Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2016, 21:48   #9661
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Any suggestions for good hotels before Krishnagiri veg/ non veg apart from a2b?
See if this doc helps:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=367234412

It was created by ranjitp1.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 14:30   #9662
BHPian

NHAI unveils slew of projects to improve connectivity in southern districts of TN
Quote:
Another project would be four-laning of the Tirumangalam-Rajapalayam stretch of NH-208 for a distance of 76 kilometres. There is also proposal under consideration to extend the project up to Tenkasi. Similarly, the Madurai-Theni segment of NH-49 would be four-laned for a distance of 44 kilometres.
http://www.dtnext.in/News/City/2016/...nnectivity.vpf
darklord is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 09:37   #9663
Senior - BHPian

Some updates from Bangalore - Vaikom drive.

Work on Madukkarai - Walayar seems to have restarted. Barring 3 flyovers - one at Amrita College junction, one near Kerala border and one in the mid, the rest of the road seems to be done.

Vadakkencherry to Mannuthy is patched up. Progress on road widening seems to be slow. May be due to terrain.

The Sarjapur - Bagalur road has some potholes that can take you by surprise. Dommadandra - Sarjapur is broken. Looks like this road is being widened. Some trees at Sarjapur Police station and Dommasandra have been cut.

Did Vaikom via Salem in 9 hours ( 5:00 AM to 2:00 PM) and Vaikom Bangalore(Whitefield) in 8.5 hours ( 5:15 AM to 1:45 PM). Took Sanakari -Edappadi - Omalur route during return. This road is in very good condition. Took 46 mins to cover 47 KMS and saved 7.5 KMs and Rs 123/- in toll (577.5 KMS while going and 570 KMs on the return).

Last edited by pramodpk : 16th August 2016 at 09:39.
pramodpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 10:47   #9664
BHPian

Hi - does anyone have a the latest update on NH47 from Palakkad to Thrishivaperur please? plan to ride from coimbatore to guruvayur. Need to decide between the NH47 vs Shornur route to reach guruvayur. any updates on the latest status would be greatly helpful
Old 16th August 2016, 10:56   #9665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Hi - does anyone have a the latest update on NH47 from Palakkad to Thrishivaperur please? plan to ride from coimbatore to guruvayur. Need to decide between the NH47 vs Shornur route to reach guruvayur. any updates on the latest status would be greatly helpful
Please check my post above for update on Palakkad - Thrissur.

Also, check this post for Guruvayur route.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4033901
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 12:12   #9666
BHPian

Quote:
Since you're headed to Guruvayoor, I would recommend Palakkad-Shornur-Thrissur route by which you can skip the bad stretch between Vadakkancherry and Mannuthi. I traveled over the weekend and have seen real bad traffic spiced up by manic drivers making it a real mess. Kuthiran stretch was piled up on the opposite direction on Friday last, but was alright on Sunday during our return. Slightly, unpredictable. Worth giving a skip, in any case.

Regards
Rex
rex_varghese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 12:24   #9667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Yes. Its a breeze till Kolenchery for sure. Rest should be good as well based on my experience few months before, not traveled very recently.
Thanks, jacs.

Took the Peruvamuzhi-Ramamangalam-Elanji-Monippally route early morning. Road was great during most of the stretch, except that they are pretty narrow at many places. Google maps took us pretty well through the route, except a detour we had to do which caused us additional couple of kilometers of drive.

Did Bangalore-Muvattupuzha on Friday. Lot of traffic exiting Bangalore early morning, all the way till Krishnagiri. Krishangiri toll booth had very long queues, especially north bound. Rest of the drive was alright, except that most of the toll booths had long waiting times. Vadakkancherry-Mannuthi stretch is still not done. Road surface is ok. Heavy taffic and impatient drivers with no concern for other vehicles make it very hard on this stretch.

Muvattupuzha-Bangalore drive was on Sunday. Expected a peaceful drive, since next day was a holiday. But, was very surprised to see a lot of truck traffic all through. Krishnagiri toll booth was really piled up. Have never seen such long queues. They had opened up additional lanes on the south bound side to ease the congestion. Traffic was bad till Hosur. Beyond Hosur, it eased slightly.

Looks like apart from costing a decent amount in tolls, toll booths are adding up to almost an hour of waiting time in a 550km drive, on a bad day.

Regards
Rex
Old 16th August 2016, 12:42   #9668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Least trafficked route is Palakkad-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Ottupara-Kundannur-Mangad-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur.Since you are riding,this route should be the best one,since this sees least amount of traffic and hardly any real bad sections.

The only trick point is not to take the Alathur flyover.Once you are on it,you would have to go a fair distance to take a u-turn.

If you want to take the Shoranur route,take kulappully-pattambi-koottanad-perumpilavu-kunnamkulam-guruvayur route.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 14:37   #9669
Senior - BHPian

Update Kochi - Varkala route

After hearing a scary stories about NH66 in Allepey, Haripad and Kollam, took a different route based on the suggestions from some local folks.

Vyttila - Ettumanoor - Manarcad - Puthuppally - Karukachal - Mallapally - Kozhencherry - Adoor - Kottarakkara - Chadayamangalam - Parippally - Varkala
  • Good tar surfaced roads all through-out (do not remember hitting any potholes)
  • Roads in bold are narrow and hence high-speeds not so safe (I stayed in 60-80Kmph range)
  • Less traffic. (only about 5 minutes block while entering Adoor near highway while going and about 10 minutes block in Kozhencherry town while returning)
  • Total distance is a little less than 200KMs and travel time was about 4.5 hours maintaining around 60-80Kmph speed mostly

Last edited by jacs : 16th August 2016 at 14:39.
jacs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 14:06   #9670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
If Ooty is not a priority, take Kanakpura-Chamrajnagar-Gundlepet -Gudalur - Nilambur - Thrissur - Eranakulam.

Whichever route you choose, suggest you to plan to reach Kerala border around evening, so that you could reach EKM by Midnight and avoid a lot of kerala traffic
I took the Calicut route and it was okay except from Calicut to Ernakulam where the roads were somewhat narrow and rough traffic. I did have a chance to drive till Nenmara and found the roads between Trichur till Vadakkenchery to be horrible. I would not suggest non-natives driving this stretch after dusk and during dawn.

What is the condition of the following stretch?

Gundlepet -Gudalur - Nilambur - Thrissur - Eranakulam

I'm planning this route during return.

How about: Ernakulam-Munnar-Dindigul-Salem-Bangalore?
Old 17th August 2016, 15:42   #9671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
What is the condition of the following stretch?

Gundlepet -Gudalur - Nilambur - Thrissur - Eranakulam
Gundlepet-Nilambur is in excellent condition (last traveled July 1st week). The Gudalur-Theppakdu stretch which was very bad for a long time has been completely resurfaced. Not sure about Nilambur-Thrissur, but should be very good.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 23:35   #9672
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I've a trip to Trivandrum coming up. Couple of queries.

1. How's the condition of the Kuthiran stretch? We will be passing through this area between 3-5 PM on Thursday.

2. I understand the route between Ernakulam and Trivandrum isn't four-laned somewhere after Cherthala. How is this route? I mean do the buses/trucks ply on this route like our private buses? We had done a part of this route sometime back in September 2014 and the average speed was terribly low due to the amount of traffic on this narrow road.

Some inputs would be immensely helpful! Many TIA!
Old 21st August 2016, 23:57   #9673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys, I've a trip to Trivandrum coming up. Couple of queries.

1. How's the condition of the Kuthiran stretch? We will be passing through this area between 3-5 PM on Thursday.

2. I understand the route between Ernakulam and Trivandrum isn't four-laned somewhere after Cherthala. How is this route? I mean do the buses/trucks ply on this route like our private buses? We had done a part of this route sometime back in September 2014 and the average speed was terribly low due to the amount of traffic on this narrow road.

Some inputs would be immensely helpful! Many TIA!
1. Kuthiran stretch is alright, albeit being single lane till Mannuthy. So after Wadakkencherry till Mannuthy, expect low speeds. Road condition is acceptable.

2. I did a trip last year, expect an avg speed of about 40 kmph if travelling during day. If you start early morning, you should be able to travel bit more faster.

Why not consider the routes thru TN - Nagercoil?
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 00:04   #9674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Why not consider the routes thru TN - Nagercoil?
Thanks!

I have an appointment with the Palakkad RTO (for the registration change from GJ to KL) and meeting a friend at Thrissur on Thursday. Also have to pick up a friend from Koratty and another friend from Nedumbassery airport en route to Trivandrum.

The original plan was via Nagercoil from Chennai with a stopover at Madurai.

How about the speedguns on the way from Thrissur to Ernakulam? Have they revised the speed limits from 80 to 90 kmph? I heard something of that sort from a couple of friends sometime back.
Old 22nd August 2016, 10:47   #9675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
How about the speedguns on the way from Thrissur to Ernakulam? Have they revised the speed limits from 80 to 90 kmph? I heard something of that sort from a couple of friends sometime back.
Yes, AFAIK its 90 now. I have done speeds around 80 and havent seen any flash.
Tip - Use Waze.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks