Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2016, 11:36   #9976
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Are there plans to make this stretch 6 lane? Considering the traffic density, this section should be made 6 lane sooner than later.
I'm not sure if/when work may start but at few places, there is land on either side just beside the existing lanes and it has been fenced off, similar to the Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch when it was being widened to 6 lanes.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 19:14   #9977
Senior - BHPian

Back from a quick Kerala trip.

Started from Bangalore at 3.15 AM instead of the planned start at 3.30 AM, and reached the Sree Saravana Bhavan, Vaigundam by 5.45 AM, and since the hotel was not open, decided to push forward thinking that we will find some other place to eat on the way. The next few hotels - Saravanabhavan classic, Annapurna, A2B etc were closed and we were really hungry by 6.30 and then decided we will not waste any more time looking for hotels and will drive till coinbatore and will look for a hotel there.

On the way, we saw lot of signs for Sri Sai Krishna and decided to check it out. They were open and was serving breakfast - had a sigh of relief and had a very tasty breakfast from there. The food taste is better than Sree Sharavana Bhavan and rates are less, but the toilets are not as good as Sree Saravanabhavan, though they were neat and clean. There is ample parking space and they have a children play area and a store - almost like Sree Sharavana Bhavan.

While returning, we started from home by 3.15 again, and reached Sree Sharavana Bhavan at around 7.00 for breakfast. After a quick stop, we started back by 7.20 and deiced to take a left at Kalipattti pirivu to take the Idappadi road which joins the SH 86 to Omalur. We covered this distance (from Sharavana Bhavan to Omalur) in about 40 minutes. The road surface is excellent and the traffic was sparse.

Few takeaways from the trip:
  • Sree Sharavana Bhavan opens at 6.00 and starts serving breakfast, so if you are some one who gets hungry very early like me, this is the best place to stop.
  • If you miss Sree Sharavana Bhavan, your only option is Sri Sai Krishna.
  • Fasttag worked like a charm - had a total cashless trip, if we can discount the L&T toll.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 26th October 2016 at 19:17.
theexperthand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 23:55   #9978
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
If you miss Sree Sharavana Bhavan, your only option is Sri Sai Krishna.
No, there are a few options like Saravana bhavan classic at Sankari, A2B on right and Annalakshmi on left at Perundurai bypass, Anandha bhavan on right near Avinashi bypass and then the newer Sai Krishna on left and Tiruppur Sree Annapoorna on right nearby Sai Krishna. See my update from a recent trip a few posts behind.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4080332

Last edited by NPV : 26th October 2016 at 23:57.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 07:02   #9979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the way, we saw lot of signs for Sri Sai Krishna and decided to check it out. They were open and was serving breakfast - had a sigh of relief and had a very tasty breakfast from there.
Thanks for this. Where is this, and is it listed in this document? Do you happen to have GPS coordinates?
Old 27th October 2016, 10:52   #9980
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Where is this, and is it listed in this document? Do you happen to have GPS coordinates?
Don't have the GPS coordinates, but I mentioned it in my earlier post here (All Roads to Kerala) - around 20-30Km or so before Neelambur/L&T Coimbatore bypass.
Old 27th October 2016, 11:04   #9981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
No, there are a few options like Saravana bhavan classic at Sankari, A2B on right and Annalakshmi on left at Perundurai bypass, Anandha bhavan on right near Avinashi bypass and then the newer Sai Krishna on left and Tiruppur Sree Annapoorna on right nearby Sai Krishna. See my update from a recent trip a few posts behind.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4080332
What I meant was, there is no other option for an early breakfast

We stopped at all these places and none of them were open. We reached Annalakshmi by 6.30ish and they said we can use the restrooms if we want, but it will take about 30 minutes for them to start serving the breakfast.

Sri Sai Krishna was already serving breakfast when I reached there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Thanks for this. Where is this, and is it listed in this document? Do you happen to have GPS coordinates?
Here you go - 11°11'58.9"N 77°19'14.5"E

Google Maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/xMbEQJY9A6z

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 27th October 2016 at 11:12.
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 11:59   #9982
Senior - BHPian

Kuthiran tunnel work update

Read in Mathrubhumi that the construction company expects to complete Kuthiran tunnel work by March 2017. Out of the 2 tunnels (one for each direction - 915 mts long), 500 mts of one tunnel and 250 mts of the other are completed. For those who can read Malayalam, here is the link.

http://www.mathrubhumi.com/palakkad/...news-1.1456053
pramodpk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 12:48   #9983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
8. Sri Sai Krishna - new place with lot of signages has come up on left side in a new NHAI Rest Area after Avinashi bypass - 320Km. Probably 30Km before Neelambur/L&T junction
Quote:
Here you go - 11°11'58.9"N 77°19'14.5"E

Google Maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/xMbEQJY9A6z
Seems to some confusion about the location - As per NPV the place should be between Avinashi and Neelambur, but the location marked in the second post is between Chengapalli and Avinashi. Are these two different places ?
Old 28th October 2016, 15:15   #9984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Seems to some confusion about the location - As per NPV the place should be between Avinashi and Neelambur, but the location marked in the second post is between Chengapalli and Avinashi. Are these two different places ?
I don't remember the exact location (was too hungry ), but I remember that it is around 50 KM from Coimbatore.

--Anoop
Old 28th October 2016, 15:46   #9985
BHPian

Quote:
I don't remember the exact location (was too hungry ), but I remember that it is around 50 KM from Coimbatore.

--Anoop
Should these guys or any restaurants remain open tomorrow (as its Diwali in TN) ? We are planning an early start from Bangalore by 4am. Should be around Salem for Breakfast time.
Old 28th October 2016, 15:53   #9986
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
If you see my post, I mentioned Anandha bhavan to be 43km from Neelambur/L&T (distance noted on the return journey) and while going I'm quite sure Sai Krishna comes on left and it was after we passed by Anandha bhavan, so 30km before Neelambur should be a fair estimate I think

It is located inside a new NHAI amenity complex/Rest Area and there are several small signs for the hotel few kilometers before you reach the place, so it can't be missed.
Old 28th October 2016, 20:58   #9987
BHPian

While going to Kerala How to traverse through Salem if the main highway is blocked for construction? Is the service lanes open for traffic. On the way back, I plan to use the State highway.
Old 28th October 2016, 21:56   #9988
BHPian

Salem service roads are open, but yesterday itself had very high traffic. I entered around 6.30pm and exited by 8pm in the last flyover towards Madurai road. This time duration is after taking left in 2nd round about and followed Google map advice. So today it may be more.

Guys any alternative way to avoid Salem during my return journey from madurai to bangalore?
Old 29th October 2016, 08:09   #9989
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
While going to Kerala How to traverse through Salem if the main highway is blocked for construction? Is the service lanes open for traffic. On the way back, I plan to use the State highway.
For 2Km, though the main lanes are blocked traffic is diverted onto the service roads on either side. Your best bet is to start early and try to minimize the time to traverse through this stretch.

Last Sunday I traveled on this route and it was easily manageable due to the timings I chose but now it's the Diwali holiday season, so I think it's better to take the alternate State Highway route(s).

You could take the Omalur-Tharaangalam-Idappady bypass-Sankari route as well which will bypass the Salem construction zone. On return journey take the same route in reverse direction from Sankari.
Old 29th October 2016, 11:44   #9990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
Salem service roads are open, but yesterday itself had very high traffic. I entered around 6.30pm and exited by 8pm in the last flyover towards Madurai road. This time duration is after taking left in 2nd round about and followed Google map advice. So today it may be more.

Guys any alternative way to avoid Salem during my return journey from madurai to bangalore?
I traveled around the same time and took the omalur route. Google showed that the selam route was 50 mins slower. The omalur route was also heavily crowded with two wheelers and people shopping for the festival.

Not sure if the Sankari route is viable while coming from Madurai

Most Viewed