Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2016, 11:09   #9436
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix View Post
Hi
I am planning a road trip from Chennai to Guruvayur on April 9th and want advice on the best routes to take.

While Chennai to Palakkad is recommended by others in the forum, I am undecided on the following options from Palakkad to Guruvayur-

1. Palakad-Ottapalam-Shornur-Wadakkanchery-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur

2. Palakad- Thrissur-Guruvayur

Request advise on the best route for the palakkad-guruvayur segment, criteria being good tarmac, 4 lane highway.

Thanks in advance
In my opinion below will be the best option with good tarmac for the entire stretch.
Palakkad (Chandranagar) ~ Alathur ~ Wadakkanchery ~ Kuranchery ~ Kechery ~ Guruvayoor.

Here is the LINK to Google Map.

Not only this route is shortest it is also relatively less in traffic all along.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-palakkad-guruvayur.png  

treadmark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 14:40   #9437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
What will be the best route from Ettumanoor to Sabarimala ?
Ettumanur - Pala - Kanjirappally - Erumely - Pamba is recommended. Good roads all the way.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 17:03   #9438
Senior - BHPian

Drove to Perumbavur on Friday (8/4). Started from Bangalore at 4:15 AM and reached home at 1:45 PM after 530km. About 1.5 hours went in breakfast and breaks.

All toll booths were crowded but most I could clear in approx. 10 minutes. Krishnagiri-Salem was so crowded that I felt at least 8 lanes are necessary for this stretch. On the other hand there are 6 functional lanes between Bhavani and Coimbatore which made this stretch a breeze. I hated the Coimbatore bypass where everyone tries to play chicken with everyone else. Somewhere near the TN-KL border I ended up on the service lane where there was a massive speedbreaker which my poor Civic couldn't negotiate; had to turn back and somehow manage to clear that spot. Everything is fine once we cross into Kerala till Vadakkanchery, where the 4-lane ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
the only suspect section is between vadakencheri and mannuthy which you should be able to cover in about 40mins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
except for the Vadakkancherry/Mannuthy stretch, it should be fairly good.
This stretch was an unmitigated disaster. At no point did I cross 30 kmph. There was an infinite stream of vehicles coming the opposite way, and both sides of the single available carriageway were dug up to widen the road. I was behind a truck carrying auto rickshaws, and the ones behind me were getting impatient with my pusillanimous driving. Looked to me as if they'll need the rest of the year to complete the Vadakkanchery-Mannuthy stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Palakkad (Chandranagar) ~ Alathur ~ Wadakkanchery ~ Kuranchery ~ Kechery ~ Guruvayoor.
So to avoid both the problem zones, this is how I plan to return. Wadakkancherry-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi and then onwards to NH47 somewhere.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 20:26   #9439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Thanks Ranjit. How is the road from Hubli onward in terms of quality of surface and also traffic.

Also what about the Pune-Kolhapur stretch, there were a lot of flyovers under construction when i travelled around an year and a half back. Is it complete now?
Road surface is good no problems with that but traffic is going to be dense post Kumta.widening is still in progress on nh4 but you shouldn't have any major problems there.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 22:50   #9440
Distinguished - BHPian

Cochin - Trivandrum - Nagercoil

We took the Cochin - Trivandrum - Nagercoil stretch this morning. Started from Cochin(Near Infopark) at 4:30 AM and we were able to cover 140 Kms in the first two hours. Crossing all the towns was a breeze. Reached Trivandrum airport by 8:00 AM. Roads were good almost throughout except couple of stretches of 10Km each, but still we were able to maintain 50-60. Took poovar route to nagercoil and reached Nagercoil by 10:10 AM. So, it took 5 hours and 40 mins inclusive of a 30mins break.

Something that slowed us down was the huge number of ambulances which crossed due to the unfortunate fire incident near kollam. Atleast 30-40 ambulances passed by us in both directions. Initially we thought, it could be a train mishap as there were no traffic blockage on the road but later came to know about this fire cracker accident.

So, starting early helped us big time i think.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 14:55   #9441
BHPian

Re: Cochin - Trivandrum - Nagercoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post

Took poovar route to nagercoil and reached Nagercoil by 10:10 AM. So, it took 5 hours and 40 mins inclusive of a 30mins break.
How was the Trivandrum - Nagarcoil section via Poovar? Is this route has wide roads?
Old 11th April 2016, 18:36   #9442
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cochin - Trivandrum - Nagercoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
How was the Trivandrum - Nagarcoil section via Poovar? Is this route has wide roads?
Its a narrow two-laned road till Kaliakkavilai, but very much manageable. After that its a wide two-lane. Roads are good throughout.
Old 11th April 2016, 19:49   #9443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Drove to Perumbavur on Friday (8/4). Started from Bangalore at 4:15 AM and reached home at 1:45 PM after 530km. About 1.5 hours went in breakfast and breaks.

So to avoid both the problem zones, this is how I plan to return. Wadakkancherry-Alathur-Kollengode-Pollachi and then onwards to NH47 somewhere.
In comparison, I started from Bangalore (Whitefield) 415 AM on Saturday and was at Chalakudi by 11:30AM (including 55 mts break). Traffic was very smooth all along.

If you are starting early on your return from Perumbavoor, you shouldn't face any issues. Try to start in such away that you are at Mannuthy at sunrise.

Regarding your earlier point on Ugadi, I am not very close on the details of celebration, but I took almost 12 hours to cover the same distance on last year Ugadi..with most of the time lost around Salem in road blocks in the evening.
Old 11th April 2016, 22:16   #9444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
If you are starting early on your return from Perumbavoor, you shouldn't face any issues. Try to start in such away that you are at Mannuthy at sunrise.
I find the Vadakkanchery-Mannuthy stretch quite scary, to be honest. Since I'm returning on a Sunday, thinking of Nilambur-Ch. Nagar route too.
Old 12th April 2016, 09:08   #9445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I find the Vadakkanchery-Mannuthy stretch quite scary, to be honest. Since I'm returning on a Sunday, thinking of Nilambur-Ch. Nagar route too.
I am returning on next Sunday as well...but from calicut. Current plan is to reach Gundlupet by 8 AM and then take NH 209
Old 12th April 2016, 18:50   #9446
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys, please suggest the best route from Ernakulam to Kozhikode.

Route 1: Vytilla > Kodungallur > Ponnani > Chamravattom bridge > Tirur > Chaliyam > Feroke > Mananchira Square

Route 2: Vytilla > Kodungallur > Ponnani > Kuttipuram > Kottakkal > Ramanattukara > Mananchira Square

Route 3: Vytilla > Angamaly > Thrissur > Kunnamkulam > Edappal > Tirur > Chaliyam > Feroke > Mananchira Square

Will be starting from Vytilla at 4 AM. Inclined towards Route 1 due to the metro works till Aluva.

Looking for the fastest route and good roads. A longer distance is fine too. So, welcome other suggestions too.
Old 12th April 2016, 19:15   #9447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

Route 1: Vytilla > Kodungallur > Ponnani > Chamravattom bridge > Tirur > Chaliyam > Feroke > Mananchira Square

Will be starting from Vytilla at 4 AM. Inclined towards Route 1 due to the metro works till Aluva.

Looking for the fastest route and good roads. A longer distance is fine too. So, welcome other suggestions too.
Route 1. That's what I prefer if travelling early morning or late night. Hardly any traffic and distance also saved plus the benefit of straight stretches. It never feels like a Cochin-Kozhikode drive when you take this route as you reach effortlessly. Buy once traffic starts, its better to take the Kodungallur route and join Bharathapuzha bridge at Kuttipuram via the new road. I do take NH47 but for day drives only and if I have stop over at Trishur. Right now roads are good whichever route you take.

Are you gonna be in Calicut or passing by?

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 12th April 2016 at 19:17. Reason: Added info.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 20:20   #9448
Senior - BHPian

^
Thank You! That's really helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Are you gonna be in Calicut or passing by?
We are passing by. Enroute Wayanad. Planning for breakfast at the Paragon Restaurant. Please feel free to join us if you are free. This 14th morning!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 20:50   #9449
BHPian

Quote:
^
Thank You! That's really helpful.

We are passing by. Enroute Wayanad. Planning for breakfast at the Paragon Restaurant. Please feel free to join us if you are free. This 14th morning!
After Parappanangadi (and before Vallikunnu), you could take a right turn (its a T junction which is easy to miss) which has a level crossing soon after the turn and join NH17 at Chelari. When driving to Cochin taking this route I take this diversion from NH17 but on my way back I usually miss this turn that's why didn't recommend it but if you could take that turn to reach NH17, you could use the bypass and reach Mavoor road at Thondayad signal from where you could take a free left.

Thanks, that's very kind of you. Not for breakfast but I will meet you at Paragon if I'm in Calicut that morning. Since its Vishu, have to check where the family gathering is this time. If not, I will meet you at Cochin. Will be driving down weekend or next week.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 12th April 2016 at 20:55. Reason: Typo
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 21:47   #9450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Route 2: Vytilla > Kodungallur > Ponnani > Kuttipuram > Kottakkal > Ramanattukara > Mananchira Square
Route 3: Vytilla > Angamaly > Thrissur > Kunnamkulam > Edappal > Tirur > Chaliyam > Feroke > Mananchira Square

Just some feedback on the Tirur-Calicut stretch. I normally take the Chaliyam Feroke route during peak hours to avoid the NH 17 chaos. One disadvantage of this route is the relatively narrow stretch between Chaliyam and Ferok. In addition, with this route, you need to cross the narrow, old Ferok bridge to join NH 17 (Or take a round about via Ferok town). You will also not be able to take the Calicut By-pass and enter the city from Thondayad.

Since you are starting early and considering it is Vishu day, personally I would recommend route 2. Or if you still prefer route 1, would still recommend turning off after Parappanagadi at Chettipadi (as ajaypjayaraj mentioned) and joining NH17 at Chelari. Chettipadi is the 2nd major jn after crossing Parappanangadi.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks