Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2016, 14:31   #9376
BHPian

Add additional police (election commission) checkpoints ,due to upcoming election. Instead if 2AM, I would suggest a 4AM start, so that you get a 6 hour sleep before starting. 4 AM ensures that you pass Salem before city wakes up. By 10-11 AM you can reach Walayar and drive comfortable on day time. Even if your baby wakes up in the last leg of journey, it won't be of much issue. A 2AM start converts to no sleep, due to the associated tensions. ☺
mykal shoemaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 14:46   #9377
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Hence we are planning to start around 2:00 AM and planning to take NH7 and NH47 and my last road trip on this route was on early January.
We do this once in three months for last few years, with my baby (now he is 4 years old). We always start by 3.15-3.30 AM, and reach sharavana bhavan by 6-6.15. Couple of times, we were the first guys to reach there This is the best place to change the napkin and freshen up your baby.
After a break of around 30-45 mins, driving sedately, we have always managed to reach Irinjalakuda by 11.30-12.00.

I have always felt that 3.00 - 3.30 is the sweet spot for starting an early morning drive since the truck traffic will be at a lull and you can use the conditions to the best and can cover a good distance before you stop for breakfast.
Starting earlier than 3.00, you will be encountering more truck traffic, and you will be compromising on your sleep, so may end up getting fatigued earlier.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 16:51   #9378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
We do this once in three months
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Add additional police (election commission) checkpoints
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
[/list]I've started a few trips in Jan-Feb at 1:00 AM.
Thank you folks! Those are really helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
2. I am hoping you are taking your baby in a properly attached car seat. drive sedatively, even with smaller speed you will average higher kilometers at early morning time.
We bought her a new infant seat recently, planning to take her on a spin this weekend to see how comfortable she is and to check how good she can adapt to the new seat.
Even Saravana Bhavan is our Breakfast stop on our usual trips and they can be relied on any day for an early breakfast .
Cheers!

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 18:45   #9379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Even Saravana Bhavan is our Breakfast stop on our usual trips and they can be relied on any day for an early breakfast
The Saravana Bhavan at Vaikundam (before the toll, on the left side) and Sree Saravana Bhavan Classic (after the turn-off to Sankari town, on the right side) did not serve breakfast before 6 o'clock when I'd done the overnighters. With a 1 o'clock start, you will be closer to Neelambur at around that time. I'd once stopped at a decent "-Bhavan" veg restaurant a short distance before the L&T bypass. You may want to try that instead.

If you're headed to Thrissur, you may consider the Avinashi-Mangalam-Pollachi-Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy route too, for a smoother drive
Old 18th March 2016, 19:41   #9380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you're headed to Thrissur, you may consider the Avinashi-Mangalam-Pollachi-Vadakkenchery-Mannuthy route too, for a smoother drive
This used to be my route earlier, but with the current road conditions of Salem-Coimbatore-Walayar-palakkad-Vadakkancherry, I do not see any benefit in taking this route anymore. The only bad stretch if you take the Coimbatore is after the L&T bypass and that stretch is manageable in daylight.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 15:56   #9381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sree Saravana Bhavan Classic (after the turn-off to Sankari town, on the right side) did not serve breakfast before 6 o'clock when I'd done the overnighters.

Sree Saravana Bhavan Classic didn't have anything ready at 7:15 AM when I stopped there few weeks back.

I wouldn't take Pollachi route any more. The only bad stretch is the walayar to CBE bypass section, but can easily do in 20-25 minutes. This detour is not worth, especially when travelling with an infant.
Old 19th March 2016, 17:01   #9382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
<snip>.......</snip>

Took Thenmala-Kulathupuzha-Madathara-Kadakkal-Nilamel. Road is broken in bits and pieces, fair in others, I would rate it a 5-7 on a scale of 10; no major issues I can recall. I turned off after Nilamel, don't know how the Nilamel-Parippally-Varkala stretch is, haven't traveled recently; but considering the general condition of roads in Varkala constituency, I don't think you will have any trouble.
I did a recent drive through Kulathuppuzha - Anchal- Chadayamangalam- Pallickal - Kallambalam stretch and it is in very good condition.
mykal shoemaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 18:07   #9383
BHPian

Quote:
The Saravana Bhavan at Vaikundam (before the toll, on the left side) I'd once stopped at a decent "-Bhavan" veg restaurant a short distance before the L&T bypass. You may want to try that instead.
I was referring to THIS Hotel Sree Saravana Bhavan but then those were during my usual drives starting at 4AM from Kammanahalli.

This time around will try our luck with the one that you had mentioned before L&T bye pass. Please ping if you remember the name by any chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I wouldn't take Pollachi route any more. The only bad stretch is the walayar to CBE bypass section, but can easily do in 20-25 minutes. This detour is not worth, especially when travelling with an infant.
Even I'm sticking with Coimbatore ~ Palakkad stretch for the last few trips.

Cheers!
Old 24th March 2016, 10:48   #9384
Senior - BHPian

Folks.. any update on the Palakkad-Perinthalmanna-Nilamboor-Vazhikadavu-Goodallur route? It has been very long since I travelled on that road. Most likely driving solo on Sunday, and hence thought I can try that route.
Old 24th March 2016, 11:46   #9385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Folks.. any update on the Palakkad-Perinthalmanna-Nilamboor-Vazhikadavu-Goodallur route? It has been very long since I travelled on that road. Most likely driving solo on Sunday, and hence thought I can try that route.
Nothing to worry about in Palakkad-Perinthalmanna-Nilambur-Vazhikadavu.

Road from Vazhikadavu upto KL-TN border are recently repaired and in very good condition. From the border till Nadugani junction there are a few bad patches where you need to be careful. Beyond that it is quite good till Gudalur and beyond. My Calicut-Bangalore trip report from Feb last week is in the relevant thread.

Last edited by binand : 24th March 2016 at 11:48.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 17:28   #9386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Palakkad-Mannarkkad-Melattur-Pandikkad-Nilambur may be a slightly better option with respect to traffic. Less of maniac buses and avoids Perinthalmanna.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 11:10   #9387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Palakkad-Mannarkkad-Melattur-Pandikkad-Nilambur may be a slightly better option with respect to traffic. Less of maniac buses and avoids Perinthalmanna.
The route via Karuvarakkundu from Melattur to Nilambur is also good - rubberised tarmac for most of the section and also sees less traffic.
mallumowgli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 15:16   #9388
BHPian

Folks, planning to visit Guruvayur from Mysore mid April. Google maps showing two routes one via Kalpetta and the other via Gudalur and Nilambur. Which is the preferred option? Planning to start early on Saturday and return back Sunday evening.

Last edited by C300 : 25th March 2016 at 15:17. Reason: formatting
Old 25th March 2016, 17:29   #9389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Folks, planning to visit Guruvayur from Mysore mid April. Google maps showing two routes one via Kalpetta and the other via Gudalur and Nilambur. Which is the preferred option? Planning to start early on Saturday and return back Sunday evening.
Gudalur - Nilambur should be the best option. With roads in the forest repaired, should be a comfortable drive.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 17:39   #9390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Gudalur route should be the shorter option. There are reports that the roads are repaired now. You should start around 4.30-4.45 AM so that you reach the checkpost just in time for the checkpost opening and can cover some distance in Kerala before traffic picks up. Similarly return you should plan to reach the checkpost before 9pm.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks