Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2016, 17:27   #10051
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Any issues with driving a KL registered car in tamilnadu? Planning to drive from Bangalore to Cochin this Friday.
Make sure you have a valid PUC, that's the most common thing cops check in Kerala in addition to vehicle RC and insurance.
Unlike the RTO drive in Karnataka against overstaying out of state cars (Karnataka wanted life time tax from these cars) there is nothing similar in Kerala that I'm aware of.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 17:43   #10052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Make sure you have a valid PUC, that's the most common thing cops check in Kerala in addition to vehicle RC and insurance.
Unlike the RTO drive in Karnataka against overstaying out of state cars (Karnataka wanted life time tax from these cars) there is nothing similar in Kerala that I'm aware of.
Hey thanks a lot for the Info, Also wanted to know if there are any issues of violence or stone pelting in TN in lieu of Amma's demise
Old 7th December 2016, 19:50   #10053
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Also wanted to know if there are any issues of violence or stone pelting in TN in lieu of Amma's demise
Haven't heard of anything untoward, everything is normal in Chennai and across Tamil Nadu in general from what I've read and heard today. When are you traveling and what is your final destination ?
Old 7th December 2016, 20:19   #10054
BHPian

I traveled Chennai to Bangalore today, All in control, not even a single chaos around. Hope the same in your way too !!
trtraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 23:08   #10055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Sounds right. Roads till Thodupuzha are fine; these are roads I travel couple of times a year.
Thanks. I am sure the Moolamattam route would be very scenic, but could be slower and have got concerns about the road
condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I am not sure, but Kanjar-Wagamon route which you take when going through Thodupuzha may not be in good condition.
Never looked at this option to reach Vagamon. Some stretches per Google are not even SH.

Last edited by ampere : 12th December 2016 at 11:22. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 9th December 2016, 20:27   #10056
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Back from a trip to Palakkad, absolutely no issues anywhere in Tamil Nadu.
L&T Coimbatore bypass is the biggest pain. We traveled on this section around 7pm. Volume of traffic is very high, most vehicles are on high beam and do not dim their lights. There are way too many junctions and cross traffic simply do not care for their safety when merging, the straight traffic just needs to be watchful. After paying the toll at Neelambur, all other toll plazas where we need to show the receipt for validation had just one booth open so an unnecessary queue was created at each plaza. On asking the attendant at one of the plaza's, he said they are short staffed. Similar situation on the return journey but was around noon so manageable.
Salem was fine in both directions, onward around 4:30pm and return around 3:30pm.

Last edited by NPV : 9th December 2016 at 20:33.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2016, 11:35   #10057
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Update from Palakkad trip:
Lots of new eateries have come up, here are some of them that I made a mental note of (All references based on Bangalore-Coimbatore/Palakkad direction)
1. Udupi Ruchi - About 2Km before the Palladam/Mangalam turn off (left side)

2. Hotel Aryaas - About 31Km after Neelambur L&T Coimbatore bypass toll. On right side, in the work in progress section of the road

3. The Rice Bowl (looked very nice from outside) - About 41Km after Neelambur L&T Coimbatore bypass toll. On left side, in the work in progress section of the road at a place called Vattapara about 2Km before Walayar toll plaza

*Many other eateries like "Sre Saravana Bhavan" (2 outlets), Tiruppur Annapurna (2 outlets), Gowrishankar, even a new "Avinashi Bai Hotel" have opened shop on the Chengapalli-Neelambur section, just could not keep track/remember the distances for all of them

Last edited by NPV : 10th December 2016 at 11:36.
Old 10th December 2016, 16:18   #10058
BHPian

Planning to drive from Wayanad to Allepy in January . Google Maps shows one route through Guruvayur and one through Thrissur . I've read equally bad reviews for both routes . Based on the current road conditions which one would be better ? Start time 6 am from Wayanad . Thanks .
Old 10th December 2016, 17:13   #10059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujair View Post
Planning to drive from Wayanad to Allepy in January . Google Maps shows one route through Guruvayur and one through Thrissur . I've read equally bad reviews for both routes . Based on the current road conditions which one would be better ? Start time 6 am from Wayanad . Thanks .
You driving on working day or Sunday? How familiar are you with Kerala towns/roads?

If you are new to Kerala, I suggest Kozhikode Bypass - Kottakal - Kunnumkulam - Thrissur - Allepy ( the straight forward route).

which ever route you choose, I suggest you start by 5 AM so you can clear Kozhikode town before traffic picks up. Use google maps to navigate you.
Old 10th December 2016, 20:20   #10060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
You driving on working day or Sunday? How familiar are you with Kerala towns/roads?

If you are new to Kerala, I suggest Kozhikode Bypass - Kottakal - Kunnumkulam - Thrissur - Allepy ( the straight forward route).

which ever route you choose, I suggest you start by 5 AM so you can clear Kozhikode town before traffic picks up. Use google maps to navigate you.
I'll be driving on a Thursday and I've never driven in kerala before.Thanks, I'll take the route via Thrissur as suggested .

The route via Guruvayur looks to be senic though, follows the coast closely. Does it have high traffic and/or bad roads?
Old 10th December 2016, 21:16   #10061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll be driving on a Thursday and I've never driven in kerala before.Thanks, I'll take the route via Thrissur as suggested .

The route via Guruvayur looks to be senic though, follows the coast closely. Does it have high traffic and/or bad roads?
Roads are mostly good. Traffic will be bad in most of the Kerala roads during 8 AM to 8 PM time.

I suggested Thrissur road because you will get more wider and 4 lane roads in that route. Guruvayur road is almost all 2 lane till Eranakulam. Scenic is subjective, but dont expect to have lot of sea sightings on the way.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2016, 21:37   #10062
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Roads should be good. High traffic is a given on most roads in Kerala. In anycase from a scenic perspective, although maybe a little better, would not be too different from the main route.

Since it is first time you are driving in Kerala, keep in mind that the roads are 2 laned, not very wide and extremely high on traffic- especially the section you are going to drive. So can be frustrating driving during peak times. Patience is the key.
Old 12th December 2016, 10:49   #10063

Trivandrum - Kodai
---------------------
Planning to take
Trivandrum -> Adoor-> Ranni -> Erumeli -> Kumily -> Periyakulam -> Kodai for onward journey
and
Kodai -> Rajapalayam -> Shenkottai -> Thenmala -> Trivandrum on return

Car : WagonR
Anyone has travelled these roads recently - how is the road condition?

Not keen to take Nagacoil-> Madurai highway even though it may be faster.

Thanks
Sreekumar
Old 12th December 2016, 13:30   #10064

Hello people.

I am driving down from Hyderabad to Kerala next weekend. Wanted some inputs/views on:

(a) Whats the best way of bypassing Bangalore? I was thinking of taking a Left at devanahalli and going via Hoskote-ChikkaTirupathi-Hosur. (Google marks this as 648 but I've heard people mention this as NH207.)

(b) If i start from Hyderabad at 6:00 am, will I be able to make it to Salem by nightfall ? I'm driving an Isuzu V-cross.

(c) Whats the condition of the road from Coimbatore to Kochi via Palghat/Thrissur ? Last time I drove in 2014 this stretch was a nightmare.

Google baba has also suggested another route through Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Raani to get to Tiruvalla (my final destination). Is that better? Or will it be full of Ayyappa devotees in overloaded vehicles?

A friend mentioned that from Kumily the roads will be narrow and windy. On the other hand going through Kochi-Alleppey there will be heavy traffic.
Old 12th December 2016, 13:44   #10065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongura View Post
Hello people.

(c) Whats the condition of the road from Coimbatore to Kochi via Palghat/Thrissur ? Last time I drove in 2014 this stretch was a nightmare.
4 laning work is in progress Coimbatore to Walayar stretch and majority of it is completed, you can consider this stretch as more than good and can do good speeds. After Walayar till Vadakkenchery is 4 lane and is drivers delight. Here till Mannuthy bypass 2 lane with heavy traffic, you can rate the road surface condition as not bad. You will get 4 lane from here till Cherthala.
gadadhar is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks