutikanam

Cumbum to Amayar is pretty bad Ghat section was very rough roads and added to that all state transport buses causing bottle necks as the road is quite narrow.

Amayar- Kattappana -Kutikannam roads improve but town traffic was heavy.

Last edited by gajadonga : 28th December 2015 at 16:24.
Old 28th December 2015, 19:46   #9212
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Traveled to Palakkad on 24th Dec, Bangalore-Salem-Coimbatore bypass-Walayar-Palakkad:
Start:4:45am, Indiranagar

Breakfast break:8.15am to 8.30am Salem A2B. Extremely crowded so just filled up fuel at the BP bunk in this campus and left.
8:45am-9:30am stopped at Saravana Bhavan, Vaikundam. Again, very crowded but managed to find a table soon and escaped from a long wait.

Reached Palakkad at 1pm.

Road conditions - excellent up to Coimbatore bypass. Coimbatore bypass is badly in need of widening and saw signs of this at Madukkarai where it ends, a flyover is also coming up there.
From Madukkarai, upto K G Chavadi the 4 lane roads are complete partially, barring the flyovers. At K G Chavadi, the bypass forks to left and is work in progress so back onto the old road. After K G Chavadi, the bypass merges back from left onto the old road. This stretch is broken, rough and slows down progress. After this, the 4 lane begins from Walayar and is excellent to Palakkad and beyond (next day I traveled till Alathur).

Lots of traffic at the tolls and saved about 20 minutes at the Attibele toll with Fast Tag Unfortunately, this is still not in operation from Krishnagiri and beyond.

*2 new stay options en route:
1.At the Salem KPN campus - (has a BP Petrol pump, A2B restaurant & Polar Bear ice cream outlet)
KPN Plaza Inn
2.At Chengapalli there is a campus with Anandha Bhavan restaurant and a Classic Polo outlet
Srinivasa Lodge

Last edited by NPV : 28th December 2015 at 19:51.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 19:47   #9213
BHPian

Hi Friends, I have a trip from Alleppey (a place called Cherthala) to Munnar tomorrow. May I know the best route to choose in terms of road conditions and traffic? Google maps shows one via NH49 and another via Thaneermukkam - Thodupuzha. Which one is better, considering it is holiday season in kerala?
Old 28th December 2015, 20:01   #9214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Unfortunately the mini VIP culture has picked up a lot in Guruvayoor- So if you know the manager or someone moderately significant, there is a 'token' system which enables you to by-pass the queue.
True. Generally I do avoid crowded temples, but this time visited two such temples - Guruvayur and Sabari Mala. At Guruvayur had to take the help of a police man friend shamelessly to get in through an alternate route. At Sabari Mala it was a combination of friends in the state PWD (for stay), police men (for navigating the queue system) and the priests group (for good darshan) who had to help me out. Finally just took solace over the fact that perhaps the Lord(s) did wish me to have a good Darshan .
Old 29th December 2015, 15:48   #9215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Traveled on Thursday last week to Erumeli via Banglore- Dindigul -Cumbum -Katappana-Kuttikanam-Mundakayam-Erumeli.

Roads conditions already updated in the previous 3 - 4 posts.

Was diverted by police at Cumbum to take this route via Kattappana and Kutikanam.
I did Chennai Kanjirappally on 23. I too was asked to divert at Cumbum but then since I knew this would happen, I told the cops that I am going to lowercamp and then they let me go straight rather than the right turn .

I could see lots of sabarimalai pilgrim's vehicles geting diverted and they had to take the diversion . For others, if you tell some place before Kumily, cops normally will let you go straight.

Talking about road conditions, things have improved a lot. I could count 3-4 culvert constructions and rest all are good roads.Not much issues in the ghat section as well and over all, could cover the 620 kms in around 11 hours.
Old 29th December 2015, 18:19   #9216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
Hi Friends, I have a trip from Alleppey (a place called Cherthala) to Munnar tomorrow. May I know the best route to choose in terms of road conditions and traffic? Google maps shows one via NH49 and another via Thaneermukkam - Thodupuzha. Which one is better, considering it is holiday season in kerala?
The best route is to go through Cherthala-Kundannur Jn-Irumpanam- Kolenchery-Muvattupuzha (Velloorkkunam town)-Kothamangalam-Munnar. Yes, traffic problems are high, especially in the evenings through NH49 and in Velloorkkunam.

Alternate route is through Thanneermukkam-Vaikom-Piravom-Muvattupuzha-Kothamangalam-Munnar. I am sure, this route will not be in good condition, especially between Piravom and Thanneermukkam.

There is no need to touch Thodupuzha.The route through Koothattukulam-Vazhakulam-Paingottur shown in Google Maps is in reality, not developed and are village roads (Average speed of 40kmph). Besides, Kuravilangadu-Koothattukulam sector is part of MC road which is currently being reconstructed.

Last edited by deepclutch : 29th December 2015 at 18:20.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 18:20   #9217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
I did Chennai Kanjirappally on 23. I too was asked to divert at Cumbum but then since I knew this would happen, I told the cops that I am going to lowercamp and then they let me go straight rather than the right turn .
.Not much issues in the ghat section as well and over all, could cover the 620 kms in around 11 hours.

When they diverted thought there was some traffic jams especially the Gudalur-Thekkdy stretch due to pilgrim rush.Had about 2 hrs buffer in case of Traffic jams.
So when I saw the diversion was happy to take it .
Only the initial ghat is pretty bad about 18kms or so. Loads of eight seater autos too.

Distance wise almost the same from Cumbum to Kuttikanam on both the routes.
The comfort of driving Kumily-Mundakayam is really better.Wider roads and driving pleasure.

Started from Dindigul 8.30am reached Erumeli by 2pm with about half an hour break for a roadside lunch

Last edited by gajadonga : 29th December 2015 at 18:26.
Old 29th December 2015, 20:27   #9218
BHPian

I am travelling to Wayanad tomorrow from Chennai via Mysore. Since I would be able to start only @ around 1 pm from CHennai, I will take a halt @ Mysore in the night tomorrow and resume journey on 31st morning.
I was initially planning to take the Mysore > Gundlupet > Bethery route but since I will be reaching only by around 10 am there, one of my friends suggested that I go to Kuruva islands first and complete that area on day one and then come on the second day to Bethery area and do the Muthanga part.

Can I know how the Mysore > Kuruva Islands road condition is, esp. @ through Nagarhole. Do you suggest this route?
I would be driving my Swift Dzire. Since I am travelling tomorrow, i would appreciate a quick guidance

thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 22:33   #9219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhuG View Post
I am travelling to Wayanad tomorrow from Chennai via Mysore..

Can I know how the Mysore > Kuruva Islands road condition is, esp. @ through Nagarhole. Do you suggest this route?
I would be driving my Swift Dzire. Since I am travelling tomorrow, i would appreciate a quick guidance

thanks
Best route would be Mysore- handpost- bavalli-turn off to kurva just before kattikulam. This is sh 33 on Google maps. The road is pretty good and traffic will be less. This will be better than hunsur- nagarhole- kattikulam route.

Only not sure about the final approach to kurva once you turn off from the main road.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 29th December 2015 at 22:35.
Old 29th December 2015, 23:31   #9220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
2.At Chengapalli there is a campus with Anandha Bhavan restaurant and a Classic Polo outlet Srinivasa Lodge
This was coming up when I had food at the restaurant. Decent food and a good location.

Also guys please note: the Salem Park Plaza will be renamed to Radisson.

If you see this press release (old one), Park Plaza looks like is a Radisson brand. This is just a name change for the Salem property.

http://www.dnaindia.com/press-releas...n-2012-1788777

I saw this announcement as a hoarding outside the hotel.

Last edited by ampere : 29th December 2015 at 23:37.
Old 30th December 2015, 01:04   #9221
BHPian

Quote:
Best route would be Mysore- handpost- bavalli-turn off to kurva just before kattikulam. This is sh 33 on Google maps. The road is pretty good and traffic will be less. This will be better than hunsur- nagarhole- kattikulam route.

Only not sure about the final approach to kurva once you turn off from the main road.
Thanks for the quick response Rajeev... But, isnt that a roundabout...
Old 30th December 2015, 07:31   #9222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhuG View Post
Thanks for the quick response Rajeev... But, isnt that a roundabout...
Roundabout as compared to? If you mean the route via hunsur- nagarhole, then no- the one I mentioned would be faster and has slightly better roads inside nagarhole( this one also passes through the nagarhole santuary, but through its fringes).
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 10:31   #9223
BHPian

Quote:
Roundabout as compared to? If you mean the route via hunsur- nagarhole, then no- the one I mentioned would be faster and has slightly better roads inside nagarhole( this one also passes through the nagarhole santuary, but through its fringes).
Thanks Rajeev...will try this out.
Old 30th December 2015, 19:46   #9224
BHPian

Bangalore-Poovar-Cherai-Guruvayur-Coimbatore-Bangalore

Planning a trip in January 3rd week; starting from Bangalore proceeding to Poovar via Salesm-Madurai-Thirunelveli-Nagekoil. After holidaying at Poovar plan to travel to Cherai Beach at Kochin and return via Guruvayoor and Coimbatore to Bangalore. Can experienced travellers in this route help with following:

1) How much time will be required for travel from Madurai to Poovar as we plan to halt at madurai and visit the temple? How is the road beyond Nagerkoil to Poovar?

2) What is best the route for Poovar to Chearai Kochin?

As we are travelling with a couple of senior citizens, decent highway restaurants with rest room facilities between Madurai and Poovar and again between Poovar and Cherai, Kochin.

Much appreciate all inputs/suggestions.

Cheers
Old 30th December 2015, 19:56   #9225
Senior - BHPian

Back to Bangalore after Xmas break.

Started at 4 AM from CHalakudy
5:50 AM - CBE bypass start ( all the construction work near Palakkad is over)
7:30 AM - Sankari bypass left turn to Tharamangalam
8:30 AM - Omalur
11:00 AM - Hosur (including a 40 mt break)
12:00 PM - Whitefield home.

Overall a smooth drive except for the Omalur deviation. Took that road based on an info that potholes are fixed, but turned out to be false info. Roads are still in bad condition and not worth the detour.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks