Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2016, 12:35   #9916
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Here you go with the map.
Note that at the bottom left corner, Google Maps routes you through some not-so-ideal roads; the route most of us here prefer is via the outskirts of Idappadi town. This is the faint white line in your map which starts from the kink in the blue line just above the "8 hr 23 min" marker.

Name:  Untitled1.png
Views: 1125
Size:  153.0 KB
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 18:38   #9917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Started at 3:15AM from Whitefield and Reached home (496KM) @11:15AM with a 30 minutes break for breakfast.
Overall FE of 22.7km/l. (S-Coss 1.3).
496 is the exact km from my home at Whitefield to my parents home @ chalakudy.
Where exactly was your destination ?

Looks like you took the route very sedately and that is reflected on your FE.
Old 17th October 2016, 07:14   #9918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
496 is the exact km from my home at Whitefield to my parents home @ chalakudy.
Where exactly was your destination ?

Looks like you took the route very sedately and that is reflected on your FE.
My home is near Irinjalakuda. I covered the distance of ~500 in 7 hrs 30 mins. With an average speed of 67. Yes. It was a sedate drive with family.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 10:14   #9919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here you go with the map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Note that at the bottom left corner, Google Maps routes you through some not-so-ideal roads; the route most of us here prefer is via the outskirts of Idappadi town.
Edapadi -Tharamangalam - Omalur is my default route during return journeys from Kerala these days. But it doesn't make sense to take this route while going as it is slightly slower.
Old 17th October 2016, 10:19   #9920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
But it doesn't make sense to take this route while going as it is slightly slower.
The point here is that due to multiple flyovers construction on Salem bypass, the main route is now prone to major jams.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 12:51   #9921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Note that at the bottom left corner, Google Maps routes you through some not-so-ideal roads; the route most of us here prefer is via the outskirts of Idappadi town. This is the faint white line in your map which starts from the kink in the blue line just above the "8 hr 23 min" marker.
Is this what you are suggesting? Makes sense because the Google map suggestion kind of takes you through some unknown roads in Manjakalpatti because to join the expressway we need to be in the correct service road and Google maps tries to get there at the farthest point, instead Vaikundam makes sense.

Name:  20161017 12_48_35Jakkasandra Extension Koramangala to Thrissur Kerala  Google Maps.png
Views: 1126
Size:  131.5 KB
Old 17th October 2016, 20:54   #9922
BHPian

Hi T-BHPians, need some help with the following route : Hunsur-Nagarhole forest- Kutta-Thirunelli. We want to go to Kutta from Hunsur by crossing Nagarhole forest as shown in the map. In very early morning.

All Roads to Kerala-hunsur_kutta..jpg

My doubts are :
1. Google maps, by default, shows the route as Hunsur-Gonikoppa-Kutta (and not through Nagarhole forest). Is the forest route closed? If its open, how's the road condition now. I have done this route in 2014 and road inside forest was patchy & potholed.

2. We (me & 2 friends, all guys) are planning to start at night from Bangalore and reach forest gates at 6-00 AM (thats the time the gates open I guess). Which means we need to cover from Hunsur to the forest gates at 4-00 AM / 5-00 AM. Is the route safe to travel at that time?

3. Why google maps isn't depicting Nagarhole forest in green color in the maps? All forests are usually sown in green. this is bugging me
Old 17th October 2016, 21:08   #9923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Hi T-BHPians, need some help with the following route : Hunsur-Nagarhole forest- Kutta-Thirunelli. We want to go to Kutta from Hunsur by crossing Nagarhole forest as shown in the map. In very early morning.

My doubts are :
1. Google maps, by default, shows the route as Hunsur-Gonikoppa-Kutta (and not through Nagarhole forest). Is the forest route closed? If its open, how's the road condition now. I have done this route in 2014 and road inside forest was patchy & potholed.

2. We (me & 2 friends, all guys) are planning to start at night from Bangalore and reach forest gates at 6-00 AM (thats the time the gates open I guess). Which means we need to cover from Hunsur to the forest gates at 4-00 AM / 5-00 AM. Is the route safe to travel at that time?

3. Why google maps isn't depicting Nagarhole forest in green color in the maps? All forests are usually sown in green. this is bugging me
1. Did you do the google search now? The forest road is closed from 6pm-6am. So if you search with the 'Leave Now option' in this time window, it is going to route through Gonikoppa-Kutta, which is open at night also. If you chose the leave at say 6am in maps, it will route you through the forest. I think the road condition will be similar to 2014. I don't recall it being relaid recently (May be wrong though, I have not personally take this route)

2. 5am should be fine. Don't think you need to be worried-especially since it is an all guys gang.

3. Interesting point. Not sure why. Definitely used to show green earlier. Maybe some temporary glitch?The forest is still definitely there.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 00:29   #9924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
1. Did you do the google search now? The forest road is closed from 6pm-6am. So if you search with the 'Leave Now option' in this time window, it is going to route through Gonikoppa-Kutta, which is open at night also. If you chose the leave at say 6am in maps, it will route you through the forest. I think the road condition will be similar to 2014. I don't recall it being relaid recently (May be wrong though, I have not personally take this route)
Bang on! I tried 7-00 AM and G-maps showed the forest route.

Quote:
2. 5am should be fine. Don't think you need to be worried-especially since it is an all guys gang.
Thanks!

Quote:
3. Interesting point. Not sure why. Definitely used to show green earlier. Maybe some temporary glitch?The forest is still definitely there.
Are you sure? Google uncle is generally up-to-date about these things
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 11:45   #9925
Senior - BHPian

Many of the highways in south India appears closed, when you browse Google maps. Is this for real? What could be the reason if so?
Old 18th October 2016, 14:34   #9926
BHPian

Quote:
Did a Bangalore - Thrissur trip yesterday. (15th Oct). Pleasant drive. Took the normal Salem-Coimbatore route

Returning on Tuesday.
Returned today from Thrissur. Took the same route. Started@6AM. Reached home at Whitefield @2PM. Silkboard contributed 30 minutes delay.
Old 18th October 2016, 14:50   #9927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Many of the highways in south India appears closed, when you browse Google maps.
You need to show something. Which highways are closed?
Old 18th October 2016, 15:40   #9928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Here are some screenshots attached, indicating many of the highways as "closed".
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-1.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-2.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-3.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-4.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-5.jpg  

Old 18th October 2016, 15:41   #9929
BHPian

Quote:
Many of the highways in south India appears closed, when you browse Google maps. Is this for real? What could be the reason if so?
Quote:
One of them would be the Gundlupet - Muthanga - Bathery route. GMaps routes it through Gudalur. It has been so for a long time. Not sure why.

The route via Muthanga is open and perfectly fine.

Edit:
Quote:
Here are some screenshots attached, indicating many of the highways as "closed".
For the one shown in Kochi, this is at Edapally. It says Road closure on NH544. This is where a new bridge is open for entering the city. May be it says that the road below the bridge is closed, and one need to take a left turn and take a U-turn to get back to the junction.

Last edited by bejoy : 18th October 2016 at 15:56.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 17:39   #9930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
One of them would be the Gundlupet - Muthanga - Bathery route. GMaps routes it through Gudalur. It has been so for a long time. Not sure why.

The route via Muthanga is open and perfectly fine.
There are a few others which I noticed.
1) One on my daily route in Bangalore - Google maps doesn't let you turn right onto Hosa Road(Jail Road) from Hosur road while coming from ECity. (I did raise a correction request for this)

2) Mysore - Mananthavady route via HD Kote, Bavali(SH 33) is routed back through Hunsur, Gonikuppa. Somewhere near Bavali, it doesn't show the connection.

Most Viewed