Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2016, 12:27   #9586
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Any recent updates on conditions of the following roads.

Valanchery -koppam-pattambi

Kuttippuram - kumbidi- trithala- pattambi.

My last trip on these sections was around a year back.
Old 3rd July 2016, 22:46   #9587
Senior - BHPian

Had gone to Kerala this weekend. Since I got a new dashcam I recorded the entire Kuthiran route (30 km, about 45 minutes), available here:

On return thought I'll take the Shoranur route, but (a) heavy overnight rains on Saturday night meant there were several trees fallen on the road, and (b) kinda lost way and had to rely on Google Maps near Palakkad.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 09:10   #9588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Kuttippuram - kumbidi- trithala- pattambi.
I had driven on this stretch in April.
Kuttipuram-Kumbidi-Thrithala first few Kms had lot of potholes. Condition improved after that and was very good as you approach Thrithala.
Thrithala- Pattambi stretch was in good condition.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 16:57   #9589
BHPian

Friends,
Any update on Cochin-Tvm route?
Should I take NH or MC road?
Or NH till Alleppey , then to Changanassery and continue via MC road, as shown as an option in Google maps?
I intend to leave at 6am tomorrow.
Old 6th July 2016, 17:59   #9590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
Friends,
Any update on Cochin-Tvm route?
Should I take NH or MC road?
Or NH till Alleppey , then to Changanassery and continue via MC road, as shown as an option in Google maps?
I intend to leave at 6am tomorrow.
Avoid MC road. Roads in Alleppy/Kayamkulam are bad, when I passed through it two weeks back. Try NH itself and if going to Kazhakottom, try EKM-Kayamkulam-Adoor-Venjaramoodu-Pothencode-Kazhakootom/Sreekaryam route. You can save about 30 minutes in this routes as you can avoid traffic blocks in Karunagapally, Kollam and Attingal.
ontheroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 19:57   #9591
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a Bangalore-Calicut-Tirur-Bangalore trip over the last few days. To Calicut was via the regular Mysore-Gundlepet-Bathery-Calicut. Return from Tirur was via Nilambur-Gudalur-Mysore. Some small observations.
  • Mysore-Nanjangud work is still in progress, but is a mostly hassle free drive. From the Mysore Outer Ring Road intersection (left ring from Columbia Asia), only 3-4 small deviations remain till Nanjangud. The 2 bigger ones are the 2 bridges-One of which should open in the next few days and the other big one at Nanjangud which still has work pending.
  • Overall, with the left ring of Mysore Ring Road and the 4 laning of Mysore-Nanjangud, the time taken from Columbia Asia Signal to Gundlepet has reduced to around 1 hour. Expect to reduce a further 10min once work is fully complete.
  • No major surprises rest of the way to Calicut. Smooth roads throughout. Only point of worry is that small potholes have again started appearing in the hairpin 9 and 8 of the Wayanad Ghat. This is in spite of major repair done with great fanfare in December.
  • Monsoon seems to have started taking a toll on roads in Malappuram Dt. Although still 95% great, random bad patches and pot holes have started appearing.
  • On the return from Tirur, was confused between taking the Nilambur Route or the longer but slightly faster Palakkad Salem Route (which has been my preference during the times when the Gudalur Theppakadu Stretch was in very bad condition). But since the stretch had been repaired and was said to be in great condition, decided to take it and was a good decision. Perfect roads and brilliant weather. A small video clip of the Nadugani Ghats and the now pristine Mudumalai forest stretch.
  • Mysore road has lost a lot of humps and is much more predictable. Will post details about that in the relevant thread

Video of the Nadugani Ghat (Apologies for the reduced quality)

Near Theppakadu

All Roads to Kerala-thep1.jpg

This was from the 'to' trip. Gundlepet and its surroundings bathed in a sea of yellow-Sunflowers in full bloom

All Roads to Kerala-sunflower.jpeg

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 6th July 2016 at 20:02.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 21:34   #9592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the return from Tirur decided to take (the Nilambur Route) and was a good decision. Perfect roads and brilliant weather.
Last time I went that way, there were terrible potholes in the stretch between the KL-TN border on the churam and the toll point near Nadugani junction. Have these been filled/repaired now?
Old 6th July 2016, 21:57   #9593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Last time I went that way, there were terrible potholes in the stretch between the KL-TN border on the churam and the toll point near Nadugani junction. Have these been filled/repaired now?
Yes. Has been fully relaid and marked also. The stretch from the check-post to Gudalur has the occasional potholes.

On the downside, this ghat seems to induce motion sickness even in people normally not too prone to it.
Old 6th July 2016, 22:18   #9594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the downside, this ghat seems to induce motion sickness even in people normally not too prone to it.
That's right. Various family members who have been passengers with me have had issues on both Nadugani and Kuttiyadi churams. So I take these routes only if I am alone. These two are exceptionally twisty roads, whereas Thamarassery churam has a fixed number of hair-pin bends that you take very slowly and then long reasonably straight stretches in between.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 21:36   #9595
BHPian

Has anyone taken Theni - Cumbam - Pala Route? How is the road condition?
Old 9th July 2016, 08:11   #9596
Senior - BHPian

Did Blore to Thrissur yesterday.

Must say say a lot of improvement between Coimbatore and Thrissur which made the journey faster. Except for Kuthiraan where traffic was slow and qued up, rest of the journey was fast.

The last time I did this trip two years ago, I felt the distance, this time was much quicker.
Old 9th July 2016, 12:48   #9597
BHPian

Re: Coimbatore Palakkad NH Byepass (L&T)

I was wondering that the Coimbatore to Palakkad stretch has so many tolls now, is it some form of cheating or double taxing? Here is the list I had to pay (one way starting from Kaniyur Plaza)
1. Time: 5.08 PM: Chengapalli to Neelambur: Rs 85
2. Time: 5.24 PM: Neelambur : Rs 31
3. Time: 5.30 PM: Coimbatore (Trichy Salem Plaza): Rs 11
4. Time: 5.34 PM: Coimbatore (Trichy Cochin Plaza): Rs 31

Any body has a opinion here?

Moreover the roads are full of pot holes with no safety lighting or retro reflective illumination, apart from being congested, one wonders what for the toll is being collected.

Last edited by gopa99 : 9th July 2016 at 12:53.
Old 9th July 2016, 14:32   #9598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
2. Time: 5.24 PM: Neelambur : Rs 31
3. Time: 5.30 PM: Coimbatore (Trichy Salem Plaza): Rs 11
4. Time: 5.34 PM: Coimbatore (Trichy Cochin Plaza): Rs 31

Any body has a opinion here?
The first toll you paid (Rs. 31 ) is for the entire stretch. Did you have to pay subsequently? (11 and 31) You just need to show the first receipt to the remaining toll booth operators. Or has it changed now ??

I agree that this stretch is a pain during peak hours, with lot of traffic and no staff at the toll plaza to open additional lanes. Arguments are common and I was stuck on many occasions.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 14:37   #9599
BHPian

ya, there were 2 other toll booths in this same stretch, were they accepted by earlier receipts. But this one, I had to pay.
Old 9th July 2016, 15:02   #9600
BHPian

The ₹31 toll you pay at neelambur (avinashi road) holds good until you exit at madukkarai (palghat road).

You can buy ₹11 toll if you enter at neelambur and exit at ondipudur (Trichy road) and vice versa. This was done to decongest traffic in Avinashi road.

Hope this helps.
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks