Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2016, 15:59   #9601
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Coimbatore Palakkad NH Byepass (L&T)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
ya, there were 2 other toll booths in this same stretch, were they accepted by earlier receipts. But this one, I had to pay.
Looks like you were unaware and those guys just fleeced you. L&T bypass end to end from Neelambur to Madukkarai is Rs.31 so if you paid that at Neelambur you only have to show the receipt at other toll booths till you exit at Madukkarai.
The next toll is now at Walayar.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 08:43   #9602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
The ₹31 toll you pay at neelambur (avinashi road) holds good until you exit at madukkarai (palghat road).
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Looks like you were unaware and those guys just fleeced you.
The next toll is now at Walayar.
in spite of checking with them in local language, I got fleeced.
I wonder how many more must be getting the same cap every minute on that stretch.

I have found this to be an issue even on bangalore tumkur stretch, where one toll receipt could be used at a further toll booth/s, but strangely there is no visual identification or any information that overtly suggests this to the user.
high time, we have a uniform code structured for tolls in this respect. May be I should post this as a complaint in the MOST website along with scan copies of the receipt. Thanks guys for your inputs.
gopa99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 09:56   #9603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder how many more must be getting the same cap every minute on that stretch.
A similar thing happens somewhere on the Bangalore-Pune NH4 (is it the Hubli-Dharwad bypass? One toll receipt for multiple booths). I have been conned there.

If you are coming from Medavakkam and going towards Injambakkam, the toll at Sholinganallur (to simply cross the OMR at a 4-way junction) is Rs. 0. I have paid the full one-way toll several times.

So such shenanigans don't surprise me, and nowadays I am prepared for them.
Old 10th July 2016, 11:30   #9604
BHPian

Quote:
If you have got the toll receipts you can complain to L&T. Don't know how much it helps though. Also post it on the social media if possible.
Old 10th July 2016, 11:34   #9605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
If you have got the toll receipts you can complain to L&T. Don't know how much it helps though. Also post it on the social media if possible.
Thanks. I just scanned and uploaded the copy of the receipts and lodged a complaint in the public grievance portal of the GOI, under the ministry for highways.
htpp://pgportal.gov.in
gopa99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 11:46   #9606
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Did a Bangalore-Calicut-Tirur-Bangalore trip over the last few days. To Calicut was via the regular Mysore-Gundlepet-Bathery-Calicut. Return from Tirur was via Nilambur-Gudalur-Mysore. Some small observations.
Rajeev,

Your video is great, the Nadugani section looks stunning as well as the Thappekadu section.
I just wanted to confirm how's the stretch within the forest area as the last time (almost an year back) there were stretches where the road never existed as well and would have definitely got stuck in case I were in my old Baleno which has a very low Ground clearance, luckily we were in my cousin's car which came out with with very minimal underbelly scrapes.

We never risked taking that route after that and been sticking with the Salem stretch.
unni246 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 12:02   #9607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
I just wanted to confirm how's the stretch within the forest area as the last time (almost an year back) there were stretches where the road never existed
The forest stretch - KA-TN border till Gudalur town - has been completely redone earlier this year (I think around Feb or so).

Edit: You should consider subscribing to the Bangalore-Calicut thread, where all these forest roads are covered extensively and quickly.

Last edited by binand : 10th July 2016 at 12:25.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 17:35   #9608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilophile View Post
I am searching for a route with good roads (where we can do 80 - 90kmph) for most of the journey.

I am thinking of Hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Salem -> Avinashi -> Coimbatore -> Thrisur -> Angamaly -> Thattekad

What do you think about this route?
I saw some suggestions to take state highway at omalur, but also heard it is slower than NH through salem.
The fastest would be along the highway. Total toll amount would work out to 40 (BETL) + 25 (Attibele) + 60 (Krishnagiri) + 86 (Thoppur) + 69 (Omallur) + 49 (Vaikundam) + 47 (Chithode) + 85 (Karumathampatty) + 31 (Neelambur CBE bypass) + 55 (Attappallam/Walayar) + 85 (Mannuthy) = Rs.632. A little hazy on the Mannuthy and Chithode tolls. You can do Attibele-CBE Bypass in about 5 hours. Beyond that it depends on the traffic.

If you take the SH86 route via Omallur, you would cut down the distance by about 15km, but the travel time would remain more or less the same, if you pass the area before 7 o'clock in the morning or after 8 o'clock in the night. Also, there will be a lot of truck traffic that can test your patience on this 2-lane stretch. On the bright side, you can save the Omallur and Vaikundam tolls. The road surface was good, and you can maintain 70-80kmph if there's no traffic (I did that stretch at around 2 o'clock recently, hence I saved time, money and fuel).
Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilophile View Post
How is the kokkegal -> chamarajnagar route? Is it a two lane route without divider?
Kollegal-Chamarajanagara route is slower, but shorter by a good 40km. The Dimbham ghat section is a treat to our eyes, especially if we pass the area around sunrise - translates to a start time of ~4am from Bangalore city limits. No options for family-friendly food and refreshment apart from Nijaguna Residency at Chamarajanagara. This is not a divided highway, hence you can drive at lower speeds compared to the divided NH route.

Last edited by silversteed : 11th July 2016 at 17:37. Reason: Posting the reply in the All Roads to Kerala thread
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 19:24   #9609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Avoid MC road. Roads in Alleppy/Kayamkulam are bad, when I passed through it two weeks back. Try NH itself and if going to Kazhakottom, try EKM-Kayamkulam-Adoor-Venjaramoodu-Pothencode-Kazhakootom/Sreekaryam route. You can save about 30 minutes in this routes as you can avoid traffic blocks in Karunagapally, Kollam and Attingal.
I had driven from Ernakulam to Kollam via NH on 9 July. The road condition is quite bad from Cherthala till Kayamkulam. The worst parts are on either sides of Alleppey, where big pot holes have come up. Kayamkulam- Kollam is in good condition. You will need an extra 30 minutes to cover the stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Rajeev,
I just wanted to confirm how's the stretch within the forest area as the last time (almost an year back) there were stretches where the road never existed as well and would have definitely got stuck in case I were in my old Baleno which has a very low Ground clearance, luckily we were in my cousin's car which came out with with very minimal underbelly scrapes.
I had travelled to Bandipur/Kabini from Kochi via Nilambur- Gudallur in mid May this year. The roads were good except for some small pot holes near the Nadugani ghats. These could have worsened after the rains. But the Gudallur Bandipur stretch is now ok. Of course you have to slow down for the frequent humps within the forest stretch.

Last edited by ampere : 12th July 2016 at 10:42. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 11th July 2016, 21:40   #9610
BHPian

Hi guys,

I need your help planning a vacation. This is the first time I am planning to visit "God's own country". My colleague is getting married at Kottayam in Aug. I would like to club a family vacation along with this.

FYI - I am super-lazy bug. My idea of a good vacation is to just stay in a good resort/hotel and spend time chilling. I would not like to go around a lot with my kid in tow.

My quick plan to reach Kottayam from Hyderabad is to fly to Kochi, and then take a cab to Kottayam. As per Google it should take me about an hour.

Beyond this I am blank. Please fill in the blank.

* Is there any other city I should be flying to instead of Kochi?
* Can I stay in Kochi and spend couple of days chilling? Or is there some other city that would offer more "ROI" ?
* Is there a car self-rental in Kochi? If not, what's the best way to travel from Kochi to Kottayam and back?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11th July 2016, 22:13   #9611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
fly to Kochi, and then take a cab to Kottayam. As per Google it should take me about an hour.

* Is there any other city I should be flying to instead of Kochi?
* Can I stay in Kochi and spend couple of days chilling? Or is there some other city that would offer more "ROI" ?
* Is there a car self-rental in Kochi? If not, what's the best way to travel from Kochi to Kottayam and back?
Google is the eternal optimist. It would take you probably 2.5 - 3 hours from Kochi airport (CIAL) to Kottayam during daytime (it is about 90 km).

Kochi is still the nearest airport to Kottayam. Thiruvananthapuram is 150+km away and Aranmula is not approved yet.

Kochi is also a major metropolis and not really a chill-place unless your idea of chill is just food. Alappuzha or Kumarakom are nearer to Kottayam and a lot more touristy. Alternatively you could go to one of the towns nestled in the western ghats (Idukki etc.).

Don't know if there are organized self rentals in Kochi. There are individuals who rent out black-on-white plate cars on person-to-person basis but I guess that would be tough to arrange and is bending the law a bit.

If I were you I'd be travelling light and time my flight in such a way that I could board Parasuram or Venad from Aluva railway station. If you are in splurge mode you could get a pre-paid taxi at CIAL itself (the pre-paid counter is just after baggage claim, before you exit the arrival area).
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 07:45   #9612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I need your help planning a vacation. This is the first time I am planning to visit "God's own country". My colleague is getting married at Kottayam in Aug. I would like to club a family vacation along with this.
Close to Kottayam is Kumarakom. Look for one of those good resorts by the Vembanad lake and chill out. But please be aware it would be raining.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 09:34   #9613
BHPian

Quote:
Beyond this I am blank. Please fill in the blank.
Kottayam is a place of rubber estates and spice source. There are few resorts in the middle of spice forests. Tripadvisor has some good options. Else, Kumarakom is the closest and you could book a good resort. My suggestion would be to not go for any of house boats or off shore places to stay. Monsoon times are dark gloomy and turbulent in the shores.
The weather would be perfect for what you mentioned (lazing around etc).
FuelInjector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 10:56   #9614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

FYI - I am super-lazy bug. My idea of a good vacation is to just stay in a good resort/hotel and spend time chilling. I would not like to go around a lot with my kid in tow.

My quick plan to reach Kottayam from Hyderabad is to fly to Kochi, and then take a cab to Kottayam. As per Google it should take me about an hour.
I would also suggest Kumarakom. It's 10 KMS from Kottayam and would be an ideal place to relax. Kochi - Airport to Kottayam will take atleast 2 - 2.5 hours during day time. How many days do you have?
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 12:28   #9615
BHPian

Many thanks for the input guys. Looks like best option is to go to Kumarakom from Kochi and then go to Kottayam for the wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
How many days do you have?
The wedding is on a Thu. So I would like to fly to Kochi to Wed eve/night, and go to Kumarakom. On Thu morning/afternoon I come down to Kottayam to attend the wedding and go back to Kumarakom that eve/night. Then stay there on Fri, Sat and Sun.

Does that sound good?

Most Viewed