Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2017, 09:32   #10201
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Have you tried the Kolappuram - Mukkam - Thamarassery route? I was told that the roads are great and saves a lot of time
I have no idea about this route. Does this save time and distance between Tirur and Thamarassery? If this is indeed good, We could bypass Kozhikode malapparambu area, Kunnamangalam, Koduvally towns. Also, I guess you would join the NH at chungam, effectively bypassing Thamarassery town also.
Old 4th January 2017, 10:15   #10202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Does this save time and distance between Tirur and Thamarassery? If this is indeed good, We could bypass Kozhikode malapparambu area, Kunnamangalam, Koduvally towns. Also, I guess you would join the NH at chungam, effectively bypassing Thamarassery town also.
It doesn't. Its utility is if you already know driving through Calicut is going to be a pain - say one of those days when some part or the other decides to "blockade government offices at district headquarters" or "hold public convention on Calicut beach" or suchlike. For every Koduvally you avoid, you have to go through an Arekkode or a Mukkam. And anyway, the chungam junction is a major traffic hotspot in Thamarassery town, no?

The Malaparamba area when you are driving out of Calicut is not a big problem (it is, when you are driving into the city). If you are scared of getting stuck at Malaparamba, then exit the bypass at Thondayad and use Devagiri-Karanthur (which is in a bit of bad shape but not un-motorable) to join NH 212.
Old 4th January 2017, 10:27   #10203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It doesn't.
The Malaparamba area when you are driving out of Calicut is not a big problem (it is, when you are driving into the city). If you are scared of getting stuck at Malaparamba, then exit the bypass at Thondayad and use Devagiri-Karanthur (which is in a bit of bad shape but not un-motorable) to join NH 212.
Alright, then. But are Mukkam and Areekode as congested as some other towns like Edakkara, Chungathara, Nilambur etc?
I did try the Karanthur-AWH college- Medical college-thondayad route once. Was in shambles then. But that was 6 months ago.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 10:29   #10204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
I have no idea about this route. Does this save time and distance between Tirur and Thamarassery? If this is indeed good, We could bypass Kozhikode malapparambu area, Kunnamangalam, Koduvally towns. Also, I guess you would join the NH at chungam, effectively bypassing Thamarassery town also.
Google Maps gives a good picture. No real difference in distance or time.

All Roads to Kerala-tham.jpg

Since your destination is not exactly Tirur, this may be more useful as you can use Vattathani-Venniyur to join the highway and then deviate from Kolappuram. But again, this deviation is the standard route to Calicut Airport from large parts of Malappuram Dt. So that traffic will be high.

Overall, good option to keep in mind when we know crossing Calicut is going to be a pain (For example on 31st December evening, all roads in Calicut and also leading in and out of Calicut were heavily jammed). Better than Thamarassery-Mukkam-Manjeri-Tirur.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 11:10   #10205
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, planning to travel to Vythiri resort near Kalpetta in Kerala sometime next week and need some advise on the following:

- What would be the best route if I am planning to visit Nanjangud temple enroute?

- I understand that I must go through Sulthan Bathery to reach Kalpetta, from where the resort is few KMs away. Is this the right way?

- In continuation from my Point 1, how are the road conditions along the suggested route?

Thank you for all the information and really appreciate your time.
Old 5th January 2017, 11:21   #10206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey guys, planning to travel to Vythiri resort near Kalpetta in Kerala sometime next week and need some advise on the following:
If you must go to Nanjangud, then take the Kanakpura road up to Mysore Ring road and then join the Ooty/Calicut highway. Kanakpura road had some work going on in small patches few months back, but rest is smooth.
Yes, through Sulthan Bathery is the correct route.
Roads are good throughout. I don't know about the one from Sulthan Bathery to Vythiri though, as few of the roads we encountered around the Wayanad region were in a relatively bad state.
Safe Journey to you!

Last edited by ampere : 5th January 2017 at 14:10. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 11:48   #10207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

- What would be the best route if I am planning to visit Nanjangud temple enroute?

- I understand that I must go through Sulthan Bathery to reach Kalpetta, from where the resort is few KMs away. Is this the right way?

- In continuation from my Point 1, how are the road conditions along the suggested route?
If you are starting on a non peak day or time (peak time can be defined as starting from Bangalore,Saturday/Long weekend morning after 5.30/6 am, returning after 3-4PM from Mysore side on Sundays/end of long weekends), take the Bangalore Mysore-Turn left at Columbia Asia Jn to Mysore Ring Road-Nanjangud-Gundlepet-Bathery-Kalpetta-Vythiri.

If peak time, then take Bangalore-Kanakpura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore Ring Road Jn-Turn left and then the route above.

Road conditions are pristine all through.4 lane roads apart till Nanjangud and an extremely good 2 lane roads there after. Expect some level of heavy traffic from Bathery to Vythiri.

If you are headed out in your GT TDI, it will be a very enjoyable drive. Watch the speedometer closely-Especially in the stretch between Najangud and Bandipur Forest Entry.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 5th January 2017 at 11:51.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 11:52   #10208
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The route to Vythiri is via Gundlupet-Sulthan Bathery-Kalpetta. At Vythiri you will need to turn off towards Vythiri Resorts - please check with the resort folks on the condition of this road, used to be kind of muddy, inclined and with stones too, bit stressful on low GC cars.

Now, for Bangalore-Gundlupet via Nanjangud since you want to visit the temple, options are:
1. Start early, take Mysore Road route. At Columbia Asia signal of Mysore Ring Road, take the left ring and exit onto Nanjangud Road (it merges just after the Mysore Palace and Kamat Madhuvan) and turn left and you will be heading to Nanjangud. Visit the temple and continue on the same road (after the temple there is another exit back to Nanjangud Road a little further). At Gundlupet, turn right (straight is for Masinagudi/Gudalur/Ooty) and you will head towards Bathery via the forest. If you're very early at Mysore, you can stop for breakfast inside the city like Pai/Siddartha near bus stand and proceed towards Nanjangud.
Road conditions are good, the work on Mysore-Nanjangud stretch is almost over as mentioned by @Rajeevraj in an earlier post.

2. You can also take Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur and reach the Mysore Ring Road's left ring directly. Turn left onto the Ring road and exit at the Nanjangud Road and continue as in option #1.
Road conditions are good, a small patch inside Bannur town, canoe negotiated easily. Options for food breaks a very few, mostly at Kanakapura town - Vasu Hotel and Sri Srinivas Sagar.

EDIT:Rajeevraj has listed the same options, our posts overlapped and didn't see it before I posted

Last edited by NPV : 5th January 2017 at 11:55.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 14:39   #10209
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Need help from Thrissur experts:
For someone heading to Pushpagiri, Punkunnam in Thrissur which is the best route to enter Thrissur from the NH 47 ? Gmaps is suggesting the exit near Mannuthy (goes via the Thrissur Zoo), Aswini junction and onwards to Punkunnam. Is this the best route ? Any landmarks to spot the turn off on NH 47 ?
Old 5th January 2017, 14:54   #10210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Need help from Thrissur experts:
For someone heading to Pushpagiri, Punkunnam in Thrissur which is the best route to enter Thrissur from the NH 47 ? Gmaps is suggesting the exit near Mannuthy (goes via the Thrissur Zoo), Aswini junction and onwards to Punkunnam. Is this the best route ? Any landmarks to spot the turn off on NH 47 ?
There are two exits from Mannuthy- one just before reaching Mannuthy and one just after it. Both can be used to reach Punkunnam.

The exit after Mannuthy is the commonly used one. It takes you to east fort and from there you will have to take a right to reach zoo and then Punkunnam. But this route is busy most of the time and a traffic jam is usual before east fort.

The exit before Mannuthy will take you directly near zoo, from where you can go to Punkunnam. The road is a bit narrow but traffic snarls are rare and you can avoid east fort traffic. I usually prefer this route. The exit at Mannuthy is immediately after a convent (I think the name is Holy Family), on the right.

Last edited by deerhunter : 5th January 2017 at 15:14.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 14:59   #10211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, planning to travel to Vythiri resort near Kalpetta in Kerala sometime next week and need some advise on the following
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Watch the speedometer closely-Especially in the stretch between Najangud and Bandipur Forest Entry.
Not only in that stretch - make sure you stick to speeds below 70 kmph after you enter Kerala - there is at least one interceptor stationed almost all the time at varying locations between Sulthan Bathery and Kalpetta (most common being the straight stretch of road between Kakkavayal and Muttil)

Also ensure that all papers of your car are up to date (including PUC certificate) - very frequently you'll encounter police squads checking for papers between the forest section exit and Sulthan Bathery.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 15:51   #10212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post

Yes, through Sulthan Bathery is the correct route.

Safe Journey to you!
Thank you Rohan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

If you are headed out in your GT TDI, it will be a very enjoyable drive. Watch the speedometer closely-Especially in the stretch between Najangud and Bandipur Forest Entry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Not only in that stretch - make sure you stick to speeds below 70 kmph after you enter Kerala - there is at least one interceptor stationed almost all the time at varying locations between Sulthan Bathery and Kalpetta (most common being the straight stretch of road between Kakkavayal and Muttil)
Yes Rajeevraj I am headed out in my GT TDI and even through really well tarred highways, I tend to stay well within the 'Braking Limits' of the car.

Thank you kala for the heads up and I am more of a Drive Safe is better than Got BHP kinda guy.

And yes, I always have all my vehicle papers at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

EDIT:Rajeevraj has listed the same options, our posts overlapped and didn't see it before I posted
Thank you NPV for the suggestion and your time.
Old 5th January 2017, 18:31   #10213
BHPian

Alright, here is the thing; from Bangalore to Kerala, while trying to skip Salaem bye pass, I took the Omalur-Tharamangalam route but ended up driving through Sankagiri town in stead of joining the NH 7. Can anyone share the google map particularly the stretch from Omalur - Tharamangalam to NH 7 please? Thanks. Cheers
Old 5th January 2017, 18:42   #10214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
from Bangalore to Kerala, while trying to skip Salaem bye pass, I took the Omalur-Tharamangalam route but ended up driving through Sankagiri town in stead of joining the NH 7. Can anyone share the google map particularly the stretch from Omalur - Tharamangalam to NH 7 please? Thanks. Cheers
Right. The direct route does not have an interchange with NH 47 (note: not NH 7). When coming from Tharamangalam, at a village called Konganapuram you have to take a right turn towards Idappadi. On the outskirts of Idappadi village you turn left again, to eventually join NH 47 at a point that is 5-6 km ahead.

Map link: https://goo.gl/maps/xBLyi9mhbGS2

Edit: from the map, it looks like if you had turned LEFT instead of going into Sankari town you could have merged with NH 47 at the point where the Sankari bypass starts. This option doesn't look as painful as driving through the town.

Last edited by binand : 5th January 2017 at 18:44.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 20:18   #10215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Alright, here is the thing; from Bangalore to Kerala, while trying to skip Salaem bye pass, I took the Omalur-Tharamangalam route but ended up driving through Sankagiri town in stead of joining the NH 7. Can anyone share the google map particularly the stretch from Omalur - Tharamangalam to NH 7 please? Thanks. Cheers
Last week I drove from Kochi to Bangalore. To avoid Salem, I took the Edappadi-Jalagandapuram-Nangavalli-Mecheri (SH 220)-Thoppur route. Beautiful stretch with winding roads and minimal traffic.
The best part was the Mecheri-Thoppur road. Newly laid and I drove on this stretch around 7 PM. No issues whatsoever.
suresh_gs is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed