Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2016, 10:17   #9526
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
How are the roads from kumily to kottayam? Is there any roadwork going on?

We ( my wife, 2 little boys and me) would be traveling in a VW Vento. Are there any things we should look out for?
Please advise.
Road from Kumily to Kottayam and then to Kumarakom is in excellent condition. I travelled this route about a couple of months back. Nothing to worry in taking Vento.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 09:36   #9527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Road from Kumily to Kottayam and then to Kumarakom is in excellent condition. I travelled this route about a couple of months back. Nothing to worry in taking Vento.
Thanks a lot for the update. I hope the weather stays fine.
Old 24th May 2016, 13:10   #9528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Thanks a lot for the update. I hope the weather stays fine.

In August, if monsoon stays on schedule, you will have heavy rains from Theni onwards. In Kerala, unless you are prepared fully, it will be hectic driving through rains and even good roads will difficult. Cheers
Old 25th May 2016, 10:05   #9529
BHPian

A quick update from my recent Bangalore/ Edappally trip:

May 20, 2016 Bangalore - Edappally (via Shoranur for some local visits in and around)

Route: Bangalore - Salem - Neelambur - Walayar - Palakkad - Shoranur - Thrissur - Kuttanaloor - Edappally

Bangalore - Neelambur: Smooth ride. No updates.
Neelambur - Walayar: Lot of progress since my last trip a few months back but no work in progress now. It also seemed a bit confusing to me with both sides seemingly done at places, but no clear indications on which one to take. Road surface is ok in most places with a few rough patches.
Walayar - Palakkad: Smooth ride. No updates.
Palakkad - Shoranur: Took the Palakkad - Mankara road instead of the regular Palakkad - Ottappalam highway. Good surface, very scenic, low traffic and was a good change from the busy highway.
Ottappalam - Shoranur: Smooth ride. No updates.
Shoranur - Thrissur: Smooth ride. No updates.
There is a new restaurant Madurai Veg open in Thrissur. It is on the left just before the road forks at Peringavu (start of the bypass on Shoranur - Thrissur road). Seemed a popular place based on the crowd. Food was decent, clean place with good parking.
Thrissur - Edappally (via Kuttanaloor): Good ride till Aluva though traffic is ever on the rise in this section. Lot of signals making this almost a city road now rather than a highway. Aluva to Edappally is still a pain, though better than before, with ongoing metro work. Road surface is better but lot of unfinished patches near metro pillars on the right and also around stations.

May 24, 2016 Edappally - Bangalore

Route: Edappally - Thrissur - Kuthiran - Vadakkenchery - Walayar - Neelambur - Salem - Bangalore

Thrissur - Kuthiran - Vadakkenchery: Lot of progress in the four lane-ing work between Mannuthy and Kuthiran and after Kuthiran upto Vadakkenchery. Potholes are developing and will have to be careful once rains start. But ride was overall way better than before. At some places, you don't get much shoulder on the left and if faced with a bullying overtaking bus from the other side, you could have a little moment.

Have a good and safe ride.
Mnjdnght is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 16:06   #9530
BHPian

any updates on roads inside thrissur district? particularly in an around cherpu, urakam, peruvanam, kalady, irinjalakuda sectors?
Old 25th May 2016, 20:46   #9531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Basically talks about bandit groups getting active again in the Mysore-Virajpet stretch which is the standard route to Kannur side and also used a lot by travellers headed to wayanad/Calicut side as this is the only route open at night

I'm planning to drive alone from Bangalore to Malappuram via Mysore-Gudallur-Nilambur. I'm starting from Bangalore at 5AM. Do you think I should be worried about this bandit issue in this route for this timing?

Definitely I'll be cautious by following basic preventive measures 1) trying to not fall for their regular tricks, 2) Stopping for breaks only in crowded places, 3) Hiding expensive items etc. Still, I'll be alone and I cannot beat up 10 gundas unlike our movie heroes

Anyone faced or heard about such incidents in this route recently?
Old 25th May 2016, 22:05   #9532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post

I'm planning to drive alone from Bangalore to Malappuram via Mysore-Gudallur-Nilambur. I'm starting from Bangalore at 5AM. Do you think I should be worried about this bandit issue in this route for this timing?
I don't think you need to worry, the reported incident happened 2-3am time frame and in the Hunsur-Virajpet stretch. There was also a report the next day indicating that the gang was caught.

With 5am start, there will be plenty of traffic so nothing to worry. In fact, my preferred start is 4-4.30am.
Old 26th May 2016, 09:50   #9533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post

Don't worry, Gudalur-Nilambur route is very safe even for solo drivers during the daytime. You won't find any isolated stretches. The TN police at the border may check your car thoroughly though.
Old 26th May 2016, 10:44   #9534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Don't worry, Gudalur-Nilambur route is very safe even for solo drivers during the daytime. You won't find any isolated stretches. The TN police at the border may check your car thoroughly though.
TN stretch is fine. But, I remember hearing similar news last year for Mysore - Bandipur stretch. I guess, it should be safe during day. Just wanted to check with you guys.
Old 26th May 2016, 12:04   #9535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
In August, if monsoon stays on schedule, you will have heavy rains from Theni onwards. In Kerala, unless you are prepared fully, it will be hectic driving through rains and even good roads will difficult. Cheers
That would complicate things,but also add to the romance;-)
Old 29th May 2016, 20:54   #9536
BHPian

Fellow travelers, any updates on the Mannuthy-Vadakkencherry-Palakkad route?

Last year, we traveled to Thrissur through this route, and it was absolutely disgusting. Potholes everywhere, under construction roads, diversions galore, coupled with mad traffic made for an extremely exhausting drive in the final hours before reaching Thrissur.

We are in Thrissur right now, and will be returning to Chennai in a week's time, so wanted to know if this route can be driven on.

While coming to Thrissur this time, we followed the Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur route, and it was smooth sailing all the way with nary a bump in between.
Old 29th May 2016, 21:07   #9537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
I took this route last Friday and it was not bad at all. I crossed this stretch at around 10am and apart from the usual traffic it was smooth sail. A few potholes are around Kuthiran and where the road widening happening, esp where the rocky hills are being excavated.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 23:36   #9538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
any updates on roads inside thrissur district? particularly in an around cherpu, urakam, peruvanam, kalady, irinjalakuda sectors?
All of them are holding good so far,its been raining consistently in and around Thrissur from around the 20th and hope they stay good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
The Shoranur route is any day a better one as opposed to the NH47.The kuthiran route is just a gamble,you could be stuck in a jam for hours on end for no good reason.Absolutely no road shoulder between mannuthy and vadakkencheri.road works and the rains are just going to compound the matter.if you are on a long drive and time is precious,take the shoranur route or the pazhayannur-alathur-nh47 route.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 10:09   #9539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I took this route last Friday and ... A few potholes are around Kuthiran and where the road widening happening, esp where the rocky hills are being excavated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The Shoranur route is any day a better one as opposed to the NH47.The kuthiran route is just a gamble...Absolutely no road shoulder between mannuthy and vadakkencheri.road works and the rains are just going to compound the matter...
Thank you for the feedback, gentlemen . Looks like the Shoranur route remains the preferred choice if peaceful travel is on the agenda

OT: The weather in Kerala is so amazing right now. Barely any heat, frequent showers, cloudy skies but fairly low humidity, wish we could stay for longer. Just dreading the thought of going back to Chennai in a week.
Old 30th May 2016, 22:46   #9540
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
..no road shoulder between mannuthy and vadakkencheri.road works and the rains are just going to compound the matter.if you are on a long drive and time is precious,take the shoranur route or the pazhayannur-alathur-nh47 route.
How are the roads on the pazhayanur alathur route ...width, traffic, surface etc? According to Google it takes about 30 minutes more than the regular Palakkad - Shoranur - Trichur stretch - would that be accurate ?

With no-shoulders and the rains coming in, the regular route is now a high risk area.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks