Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2017, 20:50   #10216
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Right. The direct route does not have an interchange with NH 47 (note: not NH 7). When coming from Tharamangalam, at a village called Konganapuram you have to take a right turn towards Idappadi.
Can try this as well: (A modified version of what you suggested) Route Link

Its works. Nice single and avoids Idappadi. But you need a GPS to know where to exit once you are on the Idapaddi road.

(@NPV had originally pointed this option)

Last edited by ampere : 5th January 2017 at 20:53.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 22:06   #10217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Need help from Thrissur experts:
For someone heading to Pushpagiri, Punkunnam in Thrissur which is the best route to enter Thrissur from the NH 47 ? Gmaps is suggesting the exit near Mannuthy (goes via the Thrissur Zoo), Aswini junction and onwards to Punkunnam. Is this the best route ? Any landmarks to spot the turn off on NH 47 ?
Mannuthy itself is a bottleneck with the flyover under construction. Its on a turn and you will not miss it. Even if you miss it, take the next right and enter the Thrissur. You will find sign boards that points to Shornur. This will take you through the Museum Road, then instead of turning off into Shornur Road head straight to Poonkunam.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 22:52   #10218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need help from Thrissur experts:
For someone heading to Pushpagiri, Punkunnam in Thrissur which is the best route to enter Thrissur from the NH 47 ? Gmaps is suggesting the exit near Mannuthy (goes via the Thrissur Zoo), Aswini junction and onwards to Punkunnam. Is this the best route ? Any landmarks to spot the turn off on NH 47 ?
Just to add to what others have already mentioned,you would cross the Veterinary college to your left,followed by the curve on the NH,where you have to take a right towards (Parvattany-Jubilee Mission Hospital-East Fort).Look for Mayura Inn at the point where you have to leave the NH.Photo attached.It would be to your right.

https://goo.gl/maps/DHSo3ZmPwgK2

All Roads to Kerala-1478832737948.jpg

From Mannuthy to Sitarama temple(where the kalyana mantapam is located),(trivia-its all Kalyan owners' houses area) .I suggest you go via the round-west fort junction-guruvayur road-mandapam as the traffic jam at Ashwini and again at Patturaikal is horrible at almost all times.

https://goo.gl/maps/AF7K7h1R3kA2

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 5th January 2017 at 22:53.
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 10:01   #10219
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Right. The direct route does not have an interchange with NH 47 (note: not NH 7). When coming from Tharamangalam, at a village called Konganapuram you have to take a right turn towards Idappadi. On the outskirts of Idappadi village you turn left again, to eventually join NH 47 at a point that is 5-6 km ahead.

Map link: https://goo.gl/maps/xBLyi9mhbGS2
The other option is to continue straight on SH 86 further (without taking the right turn towards Idappadi) and then turning right further ahead (this village road of 3-4Km is narrow but in good condition), merging with the Idappadi road closer to the NH 47 junction (marked with a board for "Kuppanur" near the tea shop and bakery at the junction).
https://goo.gl/maps/GAygYAPBY152

EDIT:oops, just saw that amp has posted about this option as well in another post.

Last edited by NPV : 6th January 2017 at 10:03.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 10:18   #10220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Can try this as well: (A modified version of what you suggested) Route Link

Its works. Nice single and avoids Idappadi. But you need a GPS to know where to exit once you are on the Idapaddi road.

(@NPV had originally pointed this option)
Quote:
The other option is to continue straight on SH 86 further (without taking the right turn towards Idappadi) and then turning right further ahead (this village road of 3-4Km is narrow but in good condition), merging with the Idappadi road closer to the NH 47 junction (marked with a board for "Kuppanur" near the tea shop and bakery at the junction).
https://goo.gl/maps/GAygYAPBY152

EDIT:oops, just saw that amp has posted about this option as well in another post.

I have been taking the Edappadi - Tharamangalam - Omalur route. I think this is longer by around 3 KMS but the road is in excellent condition. The total length is 46 KMS and I cover it in 46 -50 mins. Took this route for both my onward and return journeys this time (Dec 22nd and Jan 1st).
Old 6th January 2017, 10:21   #10221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I have been taking the Edappadi - Tharamangalam - Omalur route. I think this is longer by around 3 KMS but the road is in excellent condition. The total length is 46 KMS and I cover it in 46 -50 mins. Took this route for both my onward and return journeys this time (Dec 22nd and Jan 1st).
Last week while returning from Kochi, I took the Edappadi-Jalagandapuram-Nangavalli-Mecheri-Thoppur route. Very good roads all the way and the surprise package was the excellent condition of the Mecheri-Thoppur Road.
Till you touch Edappadi town, the stretch is full of twists and turns. Nevertheless this route can be tried.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 10:27   #10222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Last week while returning from Kochi, I took the Edappadi-Jalagandapuram-Nangavalli-Mecheri-Thoppur route. Very good roads all the way and the surprise package was the excellent condition of the Mecheri-Thoppur Road.
Till you touch Edappadi town, the stretch is full of twists and turns. Nevertheless this route can be tried.
Could you please post the maps link?
Old 6th January 2017, 10:33   #10223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Could you please post the maps link?
As you proceed on the Salem-Kochi highway towards Salem, you will see a board showing Sankagiri to the right and Edappadi to the left. Take the left route which happens to be SH 220.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Vi...8568!3e0?hl=en

All Roads to Kerala-edappadi.png

Last edited by suresh_gs : 6th January 2017 at 10:35.
Old 6th January 2017, 10:36   #10224
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone traveled recently from Kodaikanal towards Ernakulam via Theni?

The route is Kodaikanal - Periyakulam - Theni - Bodi - Rajakumari - Selliampara - Thalakode - Kothamangalam - Ekm. (271 KM)

All Roads to Kerala-capture.jpg

Want to know the road condition. Can a sedan do it?

Or should we stick to Theni, Cumbum, Kumily, Pala, Ekm? (305 KM) This one sure sounds better.

Will be going via Palakkad, Pollachi. So, don't want a repeat of that for the return journey.
Old 6th January 2017, 10:49   #10225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Has anyone traveled recently from Kodaikanal towards Ernakulam via Theni?

The route is Kodaikanal - Periyakulam - Theni - Bodi - Rajakumari - Selliampara - Thalakode - Kothamangalam - Ekm. (271 KM)

Attachment 1592508

Want to know the road condition. Can a sedan do it?

Or should we stick to Theni, Cumbum, Kumily, Pala, Ekm? (305 KM) This one sure sounds better.

Will be going via Palakkad, Pollachi. So, don't want a repeat of that for the return journey.
Even I am looking for the road condition about a route suggestion to reach Trichy through Rajakkad Adimaly Kothamangalam. I was also suggested a route which I suspect as if it exists - Muvattupuzha-Paingottur-Oonnukal-Adimaly-Rajakkad-Chemmannar-Udumanchola-Thevaram to Theni. Has anyone aware if above route is good and safe for private vehicles?
Old 6th January 2017, 11:56   #10226
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
A bit confused after seeing the 2 map links.
The West Fort part is clear, but not the East Fort part

Are you saying I take the East Fort road directly like this and go via the Swaraj Round to West Fort and then to Punkunnam ? https://goo.gl/maps/pQNncAebk4k

Or are you saying I go around Jubilee Mission Hospital to East Fort junction (reach East Fort from the South instead of directly from East!), then Swaraj Round and West Fort ?
https://goo.gl/maps/CQgwJuySTQH2

Or avoid East Fort completely like this ? (this one seems very confusing to me, chances of heavy traffic and getting lost are high I think on this!)
https://goo.gl/maps/FFCcYb1xU3M2

Last edited by NPV : 6th January 2017 at 11:58.
Old 6th January 2017, 12:02   #10227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A bit confused after seeing the 2 map links.
The West Fort part is clear, but not the East Fort part

Are you saying I take the East Fort road directly like this and go via the Swaraj Round to West Fort and then to Punkunnam ? https://goo.gl/maps/pQNncAebk4k

Or are you saying I go around Jubilee Mission Hospital to East Fort junction (reach East Fort from the South instead of directly from East!), then Swaraj Round and West Fort ?
https://goo.gl/maps/CQgwJuySTQH2

Or avoid East Fort completely like this ? (this one seems very confusing to me, chances of heavy traffic and getting lost are high I think on this!)
https://goo.gl/maps/FFCcYb1xU3M2
I think I used Jubilee MIssion as one of the points on the map and it took me to the entrance on the Kuttanellur road instead of the entrance on the Palakkad-Thrissur road,hence the confusion-sorry for that.

Here is the correct one.Keep on the palakkad thrissur road,its one straight road all the way to the Swaraj round.take a semi circle of the round and take mg road (bang opposite the vadakkumnathan main nada) and go straight till west fort junction(its a messy junction with so many roads intersecting,just take the right at circle,u dont have to go round the circle to go right,they let you take a straight right)from there on its one straight road to the mandapam (you will cut across the main thrissur kunnamkulam road at Punkunnam junction and go straight towards the SeethaRamaswamy temple- the area where the mandapam is located)

https://goo.gl/maps/eEknYa9V3Qt
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 13:11   #10228

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Last week I drove from Kochi to Bangalore. To avoid Salem, I took the Edappadi-Jalagandapuram-Nangavalli-Mecheri (SH 220)-Thoppur route....
Thank you Suresh. Very useful tip....

Does this route allow you to by-pass the Thoppur toll gate?
Old 6th January 2017, 13:29   #10229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Don't think so. The Thoppur toll is a long way beyond Thoppur town, nearer to Dharmapuri - is it not?

But take Mecheri-Pennagaram-Palacode-Rayakottai-Hosur-Attibele and you are on the complete toll avoidance route to Bangalore from Kerala.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 13:49   #10230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Thank you Suresh. Very useful tip....

Let me share my experience on this. The route I mentioned does not by pass the Thoppur toll plaza
In my case after reaching Thoppur, I proceeded on the highway till I reached Hotel Sharvesh Inn for dinner.
After completing dinner, i proceeded on the NH only to find 1 km traffic jam at the Thoppur toll plaza. The cop who was stationed there diverted the vehicles to the left that by passes the toll plaza. There were other vehicles along with mine.
The alternate route is a highly treacherous route with broken roads all the way. It was past 9 PM when i went on that stretch. Very desolate but we had no other option rather than waiting in the jam.
See the below map that shows the detour. You have to proceed very slowly due to the broken tarmac. Any vehicle with low GC better watch out. Finally came out of the ordeal
IMO this detour is not worth taking. Better to pay the toll amount. This is coming from the mouth of a person who wishes to avoid paying toll and take alternate routes instead.

All Roads to Kerala-thoppur.png
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed