Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2016, 22:59   #9271
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Start from Guruvayur and head to Vadavalli in Coimbatore before heading back to Bangalore.
I heard from my relatives that there is heavy construction in gandhipuram area (flyovers) so you may be better off taking the Perur road and avoiding the Oppanakara street route to reach Vadavalli.
Old 15th January 2016, 19:39   #9272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I heard from my relatives that there is heavy construction in gandhipuram area (flyovers) so you may be better off taking the Perur road and avoiding the Oppanakara street route to reach Vadavalli.
Thanks, yes I am aware of it and I plan to take Perur road/Thondamuthur road and get to Vadavalli. Cheers

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th January 2016 at 14:29. Reason: Tnx > Thanks.
Old 21st January 2016, 08:50   #9273
BHPian

After a long time ( almost 2 yrs ) going on a family trip to Thekkady and Kodai. As ever, we start early around 1:30AM .

if we leave around 1:30AM from B'lore, should cross Dindigul between 6:00-6:30AM towards Theni, Kumily

Too early for breakfast....... are there any good places to stop for breakfast between Dindigul - Theni/Kumily ?? good clean toilets preferable please
Old 21st January 2016, 09:17   #9274
BHPian

Thiruvananthapuram and its suburbs to get access to proper National Highways as Gadkari lays foundation stone for four-laning of Karode-Villukuri, Villukuri-Kanyakumari and Nagercoil-Kavalkinaru; coupled with ongoing TVM bypass project.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/50642261.cms
darklord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 10:03   #9275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Thiruvananthapuram and its suburbs to get access to proper National Highways as Gadkari lays foundation stone for four-laning of Karode-Villukuri, Villukuri-Kanyakumari and Nagercoil-Kavalkinaru; coupled with ongoing TVM bypass project.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/50642261.cms

Is the Karamana - Kaliyikkavila road done? What is the condition of NH 47 between Nagercoil & Trivandrum?
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 10:23   #9276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Is the Karamana - Kaliyikkavila road done?
Inauguration of the first phase is supposed to happen on the 23rd. Indications are that the 2nd phase works won't begin until after assembly elections.
darklord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 15:12   #9277
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redballons View Post

Too early for breakfast....... are there any good places to stop for breakfast between Dindigul - Theni/Kumily ?? good clean toilets preferable please
Hotel Western Ghatz at Theni. On your left just before Theni town.
M35 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 07:12   #9278
BHPian

Drove down from Bangalore to Madurai; broke the journey and stayed at Oyo Rooms close to Meenakshi temple; the hotel is called Moskvas on Tamil Sangam road; the room itself is fine. Then the parking and taking the Duster out was a challenge. The road - GQ from Bangalore - Salem - Karur - Madurai is a breeze. Well again at Krishnagiri the FastTag did not work and had to pay.

From Madurai to Suchindram again is a great drive again; then Nagerkoil to Poovar was a disaster; my coordinates loaded Garmin landed in the middle of Pozhiyur and had to make frantic calls to Club Mahindra who asked me to get back to Trivandrum and take a left turn at Virali to reach the resort. The traffic was hell. Took about 2 1/2 hours inlcuding the wild goose chase.

From Poovar the drive to Alleppy Ramada Hotel through MC road was fine; the bridges before Changanacherry are being repaired/made; some chaos but not much. MC road itself was a lovely drive. A small road side restaurant called Family Restaurant (before or after?) Pandalam gave relief with a nice 'cha' and clean toilet

Now plan to visit Vaikom temple, Kalady and head to Guruvayur. I need help here. What is the best route? Can I simply rely on Google map or I need to avoid some parts of it? I have 2 senior citizens traveling with us. That is the concern. Please let me know as we plan to visit Allappuzha Sree Krishna Temple and some boat ride today and leave early morning tomorrow.

Thanks in advance and cheers
Old 22nd January 2016, 09:54   #9279
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redballons View Post
Another option just after Western Gatz (on left) is Hotel Meenakshi Bhavan on right side next to a BP petrol pump campus.

Last edited by NPV : 22nd January 2016 at 10:00.
Old 22nd January 2016, 10:37   #9280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now plan to visit Vaikom temple, Kalady and head to Guruvayur. I need help here. What is the best route? Can I simply rely on Google map or I need to avoid some parts of it? I have 2 senior citizens traveling with us. That is the concern. Please let me know as we plan to visit Allappuzha Sree Krishna Temple and some boat ride today and leave early morning tomorrow.

Here is what you can do:

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:08   #9281
BHPian

We are travelling to Chengannur in the month of March. Our general option is to take flight, land in Trivandrum and then take a cab to Chengannur.

I somehow want to convince my wife into driving to chenngannur this time, We have a 15 month old son with us who gets very cranky during long drives, the maximum we could drive at a stretch in a day would be 6-7 hours. Our son demands a nap and there is no way he would sleep in the car. Avoiding long drives is not the solution IMO. We have realized that these flights are equally tiring and takes time, considering the distance between trivandrum and chengannur.

Google map suggest multiple routes to chengannur, all taking around 11-12 hours. So my plan is to split my trip into 6 hours each, stay overnight at a place & continue the journey early next morning.

Here is our tentative plan:
1.) Leave Bangalore at 4 PM on Friday.
2.) Reach Dindgul at 10 PM, stay over night. This also includes the bio breaks and baby feeding time.
3.) Leave early morning the next day at 6 PM, reach Chengannur for lunch at 1PM.

Kindly suggest me the route and a good place to stay. Thanks.

Rgds,
Vinod

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 22nd January 2016 at 12:11.
Old 22nd January 2016, 17:07   #9282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I somehow want to convince my wife into driving to chenngannur this time, We have a 15 month old son with us who gets very cranky during long drives [...] We have realized that these flights are equally tiring and takes time, considering the distance between trivandrum and chengannur.
Why put your wife and son through this ordeal? Trains are very good for travelling with children. The usual Kanyakumari Exp. will reach Chengannur before 10 AM. For about half the cost of a flight, you can book 1A on this train and travel comfortably.
Old 22nd January 2016, 17:17   #9283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Why put your wife and son through this ordeal? Trains are very good for travelling with children. The usual Kanyakumari Exp. will reach Chengannur before 10 AM. For about half the cost of a flight, you can book 1A on this train and travel comfortably.
Last time when we traveled in train, we had a tough time handling our son, he kept waking up and crying regularly. We also need to be considerate to other passengers in the train.

1A would cost us 2470/- per passenger for that distance, that is almost same as flight charges if I don't account the up & down cab charges between home and airport.
Old 22nd January 2016, 17:41   #9284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
We also need to be considerate to other passengers in the train.

1A would cost us 2470/- per passenger for that distance, that is almost same as flight charges
On 1A, you get a 2-berth "room" for yourself, where your son wouldn't bother other passengers. Plus he travels free. You have to pay for 3 tickets if you fly.
Old 22nd January 2016, 18:32   #9285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Here is what you can do:

Route Link
Wouldn't really recommend the Vaikom - Kalady section of that suggested route - the traffic in the Tripunithura - Vyttila-Edapally-Alwaye sector can be terrible in the mornings thanks to the metro work and the Palarivattom overbridge work in progress. (The last time I went that way - a couple of weeks ago - it took me 25 minutes to cross Edappally signal !)

Better options would be :

1) Vaikom-Talayolaparambu-Piravom-Muvattupuzha-Perumbavoor-Kalady.

2) Vaikom-Udayamperoor-Mulanthuruthy-Chottanikkara bypass-Thiruvankulam-NH49-Puthen Kurishu-Pattimattom-Perumbavoor-Kalady.

The only issue with both these routes is that you will probably need some navigation assistance if one is unfamiliar with the area. The route via Tripunithura would be easier to navigate - so if at all you choose to go that way, would suggest taking the Seaport-Airport road from Tripunithura (via Kakkanad to Kalamassery) to get on to NH47. Also don't go till Angamaly as shown on the map - Instead take a right turn at Athani junction (towards the airport). Pass the airport on the right and the same road continues on to Kalady.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks