Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2016, 11:27   #9556
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Work has not resumed. Halted or abandoned - I dont know! No flyovers opened. However, thankfully, the entire stretch is motor-able without much of a problem
That is really bad news. Is it possible to get some updates from locals?
Old 1st June 2016, 11:29   #9557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
That is really bad news. Is it possible to get some updates from locals?
Well, Iam a local. LOL!!! But no one knows anything. As I said earlier, it maybe a fallout of the Kolkata flyover collapse, where the same contractor, IVRCL is implicated
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 11:41   #9558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
There were reports that the work in halted. Has work resumed now?
When I travelled in mid of April the flyovers were not open. Is it open now?
I did not see any active work going on.

Small correction: The flyover is open for those coming towards Coimbatore. The entry is blocked by a pile of sand, and it has become flat now through which all the vehicles pass through.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 09:54   #9559
BHPian

Just back from an extensive interior trip to thrissur district. Rains have started and the lashing is particularly severe. Take precautions if stuck in monsoon.
Highway - NH47 is great all the all from walayar to vadakkencherry. From there its a horror ride till thrisshivaperur bypass. The multitude of private buses like jijumon, shamsha, saranam ayyappa travels etc show no respect to oncoming traffic. In Kuthiran stretch, the road is good but the buses are again reckless. paliakara toll booth till kalady is excellent. there are 4 signals on the highway :o. and their stoppage times are >60 secs. Especially in the koratty stretch one has to be very careful encountering the signal.
Interior roads- these are holding up, but not for long, already small patches of potholes of 1/2 feet depth has started in ollur, cherpu, kolathur, irinjalakuda roads. low GC cars need special care while driving on these interior roads.
Kerala is a beauty during monsoons. Its lush green cover, trees, paddy fields water bodies are all amazing. hope it remains the same. The vadakkencherry to thrishivaperur where they are widening the roads by blasting the mountains was a sad sight to see. Infact with rains now, and water filling up the sides, one needs to be careful while giving way.

PS: the flyover near marapalam in outskirts of coimbatore is not open. its still in the ghost state. its a horrendous roundabout now.

Last edited by FuelInjector : 6th June 2016 at 09:57.
FuelInjector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 17:11   #9560
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need help. I am planning a Munnar-Thekkady trip between 1st & 2nd week of July for 4 to 5 days. How would be weather during the time and is it suggested during this period. Planning with wife & daughter (2.8 years).

I would be driving from Bangalore.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
KK
Old 6th June 2016, 17:24   #9561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
I am planning a Munnar-Thekkady trip between 1st & 2nd week of July for 4 to 5 days. How would be weather during the time and is it suggested during this period.
It will be very wet and pouring. Landslides and blockages on hilly roads are a distinct possibility. Quite likely that your holiday would be a washout. :-)

On the other hand, Kerala during monsoons is a sight to behold. Lush greenery all round.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 17:27   #9562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Need help. I am planning a Munnar-Thekkady trip between 1st & 2nd week of July for 4 to 5 days. How would be weather during the time and is it suggested during this period. Planning with wife & daughter (2.8 years).

I would be driving from Bangalore.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
KK
Considering that it is monsoon time in Kerala, might as well look at Kodaikanal as one of the options.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 17:31   #9563
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Need help. I am planning a Munnar-Thekkady trip between 1st & 2nd week of July for 4 to 5 days. How would be weather during the time and is it suggested during this period.
This is generally the time when the monsoon in Kerala is usually at it's peak with heavy rains. It's also the off-season time for the resorts and hotels.
If you enjoy the rains, Munnar will be beautiful but if sight-seeing is the top priority, think twice. If the plan is to take it easy and relax, it will be an enjoyable trip.
At Thekkady, I'm not sure if the boat rides will be available on rainy days, and if you'll be able to spot any wildlife at all during the rains.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 10:45   #9564
Senior - BHPian

Finally someone has some news - even if it is just bad news about the Madukkarai-Walayar stretch

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...?homepage=true

Means no one knows when the work will resume now. Thankfully it is not because of the Kolkatta flyover collapse, which would have indefinitely delayed the project
mallumowgli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 11:02   #9565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Finally someone has some news - even if it is just bad news about the Madukkarai-Walayar stretch

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...?homepage=true

Means no one knows when the work will resume now. Thankfully it is not because of the Kolkatta flyover collapse, which would have indefinitely delayed the project
Thanks for the update. Hopefully things will improve
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 23:58   #9566
BHPian

Friends one specific question. Planning to drive to Kottayam from Chennai. Considering the fact that Monsoon has started is it difficult to drive through Kumari route? What are the other options?
Old 14th June 2016, 23:43   #9567
Senior - BHPian

And here is the full architecture of future and present Kuthiran on NH47 between vadakkencheri and thrissur.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-img20160614wa0039.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-img20160614wa0041.jpg  

ranjitp1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 08:44   #9568
Distinguished - BHPian

Any data on expected completion timeframes for this? How much additional time savings can we expect for palakkad thrissur (In addition to the natural time saving due to 4 lane)?
Old 15th June 2016, 09:30   #9569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Any data on expected completion timeframes for this? How much additional time savings can we expect for palakkad thrissur (In addition to the natural time saving due to 4 lane)?
I read somewhere that the tunnels will reduce the distance by 3 KMS.
We can expect a reduction of around 20 mins during day time.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 09:49   #9570
BHPian

Oh no. just saw this pic of them building a tunnel. This is really sad as i loved the circuitous route along the ghat road in kuthiran. We have our mandatory stop over at the ayyappa temple on top of the hillock. Get a peaceful 15 minute break and then used to proceed towards thrisshivaperur.
now they are going to build a tunnel, put a toll (maybe). if the old route would still exist, i would always take the old route if am driving

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks