Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2016, 11:00   #10021
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Surprised and happy to see the pace at which the Kuthiraan tunnel work is going on. Managed to click this while passing by yesterday.
All Roads to Kerala-img_20161113_150017083-2.jpg
glenmz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 11:02   #10022
BHPian

Hi there! Coming week plan to drive to Kumarakom from Coimbatore. We plan to stay in Kerala Government's resort. What is the best route option to follow? I understand that between Coimbatore and till crossing Kochin there are multiple route options. While we want to enjoy the scenic drive in Kerala, we do not want to detour too much and want to avoid diversions as much as possible. Will be able to follow Google maps and get to the destination without trouble? What will be a good place for breakfast if we leave Coimbatore say at 6am and how long it would take to reach Kumarakom? Thanks and cheers
Old 14th November 2016, 11:13   #10023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Hi there! Coming week plan to drive to Kumarakom from Coimbatore. We plan to stay in Kerala Government's resort. What is the best route option to follow? I understand that between Coimbatore and till crossing Kochin there are multiple route options. While we want to enjoy the scenic drive in Kerala, we do not want to detour too much and want to avoid diversions as much as possible. Will be able to follow Google maps and get to the destination without trouble? What will be a good place for breakfast if we leave Coimbatore say at 6am and how long it would take to reach Kumarakom? Thanks and cheers
Coimbatore - Walayar- Palakkad(By Pass) - Vadakkencherry - Mannuthy - Angamaly - Aluva - Kalamassery - Edapally - Vytilla - Cherthala - Thanneermukkam - Kumarakom.

Route is straight forward. You can even reach without google maps. Just follow NH47 till Cherthala. Cherthala to Kumarakom is scenic. You will get to see Kerala backwaters. With a 6:00 AM start, you can expect to reach by 11:30 - 12:00. Walayar - Vakaddenchery is 4 lane. Mannuthy to Cherthala is also 4 lane.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 14:33   #10024
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What will be a good place for breakfast if we leave Coimbatore say at 6am
You can consider stopping at Aaryaas (also a McD is nearby) near Chandranagar, Palakkad on left side almost where the NH 47 Palakkad bypass curves to left.
After this, most of your options are closer to Alathur about 20Km away from Palakkad (not sure if this has changed in the last 6 months and new eateries have come up before that).

Of course, if you have the time, I would suggest going into Palakkad town and eating at Hariharaputra or Kapilavasthu - probably the best vegetarian restaurants there
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 09:57   #10025
BHPian

From Club Mahindra Cherai, which route is best for getting me to Coimbatore-Bangalore road? Any eateries en route for breakfast? Thanks n cheers
Old 19th November 2016, 10:40   #10026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From Club Mahindra Cherai, which route is best for getting me to Coimbatore-Bangalore road? Any eateries en route for breakfast? Thanks n cheers
You can take 2 routes depending on your time of travel.

1. Kottapuram - Ashtamichira - Kodakara - Palakad - Coimbatore
Traffic will be less in this route, but a bit narrow roads. Good roads and easily drivable at around 50-60 kmph. Google maps navigation will be very handy.

2. Kodungallur - irinjalakuda - Kodakara - Palakad - Coimbatore
Good and wider roads, expect traffic at towns.

I suggest route 1 if you are travelling during morning or evening peak hours, else route 2.

Avoid the direct route of reaching NH @ Athani or Angamali if traveling during day time. You can expect long jams at Angamali during day time.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 15:33   #10027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
1. Kottapuram - Ashtamichira - Kodakara - Palakad - Coimbatore
Traffic will be less in this route, but a bit narrow roads. Good roads and easily drivable at around 50-60 kmph. Google maps navigation will be very handy.
Yes thanks v much! That's what I will take. Any decent eateries in this route for simple Idly-vada-dosa breakfast assuming we start around 7.30am from Cherai?

Cheers
Old 19th November 2016, 17:13   #10028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes thanks v much! That's what I will take. Any decent eateries in this route for simple Idly-vada-dosa breakfast assuming we start around 7.30am from Cherai?
Cheers
hmm, nothing coming to my mind till you hit NH @Kodakara. But you will find few enroute. Check in the towns like Mala/Ashtamichira etc while you pass. I know there is a Kallada restaurant at Aloor, but they may not be open.

Between Kodakara and the first toll booth on NH, you will find few good restaurants on both sides of the highway (dont remember the names)

OT: If you can start 1-1.5 hr early, you will escape morning traffic all the way till Palakad.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 18:55   #10029
APV
BHPian

Quote:
What will be a good place for breakfast if we leave Coimbatore say at 6am
If you skip the Aaryas at Chandra Nagar (the one which NPV suggested), You can find another Aaryas at Vadakkanchery - This would be on your right when proceeding towards Thrissur from Coimbatore.

You would notice this hotel after 4 lanes end after vadakkancherry. This hotel would be approx. 75 kms from Coimbatore so if you make a 6 AM start, you can probably make a break fast stop around 7.45 AM depending on your speed.
APV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 20:00   #10030
BHPian

Made the trip to Kumarakom from Coimbatore. Started around 6.45am and got to Aryas at Vadakkencherry by about 8.30am. BF of idly, vada, dosa was ok, the rest room can be much better. Reached Kumarakom Waterscapes resort by 12.45pm. The road just before Walayar is still not done. Similarly before and after Kuthiran the road works incomplete and could hardly see any work happening. At this rate the 4 lane dream through to Kochi from Coimbatore may be a 2, 3 years away, very frustrating. For those who drive at night that will be bad news. On return, broke journey at Cherai Club Mahindra for a day and returned via the route suggested here. Pretty neat in terms of almost no traffic though the State highway was narrow and winding. Did not stop as we had enjoyed the large CM breakfast. The traffic getting into Coimbatore was crazy and yet we made it in 4 hours from Cherai Resort.

Cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 20:19   #10031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Made the trip to Kumarakom from Coimbatore. . On return, broke journey at Cherai Club Mahindra for a day

Cheers
Hope you had a wonderful trip. Pl. Publish a travelogue with more details.
Old 26th November 2016, 10:36   #10032
BHPian

One correction; on return trip from CM Cherai to Coimbatore, we missed the left turn to Pallipuram Road and went by what Google map showed. It was through Republic road, Manjaly road, Angamaly. Overall distance increased by about 4 kilometers, in stead of 176 it was 180. But as I said the road was great, winding, narrow and all that. But as long as we drove carefully it was quite fine.

Republic road was actually wider than Pallipuram road which we took from Vypin/Fort Kochi when we were returning from Kumarakom. Before hitting Cherai beach, we detoured slightly and visited the old Synagogue, Jew town, did some some shopping. Our son was so impressed with a shop there which offered some excellent cake and French press coffee! That detour before hitting CM Cherai for lunch was worth it We were lucky to spot a dolphin in Cherai beach just in front of CM RESORT itself. By the way those who have not been there recently, the beach is more accessible and hugely cleaner.

Kumarakom bird sanctuary itself was a let down but Waterscape the lake front cottage was fantastic. The Vembanad lake is being gobbled up by water hyacinth and there is no attempt by the government. With the monsoon failure, the natural process of cleaning has not worked this year ( the normal monsoon rains sweep away the hyacinth to the seas). But in Taj property they have kept their water front clear of hyacinth. Yes, son said Taj karimeen polichathu was awesome. Sorry not much of a travelogue writer

Cheers

Last edited by ampere : 26th November 2016 at 14:55. Reason: Formatted post
Old 26th November 2016, 14:03   #10033
Senior - BHPian

I drove down from Bangalore (Bannerghata road) to Palakkad. We left around 10.30 pm on 23rd night and reached Palakkad at 5.30 am. This was entirely night driving. We were three of us out of which two of us drove half way each. The journey was not too tiresome. And for a first time entire night drive, I think we did pretty ok.

The best part was the entire stretch was toll free, thanks to the demonetization. So this easily saved us another 30 to 45 minutes. The road condition is pretty good all through, except for some diversions closer to Avinashi. Our return was similar, left Palakkad at 8.40 pm and reached Bangalore at 3.15 am. incl 30 minutes stop. 6 hours driving time was nice.

The route we followed was Bannerghata road, EC, Krishnagiri, Salem, Dharmapuri, Avinashi bypass, Coimbatore bypass, Palakkad. I think once the toll collection restarts, the driving time will increase by another 30-45 minutes.
Old 26th November 2016, 16:39   #10034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Similarly before and after Kuthiran the road works incomplete and could hardly see any work happening. At this rate the 4 lane dream through to Kochi from Coimbatore may be a 2, 3 years away, very frustrating.
I think all the work happening now is inside the tunnels. It was reported recently (within last 1 week) in Mathrubhumi that the tunnels will be completed by year end and the whole stretch will be open for traffic by March.
Old 26th November 2016, 22:19   #10035
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
The road condition is pretty good all through, except for some diversions closer to Avinashi.
There are no diversions anywhere between Bangalore and Neelambur (where the L&T Coimbatore bypass starts), I think you are referring to the section between Madukkarai (where Coimbatore bypass ends) and Walayar. This section has work in progress mostly on overbridges and hence the diversions onto the service road.

Last edited by NPV : 26th November 2016 at 22:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks