Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2016, 19:12   #9286
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The only issue with both these routes is that you will probably need some navigation assistance if one is unfamiliar with the area. The route via Tripunithura would be easier to navigate - so if at all you choose to go that way, would suggest taking the Seaport-Airport road from Tripunithura (via Kakkanad to Kalamassery) to get on to NH47.
This is the main reason, why I suggested the NH47 route. But I have no idea of traffic. Good that you brought it up.

PS: You been missing in action for a some time now?

Last edited by ampere : 22nd January 2016 at 19:16.
Old 22nd January 2016, 22:02   #9287
BHPian

Ampere, Kala thanks v much! So we decided to drop Vaikom as seniors are fatigued already. Hence proceeding to Guruvayur via Edapally, Aluva route. Hoping the traffic will be kind. Plan to start by 7am to get some advantage. Will post road and traffic conditions later. Vaikom and Kalady another time.
Cheers
Old 22nd January 2016, 22:10   #9288
BHPian

Re: Vaikom - Bangalore drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
How is the taste? Did you try with chilled, normal or hot water?
ORS is the 'oral rehydration solution' that people consume when they have dehydration due to any reason like a dysentery. ORS in tetrapacks are available in medical stores now.

I found it is a convenient and efficient way to stay hydrated during travel, without stopping frequently for attending nature's call as when you drink a lot of plain water.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 22:22   #9289
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Ampere, Kala thanks v much! So we decided to drop Vaikom as seniors are fatigued already. Hence proceeding to Guruvayur via Edapally, Aluva route. Hoping the traffic will be kind. Plan to start by 7am to get some advantage. Will post road and traffic conditions later. Vaikom and Kalady another time.
Cheers
I think in that case you should have just stuck to the 4-lane from Tripunithura all the way to Trichur.And then go past Trichur and take the Choondal road.
Old 23rd January 2016, 10:23   #9290
Distinguished - BHPian

Read in today's paper that the new Kuttipuram (Mini Pamba)- Puthu ponnani road was officially inaugurated today. This road was initially conceptualized more than 15 year as per the report.

This would give people headed to Guruvayoor, Kochi and beyond from North Kerala another good alternative to connect to the Ponnani-Chavakkad route from Kuttipuram. Today one has to go via Tirur-Chamravattom or Edappal-Ponnani.

I think it will help take some load of the Parappanangadi-Tirur-Chamravattom stretch and also the Edapal-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayoor stretch.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 13:34   #9291
rkg
Senior - BHPian

I have seen this temple/goddess image on the INTERNET. It was mentioned as Pisharikkal Bhagawathy temple, Near Thrissur. But some guy was stating it was a photo shopped image as no such statue was there in the said temple at Pisharikkal Bhagavathy temple.
Google maps show it near Chalakudy and there is no river or any water body near to the temple.

Does anyone have an idea about the exact location of this place , as i would like to visit it.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-pisharikkal-bhagavathy-temple.jpg  

Last edited by rkg : 23rd January 2016 at 13:35.
Old 23rd January 2016, 14:54   #9292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
I have seen this temple/goddess image on the INTERNET. It was mentioned as Pisharikkal Bhagawathy temple, Near Thrissur.
My guess is that it is a photoshopped pic.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 19:02   #9293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think in that case you should have just stuck to the 4-lane from Tripunithura all the way to Trichur.And then go past Trichur and take the Choondal road.

Yes Ampere that's what we did. Left Alleppey around 7.30am, deviated after Aluva to Kalady, spent 1 hour there and made it via Thrissur to Guruvayur by 1.30pm. In between before Aluva stopped for 20 minutes for a tea break. The roads were good and traffic easy. Thanks for the tips! Yes the roads around Edapally due to Metro works is below par but way, way better than what happens in Bengaluru Metro areas.

Cheers
Old 23rd January 2016, 19:55   #9294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Read in today's paper that the new Kuttipuram (Mini Pamba)- Puthu ponnani road was officially inaugurated today. This road was initially conceptualized more than 15 year as per the report.
I think this new road is not on google maps yet. Could any one familiar with the route post some directions or places on the way that would help locate this route?
Old 23rd January 2016, 20:16   #9295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Does anyone have an idea about the exact location of this place , as i would like to visit it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My guess is that it is a photoshopped pic.
The image is from the set made for Raavan by Mani Ratnam. AFAIK, no such temple exists there. And the location is indeed Athirappilly Falls near Chalakkudy
Klub Class is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 20:25   #9296
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
The image is from the set made for Raavan by Mani Ratnam. AFAIK, no such temple exists there. And the location is indeed Athirappilly Falls near Chalakkudy
+1. Its the base of Athirapally falls. And to the best of my knowledge there is nothing down there.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 20:35   #9297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think this new road is not on google maps yet. Could any one familiar with the route post some directions or places on the way that would help locate this route?
It's simple, when coming from Calicut side, once you cross the kuttipuram bridge, the highway curves to the left( the temple called mini pamba) is at this point. This new road starts on the right side. It will be kind of a Y with the current highway. The kuttipuram bridge is difficult to miss and would be your landmark.

Note: it is not a completely new connection to ponnani, there already existed a road to ponnani which takes of a km after kuttipuram bridge. This is narrow, condition has generally been bad and is a roundabout.

Edit: I just plotted kuttipuram-kochi and it is plotting via the new stretch

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 23rd January 2016 at 20:37.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 21:27   #9298
Senior - BHPian

The final stretch (Vengalam-Pooladikkunnu) of Calicut Bypass is open to public after inauguration by Chief Minister on last Friday

Highlights (collated from several news articles in The Hindu and Deccan Chronicle) :
  • First National Highway in the country to be fully funded by the State government
  • Constructed by Vadakara based Uralungal Labour Contract Cooperative Society - ULCCS
  • The work was completed in 15 months (much before the deadline)
  • Distance - 5.1 km (two lane - 45m wide)
  • Two bridges - Korappuzha Bridge (445 m - longest bridge in northern Kerala) and Purakkatteri Bridge (185 m)
  • Three junctions - Vengalam, Paloramala and Pooladikunnu with traffic signals and high mast lighting.
  • Three entries, Four underpasses and Sixteen culverts.
  • Service roads except at the river portion

GPS Coordinates :

11.371382,75.740057 - Vengalam End

11.360285,75.747321 - Korappuzha Bridge

11.340067,75.758849 - Purakkatteri Bridge

11.335344,75.762446 - Pooladikkunnu End

Google Maps : https://goo.gl/iB3L6k

During my drives over the last one week, the road was closed from both ends. May be someone from the group can update us with more details (hotels and other facilities enroute)

Somewhere along the final stretch of the bypass. Picture clicked by my friend before it was officially opened to public :

All Roads to Kerala-img20160114wa0036.jpg

Intersection at Vengalam (PC : Deccan Chronicle)

All Roads to Kerala-20160116060328.jpg
Klub Class is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 01:58   #9299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
It's simple, when coming from Calicut side, once you cross the kuttipuram bridge, the highway curves to the left( the temple called mini pamba) is at this point. This new road starts on the right side. It will be kind of a Y with the current highway. The kuttipuram bridge is difficult to miss and would be your landmark.

Note: it is not a completely new connection to ponnani, there already existed a road to ponnani which takes of a km after kuttipuram bridge. This is narrow, condition has generally been bad and is a roundabout.

Edit: I just plotted kuttipuram-kochi and it is plotting via the new stretch
This new road has been open for more than a month now - I had taken it in early December and reported it here as well ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3871706 )
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2016, 09:12   #9300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
The final stretch (Vengalam-Pooladikkunnu) of Calicut Bypass is open to public after inauguration by Chief Minister on last Friday
The opening of pooladikunnu-Vengalam stretch is a huge boon for commuters on NH66. The bypass (till now) via Atholi-Purakkattiri had lot of narrow to very narrow stretches which used to get jammed frequently. The junction inside Atholi town itself was a very narrow one and in the absence of a policeman there, it used to be a mess. Now its like an arrow straight road from Vengalam to Ramanattukara. There are speed cameras along the stretch though. I am still not sure what is the speed limit. The sign boards still say 70kmph but as per the current rule in Kerala, it should be 85 KMPH as it is part of a national highway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks