Old 4th October 2016, 14:12   #9856
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Drove Whitefield to Vaikom on Oct 1st.

Start Time - 4:40 AM
End Time -6:50 AM
I'm sure you meant 6:50 PM end time. Otherwise it is ~26 hour journey.
I'm also planning for Thrissur trip from Whitefield on 15th October. Will be sticking to the Mysore route only.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 17:53   #9857
Distinguished - BHPian

My experience with the KL roads:

Due to the current Cauvery issue and the unpredictable situation at the KA-TN border we decided to take the KL route. Also, being with family,
I was very hesitant to take the TN roads. The route we took was, Bangalore - Mysore(Stay at Mysore) - Kalpetta - Cochin - Trivandrun - Nagercoil.

Name:  Snap2.gif
Views: 1147
Size:  93.7 KB

From Mysore we started at 5:15 AM and we reached Nagercoil exactly at 11:55 PM. So total duration from Mysore was 18H:40M (From Bangalore, it
adds up to 21H:10M)

Some comparison:

Bangalore - Nagercoil (Via KL):

Total Kms: 836 Kms
Duration: 21H:10M
Avg Speed: 40Kmph(approx)
Avg Speed between Kalpetta - Trivandrum(450 Kms) was 32Kmph only.

Nagercoil - Bangalore(Via TN):

This is what it took during the return through the standard route(Madurai-Salem)

Total Kms : 670Kms
Duration: 8H:30M
Avg Speed: 79Kmph(approx)
Now that is a whopping difference, isn't it?! And it says a lot about KL roads/traffic and TN roads.

Route experience:
  • Initially after Kalpetta, we loved the ghats which was scenic, loads of turns, harpin bends etc.
  • Overtaking was always a challenge as its 2L roads all through with high traffic flow(Except a stretch of around 40Kms near Cochin which is 4L)
  • Its all about traffic traffic traffic!
  • At one point(before Guruvayur), we were able to cover only 110Kms in 4 hours.
  • I was mostly on 2nd and 3rd gear so much that I forgot about the 5th gear at some point.
  • Good thing was the roads were good without any big potholes and speed breakers.
  • Cochin - Trivandrum(200 Kms) took 6 hours(Few months back, we took this route early morning and covered it in 3H 40M).
  • Last one hour before Trivandrum was quick.
  • Many hotels on the way but most of them were empty, so we were little confused on where to stop. We then decided to stop inside towns only.
  • Private buses were very rash and they even didn't bother to overtake on the harpin-bends.
  • At signals, people were keeping left lane open for "free left" unlike bangalore where it is blocked by the traffic most of the times.
  • You have to pass through almost all towns and cities.
  • Estimated time by google maps was accurate almost every time.
  • GPS was guiding us off the NH66 which we started ignoring because it took us through some very narrow lanes once.
What it requires to drive on these roads:
  • Loads of patience an concentration to handle the traffic.
  • Overtaking skill to make sure that you are moving ahead.
  • Being on the right gear always helps to overtake when you get a chance.
  • Be informed and keep yourself updated about these roads before the trip so that you are not in for a shock.
  • Keep the passengers informed about the nature of these roads as well and what to expect. Especially if it is going to be a long stretch.
  • Many a times the 2W in front of you will just stop in middle of the road to take a right turn. So, we will have to be alert.
  • There were many intersection which joins at an angle towards you which confused me at times.
Overall, it was an Experience to drive on these routes during daytime and I have no regrets taking this route as we were always bored to take the standard 4L route. Now, will I take this route again?!, Sure but with more planning so that I can reduce the time on road.

And, hats off to the people who take these routes frequently.
arun_josie is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 19:57   #9858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
You can take a left at Thamarassery, and go via Mukkam, Manjeri, Perinthalmanna, Melepattambi, Shoranur, Thrissur, Angamaly and so on.
Can any oneone help me with the current condition of the above rout from Tamaraserry to Thrissur via Manjeri Perinthalmanna??

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
[b]My experience with the KL roads:
You have a KA/KL/TN vehicle with you?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th October 2016 at 22:52. Reason: Back to back posts merged + trimming quoted content.
Old 4th October 2016, 20:23   #9859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Can any anyone help me with the current condition of the above rout from Tamaraserry to Thrissur via Manjeri Perinthalmanna??
From Thamarasherry to Trichur, I would suggest taking the Kozhikode bypass-Valanchery-Kuttipuram-Edappal-Kunnamkulam (bypass)-Trichur route. This route is wide enough at most places, and there are less bottle necks to cross - one being Valanchery town signal.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th October 2016 at 22:52. Reason: Fixing broken quotes.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 21:00   #9860
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You have a KA/KL/TN vehicle with you?
Its a KA vehicle. I took this route, due to the restrictions at KA-TN border.
Old 4th October 2016, 21:19   #9861
BHPian

Quote:
My experience with the KL roads:

Due to the current Cauvery issue and the unpredictable situation at the KA-TN border we decided to take the KL route. Also, being with family,
I was very hesitant to take the TN roads. The route we took was, [b]Bangalore - Mysore(Stay at Mysore) - Kalpetta - Cochin - Trivandrun - Nagercoil.
We also took the same route to Kochi, though we broke the journey at Wayanad.

Quote:
[*]Estimated time by google maps was accurate almost every time.[*]GPS was guiding us off the NH66 which we started ignoring because it took us through some very narrow lanes once.
+1 I too ignored the Google suggestion initially, but since it was dead accurate with the timings, followed it after Kozhikode. On hindsight I should have followed it from beginning, especially when it routed to byepass Kozhikode, could have saved 30mins or so.

I had to be on NH17 to visit some relatives, so it didn't suggest the Trissur route.

Also I called up my relatives en route get some suggestions, like taking the Chavakkad beach road instead of town, byepassing North Paravur town, so on. It also helped. A lot of tribal knowledge is required on this route, as the traffic/road conditions are very dynamic.

Trissur route may have made a slight difference for you, but again there are big towns that would have slowed you down.

Edit:
Quote:
What it requires to drive on these roads:
Having a private bus on tail boosts the progress a bit

Last edited by bejoy : 4th October 2016 at 21:35.
bejoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 22:47   #9862
BHPian

Quote:
Its a KA vehicle. I took this route, due to the restrictions at KA-TN border.
Was everything OK when you took the TN route for your return trip??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
From Thamarasherry to Trichur, I would suggest taking the Kozhikode bypass-Valanchery-Kuttipuram-Edappal-Kunnamkulam (bypass)-Trichur route. This route is wide enough at most places, and there are less bottle necks to cross - one being Valanchery town signal.
But this route is always crowded and I was stuck between Adivaram Ramanatukara for long time during my last trip.

So wanted to know about taking Tamaraserry- Manjeri- Perinthalmanna- Trissur route.

Please help me with the condition of the road and traffic when compared to the Kozhikkode- Kuttipuram- Edappal - Trissur road

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th October 2016 at 22:53. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts.
Old 4th October 2016, 23:26   #9863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
We also took the same route to Kochi, though we broke the journey at Wayanad.
Initially even we thought of taking a break at Wayanad, but with relatives place at Mysore, we skipped this idea.

Quote:

+1 I too ignored the Google suggestion initially, but since it was dead accurate with the timings, followed it after Kozhikode. On hindsight I should have followed it from beginning, especially when it routed to byepass Kozhikode, could have saved 30mins or so.
We once got stuck in a very narrow road, so we decided to stick to the main road. But yes, maybe this helps to save time.
Quote:

Having a private bus on tail boosts the progress a bit
True that. But still these private buses will find a way to overtake.

Quote:
Was everything OK when you took the TN route for your return trip??
Yes, it was all fine and we were never stopped at all.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 23:37   #9864
BHPian

Is it ok to enter TN from Walayar or from Shencottai with a KA car now?? Is there anyone who can help on it???
Old 5th October 2016, 07:36   #9865
BHPian

Quote:
Is it ok to enter TN from Walayar or from Shencottai with a KA car now?? Is there anyone who can help on it???
AFAIK there is no restriction in place, at least at Walayar.

Also there is a news that KSRTC is planning to resume the bus services after talks with TN govt. Things are getting back to normal.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 09:09   #9866
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend visiting from Mumbai traveled to Erode yesterday and took the Bangalore-Hosur route, did not face any issues (mostly since his car had MH registration). He said that even at 4:15am, there were lots of people walking across the border on both sides as well as heavy police presence on both sides of the border. The cops were dissuading TN registered vehicles from entering the KA side and vice-versa.
Old 5th October 2016, 10:15   #9867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But this route is always crowded and I was stuck between Adivaram Ramanatukara for long time during my last trip.

So wanted to know about taking Tamaraserry- Manjeri- Perinthalmanna- Trissur route.
The manjeri route is narrower and would be equally crowded except may be on Fridays and Sundays. Had read in another thread that the Areekode-Manjeri road is not in good condition.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 10:17   #9868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
The manjeri route is narrower and would be equally crowded except may be on Fridays and Sundays. Had read in another thread that the Areekode-Manjeri road is not in good condition.
Thank you for that information brother.
Is there any timing from which the usual Adivaram -Kozhikode bypass- ramanatukara road gets crowded? Is there any benefit in passing Kunnamangalam before 8.30 in the morning while coming from Bangalore/Mysore?? Will I get minimal traffic at that time??
Old 5th October 2016, 11:13   #9869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any timing from which the usual Adivaram -Kozhikode bypass- ramanatukara road gets crowded? Is there any benefit in passing Kunnamangalam before 8.30 in the morning while coming from Bangalore/Mysore?? Will I get minimal traffic at that time??
8-8.30 would be peak time. There are a lot of educational institutions around kunnamangalam-malapparamba area. if u can pass before 8, it would b managable.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 13:01   #9870
jp1
BHPian

Hi guys
I am planning to go to Munnar tomorrow from Bangalore and considering 3 routes to Angamaly as follows
1. Blr->Mysore->Nanjangudu->Thamarassery->Manjeri->Perinthalmanna-> Trichur-Angamaly-> (517 kms)

2. Blr->Mysore->Nanjangudu->Thamarassery->Valanchery->Kuttipuram-> Trichur-Angamaly (524 kms) OR

3. Blr->Mysore->Nanjangudu->Bandipur->Gudalur->Nadugani-> Nilambur->Trichur-Angamaly (464 kms)

Angalmaly to Munnar planned via Muvattupuzha

The 3rd one is shortest, but need to enter TN for around 50+kms.
Mine is a KA registered vehicle
Any suggestions and road conditions who recently taken this route is appreciated.
Thanks
exljp

Most Viewed