Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2016, 13:23   #9616
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Many thanks for the input guys. Looks like best option is to go to Kumarakom from Kochi and then go to Kottayam for the wedding.

The wedding is on a Thu. So I would like to fly to Kochi to Wed eve/night, and go to Kumarakom. On Thu morning/afternoon I come down to Kottayam to attend the wedding and go back to Kumarakom that eve/night. Then stay there on Fri, Sat and Sun.

Does that sound good?
You can spend max 2 nights at Kumarakom. You can also go to Thekkady & Munnar.
pramodpk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 14:20   #9617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then stay there on Fri, Sat and Sun.
Sunday you could go to Kochi in the morning and roam around, prior to taking an evening flight back. Though cosmopolitan, it is also an ancient city with a lot of historical and cultural connections. There are several museums, palaces and places of worship that can interest you.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 14:43   #9618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks for the input guys. Looks like best option is to go to Kumarakom from Kochi and then go to Kottayam for the wedding.

The wedding is on a Thu. So I would like to fly to Kochi to Wed eve/night, and go to Kumarakom. On Thu morning/afternoon I come down to Kottayam to attend the wedding and go back to Kumarakom that eve/night. Then stay there on Fri, Sat and Sun.

Does that sound good?
Airport to Kottayam is going to take you around 2-2.5hrs.So choose your flight accordingly.4 nights kumarakom is going to be an overkill.Like Binand suggested,you could choose to stay at Kochi and go around for 2 nights and then take the flight back.There are no self-drive rental agencies in Kochi or whole of Kerala.There are single-owner operators-but my suggestion would be to stay away from them.Cabs are easily available,so sticking to them would be easiest.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 11:01   #9619
BHPian

Hi All,
I will be traveling from Bangalore to Kayamkulam next month. Please help me choose a route.
Option-1: Bangalore-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Trissur-Kochi-Alappuzha-Kayamkulam
- I know this route, and this the shortest one
- how is the road condition from Coimbatore to Kochi.
- i know the traffic will be a problem from Kochi onwards

Option-2: Bangalore-Madurai-Rajapalayam-Thenmala-Adoor-Kayamkulam
- this is the longer route
- not sure about road conditions and traffic
- I have never used Thenmala-Kayamkulam route
Old 13th July 2016, 13:32   #9620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Hi All,
I will be traveling from Bangalore to Kayamkulam next month. Please help me choose a route.

Coimbatore to Walayar some deviations due to road construction, nothing to worry.

Walayar to Vadakkencherry is a breeze. Vadakkencherry to Mannuthy is not in great condition. Mannuthy to Cherthala very good. Cherthala to Kayamkulam is in bad condition.

I did Kayamkulam - Thenmala in last January and it was all good roads then, with lots of twists.
Old 13th July 2016, 13:47   #9621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Coimbatore to Walayar some deviations due to road construction, nothing to worry.

Walayar to Vadakkencherry is a breeze. Vadakkencherry to Mannuthy is not in great condition. Mannuthy to Cherthala very good. Cherthala to Kayamkulam is in bad condition.

I did Kayamkulam - Thenmala in last January and it was all good roads then, with lots of twists.
So the Cherthala route will be slow due to bad roads and traffic, Thenmala route will be slow due to narrow twisty roads. Which one would you choose?
Old 13th July 2016, 16:19   #9622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Quote:
So the Cherthala route will be slow due to bad roads and traffic, Thenmala route will be slow due to narrow twisty roads. Which one would you choose?
Another option is Bangalore-Dindigul-Kumily-Mundakkayam-Erumely-Ranni-Kozhenchery-Mavelikkara-Kayamkulam. Roads should be fine, but may take slightly longer than the NH47 route because of the ghat sections between Lower Camp (just before Kumily) and Mundakkayam, and the generally curvy roads thereafter at least till Ranni.
Old 13th July 2016, 16:48   #9623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Another option is Bangalore-Dindigul-Kumily-Mundakkayam-Erumely-Ranni-Kozhenchery-Mavelikkara-Kayamkulam. Roads should be fine, but may take slightly longer than the NH47 route because of the ghat sections between Lower Camp (just before Kumily) and Mundakkayam, and the generally curvy roads thereafter at least till Ranni.
The ghat section with the narrow roads was the reason I was not considering this route. I would prefer this route for the return trip, I like the Kumily section a lot.
Old 13th July 2016, 17:26   #9624
Senior - BHPian

Back after a 5 day trip from Kerala.
Route taken:
Bangalore - Coimbatore - Thrissur - Ernakulam bypass - Cherthalla - Alleppey - Changanassery - Thiruvalla - Kottayam - Mulanturutti - Ernakulam and back via the same route to Bangalore.

Overall the road conditions were good except that nearing Ernakulam and in Alleppey town, we were stuck in jams which added more than a hour to the time.
I'm traveling by road after two years to Thrissur and after 5 years to Ernakulam. Crossing Walyar is a breeze now with the beautiful 4 lane. Very few diversions there which is not a hassle.
The only congested bit is Kuthiraan with potholes here and there, but it's not bad. You have to be more attentive to avoid the potholes and it's fine.
Thrissur to Ernakulam bypass was madness. We left Thrissur at 9am on Saturday and later came to know it was the wrong time since traffic will be bad nearing Ernakulam.
It was raining heavily leaving Thrissur but it was fine since it was 4 lane roads.

The traffic jam started from Angamali itself and it was bumper to bumper till the bypass with the buses trying get ahead when there is no space.
Bypass thankfully didn't have much traffic and continued to Allepey. Roads between Ernakulam and Allepey like mentioned by others were annoying.(from the end of the divided road) It had potholes as well as big cracks which at the end made me look like I'm gaming with the constant steering left to right to avoid them and add to that constant flow of traffic in both the directions.
That ended in a traffic jam entering Allepey town and through it till we took the left to Allepey - Changanassery road. This road was a bit better, but had cracks too with the asphalt missing, but not bad as a pothole.
Inner roads were good with very few bad stretches. I enjoyed the road between Kottayam and Mulanturutti with its nice sweeping turns and ups and downs. Traffic is not much on these roads either.
Return was from via the same route from Ernakulam and was quick. Left early to escape jams in Ernakulam and Bangalore. Covered in 10 hours including halts.
Realized weekdays are the best days to travel especially between Bangalore and Salem due to low traffic.

It was nice to see rogue buses between Thrissur and Walyar stick to the left lane once the 4 lane begins. It's the same story on the single carriageway.
On the other hand I'm expecting some speeding tickets by post as I later found out where they were the cameras were located.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 22:34   #9625
BHPian

Quote:
Of the two I'd choose the one via Thenmala, given the current condition of roads between Cherthala and Kayamkulam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
This would also be a good option, good roads through scenic areas.
Old 15th July 2016, 16:43   #9626

What are the good veg restaurants near NH between Mannuthy and Alleppey?
Old 15th July 2016, 17:03   #9627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrajant View Post
What are the good veg restaurants near NH between Mannuthy and Alleppey?
Plenty of Aryaas and Saravana Bhavans on both sides of the highway till Edappally.INdia Coffee House outlets also plenty(but they serve non veg ).
Old 15th July 2016, 20:27   #9628
BHPian

Quote:
I would prefer Thenmala route.
It's a pain to drive between Aluva - Vyttila, Cherthala-Ambalapuzha depends on at what time you are passing these sections (Especially while crossing Edappally and Alappuzha).
Old 25th July 2016, 19:34   #9629
Senior - BHPian

Got this photo of one of the twin tunnels at Kuthiran:

All Roads to Kerala-kuthiran.jpg

Source: Kochi Konnect
silversteed is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 01:36   #9630
BHPian

Current road condition of NH 47 near Haripad.

Most Viewed